What's new

For Honor

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
How you broke down defense between SF and FH terrifies me... Thinking defense is harder in 4h than it is in SF is.. I. Man..............

That statement by itself goes a long way to making me think you have very a very fundamental misunderstanding of either game at a core level. Maybe you were just being flippant and Im taking it way out of context, christ I hope so.

Anyway,

Dominion will never be a popular tournament/serious competition mode.,. Why would it? it has nothing to do with the number of people playing that mode. Dominion takes what is interesting and unique about FH and strips a huge chunk of that away and leaves you with a very awkward point capture mode that something like a million other games all do super well. Overwatch anyone?

Dominion COULD be interesting, sure, but playing pick-up Dominion of a clusterfuck right now in every way. The game actively works AGAINST team work due to the way the systems work together (or dont, depending on how you look at it). GOOD, team focused, competitive games/modes SHOULD be designed to make coordination functionally easy. To get a GOOD game of Dominion I shouldn't need 8 people in two separate voice chats with a massive amount of very specific practice to make team work something with nuance and skill and not just HEY GRAB AND THEN EVERYONE USE TOP HEAVY. That's def a tactics, but its not something a meta and tournament community will build up around. A good competitive game will have teamwork built into its design, not have that design actively work to defeat teamwork.

For instance, you mention changing dance partners like its some magic, long-learned tactic that you have come to over the course a hundreds of hours of grinding competitive play... why? Because most people dont do it. So, the 'tech' we are discussing here is LITERALLY 'Change targets'. Something as simple as changing your target is advanced Dom tech that other people dont know/do. The issue here isnt just inexperience. The issue is changing targets is actively difficult to do. It really is. While in a group fight, where everything has hit stun, you have cycle targets to who you want and then GET to them, through bodies, through other players and attacks, etc. Unless they are right next to you, you probably have to unlock to get there any kind of fast, so you can sprint or maneuver with any precision. Then relock and do whatever. During this entire time, anyone on your team or the enemy team can fuck it all up. Yes, some characters have ways to close more effectively, but not everyone can. This is one example among a million.

I have NO problem with Dominion being balanced and made better, etc, but I DONT want to see Dominion-centric crap fucking up dueling modes, just like Im sure you all dont want dueling modes to fuck up Dom. I have no issue with Dom sitting around and being Dominion.. But I do think imagining it as a skillfull and competitive environment that gives you an understanding of the core game fundamentals is.. just wrong. I certainly havent run a million Dominion matches, but Ive run enough to know its a damn mess. Im sure, occasionally, you get legitimate games but out of how many bullshit ones? Honestly, how many times do you have to ready up before you find a match with a decent equal gear score across the board AND players that are communicating in any measurable way? You said yourself Gav you play with your brother, which makes me think your Dominion experience is very very non-typical. You are running in a little bubble that distorts your view of your surroundings.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
@EntropicByDesign @Baconlord @Basic Stupidity @Gesture Required Ahead

Let me offer a little perspective...

SF ate up a chunk of my life. It was the first and only game I was ever really addicted to. I used to run one hundred dollar local sets often. I have played with some very well known players. I actually think, when it comes to fighting games, in a purely SF frame of mind. When V came out, I packed up my X1 - brought it to my brothers - and borrowed his Ps4. In the week I had it, I played a dedicated 3 days - and had a win percentage in the high 90's. I ended up getting matched up with both known and unknown high level players. I had learned the style I had adopted from a player who had been able to beat me in SF4 - and it was aggressive turtling. I played Cammy, but I would approach just to turtle. Then, once I got them conditioned to this - I would mix in some pokes and throws. Once I had them conditioned to this I would use her priority attacks and would combo when the opportunities would arise. SFV - everything about it - felt easy. Every now and then, I would run into someone that was better than me - or simply knew how to recognize what I was doing and deal with it, but those matches were few and far between. It was an ego stroke, but nothing felt difficult - so when I gave back the Ps4 - I never felt the itch again. I am sure the game and the players have evolved, but I still think it would just serve mostly as an ego stroke. I'm not in the mindset to get better, so there is nothing more for me there. SF just feels natural, but there is no higher level thought going on when I play. Its like riding a bike now.

4H is new and exciting and Dominion reminds me of what it felt like to play football with its fast exchanges and teamwork. It also doesn't feel natural like SF does, but I like that it feels like I'm getting better - but still have more to learn. Now, I don't think I'll ever put the work into 4H that I put in to SF - but I think thats a good thing. In 4H, its harder to turtle for me than in SF. Maybe its just that I'm much more practiced in SF than in 4H.

Trying not to think just in terms of SF has allowed me to enjoy Dominion and see its potential. I don't want it to die like SFxTK's Scramble Battle Mode did - but I think it won't because its much better than that. I just hope others can see the potential as well.

Last edited:

GAV

How you broke down defense between SF and FH terrifies me... Thinking defense is harder in 4h than it is in SF is.. I. Man..............

That statement by itself goes a long way to making me think you have very a very fundamental misunderstanding of either game at a core level. Maybe you were just being flippant and Im taking it way out of context, christ I hope so.

Anyway,

Dominion will never be a popular tournament/serious competition mode.,. Why would it? it has nothing to do with the number of people playing that mode. Dominion takes what is interesting and unique about FH and strips a huge chunk of that away and leaves you with a very awkward point capture mode that something like a million other games all do super well. Overwatch anyone?

Dominion COULD be interesting, sure, but playing pick-up Dominion of a clusterfuck right now in every way. The game actively works AGAINST team work due to the way the systems work together (or dont, depending on how you look at it). GOOD, team focused, competitive games/modes SHOULD be designed to make coordination functionally easy. To get a GOOD game of Dominion I shouldn't need 8 people in two separate voice chats with a massive amount of very specific practice to make team work something with nuance and skill and not just HEY GRAB AND THEN EVERYONE USE TOP HEAVY. That's def a tactics, but its not something a meta and tournament community will build up around. A good competitive game will have teamwork built into its design, not have that design actively work to defeat teamwork.

For instance, you mention changing dance partners like its some magic, long-learned tactic that you have come to over the course a hundreds of hours of grinding competitive play... why? Because most people dont do it. So, the 'tech' we are discussing here is LITERALLY 'Change targets'. Something as simple as changing your target is advanced Dom tech that other people dont know/do. The issue here isnt just inexperience. The issue is changing targets is actively difficult to do. It really is. While in a group fight, where everything has hit stun, you have cycle targets to who you want and then GET to them, through bodies, through other players and attacks, etc. Unless they are right next to you, you probably have to unlock to get there any kind of fast, so you can sprint or maneuver with any precision. Then relock and do whatever. During this entire time, anyone on your team or the enemy team can fuck it all up. Yes, some characters have ways to close more effectively, but not everyone can. This is one example among a million.

I have NO problem with Dominion being balanced and made better, etc, but I DONT want to see Dominion-centric crap fucking up dueling modes, just like Im sure you all dont want dueling modes to fuck up Dom. I have no issue with Dom sitting around and being Dominion.. But I do think imagining it as a skillfull and competitive environment that gives you an understanding of the core game fundamentals is.. just wrong. I certainly havent run a million Dominion matches, but Ive run enough to know its a damn mess. Im sure, occasionally, you get legitimate games but out of how many bullshit ones? Honestly, how many times do you have to ready up before you find a match with a decent equal gear score across the board AND players that are communicating in any measurable way? You said yourself Gav you play with your brother, which makes me think your Dominion experience is very very non-typical. You are running in a little bubble that distorts your view of your surroundings.
My brother and I play together when we can, but I solo alot more. Our schedules just don't allow for that many team ups.

I don't want dueling messed up for Dominion either. I think that would also be a major mistake. I just don't want them going all in to balance dueling without considering what it would do to Dominion.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

SF ate up a chunk of my life. It was the first and only game I was ever really addicted to. I used to run one hundred dollar local sets often. I have played with some very well known players. I actually think, when it comes to fighting games, in a purely SF frame of mind. When V came out, I packed up my X1 - brought it to my brothers - and borrowed his Ps4. In the week I had it, I played a dedicated 3 days - and had a win percentage in the high 90's. I ended up getting matched up with both known and unknown high level players. I had learned the style I had adopted from a player who had been able to beat me in SF4 - and it was aggressive turtling. I played Cammy, but I would approach just to turtle. Then, once I got them conditioned to this - I would mix in some pokes and throws. Once I had them conditioned to this I would use her priority attacks and would combo when the opportunities would arise. SFV - everything about it - felt easy. Every now and then, I would run into someone that was better than me - or simply knew how to recognize what I was doing and deal with it, but those matches were few and far between. It was an ego stroke, but nothing felt difficult - so when I gave back the Ps4 - I never felt the itch again. I am sure the game and the players have evolved, but I still think it would just serve mostly as an ego stroke. I'm not in the mindset to get better, so there is nothing more for me there. SF just feels natural, but there is no higher level thought going on when I play. Its like riding a bike now.

4H is new and exciting and Dominion reminds me of what it felt like to play football with its fast exchanges and teamwork. It also doesn't feel natural like SF does, but I like that it feels like I'm getting better - but still have more to learn. Now, I don't think I'll ever put the work into 4H that I put in to SF - but I think thats a good thing. In 4H, its harder to turtle for me than in SF. Maybe its just that I'm much more practiced in SF than in 4H.

Trying not to think just in terms of SF has allowed me to enjoy Dominion and see its potential. I don't want it to die like SFxTK's Scramble Battle Mode did - but I think it won't because its much better than that. I just hope others can see the potential as well.
It seems to me you've never played team-based games before. Not at a moderately high level anyway. Have you played any shooters? CoD, Gears, Halo, Overwatch? I might be assuming too much but it seems to me that the elements you find fun in Dominion are new to you, whereas to the rest of us we've experienced it over and over in other games. For Honor simply takes that and applies it in a Fighting Game setting, which has the potential to be fun. But as it is right now, the clusterfuck nature and the lack of high-level representation due to shitty matchmaking/lack of ranked. It doesn't show the true potential of the things that can happen. Meaning we can't see if it's a viable competitive mode or a shitty scrubfest.
Well to be fair, the 1v1 meta right now might also evolve into a shitty scrubfest. But at least we see how and why.

GAV

It seems to me you've never played team-based games before. Not at a moderately high level anyway. Have you played any shooters? CoD, Gears, Halo, Overwatch? I might be assuming too much but it seems to me that the elements you find fun in Dominion are new to you, whereas to the rest of us we've experienced it over and over in other games. For Honor simply takes that and applies it in a Fighting Game setting, which has the potential to be fun. But as it is right now, the clusterfuck nature and the lack of high-level representation due to shitty matchmaking/lack of ranked. It doesn't show the true potential of the things that can happen. Meaning we can't see if it's a viable competitive mode or a shitty scrubfest.
Well to be fair, the 1v1 meta right now might also evolve into a shitty scrubfest. But at least we see how and why.
I have never been much at shooters. I have always been a sports game and fighting game guy. I have always been all about team based fighters. The Def Jam games, Wu Tang Shaolin Style, and SFxTK Scramble Battle were my favorites for exceedingly long stretches.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.

Pokes and throws dont.. I. wtf is a priority attack? No mention of oki.. You.. walked up and.. blocked? In a purely offensive game where being +2 FOREVER is not only possible, but entire gameplans revolve around it, you walked into someone else's range and let them hit you and that won.. Ok,.. NO. NO ENTRO NO. No SF arguing. I still maintain - no offense - that you have no idea what you're talking about, much less actually doing, in that game. Your entire narrative just isnt framed right.

Any way.

Its harder to turtle in FH? The literal problem with the meta is how easy and strong turtling is. I dont understand fast exchanges and teamwork in Dominion, outside of when you play with your brother. The entire rest of the time is just gibberish and everyone running around spamming top heavy - this isnt just my experience, this is almost everyone posting here's experience + every stream I have watched that has a streamer jumping into Dominion, its the same. Just raging mongoloidian insanity.

Like I said, if one game in a hundred comes together with team work and strategy, that doesnt make it a good team work and strategy mode.

How about this, Why dont you take someone here who disagrees with you, IN to Dominion with you. Jump in voice chat and show us this amazing mode that we are all missing somehow. I'm on PC and will gladly run with you if you're on PC as well. Thats the best way to make your points, show us what you're doing thats generating this experience that is SO COMPLETELY counter to the experience most of us are having. I for one, would love to have a new mode to enjoy. Dominion levels faster and more easily than 2vs so, It would be a nice mode not to hate.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Last edited:

GAV

Pokes and throws dont.. I. wtf is a priority attack? No mention of oki.. You.. walked up and.. blocked? In a purely offensive game where being +2 FOREVER is not only possible, but entire gameplans revolve around it, you walked into someone else's range and let them hit you and that won.. Ok,.. NO. NO ENTRO NO. No SF arguing. I still maintain - no offense - that you have no idea what you're talking about, much less actually doing, in that game. Your entire narrative just isnt framed right.

Any way.

Its harder to turtle in FH? The literal problem with the meta is how easy and strong turtling is. I dont understand fast exchanges and teamwork in Dominion, outside of when you play with your brother. The entire rest of the time is just gibberish and everyone running around spamming top heavy - this isnt just my experience, this is almost everyone posting here's experience + every stream I have watched that has a streamer jumping into Dominion, its the same. Just raging mongoloidian insanity.

Like I said, if one game in a hundred comes together with team work and strategy, that doesnt make it a good team work and strategy mode.

How about this, Why dont you take someone here who disagrees with you, IN to Dominion with you. Jump in voice chat and show us this amazing mode that we are all missing somehow. I'm on PC and will gladly run with you if you're on PC as well. Thats the best way to make your points, show us what you're doing thats generating this experience that is SO COMPLETELY counter to the experience most of us are having. I for one, would love to have a new mode to enjoy. Dominion levels faster and more easily than 2vs so, It would be a nice mode not to hate.
Well, it worked. I dunno what else to tell you. I used to play against Damdai alot so I had alot of practice getting around zoning and against Super NYC alot so I had practiced alot on how to defend throw mixups when approaching - and these skills transferred to V. I wasn't all that big on 4, but I played a ton of 2 and 3. Me not being big on 4 was almost as unpopular an opinion as me being big on Dominion in 4H.

I'm on X1.

If you run Dominion with an organized group of friends, you will have a good time. Just remember that battle awareness and team tactics trump one on one tactics for most of the game, but good one on one will always win close matches.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Well, it worked. I dunno what else to tell you. I used to play against Damdai alot so I had alot of practice getting around zoning and against Super NYC alot so I had practiced alot on how to defend throw mixups when approaching - and these skills transferred to V. I wasn't all that big on 4, but I played a ton of 2 and 3. Me not being big on 4 was almost as unpopular an opinion as me being big on Dominion in 4H.

I'm on X1.

If you run Dominion with an organized group of friends, you will have a good time. Just remember that battle awareness and team tactics trump one on one tactics for most of the game, but good one on one will always win close matches.
as someone that plays a ton of dominion with a full team comp I agree that it's fun as hell but it still has no place in competitive

Reactions: GAV

GAV

as someone that plays a ton of dominion with a full team comp I agree that it's fun as hell but it still has no place in competitive
I think it will definitely get the biggest audience if a suitable camera for viewing becomes available.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Faster everything will mean his Top Light will be even faster? That's actually really good. And getting more guaranteed attacks after certain situations will also help him.

I'm wondering what they'll do to Kensei. Only thing I could expect Ubi to do is make his attacks faster.
Perhaps it's less of a Kensei thing and more of a Defensive Meta is too strong thing? I mean Kensei only seems to be able to play his game safely when the opponent is out of stamina, but he has very little means to exhaust his opponent.

Reactions: GAV
Faster everything will mean his Top Light will be even faster? That's actually really good. And getting more guaranteed attacks after certain situations will also help him.

I'm wondering what they'll do to Kensei. Only thing I could expect Ubi to do is make his attacks faster.
No his buffs where pretty much useless, they just made him an even harder turtle all his moves are still reactable. I really dont understand most of these changes. Are they trying to make this worse?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Honestly this is a lot better then I expected
I feel like Ubisoft was actually listening to the complaints the whole time, they just wanted to make changes all at once, rather than make a change every week.

This way, players had time to try find a way to beat the tactics from the top 5 characters.

I kind of feel bad for Conqueror players now though, the only change he really needed (imo) was for his shield bash to be punishable on whiff.

GAV

The Lawbringer is already great in grouped fights. Hopefully, the new changes gives them a chance in one on ones now too.

GAV

The Lawbringer is already great in grouped fights. Hopefully, the new changes gives them a chance in one on ones now too.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Wtf is this shit do they not understand anything? All they did was kill the only offense left in the game, everything else is irrelevant.
Well the only characters they changed were those of the top 5, except for Warden who barely got touched.

I wouldn't say offense for everyone was killed, but offense for most of the top 5 most likely won't be free/safe anymore.