Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Anthrax

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Slayer

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters

Hemlock

Noob
So I have a strong personal connection to Anthrax, but I think the "best" would be between Slayer or Megadeth....... I don't own either of their albums so i'll have to reserve judgement till I can listen. Someone tell me which Slayer album to start with. I'm a big fan or Norma Jean and Fear Before if that helps as a reference... (I know that's more hardcore than metal)

Error

DF2+R2
So I have a strong personal connection to Anthrax, but I think the "best" would be between Slayer or Megadeth....... I don't own either of their albums so i'll have to reserve judgement till I can listen. Someone tell me which Slayer album to start with. I'm a big fan or Norma Jean and Fear Before if that helps as a reference... (I know that's more hardcore than metal)
Musically Megadeth is better, mostly referring to their earlier albums, but Slayer has a certain charisma and aggression, and were pretty influential to the death metal scene.

Two of my favorite Megadeth tracks

Me being a death metal fan, these are two of my favorite Slayer tracks.

and a bonus track to swing the vote

Error

DF2+R2
Error thanks! going to listen to all of these now.

what makes "black metal" black and "death metal" death - in your opinon?
One thing you want to avoid within metal is sub-genres LOL. There's so many different elements that can influence a band's genre that they some times can become ridiculous. ie: Depressive Suicidal Black Metal/Progressive Death Metal/Fusion.

As far as what makes something black metal, the most common elements are usually a shrieked style of vocals, tremolo picking on the guitars, a certain guitar tone(don't know how to describe it) and bad production.

Death metal is mostly known for the heavier guitar tone, blast beats on drums, fast tempos, and growled/grunted/pig squealed vocals. You really have to listen to enough of each genre to be able to identify them because there's so many variables (blackened death metal:rolleyes: )

Anyways, an example of each. First one is black metal, the second one is death metal.

Error thanks! going to listen to all of these now.

what makes "black metal" black and "death metal" death - in your opinon?
Black metal generally has more fast picking, extremely raw production, frequently lacks solos, and raspy vocals.
Death metal has many different riffs, chunkier production, many solos, and wildly differing styles of growls and grunts.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
uhhh get undisputed attitude lol covers of old hardcore/punk songs. yeah i really love that album. I always like to think of slayer as pure unadulterated american hardcore punk rock in the same vein as suicidal tendencies and MOD other than metal, but i know the consensus is that they are a metal band, and this type of thrash stuff is considered metal by the majority. Now when i think metal i think testament or death or cannibal corpse or some shit like that. to me at least slayer will always be hardcore punk rock.

OBS|KH Rattlehead

Accessibility consultant for Mortal Kombat 1.
The problem with this statement is that Metallica are still much better than the other three.
Megadeth is alright(Which is a step up from my opinion of them a year ago.) Dave's voice and their really annoying solos really drag them down, IMO.
Anthrax is fucking boring. That's it.
Slayer try too hard to be heavy and have poor musicianship. They also can't seem to decide if they wanna play Thrash metal or Death metal.

If you want shit similar to Slayer but actually, ya know, good, hit up Vader for the more Death edge or Evile for the Thrash.
Metallica bettre? Not really. If you're a musician you would be able to tell their limits. Not to mention their performances live. Lars's is timing is horrible. Jame's guitar strumming is choppy. people just consider them good based on their name and the fact that they made 4 good albums.
I do agree with Slayyr having poor musicianship, but that's mostly Carry King and Jeff Handman. Dave Lombardo is actually an outstanding drummer.

But anyway, if anybody enjoys thrash check out this new band from Colorado. They're call Havok.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I don't particularly believe in any of the bands being "Better". I listen to more metallica than the rest, though. Personal preference.

Out of the 4, I'd say Metallica and Megadeth are better. I think they're good but I'm not gonna defend them if someone says they aren't. I'm more of a mesuggah(sp?) Guy myself. I don't think or know if they were pioneers necessarily, but I like them. Also testament. Lol

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Gojira.

No but srs, I'd definitely go with Slayer, with Anthrax as a fairly close second. I could never get into Megadeth, mostly because of Dave's voice, although the Tornado of Souls solo makes me nut.

Yes, I'm bumping this thread three years later.

Error

DF2+R2
Gojira.

No but srs, I'd definitely go with Slayer, with Anthrax as a fairly close second. I could never get into Megadeth, mostly because of Dave's voice, although the Tornado of Souls solo makes me nut.

Yes, I'm bumping this thread three years later.
Appropriate, since you're going around necroing threads.