What's new

General/Other - Commando Fixes Commando needs (and buffs he could use)

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Yes, that's what we want. I'd argue that 'partial throw immunity' is splitting hairs, but basically that what the five of us who play Commando get frustrated with; partial throw immunity in places where it shouldn't be.

Now we got that straightened out, I'm interested to know if you still disagree?
If you've spent the bar then yeah I think that should cover you when you go for the grab.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Eh? What are you talking about? :confused: I didn't say people aren't using 32 outside of punishes, I'm saying when going for a combo ex ball cancel combos do more damage and it makes going for 321+3MB combos not worth it.

You say a command grab shouldn't hit people in active frames but talk about armoured command grabs whiffing during the active frames of a move as if that's wrong which is confusing me lol. I'm not saying the low profiling shouldn't be addressed though, it's not a high command grab so that should be fixed.

Just as in the command grabs or even throws beating out people doing their own moves. It's probably them being hit out of startup frames though.
You say people think there is no need to use it but I use it all the time in pressure and hit confirm into full combo. You get the side switch which can be useful over going into ball

Youphemism

You say people think there is no need to use it but I use it all the time in pressure and hit confirm into full combo. You get the side switch which can be useful over going into ball
I said there was no reason to use 321+3MB, not 32.

32 1+3 outdamages 32 ball cancel iirc. Also side switch and so much easier
Not by much though. It's no easy 35% 1 bar combo. Max damage off MB ball is pitiful too, especially considering how easy Lao, Pred, et al can score their damage off of a reversal.

However, I think that's an issue for another thread. We should probably keep the focus on his whiff issues.

Youphemism

32 1+3 outdamages 32 ball cancel iirc. Also side switch and so much easier
But why do that when you can do B13~ball cancel which does more damage? If you want to side switch then you can end with 321+3 or a throw or something. How easy it is doesn't really matter imo if the harder combo does more damage.

But this is all a matter of opinion because in the end it's like 1 or 2% of a difference. My point is that if they're going to give variations tools then those tools should be more worth using than the universal ones, not worse (even if it's slightly).

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
But why do that when you can do B13~ball cancel which does more damage? If you want to side switch then you can end with 321+3 or a throw or something. How easy it is doesn't really matter imo if the harder combo does more damage.

But this is all a matter of opinion because in the end it's like 1 or 2% of a difference. My point is that if they're going to give variations tools then those tools should be more worth using than the universal ones, not worse (even if it's slightly).
Yeah the 32 1+3 buff was shit

Reactions: SPY

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
#WhensMoreTicks #ErronBestGrappler
I don't want to make this into a buff thread but it's... Funny how most if not all other grapplers in the game are better at grappling than Kano. It's quite obvious that he's supposed to be the grappler of all grapplers (2 command grabs, parries etc)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I want commando Kano to work. I'm having so much fun on SG Kotal, I'd love to have another grappler to really explore, but I tried out Commando Kano and set him aside due to the inconsistencies. NOTHING kills a character to me faster than inconsistent tools.

I feel like everything asked for here is totally reasonable.. Stuff that should have worked in this first place.

I have a bad feeling we aren't going to see any fixes until kp2 though. I worry that WB has cracked the whip and basically said 'time will be spent making money, not maintaining game' =\

Down 2

Noob
Two more buffs I can think of that he really needs is to make his NJP have a more downward hitbox or make his ball cancel have more advantage so you don't have to get a perfect ball cancel to get the combo. Also his 3,2 needs to be 10% like his other variations. This would help with his damage problem.

Reactions: SPY

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Two more buffs I can think of that he really needs is to make his NJP have a more downward hitbox or make his ball cancel have more advantage so you don't have to get a perfect ball cancel to get the combo. Also his 3,2 needs to be 10% like his other variations. This would help with his damage problem.
While I wouldn't mind this I don't think he NEEDS it. I think commando can receive quite a few buffs without getting into the top tier discussion though.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I want commando Kano to work. I'm having so much fun on SG Kotal, I'd love to have another grappler to really explore, but I tried out Commando Kano and set him aside due to the inconsistencies. NOTHING kills a character to me faster than inconsistent tools.

I feel like everything asked for here is totally reasonable.. Stuff that should have worked in this first place.

I have a bad feeling we aren't going to see any fixes until kp2 though. I worry that WB has cracked the whip and basically said 'time will be spent making money, not maintaining game' =\
I have a bad feeling we won't be seeing any fixes in KP2 either

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
I don't think his ex ball cancels are tight. I'm really comfortable with them.

Down 2

Noob
I don't think his ex ball cancels are tight. I'm really comfortable with them.
I am too but I can get them like 7 out of 10 times compared to other characters bnbs that I can get 10 out of 10 times and his does less damage. It wouldn't hurt in my opinion.

Down 2

Noob
While I wouldn't mind this I don't think he NEEDS it. I think commando can receive quite a few buffs without getting into the top tier discussion though.
That's true and I agree. These two things are just something extra that they COULD add in and it wouldn't hurt too much.

kantboy-2

Ripper
Commando is my favorite Kano variation. If his grab inconsistencies get fixed, he should be a fun beast to use.

The only thing I think this variation is missing is the MK3 air throw for more crazy set ups.

But he really doesn't need it if his throws work properly. ;)

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
All the buffs I'd give him would be:

Mandatory
- Fix his endless list of whiffing problems: All these patches and this shit still hasn't gotten closed to being fixed.
- Make Choke plus on hit: Nothing too crazy, something like +5 would be reasonable
- Make his Ex Ball cancel NJP combos easier: I don't see why this wasn't fixed in the patch...
- Give him a Tick throw off of 32: For a character who's entire game plan is based off of Command Grabs, his only tick throw comes from one of the most ass strings in the game(F33). Meanwhile Jax, Kotal, Erron Black, and even Jason can all tick off much better advancing normals as well as have a stronger guessing game between the throw or another special/continuing the string.

Optional
- Give him a Tick throw off either B1 or F4: Most likely too good still it's a possible suggestion since Kotal sort of has the same thing(when considering B1, and Jax with F4).
- Get rid of gap in 112: Doesn't really matter since the string mainly used for punishing, but everyone wants it and it wouldn't change anything so why not. Fixing the (1)12 whiffing on crouch blockers is more important.

I've given up on Commando in the current state he's in, switching to Sun God with all of his strengths and tools was by far the best decision I ever made when considering Commando. Hopefully NRS will see the problems he has and fix them, but then again this is Kano and this is his grappler variation so I'm not expecting anything soon.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Midscreen you're too far away to do anything, in corner you can't break armor unless it's a slow armor move that can be low profiled.
Midscreen you can do much but in the corner if they want to wake up then let them. It's not the best but it's still plus frames.