What's new

For Honor

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I think I'm not alone in liking unreactable attacks being at a minimum. I like a game we play, not plan.
I would agree with you if this game had a high skill ceiling. Unfortunately, it doesn't. You're either turtling while waiting for a mistake or take risks and hope the character you play can afford to.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I would agree with you if this game had a high skill ceiling. Unfortunately, it doesn't. You're either turtling while waiting for a mistake or take risks and hope the character you play can afford to.
I just don't see it this way. All the high level matches I have seen have had a balance between offense and defense. Give the unviable a little help. Taper down the unreasonably strong. The skill ceiling is fine. No amount of practice lets players go on auto and that's a good thing.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I just don't see it this way. All the high level matches I have seen have had a balance between offense and defense. Give the unviable a little help. Taper down the unreasonably strong. The skill ceiling is fine. No amount of practice lets players go on auto and that's a good thing.
That's because high level play includes characters that can go on the offense. That's not something most of the cast can do at the highest level.

GAV

That's because high level play includes characters that can go on the offense. That's not something most of the cast can do at the highest level.
Thats why you regulate things by tweaking the characters slightly. Messing with the game's meta isn't the way to go.

Changing the game completely isn't the way. What they are doing is the way to go. They will continue to learn and tweak. Going in heavy-handed would just alienate the base - especially when players spent money on gear for characters already. Ripping the rug out from under a player in a game with RPG elements is the quickest way to get players to move on.

So, buff the bottom - and be careful not to ruin those at the top. They also have to keep sight of what is so addicting and adding more unreactable attacks would be a fast way to ruin that.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Best way to universally nerf defense is to add way more chip damage on block. Do this and then either make parrying be executed with a light, or make it its own animation that you can't cancel.

Notice how in those matches all the characters that you see either have a mixup or an unreactable attack.

If you have neither and no other form of punishment against an opponent that is blocking than the character is absolutely useless

Thats why you regulate things by tweaking the characters slightly. Messing with the game's meta isn't the way to go.

Changing the game completely isn't the way. What they are doing is the way to go. They will continue to learn and tweak. Going in heavy-handed would just alienate the base - especially when players spent money on gear for characters already. Ripping the rug out from under a player in a game with RPG elements is the quickest way to get players to move on.

So, buff the bottom - and be careful not to ruin those at the top. They also have to keep sight of what is so addicting and adding more unreactable attacks would be a fast way to ruin that.
Or you know not having a playable game because more than half of the cast is unplayable and the rest have so many ridiculous options. There is nothing addicting about this game, the attacking is very 1 dimensional and the defense is also very one dimensional, hopefully you'll eventually see that with your delayed discoveries due to exclusively playing the party mode of this game

You wanna know why players are leaving, it's because the game is a fighter and is not meant to be played competitively with its current meta.

GAV

Or you know not having a playable game because more than half of the cast is unplayable and the rest have so many ridiculous options. There is nothing addicting about this game, the attacking is very 1 dimensional and the defense is also very one dimensional, hopefully you'll eventually see that with your delayed discoveries due to exclusively playing the party mode of this game

You wanna know why players are leaving, it's because the game is a fighter and is not meant to be played competitively with its current meta.
Maybe my vision will evolve and we will see things alike, but - for now - I am having a really good time with the game.

For now, here is how it usually goes...
:p

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

This mofo is mmaaddddd.

I am gonna say though, my enthusiasm has slipped away almost completely. Whenever I play, the game shows me how fun it can be, but its like SFV ranked, I have to wade through this pond of shit to find a good game that's not someone just trolling ledges or abusing something that's broken. I get that stuff like Goki's unlocked play is just how it is, and how he's played, but that doesn't equate to anything all that fun to me.

If i come back to the game, I'm picking up PK. Not because I think she's gonna like auto-win for me or anything - hell, Ive played Warden and WL almost exclusively anyway, so its not like Ive been on anything but top tier - but her ability to just kinda do whatever she wants coupled with her mobility makes her sound fun. The fact that she's still kinda ridiculous helps too.

Reactions: GAV

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Watching this 2v2 tournament.

Brawl is infinitely better than duels. I think Brawl should be the tournament standard. It makes characters like Orochi and Berserker super viable. Orochi storm rush and Berserkers light/heavy into switch target side spinning light is ridiculous. Especially with a Goki constantly doing Oni charge. I haven't even seen a Warlord or Conq. I think it's because there's so much better team comp combinations.

So much more strategy is involved compared to duels. And there's incentive to attack and not turtle the entire time. Also duels are super ResidentSleeper in comparison at high levels.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

Brawl is infinitely better than duels. I think Brawl should be the tournament standard. It makes characters like Orochi and Berserker super viable. Orochi storm rush and Berserkers light/heavy into switch target side spinning light is ridiculous. Especially with a Goki constantly doing Oni charge. I haven't even seen a Warlord or Conq. I think it's because there's so much better team comp combinations.

So much more strategy is involved compared to duels. And there's incentive to attack and not turtle the entire time. Also duels are super ResidentSleeper in comparison at high levels.
I agree. If you turtle in 2v2 and your teammate dies, it's almost a guaranteed loss unless your opponents don't know how to gank properly.
Best part in 2v2 is when opponents try to go for early gank and get punished when your teammate gets Revenge and you're still there to back him up.
I really love 2v2 and hope that casuals get over the whole honor back2back 1v1 playstyle that's vague as fuck anyways because of shitty self-imposed rules.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I agree. If you turtle in 2v2 and your teammate dies, it's almost a guaranteed loss unless your opponents don't know how to gank properly.
Best part in 2v2 is when opponents try to go for early gank and get punished when your teammate gets Revenge and you're still there to back him up.
I really love 2v2 and hope that casuals get over the whole honor back2back 1v1 playstyle that's vague as fuck anyways because of shitty self-imposed rules.
Yeah the whole honor two separate 1v1's in brawl is dumb. It completely ignores the entire point of 2v2. I mean I understand it in casuals if both teams want it, but don't be surprised when you get ganked in a 2v2. Even if both teams want it, it still ignores what the purpose of Brawl is.

Brawls would be fun if they nerfed revenge a little. I play brawls aswell as duels but the problem with brawls is almost always its better not to go 2v1 because of how fast they get revenge.

GAV

Brawls would be fun if they nerfed revenge a little. I play brawls aswell as duels but the problem with brawls is almost always its better not to go 2v1 because of how fast they get revenge.
That is the entire point of revenge, to give the one a chance in 1v2's and 1v2+'s...

GAV

I understand but it comes instantly on a 2v1 gank even if all you do is hit them.
Thats because blocking attacks counts as damage right now so the revenge gains stack.

They're going to usually get revenge if you gank, but if you just back off a bit - it won't make a whole lot of difference.

Thats because blocking attacks counts as damage right now so the revenge gains stack.

They're going to usually get revenge if you gank, but if you just back off a bit - it won't make a whole lot of difference.
Yea no thats with bad players/character
Almost always in competitive its better to just 1v1 than 2v1 its not an honor thing its a more likely to win thing.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Yeah the whole honor two separate 1v1's in brawl is dumb. It completely ignores the entire point of 2v2. I mean I understand it in casuals if both teams want it, but don't be surprised when you get ganked in a 2v2. Even if both teams want it, it still ignores what the purpose of Brawl is.
Lately I got tired of randoms whining about honor so I started to play the boring 1v1 x2 gametype but it's super cancerous on how everyone has different self-imposed rules like no ledge kills or only use Revenge as defense or only use Revenge on 1v1 or no Revenge it's frustratingly reta.rded. It's worse when there are 2v2 orders so players who grind aka mostly Dominion players go on 2v2 and just shitpost and cry all day while they hypocritically disobey their own rules. Like for example if you're carrying your teammate and it's 2-2 with you vs 2 of them they'll just randomly gank you when near death then say on chat "memed". Hell it happens to me so often that I just opt for the 2v1 and win anyways because most of the time they're not good.

GAV

Lately I got tired of randoms whining about honor so I started to play the boring 1v1 x2 gametype but it's super cancerous on how everyone has different self-imposed rules like no ledge kills or only use Revenge as defense or only use Revenge on 1v1 or no Revenge it's frustratingly reta.rded. It's worse when there are 2v2 orders so players who grind aka mostly Dominion players go on 2v2 and just shitpost and cry all day while they hypocritically disobey their own rules. Like for example if you're carrying your teammate and it's 2-2 with you vs 2 of them they'll just randomly gank you when near death then say on chat "memed". Hell it happens to me so often that I just opt for the 2v1 and win anyways because most of the time they're not good.
If the internet is a jungle, playing online is jungle guerrilla warfare. Don't let it get to you. Embrace the chaos, let go of your ego (there are no written or unwritten rules - just game dynamics) and just have fun...

...or don't. No one cares about anyone's fun but their own. Those that do care about the fun of others tend to have a bad time.

This isn't meant to be insulting. Its a realization I came to long ago that has made me a much happier and more well adjusted gamer.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yea no thats with bad players/character
Almost always in competitive its better to just 1v1 than 2v1 its not an honor thing its a more likely to win thing.
Not true at all. Revenge is really only useful in 2v2, 1v2 you can just either wait it out or overwhelm your opponent. 1v2 revenge only works if the 2 players are really bad.

In 4v4 it's much different because of gear stats. Getting revenge much quicker and being able to one shot people is ridiculous. But none of that is in Brawl thankfully.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
If the internet is a jungle, playing online is jungle guerrilla warfare. Don't let it get to you. Embrace the chaos, let go of your ego (there are no written or unwritten rules - just game dynamics) and just have fun...

...or don't. No one cares about anyone's fun but their own. Those that do care about the fun of others tend to have a bad time.

This isn't meant to be insulting. Its a realization I came to long ago that has made me a much happier and more well adjusted gamer.
I personally don't care. I'm just saying that most casuals are cancer.