What's new

Strategy - Commando Making EX Command grabs whiff

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
So we all know command grabs have whiff issues. But did you all know that ALMOST EVERY CHARACTER can make them whiff by using their sweep? Time it meaty and you won't get grabbed on wakeup. There are MANY MORE moves that are throw immune (such as D'vorahs b14) but this is just to show how severely throw immunity cripples commando.

I also tried out which d4's can make it whiff. Now this is more space and less timing dependent and far less common. HOWEVER d4's are more often thrown out in neutral where it can cause you to whiff your EX grab. And as I already said, there's a fucking forest of moves that will randomly make EX command grabs whiff.

Anyways here's the list. Now FIRST NUMBER indicates if d4 makes it whiff, the SECOND NUMBER indicates if b4/sweep makes it whiff. If the number is 0 then it won't make Power Bomb or Rib Breaker whiff. If the number is 1 it will make Rib Breaker whiff. If the number is 2 it will make both of them whiff. Rib breaker never whiffs where Power Bomb hits, it's always the other way around (basically Rib Breaker has a better hitbox)

Jason 2/2 (Relentless/Unstoppable)
Jason 0/2 Slasher
Kung Lao 0/2
Jax 0/0
Sonya 2/2
Kenshi 0/2
Kitana 0/1
Scorpion (Hellfire/Inferno) 1/1 (Ninjustu will blow up armor with b4)
Sub-Zero 1/2
Mileena 1/2
Takeda 2/2
Cassie 0/2
Jacqui 0/2
Kung Jin 0/2
Tanya 1/2
Predator 0/2
Shinnok 1/2
Kano 2/2
Johnny Cage 2/2
Erron Black 0/2
Liu Kang 0/2
Ermac 2/2
Kotal Kahn 1/2
Reptile 1/1
Ferra/Torr (Lackey) 0/0
Ferra/Torr (Vicious/Ruthelss) 0/2
D'vorah 0/2
Raiden 1/0
Quan 2/2
Goro 0/0

There are two different things at play here. Some moves seem to simply low profile the grabs (which IMO should be considered a bug, command grab should not be low-profiled). The sweeps however seem to be grab immune, there is usually no low profiling but just weird hitboxes. F/T is (of course) the worst offender:

@ando1184
@bdizzle2700
@countrypistol
@Derptile
@FlappyDaniel
@MrInsaynne
@SaltShaker
@The Hex Man
@Youphemism
@ETC AdmiralAugustus
@Phosferrax

Last edited:
Honestly this really isn't a big deal to me. In the situations were i would ex cmd grab the opponent will not be sweeping and down 4ing and if they are being that predictable the commando player should be putting him in that situation and start low countering the mess out of him. Nothing to say about other strings making it whiff accept that any moves that places the body further away from the attack limb like Dvorah's s3 usually whiffs earlier in the moves active frames but not later. I feel your pain though commando brethren. Stay Strong .Stay Vigilant

But from me to you i wish i never had create that strategy to begin with

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Cryomancer Sub Zero's hammer is throw immune (for whatever reason) as well.

I think most throws in the game work similarly. Would I be correct to assume b4 sweeps not only make Kano's grabs whiff, but all grabs? Worth testing!

Meaty sweeps are decent for closing out rounds, but this kinda shuts down a lot of Commando's options on wake up which is one of his strongest aspects.
Yeah it does sometimes smh .I did a wake up ball on a johnny cage d4 because i knew the cmd grab would whiff . flew right over his head

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Honestly this really isn't a big deal to me. In the situations were i would ex cmd grab the opponent will not be sweeping and down 4ing and if they are being that predictable the commando player should be putting him in that situation and start low countering the mess out of him. Nothing to say about other strings making it whiff accept that any moves that places the body further away from the attack limb like Dvorah's s3 usually whiffs earlier in the moves active frames but not later. I feel your pain though commando brethren. Stay Strong .Stay Vigilant

But from me to you i wish i never had create that strategy to begin with
Yeah it's not huge but the issue is that guess is not in your favor. Whiff a parry and you eat a full combo. Whiff a command grab and you waste a bar and potentially eat a full combo.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
It's all unsafe, but ball cancel is a hella tight punish.

That or ex up ball, or backdash, or block.
Yeah this was tested on wakeup but the issue is that it can happen in neutral. When you're making a read that your opponent is going to press a button in neutral. In those situations other options aren't as good.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Well well well. When Sub Zero's clone didn't work, everyone was up in arms, "don't fix that asshole, he doesn't need a buff, he's working as intended, nerf him again!"

WELL WELL WELL

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Lol small minds of a small character. It's ok, you're in the right place, Kano wouldn't get it either.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
If it is a bug, I hope it gets fixed like Subs clone (kind of) did. But we're enjoying the irony while its here.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Join the club man. Grab immune strings (at least grounded ones) sucks. IMO it makes the already hard read game of grapplers even harder.