What's new

[Feb 20, 2016] Get it in Ohio - UMK3 Tournament - $1000 to 1st Place! (Cincinnati, OH)

A Career Match, I have seen it happen before, Sawns beat Trigavelli for his career LOL.

I also firmly believe im sure that @Shock will not agree but Keyboards should also be banned from any real competitive play or any other device that lest 2 opposite directionals to be held at the same time B/F U/D. The stick on the cab doesnt work like this and it also enables cheating.

@Platinum Shinobi dude I have played you, you are ok, we chatted, you told me about your homie getting shot, you didnt win 1 game, stop playing with 2 sets of controls and concentrate on 1.

@Juggs Its $200 flight and @tehdrewsus will let u stay at his crib, its a nice suburban home, it even has a Porte-cochère so the sun won't hit you dude.
Maybe there's another secret sponsor out there

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
Tahaha think what you want. Ive played most of you and nodoubt and bass are the best. And no shit i only won a match against you bass? I was talking the whole time so don't run ya mouth because i wasn't playing serious. And my connection is fine you must be high dubson. Im here on the west coast most of yall might be east. Laggggg. ClevelandMenace has a BAD connection. And who gives a fuck who i use against who ever? We've all been over match ups.

dubson

Noob
Buffering has always been a part of umk3?
In his defense, what he is referring to is being able to move around with the Joysticks and buffer moves with the D-pad...

Like "Walking Spears" with Scorpion, things like that. Or moving around/blocking with the Joystick or D-pad and buffering moves with the other. So he is using the term buffering right, he just didn't explain what he was talking about very clearly.

Basically though, yes, considered cheating in tournament play as that requires using multiple joysticks. An advantage the arcade cabinet doesn't have.

Tahaha think what you want. Ive played most of you and nodoubt and bass are the best. And no shit i only won a match against you bass? I was talking the whole time so don't run ya mouth because i wasn't playing serious. And my connection is fine you must be high dubson. Im here on the west coast most of yall might be east. Laggggg. ClevelandMenace has a BAD connection. And who gives a fuck who i use against who ever? We've all been over match ups.
Yes, we did agree that Mr Bass and NoDoubt are the two best on PSN and that everyone else is in a tier under them.

I'm in the MidWest. So I have an advantage in that I'm not super far away from anyone or having to play from coast-to-coast, and your connection is Not Fine. And @ClevelandMenace..JAX WINS connection is better than yours pal, straight up.

And you can pick whoever you want, I don't give a shit at all bro. I don't make excuses or complain, I just play the game of UMK3.

Last edited:

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
THANK YOU DUBSON for clearing the whole "buffering" thing. Walking spears, croutched spins ect.. Is exactly what I was talking about. But i understand the rules now. Just wish we could do that. Im pretty sure the internet i was using is centurylink. I wasn't hardwired either.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
In his defense, what he is referring to is being able to move around with the Joysticks and buffer moves with the D-pad...

Like "Walking Spears" with Scorpion, things like that. Or moving around/blocking with the Joystick or D-pad and buffering moves with the other. So he is using the term buffering right, he just didn't explain what he was talking about very clearly.

Basically though, yes, considered cheating in tournament play as that requires using multiple joysticks. An advantage the arcade cabinet doesn't have.
Buffering is when you buffer a move, FF, BB, etc but don't necessarily press the final sequence in the move. Buffering is definitely possible in all forms of UMK3. So when he says "we are not allowed to buffer?", he's not referring to legit buffering, because buffering is allowed, lol. His question should have been, "we're not allowed to cheat buffer?". And the answer is no, you're not.

dubson

Noob
Buffering is when you buffer a move, FF, BB, etc but don't necessarily press the final sequence in the move. Buffering is definitely possible in all forms of UMK3. So when he says "we are not allowed to buffer?", he's not referring to legit buffering, because buffering is allowed, lol. His question should have been, "we're not allowed to cheat buffer?". And the answer is no, you're not.
We all know what it is, he just didn't explain what he was referring to very clearly and yes technically you could call what he was referring to as cheat buffering. But what he is talking about is still buffering. Straight up.

But he gets the difference now.

THANK YOU DUBSON for clearing the whole "buffering" thing. Walking spears, croutched spins ect.. Is exactly what I was talking about. But i understand the rules now. Just wish we could do that. Im pretty sure the internet i was using is centurylink. I wasn't hardwired either.
No problem homie, just add me back and quit with that removing nonsense man and complaining about glitch jabs.

I really don't care about the connection, I just play the game of UMK3.

I hear @Killer Cam Whitmore is proficient at sql coding. Maybe he can write you a script where are you have to do is plug a flash drive in and it predicts all your opponents moves??

And I'm still baffled that you didn't know where Ohio is.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
@Juggs would you go to the tournament if Danny Andrews was willing to go ?
I don't know who that is. And if I can train AND get the funds together before the end of January, I'll be going. But like @dubson, this will be costing me a pretty penny to go, so I can't give an answer right now.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
In this thread, the word buffer means "cheat"

@Killer Cam Whitmore - I wouldn't argue against banning keyboards, but if they aren't legal, neither are hitboxes. Most players can't even understand how people play on a KB, so they don't think about the advantages one has, however, you still are limited to 4 directionals, and 6 buttons on them so you aren't cheating Again, the KB and hitbox are definitely superior forms of input. You would have to be able to perform all moves on your layout also without needing to bind, like no binding for Forceballs, Slide, Fan Throw, the only binding tolerated is to select Human Smoke, which is solved by the Juggernaut hack anyway.

Been tournament standard for YEARS.
We made exceptions for MAME due to the arduous task for plugging in multiple controllers and changing buttons. Countless tournaments have been held on two sticks and two PS2 gamepads. By crisscrossing the Block and Run on the gamepads, you cover the defaults for virtually all the major console ports, and never have to change buttons. R1 = BL for 360 and PSX, R2 = Run for PSX and SNES, L1 = Run for 360, L2 = Block for SNES.

I've actually had players who prefer the SNES default also insist to change the locations to the 1s because they couldn't play comfortably on the 2s. Ultra Sigh.

There have been instances again, where players wanted custom placement for charge buttons which was allowed once and never again.

Last edited:

nwo

Noob
In this thread, the word buffer means "cheat"

@Killer Cam Whitmore - I wouldn't argue against banning keyboards, but if they aren't legal, neither are hitboxes. Most players can't even understand how people play on a KB, so they don't think about the advantages one has, however, you still are limited to 4 directionals, and 6 buttons on them so you aren't cheating Again, the KB and hitbox are definitely superior forms of input. You would have to be able to perform all moves on your layout also without needing to bind, like no binding for Forceballs, Slide, Fan Throw, the only binding tolerated is to select Human Smoke, which is solved by the Juggernaut hack anyway.
You don't think hitbox is overrated a little? I mostly see Pad and Stick in most tournaments. A stick has to offer some advantages at least.

I wouldn't ban keyboard at all for UMK3, its mostly Europeans that use them, I'd say if you were willing to travel all this way. Knock yourself out.

Last edited:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You don't think hitbox is overrated a little? I mostly see Pad and Stick in most tournaments. A stick has to offer some advantages at least.

I wouldn't ban keyboard at all for UMK3, its mostly Europeans that use them, I'd say if you were willing to travel all this way. Knock yourself out.
Hitbox and kb are baffling to most players. I know a handful of hitbox players and a number of KB players in the States.

Reactions: nwo

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
Buffering ain't cheating. It's in the game. So doing a special move from a block stance is cheating? I'm just using a different animation instead of block. It helps a lot. Trikke does the same thing with C Smoke.

dubson

Noob
Buffering ain't cheating. It's in the game. So doing a special move from a block stance is cheating? I'm just using a different animation instead of block. It helps a lot. Trikke does the same thing with C Smoke.
Buffering isn't cheating man, it's only cheating when your using the joysticks and d-pad at the same time to do it.

For example, Walking Spears... it's only possible to do them using the joysticks and d-pad at the same time.

But say your playing as H Smoke against Nightwolf, and Nightwolf does his auto combo, and while your blocking your tapping Back Back, so that when Nightwolf is done with his autocombo you can tap Low Punch for the Spear to come out. That's fine man and only requires 1 control stick....

Buffering is completely fine and possible using only 1 control stick....

mkholic

Noob
Buffering isn't cheating man, it's only cheating when your using the joysticks and d-pad at the same time to do it.

For example, Walking Spears... it's only possible to do them using the joysticks and d-pad at the same time.

But say your playing as H Smoke against Nightwolf, and Nightwolf does his auto combo, and while your blocking your tapping Back Back, so that when Nightwolf is done with his autocombo you can tap Low Punch for the Spear to come out. That's fine man and only requires 1 control stick....

Buffering is completely fine and possible using only 1 control stick....
So what u're saying is it's possible to move in one direction and buffer the other?Can it be done with analogs only?

Last edited:

Platinum Shinobi

Top Quality Ninja
You kinda have to have joysticks and a dpad to buffer. For example: if I wanted to buffer kabals spin I'd point the right joystick down and do the move on the dpad. Iafb I use the left stick and have it pointed up. Or if I wanted to buffer nightwolfs shoulder I'd point the right stick left or down depending on what the opponent is doing.

MRIGOTBASS

You kinda have to have joysticks and a dpad to buffer. For example: if I wanted to buffer kabals spin I'd point the right joystick down and do the move on the dpad. Iafb I use the left stick and have it pointed up. Or if I wanted to buffer nightwolfs shoulder I'd point the right stick left or down depending on what the opponent is doing.
Does the arcade cabinet have 2 sets of sticks per player, NO.

Can argue all day about what you can do with 2 sets of controls, however 1 thing from playing you I know u cant do with 2 sets of controls is actually win games LOL.

Over there fumbling with a bunch of joysticks and finger combinations and shit getting flogged and babied and shit.

Stick to 1 directional input loc.

dubson

Noob
So what u're saying is it's possible to move in one direction and buffer the other?Can it be done with analogs only?
Yeah, on Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, it allows the player to move with the D-pad as well as both of the Joysticks at the same time. You have to have access to multiple control sticks on a controller, like a Playstation controller for example.

So you could be walking forward with the Joystick, and tapping back, back on the D-pad and then hit low punch and a spear will come out with Scorpion, for example.

Or you could hold up on the Joystick, and tap back, back on the D-pad and then hit high punch to have Kabal do an instant air fireball.

Many possibilities, but yeah.

mkholic

Noob
Keyboards should also be banned from any real competitive play or any other device that lest 2 opposite directionals to be held at the same time B/F U/D. The stick on the cab doesnt work like this and it also enables cheating.
Could u pls elaborate on this?Aside from "walking spears", which do not work (at least on mame). what else is there?

Reactions: nwo

NoDoubt

nasty
Iv always jus used dpad alone for instants.

Iv played kids using multiple mapped buttons, keyboards, n turbo macros on mame in the past. Cheating or not, bring it on biotch