Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Anthrax

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Slayer

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
So the big four, the majority of metalheads over the age of 18 have heard of them, They are considered the best of the old school metal bands around, i dont necessarily agree that these are the best 4 bands from the 80's, if it was up to me it would include sepultura and kreator.. anyway every where I go I see Metallica are the best of the top 4 and the best in general, which piss's me off, lets look at it like this: When they started they were awesome, they were obviously the peoples fave in the mid - late 80s and produced some mind blowing metal, (Master of puppets is one everyone will know. But after the early 90's they have spent the majority of the time sucking, come on lars ulric got so angry he spent the entire length of ST. Anger beating the crap out of metal dust bins.. Death Magnetic was pretty good but Megadeth are still releasing good shit to this day which blows it outta the water!. There is no denying metallica's skill back in the day and they definately helped launch metal into the main stream, but I wanna know, who is the metalheads true best of the top 4, I choose Megadeth followed by Anthrax then metallica then slayer. So Metallica fan boys before you start threatening to burn my house down remember this is friendly banter and opinion only, cheers, gaz.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Metallica were kings up till "And justice for all" After that they lost a lot imo. Megadeath stood up.

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
Id rep TOOL if we were discussing our favorite barbershop quartets. I gave my answer to the question regarding a certain genre, but above all else, TOOL. Never said they were metal

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
no pantera? shame on you sir

anyways non of the 4 mentioned there, marilyn manson then angelspit, that is all

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
best metal band of all time SLAYER! I'm more of a punk rock guy myself which is probably why I would say slayer. They have a good fast agressive hardcore punk edge to them! I fuckin love Undisputed Attitude!

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
I saw Megadeth/Slayer in Concert about a couple of years ago, they played Rust in Peace and Seasons In the Abyss in their entirety and some extra stuff. It was really good, from what i've seen of Metallica, they are way past their prime and I hate Lars being a whiney bitch about one thing or another all the time. Anthrax,all seem like cool guys but never was a big fan of most of their songs.

Megadeth for me.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Slayer, duh. Though their new stuff sucks, but Slayer realizes this for the most part, and mostly plays their old shit live anyways. Metallica has sucked for a LONG ass time now and is delusional enough to think people enjoy their new stuff...ugh. Megadeth...well fuck Dave Mustaine; a dumbass with a big mouth is what he is these days. Anyone who openly supported Rick Santorum is a monumental dumbass in my eyes. Dave Mustaine doesn't even register as 'metal' anymore to me. Anthrax...Scott Ian is the fucking man and I love S.O.D. but besides 'Madhouse' and 'Caught in a Mosh' Anthrax has never done much for me.

But yeah man, it sucks that Sodom, Destruction, Kreator and Sepultura never really made it that big in America. Sodom and Kreator are still going strong and not making shitty ass music like Slayer and Metallica are these days. To be totally honest, I think American thrash is overrated at best for the most part though. German thrash was where it's at. Destruction, Kreator and Sodom. The German Big 3 > The American Big 4.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I voted for Metallica, and personally dislike the use of "Metallica fanboy" in this situation because the metal community has created a false stigma where "if you like Metallica, you only do so blindly because you're wrong and they're awful now," as if I'm supposed to be apologetic for liking a band. Of course it's all opinion, but even as someone who considers themself to be a Metallica fan, it doesn't mean I have to like everything they've done. St. Anger was a huge piece of shit with no redeeming quality.
Now that that's out of the way, here's the way I look at it: a lot of people think Metallica dropped off at some point, but I've heard the "breaking point" occur from "after Mustaine left" to "St Anger", which means even among the haters there are people who appreciate all of their albums up to that point. You don't have to keep liking a band when they change their sound, but you don't have to assume that they are no longer "trve" (I hate black metal fans tbh for this reason) based on YOUR personal preference. I'm of the opinion that the black album, load, reload, and death magnetic all had some massively good songwriting and structure that are still more complicated and intricate musically than a lot of other bands who pretend to be really technical.
I have a lot of respect for Slayer and Anthrax, but I can't listen to their later work because not only has their sound not changed, but the same structures and gimmicks get worse progressively. Does anyone really think Slayer ever topped Reign in Blood? Megadeth is great and I love their new work (picking up the dude from Jag Panzer was a great addition), but they've had dark periods too... I don't know anyone who is willing to sing the praises of "The World Needs A Hero". If all you care about is "who is playing the heaviest/hardest" or "who has the most hardcore lyrics", that's fine, but you're not allowing yourself the opportunity to be exposed to a rather large part of the Metal community who is still playing music.

So my gripes with that aside, the "Big Four" list is Amero-centric. The entire world has great stuff to offer from all corners, including some Metal pioneers of their own. S.A. has Sepultura, Sweeden has Dark Tranquillity and In Flames (A band who is much more deserving of the Metallica-esque criticism of 'used to be good, completely changed their sound and removed all musicianship from it'), Switzerland has Eluveitie, etc. Each genre has their own roots that have been hailed and replicated - even the big 4 rest on the shoulders of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Dio, etc - largely non-American bands. The idea of "the big 4" in general was always a marketing technique aimed at getting the top 4 selling American artists to play together and nothing more. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of all 4 bands (and own the entire discography for 3 of them), but to make a list of "most influential/best/whatever" Metal bands in general is a huge waste of time based on the diversity and size of the genre (without even going into the subjective nature of opinions).

/rant

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Oh man...Megadeth or Slayer...

Hate Metallica post 1988. Just saw Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel. They were all good but I went for Death Angel and Testament. Not a huge Anthrax fan. They're solid, just not my thing.

Megadeth had Marty Friedman. Slayer makes me want to shake babies.

This is a tough ca...Slayer.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage

Suck my ass, Dave. Fucking idiot. Rick Santorum wanted to ban metal in the US...where do you make your money Dave? Dumbass. Dave needs to just start drinking again and throw potted plants at Metallica, he's too much of an idiot sober.

Anyways, I've lost every ounce of respect for Dave and 'Peace Sells' will never be listened to again by me. It's a good album, but Dave is an IDIOT.

Seriously, guys. Have you listened to Dave speak? This guy is flat out delusional and crazy. And before you guys get on me over the "Well Dave's a Christian! That's his views!" I have no problem with his religious views, but the guy is an idiot. Tom Araya is a Catholic; here's proof because somebody will dispute it. The difference between Tom and Dave is that Tom isn't a moron.

It seems Megadeth or Slayer would take the vote. All the bands in recent years have gotten significantly weaker, imo. I chose Megadeth, but it is primarily for the studio albums of "Killing is My Business" and "Peace Sells". Not much else to look at here. Of course, my metal days are over. I listen to ELO and The Doors now. Lmao.

Spletty

Grandmaster
*Bold statement warning*

Metal band tier list:
Kabal tier: trivium, pantera, lamb of god, slayer
High tier: black sabbath, slipknot, megadeth, metallica
Mid tier: all that remains, bfmv
Kano tier: disturbed, kano

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ

Suck my ass, Dave. Fucking idiot. Rick Santorum wanted to ban metal in the US...where do you make your money Dave? Dumbass. Dave needs to just start drinking again and throw potted plants at Metallica, he's too much of an idiot sober.

Anyways, I've lost every ounce of respect for Dave and 'Peace Sells' will never be listened to again by me. It's a good album, but Dave is an IDIOT.
You know, I agree to an extent but I have a hard time equating his personal life at present with his music of the past. Rust In Peace hasn't left the disc rotation in my car for over a year, regardless of how dickish Mustaine's become.

Mustaine and Hetfield are now both soccermoms. Start drinking again. Raise Cliff Burton from the dead or clone Cliff by extracting DNA from Kirk's mustache and we could have another Metallica on our hands.

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
I voted for Metallica, and personally dislike the use of "Metallica fanboy" in this situation because the metal community has created a false stigma where "if you like Metallica, you only do so blindly because you're wrong and they're awful now," as if I'm supposed to be apologetic for liking a band. Of course it's all opinion, but even as someone who considers themself to be a Metallica fan, it doesn't mean I have to like everything they've done. St. Anger was a huge piece of shit with no redeeming quality.
Now that that's out of the way, here's the way I look at it: a lot of people think Metallica dropped off at some point, but I've heard the "breaking point" occur from "after Mustaine left" to "St Anger", which means even among the haters there are people who appreciate all of their albums up to that point. You don't have to keep liking a band when they change their sound, but you don't have to assume that they are no longer "trve" (I hate black metal fans tbh for this reason) based on YOUR personal preference. I'm of the opinion that the black album, load, reload, and death magnetic all had some massively good songwriting and structure that are still more complicated and intricate musically than a lot of other bands who pretend to be really technical.
I have a lot of respect for Slayer and Anthrax, but I can't listen to their later work because not only has their sound not changed, but the same structures and gimmicks get worse progressively. Does anyone really think Slayer ever topped Reign in Blood? Megadeth is great and I love their new work (picking up the dude from Jag Panzer was a great addition), but they've had dark periods too... I don't know anyone who is willing to sing the praises of "The World Needs A Hero". If all you care about is "who is playing the heaviest/hardest" or "who has the most hardcore lyrics", that's fine, but you're not allowing yourself the opportunity to be exposed to a rather large part of the Metal community who is still playing music.

So my gripes with that aside, the "Big Four" list is Amero-centric. The entire world has great stuff to offer from all corners, including some Metal pioneers of their own. S.A. has Sepultura, Sweeden has Dark Tranquillity and In Flames (A band who is much more deserving of the Metallica-esque criticism of 'used to be good, completely changed their sound and removed all musicianship from it'), Switzerland has Eluveitie, etc. Each genre has their own roots that have been hailed and replicated - even the big 4 rest on the shoulders of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Dio, etc - largely non-American bands. The idea of "the big 4" in general was always a marketing technique aimed at getting the top 4 selling American artists to play together and nothing more. Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of all 4 bands (and own the entire discography for 3 of them), but to make a list of "most influential/best/whatever" Metal bands in general is a huge waste of time based on the diversity and size of the genre (without even going into the subjective nature of opinions).

/rant
I aint calling you all fan boys, however just like the majority of other big metal bands they have that small crowd of offensive fan boys, and I dont use that to say that everyone who likes metallica are fan boys, I love metallica myself just only the earlier stuff, And alot of people here are saying that pantera etc etc should be in the the top 4, i agree, but i'm using the top 4 as everyone knows it, my top four metal bands of all time would look nothing like the original top 4, mine would be KoRn - Fear factory - Strapping young lad and napalm death, and believe me i know what haters are cause i love KoRn, and they have even more haters than metallica lolz