What's new

[Feb 20, 2016] Get it in Ohio - UMK3 Tournament - $1000 to 1st Place! (Cincinnati, OH)

nwo

Noob
I tried to do a "walking spear" on my PS2 pad, on MAME doesn't work. The analog stick and d-pad were assigned as directionals.

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
@NoDoubt I love your attitude. I'm sorry but I don't consider using two joysticks and Dpad cheating. I'm pretty sure infinite number taught me how to buffer. He uses the dpad for instants as well but he does buffer other moves and when he heard its "cheating" he said we have a scary playstyle.

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
Mapping multiple buttons like hp or block hk etc.. I can see that being cheap. But why would someone want to map those buttons twice? Shit all I need is two more movement controlls lol. And I only buffer with nw kabal and kitana . I DON'T need two sticks to play with anyone else. Just my dpad.

dubson

Noob
Could u pls elaborate on this?Aside from "walking spears", which do not work (at least on mame). what else is there?
couldn't you potentially buffer things like robot smoke's teleport punch, nightwolf's shoulder ram out of crouch block/stand block?

buffering forward, forward out of crouch block/stand block?

arcade stick and d-pad cannot do this?

i don't see how they should be allowed either.... being able to block, prevent being thrown, and buffer a move out of that just seems unfair especially if the opponent on controller or arcade stick cannot do the same

Last edited:

mkholic

Noob
couldn't you potentially buffer things like robot smoke's teleport punch, nightwolf's shoulder ram out of crouch block?

buffering forward, forward out of crouch block?
u absolutely can, this is no secret to anyone
in the post though i cited him talking about using opposite directions....

arcade stick and d-pad cannot do this?
this i'd like to know, myself

dubson

Noob
wait, no pretending that u know stuff this time around? all we're left with is "i know a guy that knows"?
what a bummer
something like what i posted is what he is referring to... (buffering a teleport punch out of crouch block), that requires using opposite directions... @w1nter warz is a very good robot smoke player...

arcade sticks and controllers cannot have this possibility of buffering a teleport punch for example (forward, forward) out of crouch block

being able to press back and forward at the same time (opposite directions), is not something an arcade stick or controller can do (how could they?)

and if the argument is that something should be banned in tournament play if it's not possible to do in the arcade version of the game or on a arcade stick, then why should keyboard and hitbox be allowed in tournament play and have this advantage over a arcade stick or controller?

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
something like what i posted is what he is referring to (buffering a teleport punch out of crouch block), @w1nter warz is a very good robot smoke player... that requires using opposite directions...

being able to press back and forward at the same time (opposite directions), is not something an arcade stick or controller can do (how can could they?)

and if the argument is that something should be banned if it's not possible to do in the arcade version of the game or on a arcade stick, then why should keyboard and hitbox be allowed in tournament play and have this advantage over a arcade stick or controller?
From my test it doesn't look like the walking spear is possible on MAME.

Is there a video of one anywhere?

I tried to install MKAK on Steam just now, and I was quickly reminded how much of a pile of shit it is. I wanted to try a walking spear on that too, but I gave up before I could even get it installed.

dubson

Noob
From my test it doesn't look like the walking spear is possible on MAME.

Is there a video of one anywhere?

I tried to install MKAK on Steam just now, and I was quickly reminded how much of a pile of shit it is. I wanted to try a walking spear on that too, but I gave up before I could even get it installed.
lol what the hell bro you think I'm making it up or something?

someone else verify this for the man for crying out loud

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
lol what the hell bro you think I'm making it up or something?

someone else verify this for the man for crying out loud
Well I can't really test it on any other platform. Since this tournament is being held on MAME, I wouldn't ban or worry about keyboard or hitbox.

MRIGOTBASS

Since this tournament is being held in person on MAME, I wouldn't ban or worry about keyboard or hitbox but it doesnt matter anyway because my opinion doesnt mean shit because I am scared to go LOL
You ain't neva lie homie.

mkholic

Noob
something like what i posted is what he is referring to (buffering a teleport punch out of crouch block), @w1nter warz is a very good robot smoke player... that requires using opposite directions...
how down is OPPOSITE to forward? i'm prolly missing something

being able to press back and forward at the same time (opposite directions), is not something an arcade stick or controller can do (how can could they?)
what about db, d, db / df, d, df? it'd help if i had a stick, lol

dubson

Noob
how down is OPPOSITE to forward? i'm prolly missing something

what about db, d, db / df, d, df? it'd help if i had a stick, lol
its just the fact that arcade sticks and controllers can't buffer forward while holding back

so basically you can just hold back and block all day, standing or crouching, and buffer forward, forward the entire time... arcade sticks and controllers cannot do that.. thats not even considering glitch jabs.... i imagine a piano player could get a pretty good finger workout playing this game on a hitbox and be pretty hard to beat at the same time? lol

and what about those directional spots on an arcade stick/controller? this isn't street fighter... and even if it was i know street fighter players that actually use a hitbox for the game and do just fine?

i see your point that there is advantages and disadvantages to every controller, but i guess i just don't know where the line is on this

maybe @Shock can chime on on this, he has more knowledge on the subject that I do

i'm just playing devils advocate here

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's pretty simple. Having multiple directional options allows you do things that aren't normally possible otherwise. Them simply making iafb super easy isn't that bad, but even that alone is arguably too good and warranted of banning. The truth is it allows you to do far more than that, which is why it shouldn't even be a debate. If you have to rely on this in your everyday casual games, if you want to play in a legit tournament, you better learn how to play without it.

Personally, I don't think it would make that big of a difference, because those who have to rely on this probably aren't very good players to begin with. js

mkholic

Noob
its just the fact that arcade sticks and controllers can't buffer forward while holding back

so basically you can just hold back and block all day, standing or crouching, and buffer forward, forward the entire time... arcade sticks and controllers cannot do that.. thats not even considering glitch jabs.... i imagine a guitar player could get a pretty good finger workout playing this game on a hitbox and be pretty hard to beat at the same time? lol
there is no usage (we know of) for holding opposite directions on mame so the above doesn't apply
thank you for the clarification anyway

and what about those directional spots on an arcade stick/controller? this isn't street fighter... and even if it was i know street fighter players that actually use a hitbox for the game and do just fine?
it'll just show if there is a way to perform crouching spears, spins, iafs (the kind that involves buffering) etc on the original controls
hopefully one of the stick owners will get on it

MRIGOTBASS

there is no usage (we know of) for holding opposite directions on mame so the above doesn't apply

it'll just show if there is a way to perform crouching spears, spins, iafs (the kind that involves buffering) etc on the original controls
2 Polar Opposite directional inputs being pressed at the same time is not a mechanic that was in the original game period, its not up for debate, Any controller configuration that breaks this simple rule is cheating period.

Most people that post this nonsense are sub par competitors, or people like @mkholic who not 1 person on this site has ever seen play umk3 or ever played.

Paper UMK3 players an shit.

dubson

Noob
haha ok gotcha, sorry man i dont play on a keyboard or hitbox and i really have no idea about them

maybe thats why @nwo couldn't get the walking spear to come out....

Last edited:

mkholic

Noob
2 Polar Opposite directional inputs being pressed at the same time is not a mechanic that was in the original game period, its not up for debate, Any controller configuration that breaks this simple rule is cheating period.
u can be pressing all of them at once for all i care, yet this doesn't break the game

or people like @mkholic who not 1 person on this site has ever seen play umk3 or ever played
i did everyone a favour cuz nobody enjoys playing with someone on dial-up

Paper UMK3 players an shit.
if it makes u feel any better about ursself...

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter

so basically you can just hold back and block all day, standing or crouching, and buffer forward, forward the entire time... arcade sticks and controllers cannot do that.. thats not even considering glitch jabs.... i imagine a piano player could get a pretty good finger workout playing this game on a hitbox and be pretty hard to beat at the same time? lol

i see your point that there is advantages and disadvantages to every controller, but i guess i just don't know where the line is on this

maybe @Shock can chime on on this, he has more knowledge on the subject that I do

i'm just playing devils advocate here
It's all about button counts. I mean, some people have different style gates for sticks, but they still have 4 inputs to be activated. There shouldn't be this much thought going into this. Post 90s, UMK3 tournaments have been run since 2001 with the biggest issue being character lock and smoke changing between rounds.

Crouching spins and iafs absolutely. As long as you keep the stick down, down-back to down-forward will get a spin out. Haven't tried a spear. And I'm bad with arcade controls but I can get iafs out with ease. Not as easily as with a pad though :)