What's new

General/Other - Commando Fixes Commando needs (and buffs he could use)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
As you may or may not know I've dedicated quite some time exploring Commando Kano's different whiff issues. bugs and general strategies. I am by no means a top player but consider me a lab rat who's spent way too much time these few months with a cold and MKX at my hands.

In order to be a complete character, ie a FUNCTIONING character, Commando Kano needs these fixes desperately IMO. I'm not going to say he's unviable, I'm not going to downplay or upplay him. I'm going to state what I consider bugs and/or very poor design that severely hinders him. This is a list of Commando specific things. Cybernetic has no glaring issues and Cutthroat... Well let's hope NRS doesn't "fix" him anymore.

Choke

What's wrong with it?

Choke is a great move. In fact it's the basis of my style of Commando. It's got great meter build (b13 choke is ~1/4 of a bar, safe on block, has no holes and leads into a mixup of sorts where you can parry, EX grab, etc) and works as an anti-air. HOWEVER it does have some severe issues.

It is listed as a high but it won't hit 100% on crouch blockers:
I made a salty video on the issue here:

Basically it can be crouch blocked (not neutral crouched. Well it can be as well but that is expected). What this means is that it can't be thrown out in neutral willy nilly. But wait why would you do that? Well choke jails from d1, making d1 tick throws into a semi-mixup because you can try to jump d1 command grab but you can't jump d1 choke. This doesn't work on all characters however since they can pretty much just low block. Furthermore throwing out EX choke is decent as an armored reversal but again this can be crouch blocked.

It whiffs after F33 (and b3):
I am not the biggest fan of the F33 string. But the fact is that it's the only tick string we have to work with so it could be used a lot more if choke would connect on hit. Let me explain. F33 is a mid-low string. If your opponent decides to take the second hit (the low) they can FULL COMBO PUNISH your tick throw. They can also jump after the second hit and full combo punish (Also they can backdash, but more on that in a bit). Doing F33 choke would make them have to guess. If they eat the second hit or try to jump they'll get choked. If they don't they'll get thrown. This could be especially deadly in the corner where backdash is less of an option. Sure they escape both choke and grab but if your opponents starts backdashing in the corner you can just do F33 and full combo punish on a read. The same whiff issue occurs with a b3 from afar, but this is no issue as b31 jails.

It randomly whiffs after f4:
Ok there's two things going on here. First of all Choke whiffs A LOT of times after a F4. One could argue that this is design due to F4 being a lunging attack. With that I can agree, to a certain extent. The problem is F4 is Commando's longest reaching normal, meaning that in some match up's you're going to use it a lot to get in. Mixing it up with Choke is a good way to catch your opponent of guard, since they're both safe. However Choke will whiff unless you did your F4 pretty close to the opponent. You're safe even on whiff but you lose damage and you're now minus. This is especially gruesome considering F4 is great for catching jumps but then Choke whiffs even more.

This issue if perhaps a luxury thing but it has a huge effect on Commando's pressure game. He's already the variation with the worst reach and least damage so losing out on what should be hitting (for 11% damage, mind you, this is not huge damage, doesn't grant a combo, etc) is annoying. This is further complicated by the fact that this bug exists:

Basically it doesn't jail properly. It literally jails 50% of the time vs. Cassie (plus others) which she can OS out of. If you just drop block for a split second, mash a poke and block again you will get out of Choke. She can even EX flipkick you on a read.

Suggested fix:

Make Choke have a slightly increased downward hitbox and slightly increased forward hitbox. That would make it connect more frequently after f4 (even if it hits them out of the air) without necessarily making it connect 100% of the time, so you still have to think of your spacing. Furthermore it should make it hit crouch blocking opponents and those that have just been hit with a low. I'm hesitant to say this though because Choke already has an awesome hitbox, but IMO it needs slightly more.

Luxury buff:
Make Choke more + on hit. Being -5 (according to in game data, actually you're slightly plus b but not enough for any decent oki) after your main (or one of your main) pressure tools is really not that great. Even in the corner it's hard to get a decent oki game after it's hit. If Choke were to be slightly plus we could start some offense after landing it or go for armor break in the corner. Even EX Choke makes oki impossible as it knocks them too far away.

Knife and EX Knives

What's wrong with it?

It whiffs so much it hurts

In theory both Knife and EX Knives are great tools for pressure. Knife is pretty much safe (-7), has good plus frames on hit (+7), EX Knives are +9 on block and +19 on hit. This could be used sort of like Tempest Lao's hat where you can keep the pressure up and force armor or make them eat a grab, etc. But it doesn't work like that.

Here's an 11 minute video of how badly it whiffs versus the whole cast after doing 32 or b13:

and here's the thread I made on it if you want to read all about it: http://testyourmight.com/threads/ex-knife-frame-trap.56001/

Now you might think "wait a second MsMiharo why'd you pick those two strings??? Why not something else???". First of all b13 and 32 are Commando's best strings (even before buff to 32). They're both mid, start up in 9 frames. 32 is -1 and leads to full combo on hit, you can stagger b13 if you want to, etc. S3 has shit range and B1 can be low profiled but overall they're great strings.

Also they actually hit when they should. Jailing from 112 or S2 would be nice but they don't hit all crouch blocking opponents. Hell sometimes even the second 1 in 112 (which is a mid) whiffs on crouch blockers. Furthermore 112 has a gap (for whatever reason).

THE ONLY 100% CONSISTENT THING COMMANDO CAN DO TO JAIL INTO KNIVES MIDSCREEN AND CORNER IS S4. And that's a 15 frame high. So, no that's not going to happen. Every other string or normal will whiff in some situations vs some characters. Especially in the corner. Either the first knife whiffs or the second on both. Either way you lose a bar, you lose your pressure and if you're unlucky, you get full combo punished.

This problem is a problem for Cutthroat as well but at least he can jail from b12 and b121.

Suggested fix:

Just make the high hit crouch blockers and the mid hit mid. Also do something about the corner where it seems like the hitbox on the knife starts too far on Kano's hand to make it hit.

Luxury buff:

None. Knives are a super solid tool when they work.

Command grabs

What's wrong with it?

It whiffs on everything

I don't know if I'm asking too much but I don't like throw immunity. At all. Command grabs are relatively low damage (16-17%, 19-20% if EX'd) compared to the risk of throwing them out there (full combo punish into 30-40%). But fine I'll accept that for instance moves that put the opponent in an airborne state can be throw immune. Throw in some (ok let's be serious A LOT OF) specials that can be throw immune as well. But check out this thread: http://testyourmight.com/threads/making-ex-command-grabs-whiff.56378/ Why on earth can such a huge part of the cast just profile your EX Command grab? And even worse, why can so many just use their sweep to not only deal a chunky 7% but make you waste a bar? Like come on, look at this:

There's so many matches I've lost due to EX command grabs whiffing on normals for whatever reason. Meter is precious for Commando so wasting a bar and getting full combo'd is not fun at all.

Suggested fix

Make them have more priority and hit low profiling moves. Command grabs require good reads and we should be awarded for it, not punished. Bear in mind that Commando has shit tick throw setups so it's not like we're just facerolling our controller and command grabbing everyone all the time.

Luxury buff

None. If you want to be generous you could up the damage on EX command grab by 1-2%.

TL;DR Commando whiffs stuff. Fix please.

Btw I know people think 32 1+3 EX should scale less. And I wouldn't mind it but IMO Commando is about solid reads and not about big combo damage. Now you could look at Sun God Kotal or Wrestler Jax or Ferra/Torr and say that grapplers have big combo damage in this game but let's not go there. The 1+3 part could be -6 or so though, to discourage opponents from pressing buttons after 32.

*insert youtube-voice* Am I whining? Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments and be sure to hate me in the comments and please like and subscribe it helps out a lot.

@ando1184
@bdizzle2700
@countrypistol
@Derptile
@FlappyDaniel
@MrInsaynne
@SaltShaker
@The Hex Man
@Youphemism
@ETC AdmiralAugustus
@Phosferrax
@FireBreather
@kabelfritz

Last edited:
Echoes all of my complaints with Commando.

The only thing I think could have deserved a separate sub title was 112, but you didn't neglect it, so if this thread gets read by any of the development staff it'll get picked up on. Standing 2 has whiff issues also against crouch blockers.

Overall, you've made a very fair argument I feel, asking for fixes and not buffs (or at least labelling your buffs as 'luxury'). Great job.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Yeah i tried to keep it to reasonable FIXES over "plz make my character top tier". I think Commando is fine overall. Requires a lot of work and is far from top tier but he's fine. However it makes me sad that these issues are really holding him back as they prevent him from being able to mix up his opponent and apply pressure. And a grounded special that whiffs on hit? GTFO

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Why?

If you cancel the ball fast enough you can get a jump in punch to link, you can even run njp, and you can forward dash and still have time to link.
No one is gonna be able to do that 10/10 or even 8/10 times, you're out of your mind if you think it's fine the way it is right now. I don't understand why NRS gave us a new launcher that only be used at the end of 32 and does less damage than the Ex ball cancel, the complaints about his damage were all based off the Ex Ball cancels being too hard to do consistently, they could of just increased hit advantage by like 5 frames and everyone will happy. But noooooooooooooooo, we get a character who's basically in the same situation as he was before the patch.

He's definitely a character needs to be looked at again properly and fixed accordingly. It makes no sense how characters like Erron Black get their lesser variations buffed to be on par with their best, but we got Commando over here struggling to be viable.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
No one is gonna be able to do that 10/10 or even 8/10 times, you're out of your mind if you think it's fine the way it is right now. I don't understand why NRS gave us a new launcher that only be used at the end of 32 and does less damage than the Ex ball cancel, the complaints about his damage were all based off the Ex Ball cancels being too hard to do consistently, they could of just increased hit advantage by like 5 frames and everyone will happy. But noooooooooooooooo, we get a character who's basically in the same situation as he was before the patch.

He's definitely a character needs to be looked at again properly and fixed accordingly.
The NJP I agree with

But you definitely can get the jump in offline consistently, sure somehow @Phosferrax can get the njp consistent online lol I can't, but jump ins I can, sure you can combo into anything easy off run.
It is a moderate damage variation combo wise but he has good meterless dmg in the corner and his cmd grabs do good dmg,
Everything he has basically safe

Why is it you want more plus frame exactly, the njp? If so that's fine, I wouldn't frown if he got that buff, as he's already plus so it be a bonus, but I wouldn't have it as much as a high piority as his whiffing issues or the issues OP pointed out

Edit:
Well testing it there37% is a nice number for one bar, you prolly right, only if your talking about the Njp

Last edited:

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I watched the first video and speaking as a Scorpion player I don't see any issues here :DOGE

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano

He's definitely a character needs to be looked at again properly and fixed accordingly. It makes no sense how characters like Erron Black get their lesser variations buffed to be on par with their best, but we got Commando over here struggling to be viable.
I've seen tyrant do it consistently but I'm not sure if his execution should be considered something for mere mortals.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Throw immunity is going to be a thing in all games, as a command grab variation player you're just going to have to deal with it. I don't think they've ever changed grab immunity on moves in patches before. I'd actually like to see a list of moves that are grab immune because grabs can hit you out of a LOT. There's nothing wrong with the command grabs, throw immunity is throw immunity. Did you not play Injustice? Lol

You misunderstand about 321+3MB. The reason people want it to scale less is that there's no reason to use it. Why would you give a variation a variation-specific option that's not worth using over the universal option? That makes using the variation redundant. THAT'S why 321+3MB should scale less, so that it's actually worth using. It's not about how Commando is about reads and not damage or whatever, it's about the fact it's a worse choice than the universal option.

If they aren't going to make 321+3MB scale less then they should slightly increase the window to link NJP after ex ball cancel so bnbs are more consistent (since it's supposed to be a, you know, bnb).

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Throw immunity is going to be a thing in all games, as a command grab variation player you're just going to have to deal with it. I don't think they've ever changed grab immunity on moves in patches before. I'd actually like to see a list of moves that are grab immune because grabs can hit you out of a LOT. There's nothing wrong with the command grabs, throw immunity is throw immunity. Did you not play Injustice? Lol

You misunderstand about 321+3MB. The reason people want it to scale less is that there's no reason to use it. Why would you give a variation a variation-specific option that's not worth using over the universal option? That makes using the variation redundant. THAT'S why 321+3MB should scale less, so that it's actually worth using. It's not about how Commando is about reads and not damage or whatever, it's about the fact it's a worse choice than the universal option.

If they aren't going to make 321+3MB scale less then they should slightly increase the window to link NJP after ex ball cancel so bnbs are more consistent (since it's supposed to be a, you know, bnb).
You assume people aren't using 32 outside of punishes though.

The way a command grab should work is that it can grab an opponent that is grounded and either doing nothing, blocking, in start up or in recovery. It should not grab airborne opponents or opponents in active frames. The issue with MKX Command grabs is that they are inconsistent. Several moves cannot be grabbed during recovery frames. Armoured moves will often take the hit, but not grab the opponent negating the purpose of the armour (to grab during active frames). A character throwing a projectile at point blank range should not be throw immune to an armoured grab, but if the armour takes the projectile then they are. As for the low profiling, it's fine if it is intentional, unacceptable if it isn't.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about grabs beating out a lot of moves. Do you mean non-armoured grabs beating out moves in active frames? If so, could you give examples?

Edit: I would gladly trade being able to end juggles with command grabs for ones that work properly. Throws shouldn't catch airborne opponents, unless it's an air grab/anti air grab.

Last edited:

Youphemism

You assume people aren't using 32 outside of punishes though.
Eh? What are you talking about? :confused: I didn't say people aren't using 32 outside of punishes, I'm saying when going for a combo ex ball cancel combos do more damage and it makes going for 321+3MB combos not worth it.
The way a command grab should work is that it can grab an opponent that is grounded and either doing nothing, blocking, in start up or in recovery. It should not grab airborne opponents or opponents in active frames. The issue with MKX Command grabs is that they are inconsistent. Several moves cannot be grabbed during recovery frames. Armoured moves will often take the hit, but not grab the opponent negating the purpose of the armour (to grab during active frames). A character throwing a projectile at point blank range should not be throw immune to an armoured grab, but if the armour takes the projectile then they are. As for the low profiling, it's fine if it is intentional, unacceptable if it isn't.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about grabs beating out a lot of moves. Do you mean non-armoured grabs beating out moves in active frames? If so, could you give examples?

Edit: I would gladly trade being able to end juggles with command grabs for ones that work properly. Throws shouldn't catch airborne opponents, unless it's an air grab/anti air grab.
You say a command grab shouldn't hit people in active frames but talk about armoured command grabs whiffing during the active frames of a move as if that's wrong which is confusing me lol. I'm not saying the low profiling shouldn't be addressed though, it's not a high command grab so that should be fixed.

Just as in the command grabs or even throws beating out people doing their own moves. It's probably them being hit out of startup frames though.

Eh? What are you talking about? :confused: I didn't say people aren't using 32 outside of punishes, I'm saying when going for a combo ex ball cancel combos do more damage and it makes going for 321+3MB combos not worth it.

You say a command grab shouldn't hit people in active frames but talk about armoured command grabs whiffing during the active frames of a move as if that's wrong which is confusing me lol. I'm not saying the low profiling shouldn't be addressed though, it's not a high command grab so that should be fixed.

Just as in the command grabs or even throws beating out people doing their own moves. It's probably them being hit out of startup frames though.
I'll try to be clearer.

What I described initially is the function of a non-armoured command grab. If a person complains that they are being hit out of a non-armoured command grab, then I don't believe that complaint to be valid because they attempted to grab during an opponents active frames. An armoured command grab, at the cost of a bar of meter, should grab a grounded opponent in range EVEN IF they are in active frames (exception being armour breaking moves, quick two hitters, etc). If a person complains that a grounded, single hitting attack gets absorbed by the armour and the attacker does not get grabbed afterwards despite being in grab range, then I believe the complaint to be valid as the armour has not served it's purpose. It's this throw immunity and the start up/recovery frame immunity we want fixing, not having non-armoured grabs beating out active attacks as that would be broken.

When I said 'armoured moves' in my previous post I meant armoured grabs.

Is that clearer?

Youphemism

I'll try to be clearer.

What I described initially is the function of a non-armoured command grab. If a person complains that they are being hit out of a non-armoured command grab, then I don't believe that complaint to be valid because they attempted to grab during an opponents active frames. An armoured command grab, at the cost of a bar of meter, should grab a grounded opponent in range EVEN IF they are in active frames (exception being armour breaking moves, quick two hitters, etc). If a person complains that a grounded, single hitting attack gets absorbed by the armour and the attacker does not get grabbed afterwards despite being in grab range, then I believe the complaint to be valid as the armour has not served it's purpose. It's this throw immunity and the start up/recovery frame immunity we want fixing, not having non-armoured grabs beating out active attacks as that would be broken.

When I said 'armoured moves' in my previous post I meant armoured grabs.

Is that clearer?
Ah ok so you think meterless grabs shouldn't beat active frames but spending the bar on an armoured grab should beat them?

I guess throw immunity just covers entire moves including the active frames, otherwise they'd just be partially throw immune moves.

Ah ok so you think meterless grabs shouldn't beat active frames but spending the bar on an armoured grab should beat them?

I guess throw immunity just covers entire moves including the active frames, otherwise they'd just be partially throw immune moves.
Yes, that's what we want. I'd argue that 'partial throw immunity' is splitting hairs, but basically that what the five of us who play Commando get frustrated with; partial throw immunity in places where it shouldn't be.

Now we got that straightened out, I'm interested to know if you still disagree?