• Anthrax

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Slayer

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
This year will be number 10 for me.
This year will be number zero for me! Fuuuuuuuuuuckkkk! Oh well, at least I can drive there in a day now, used to live in Los Angeles. That wasn't close to Maryland at all. Or, you know, as I like to refer to it "That place that has a really awesome metal festival that I'd actually care to attend outside of all the shows where the promoters force those crappy ass deathcore bands into, overcharge me and piss me the fuck off!"

cosmic eclipse

Khaotic clan
my favorite of the big four is metallica. despite what they are releasing now....the legacy of the first five albums is hands down untouchable. the solos kirk hammet plays are forever etched in my brain singing to me evry single note 25 years later. every vocal and song still singing to me after all this time, and theyve made me the guitarist i am today. nothing is cooler than 1988 james hetfield all down stroke wasted playing stadiums. hell ive made money off them teaching kids their songs. ill even go as far as saying the black album is included in the amazing legacy. "battery" is amazing...metallica is my favorite metal band of all time

Bobzilla

Noob
The living at his mom's place is supposedly true too! I don't doubt it man, Will's a big loser...oh shit I better not say that...HE GUN KILL ME! Oh well, it'll be FUCKING BROOTAL!
Dude, he has connections. He can find where out where you live. And he's got his legions of NYDM brothers and sisters. And look at him, he only wears a little vest to keep him warm, even in the winter. And he's got an ax!!!

You may want to leave town for a little while.

Error

DF2+R2
Trivum - Shogun said:
a well planned and deadly attack on metal - 5%

Trivium’s success is one of metal’s great unfathomable mysteries. The band wears its influences on its sleeve, calls it homage or paying tribute and goes about making some of the most consistently weak metal that I’ve heard. Unfortunately, lots of people love the band and the end of September will see the band release its fourth album, Shogun.

Let’s set aside the sheer injustice of that for now and focus on this new album. Opening with a slow burning melodic guitar riff that actually made me sit up and pay attention, opening song Kirisute Gomen actually shows some promise for all of thirty seconds before the band decide that being creative and original is simply not for them and dive headlong into cliché. Kirisute Gomen basically sets the tone for the album with its carefully constructed patchwork of every currently popular metal cliché. There’s the pedestrian thrash riff where Heafy manages to sound like Hetfield circa Master of Puppets (even more so on Insurrection), a metal-core part with Heafy doing the whole hoarse barking, a clean and incredibly dumb chorus and a Machine Head like heavy part. The band may as well have recorded the same damn song 10 times because there’s nothing else on offer in Shogun.

The whole album just has a calculated feel to it. Like the band knows exactly what’s popular and go about doing that in a manner that is devoid of all imagination. Every riff on this album sounds vaguely familiar and every song has a similar format. There’s the thrash bit, there’s the Gothenburg twin guitar wanking that seems inspired by mid-period In Flames, there’s some very ordinary metal-core and maybe thanks to their part on the Black crusade tour, whole sections of songs that sound like Machine Head’s The Blackening. Then there are the embarrassing power metal bits although most of it comes across like Europe circa Prisoners of Paradise (listen to the chorus on Into the Mouth of Hell We March). In fact most of the choruses on this album could have come off Europe and even Bon Jovi albums from the 80s. It’s just as dumb and cheesy. I really don’t see why Heafy has to growl over this music because it’s not really that heavy and more often than not, Heafy just comes across as someone with a bad throat who should probably take some cough syrup and go to bed.

This review’s getting too long for its own good but I can’t stop just yet. This is the kind of music that boils my blood and just really annoys me. Here’s a band that can obviously play, yet are content to dish out the most dumbed down, watered down metal that they can think of. This is metal made by morons for morons and I can only hope that the band’s audience will grow up and realize they’re being suckered. May not happen any time soon but there’s always hope.

Originally written for http://www.kvltsite.com
for lul'z sake

cosmic eclipse

Khaotic clan
*Bold statement warning*

Metal band tier list:
Kabal tier: trivium, pantera, lamb of god, slayer
High tier: black sabbath, slipknot, megadeth, metallica
Mid tier: all that remains, bfmv
Kano tier: disturbed, kano

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
trivium????LOL

GNG Iniquity

Dude, he has connections. He can find where out where you live. And he's got his legions of NYDM brothers and sisters. And look at him, he only wears a little vest to keep him warm, even in the winter. And he's got an ax!!!

You may want to leave town for a little while.
SHIT! I'm gonna get HACKED UP FOR BARBEQUE! He'll probably make me listen to a few hours worth of B grade horror movie sound clips first. It'll be 75% movie clips and 15% of the actual killing; just like his albums!

Bobzilla

Noob
SHIT! I'm gonna get HACKED UP FOR BARBEQUE! He'll probably make me listen to a few hours worth of B grade horror movie sound clips first. It'll be 75% movie clips and 15% of the actual killing; just like his albums!
The movie clips are the best part. What's the other 10% going to be though?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
That's so dumb. I seriously doubt this would happen in Maryland though. By the way, was it this guy?
No, it was at a Cattle Decapitation show in Pittsburgh

First of all, even if you want it to be so, it's not an objective statement to say one band is better than another. The fact that you would even hint at the notion that your opinion is a fact is really amusing.
The complexity of music does not give much to opinion. I could easily name at least 20 bands off the top of my head with far more complex guitar work than a band like Trivium. You might as well say that Justin Wong being a better MK player than CDjr is just a matter of opinion. Opinions have a limit, people should know this.

What makes me laugh is when people say they're bad because they're mainstream sellouts. The reason they're popular and mainstream is because they make good fucking music lol.
This has to be the worst (and unfortunately most common) argument I always hear. By that logic, Justin Bieber is a far more talented musician than any metal band you can think of. Popularity is primarily based on marketing. I can give hundreds more examples on it.

Also, Juggernaut you assume that I dislike things BECAUSE they are mainstream. That's not true at all. I mean, I still dig groups/acts like Nine Inch Nails, Skrillex, deadmau5, The Beatles (hence my name), Say Anything, and Nas for a few examples.

GNG Iniquity

The movie clips are the best part. What's the other 10% going to be though?
The drum machine, obviously! Well, okay...5% drum machine and the other 5% will be pictures posing in front of a NYDM banner with his various weaponry.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The complexity of music does not give much to opinion. I could easily name at least 20 bands off the top of my head with far more complex guitar work than a band like Trivium. You might as well say that Justin Wong being a better MK player than CDjr is just a matter of opinion. Opinions have a limit, people should know this.
Not comparable. You can prove CDjr is a better MK player than Justin. Either by tournament results or by them playing each other. As far as your tastes in music, it's just that, your taste. It's your opinion, nothing else. Them having more complex guitar work doesn't make them a better band. If the only point you're advocating is that there's better guitar players out there than Trivium, then okay. That's still your opinion, it's just backed by evidence.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Not comparable. You can prove CDjr is a better MK player than Justin. Either by tournament results or by them playing each other. As far as your tastes in music, it's just that, your taste. It's your opinion, nothing else. Them having more complex guitar work doesn't make them a better band. If the only point you're advocating is that there's better guitar players out there than Trivium, then okay. That's still your opinion, it's just backed by evidence.
My point was that they have more complex guitar work. Liking them is what the opinion is.

But I will still hate anyone who listens to Insane Clown Posse. also i edited that post for another bit of info.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My point was that they have more complex guitar work. Liking them is what the opinion is.

But I will still hate anyone who listens to Insane Clown Posse. also i edited that post for another bit of info.
ICP is different. Everyone who I've come in contact with that is an ICP fan has had similar personality traits. And I hate all of those traits. That said, one of my good friends is an ICP fan. I don't give a fuck what kind of music you happen to enjoy.

Spletty

Grandmaster
No, it was at a Cattle Decapitation show in Pittsburgh

This has to be the worst (and unfortunately most common) argument I always hear. By that logic, Justin Bieber is a far more talented musician than any metal band you can think of. Popularity is primarily based on marketing. I can give hundreds more examples on it.

Also, Juggernaut you assume that I dislike things BECAUSE they are mainstream. That's not true at all. I mean, I still dig groups/acts like Nine Inch Nails, Skrillex, deadmau5, The Beatles (hence my name), Say Anything, and Nas for a few examples.
I'm not saying every band or artist is mainstream because they make good music, but I am saying is trivium is. I don't agree with a lot they've done such as making countless tribute songs, firing drummers, and having matt heafy be their spokesperson (the guys pretty much a complete douche), but I dig they're stuff. Heafy was like 16 when ember to inferno came out, pretty fucking impressive. I mean he's only in his early 20s right now and he's put out 5 albums that sold amazing (even though shogun was the worst thing to happen to metal). Heafy is an unreal guitarist for how old he is, and he looks like liu kang, sounds like a good band to me :p

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I listen to all different kinds of metal, ranging from really old thrash to newer stuff.

I chose Megadeth, although Megadeth>Metallica>Slayer>Anthrax for me

This being said, the bands i've been listening to recently are

Amon Amarth
Skeletonwitch (If you like thrash check this shit pronto)
Death (Well of course)
Opeth
Veil of Maya

I'm waiting to get flamed for listening to VoM but i don't give a fuck, Marc is an amazing guitar player.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
For the record, Muhammed Suicmez (of Necrophagist) wrote the album Onset of Putrefaction when he was 14. Check this out, especially the solo starting around 3:00

Spletty, I would highly suggest looking around the underground a bit more. You might like what you find. The world of modern metal is huge outside what people typically know.

GNG Iniquity

I'm not saying every band or artist is mainstream because they make good music, but I am saying is trivium is. I don't agree with a lot they've done such as making countless tribute songs, firing drummers, and having matt heafy be their spokesperson (the guys pretty much a complete douche), but I dig they're stuff. Heafy was like 16 when ember to inferno came out, pretty fucking impressive. I mean he's only in his early 20s right now and he's put out 5 albums that sold amazing (even though shogun was the worst thing to happen to metal). Heafy is an unreal guitarist for how old he is, and he looks like liu kang, sounds like a good band to me :p

The drummer (Vitek) was 15 or 16 when this was recorded. The rest of the band was no older than 18. Sadly the drummer died in a tragic car accident and one of the other founding members was mostly debilitated.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Does noyone else listen to Killswitch Engage? That was my favorite band a few years back. I still listen to them today. (though not as much)