What's new

Breakthrough - Commando EX Knife frame trap!

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Ok so both Commando and Cutthroat have this amazing tool, the EX Knife frame trap.
I'm no cutthroat expert but I assume you can do amazing things with it. In commando you can set up pressure/command grab/tick throw. Amazing right. Right? No wait, it has some whiff issues, but that's only against Scorpion right? Right?

No. It whiffs on half the cast. And you can and will get poked out of/armored out of. On some even the MID WILL WHIFF opening you for a full combo punish. Meterless at that. For those that don't like videos here's a general breakdown:

Characters where both knives will hit:
Jason
Kenshi (RIP Kenshi bottom 1)
Kitana
Takeda
Predator
Kung Jin
Tanya
Shinnok
Kano (so honest! Will even hit himself!)
Erron Black
Johnny Cage
Liu Kang*
Ermac
Kotal Kahn
Raiden
Quan Chi

*=The mid will whiff at times vs Liu Kang, see video. Seems pretty random (breathing hitboxes I guess)

Characters where the high will whiff in the corner:
Goro
Sonya
Tremor (not very often though)

Characters where the high will whiff midscreen and high AND mid in the corner:
Kung Lao
Scorpion
Sub Zero (not very often though)
Reptile
D'Vorah
Mileena

Characters with semi-random behaviour:
Jax (Will whiff both knives in the corner randomly)
Cassie (high will connect mid screen but high mid will whiff in the corner)
Ferra/Torr (High will whiff midscreen)

I'm sorry for this Tom Brady-style ruse (not really) but NRS plz.

The last mohik... Kano's:
@ando1184
@bdizzle2700
@FlappyDaniel
@MrInsaynne
@Youphemism
@Derptile
@SaltShaker

NO WAIT SCRATCH SALT THAT JACQUI TRAITOR

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Its looks like since your so close to them that the his arm while throwing extends over their head

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Meanwhile the Erron Black community is having trouble deciding between 3 S-Tier variations.

The struggle is real. God bless all you Commando players.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
So maybe since his arm is over their head when the knife is released the actual hitbox of the knife is already past them.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Meanwhile the Erron Black community is having trouble deciding between 3 S-Tier variations.

The struggle is real. God bless all you Commando players.
It's just frustrating because EX Knife is a great setup but I can never trust it.

ando1184

Noob
Yeh let's hope and pray this gets fixed eventually, as of now though.....looks pretty grim :(. This is the kind of stuff that was most important when it came to nerfs and buffs for this character and they just completely let it skate free. Nice vid and description @MsMiharo, I hope the right people see this.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
The only string i found a while ago that guarantees ex knives is b31-ex knives. The second knife will always hit and its so much block stun thry cant poke out even if the first knife whiffs. Also 112 does the same thing on 95% of the cast. So id suggest doing those strings instead

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
The only string i found a while ago that guarantees ex knives is b31-ex knives. The second knife will always hit and its so much block stun thry cant poke out even if the first knife whiffs. Also 112 does the same thing on 95% of the cast. So id suggest doing those strings instead
112 whiffs like crazy so it's back to square one. b3 is like 14 frames start up lol. Not even remotely as useful

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
112 whiffs like crazy so it's back to square one. b3 is like 14 frames start up lol. Not even remotely as useful
Both strings are useful to start your pressure on oki 112 breaks a lot if ppls armor because its so quick. So if they stay blocking itll hit them (all u need is the 2 to hit) and once they start low blocking ypu can start wirh b31. Also b31 is really goid in the corner for pressure. As even without the knives its +1

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
You guys should try to do Kotal Kahn's 114 string on a crouch blocking female.

It will make these knives look like a godsend.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Thats crazy. At first i was like well maybe knife is a true high and it wiffs crouch blocking or not..then i was like oh bawls