Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Anthrax

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Slayer

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters

Spletty

Grandmaster
For the record, Muhammed Suicmez (of Necrophagist) wrote the album Onset of Putrefaction when he was 14. Check this out, especially the solo starting around 3:00

Spletty, I would highly suggest looking around the underground a bit more. You might like what you find. The world of modern metal is huge outside what people typically know.
I'm definitely not opposed to some underground stuff, I've seen winds of plague, a world we knew, and for today (quite christian, but super heavy and good). Any bands you recommend?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm definitely not opposed to some underground stuff, I've seen winds of plague, a world we knew, and for today (quite christian, but super heavy and good). Any bands you recommend?

Pure death metal can be a bit of an acquired taste, as most people don't find pleasure without strong melody. It took a while for me to really enjoy it outside the technical aspects. So I'd start with some good melodeath or some good metalcore/deathcore bands.

Melodeath: Dark Tranquility, In Flames (their early stuff in particular), Eluveitie, Kalmah, Amon Amarth, Wintersun, Kataklysm, Universum

example:

Metalcore/deathcore: Between the Buried and Me, Veil of Maya, After the Burial, Converge, Born of Osiris, The Faceless, Gaza (note that there is a LOT of shitty breakdown-oriented -core music out there, these are just some that are good)

example:

Spletty

Grandmaster
Pure death metal can be a bit of an acquired taste, as most people don't find pleasure without strong melody. It took a while for me to really enjoy it outside the technical aspects. So I'd start with some good melodeath or some good metalcore/deathcore bands.

Melodeath: Dark Tranquility, In Flames (their early stuff in particular), Eluveitie, Amon Amarth, Wintersun, Kataklysm, Universum

example:

Metalcore/deathcore: Between the Buried and Me, Veil of Maya, After the Burial, Converge, Born of Osiris, The Faceless, Gaza

example:
I really dig amon amarth, in flames, and born of osiris. Ill definitely check the rest out

Error

DF2+R2
Show him some Death, everyone likes Death.

This is the song that got me deep into metal, a friend posted it on my FB wall. I didn't like it at first, but it made me curious.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Lol this isn't an argument. They're known as the big four.

If Pantera made a big 5 they'd be at the bottom of my list anyway
"they're known as big four" says who? ive been to concerts of all them and i def wouldnt be interested in seeing them again,metallica do but on the best show though

this is a thread with a vote so i think its ok for me to have a opinion in it without it be though as a "argument" and imo pantera is 9-1 vs the other 4

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
"they're known as big four" says who? ive been to concerts of all them and i def wouldnt be interested in seeing them again,metallica do but on the best show though

this is a thread with a vote so i think its ok for me to have a opinion in it without it be though as a "argument" and imo pantera is 9-1 vs the other 4
Lol dude no this isn't an argument, this is a well-established thing, unless you're trolling. Maybe it's just because you're not from America though. You can't suddenly change a cultural term because you like another band more. The Big 4 represents the four biggest and most inspirational thrash metal bands throughout the 1980's. In terms of popularity and influence on the scene, Testament and Exodus would probably be more qualified for a "big 5". Pantera was like, glam metal or some shit in the 80's anyway.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Lol dude no this isn't an argument, this is a well-established thing, unless you're trolling. Maybe it's just because you're not from America though. You can't suddenly change a cultural term because you like another band more. The Big 4 represents the four biggest and most inspirational thrash metal bands throughout the 1980's. In terms of popularity and influence on the scene, Testament and Exodus would probably be more qualified for a "big 5". Pantera was like, glam metal or some shit in the 80's anyway.
was not trolling,i rarely do
i thought the "big four" comment was more than a opinion than an american cultural term,my bad

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
@ 1man3letters

rev0lverhttp://testyourmight.com/members/1man3letters.5915/

The Big Four of "Thrash Metal" was indeed Slayer, 'deth, 'thrax & 'tallica.
Not "most metal band in history". That title belongs to PanterA.
Magazine polls and shit have proved that.
They where as metal offstage living as they where playing onstage.

You mightn't like em but u gotta respect em. FBD album no.1 in USA with 0% airtime........ respect.

Now like what you like and stop arguing. :)

All the best,
RAZER

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Not "most metal band in history". That title belongs to PanterA.
Magazine polls and shit have proved that.
I will argue this though. Magazine polls don't prove shit lol. They're just popularity contests.

Pantera doesn't have shit on Mayhem. Look up their history. Murder, suicide, mental insanity... I don't think anyone can top them. In terms of heaviness, that'd probably go to a band like Electric Wizard (or maybe a grind band)

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Since when? Granted, the last album I heard was Serenity in Fire. Also a bit misleading too if he listens to some Sylvain-era stuff.
Yes they're not pure melodeath of course, and some albums more than others, but they have enough elements (at least with more recent stuff) that I'd put them in with it.

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
rev0lver

Murder, suicide and mental insanity ain't Metal dude.

The mags was just 1 example. My keyboard is broke and using on-screen kb board takes forever man.

I'll finish this w u soon, trust me.

If you havn't seen all 3 PanterA Home Videos I suggest you do to see how metal they where.
2am here.

To be kontinued......

All the best,
RAZER

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
rev0lver

Murder, suicide and mental insanity ain't Metal dude.

The mags was just 1 example. My keyboard is broke and using on-screen kb board takes forever man.

I'll finish this w u soon, trust me.

If you havn't seen all 3 PanterA Home Videos I suggest you do to see how metal they where.
A bunch of drinking is metal? Nah dude, that's just what frat boys do. Murder is pretty fucking metal, IMO.