What's new

Doctor Fate General Discussion

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
Could one of you possibly put a vid out for some setups you find with this? I'd appreciate it.

babalook

Noob
this is actually pretty decent. you can go for a crossup ji3 too and weird shit happens

Last edited:

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
@DarksydeDash @OmGxBdON how r u guys setting up your throws? I throw more than any human being but w fate and his throw range it isn't happening as much.

Any tips on how to setup the throws
Two ways that have been extremely consistent for me:

ending combos with 211xx orb and then MB rolling to the other side, (catches those who think they can just hold back)

Using F2xxdb2, use ankhs to cover myself, F2xxankh, throw/ throw bait.

Other than that, its his best punisher if they are close enough for it.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
@DarksydeDash @OmGxBdON how r u guys setting up your throws? I throw more than any human being but w fate and his throw range it isn't happening as much.

Any tips on how to setup the throws
Other than set up u just have to be lucky your close to the opponent to enforce the grab since his throw has dinosaur arms its easy for people to see it coming cuz of it.

DC4-3

Low tier button masher.
maybe but if u wanted to go for chip u could probably do db2 walk in 112db2 for even more chip.
Yeah I know. Me being realistic, I just wanna see if there's a good setup with the enhanced damage orb off this. Maybe near the corner so that even though they push block they're gonna take unblockable damage from it.

I have to say aside from the appalling mess that the controls in this game are in, Dr Fate is just not cutting the mustard. He's got no answers to so many characters, he's outzones by almost everyone and has no reliable way to get in. F2 is stuffed almost every time (when the controls don't whiff it after crouching and read it as the healing orb). His normals are too slow under pressure and his combo strings are awkward to input for no reason.

Ankh tricks may be fun, but you'll never use them in a proper match because you'll just get stuffed. Even then you'll likely end the round before doing anything, which cancels them anyway.

The more i see of the roster, the less impressed with the game I am: it's dreadfully unbalanced

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I have to say aside from the appalling mess that the controls in this game are in, Dr Fate is just not cutting the mustard. He's got no answers to so many characters, he's outzones by almost everyone and has no reliable way to get in. F2 is stuffed almost every time (when the controls don't whiff it after crouching and read it as the healing orb). His normals are too slow under pressure and his combo strings are awkward to input for no reason.

Ankh tricks may be fun, but you'll never use them in a proper match because you'll just get stuffed. Even then you'll likely end the round before doing anything, which cancels them anyway.

The more i see of the roster, the less impressed with the game I am: it's dreadfully unbalanced

OmGxBdON

Seriously no offense but i think u just need to get better. Cuz u clearly dont know what your talking about

Pig Of The Hut

i'd rather have an actual discussion about it. Video clips don't really answer the issue
Well you said Fate players would never use ankhs well . Here's a ft20 vs a perienial major placer and evo finalist

I agree w @OmGxBdON you came in here w a poor attitude about the character when it's more than likely your current skill level

OmGxBdON

Do you have an argument for that, or just trolling? I freely admit i'm not great, so what?
So u dont play fate great and lose to shit that normally is in fates favor. And since playing fate isnt clear cut like superman u think the character sucks. Its just u. Thats a big problem with tym. (no offense) casuals who are half decent at the game complain that the character sucks when its just them.
Really lose to every character with a projectile?
Im not looking at a character select screen but the only MU where fate's zoning is severely countered is supes, darkseid to my knoweledge. And yes ik supergirl is in the game but she doesnt counter fates zoning like those two. And i still need to play those two MUs more too to get a clear answer

Well you said Fate players would never use ankhs well . Here's a ft20 vs a perienial major placer and evo finalist

I agree w @OmGxBdON you came in here w a poor attitude about the character when it's more than likely your current skill level
No that's not what I said.

I said that you're wasting your time because under pressure you're not going to use them and you'd be better of dealing damage.

My attitude isn't up for discussion. Stick to the topic, anything else is ad hominem

So u dont play fate great and lose to shit that normally is in fates favor. And since playing fate isnt clear cut like superman u think the character sucks. Its just u. Thats a big problem with tym. (no offense) casuals who are half decent at the game complain that the character sucks when its just them.
Really lose to every character with a projectile?
What shit are you referring to? I didn't name any specific situations or moves.

If you don't like my opinion I invite you to back it up, then we can have a productive discussion about it. Woudn't that be better?

OmGxBdON

It would be nice if in fates general discussion people would talk about the different tools he has and how to use them instead of talking about how he sucks. Take your skill level into account before you leave a comment that just wastes time. For example when people say fate gets zoned out by all the zoners. The only MUs where this is true is supes and darkseid. And fate can contest darkseid IMO. And these MUs have barely been explored. Cuz like me other fate players played the MU said wow this is hard and switched to a different character. Although i do think u should have a pocket character. Mine is brainac in case anybody wonders.

Pig Of The Hut

No that's not what I said.

I said that you're wasting your time because under pressure you're not going to use them and you'd be better of dealing damage.

My attitude isn't up for discussion. Stick to the topic, anything else is ad hominem
Again super stupid statement seeing how you can release ankhs inbetween b13 from GL and interrupt for full combo, realease them after f23 breath ....etc etc

There's many offensive and defensive ways to use ankh, fate sounds a little complicated for you man, stick w Superman and Aqua

Hi everyone, I have been giving myself a couple days to play with Dr. Fate and wanted to report my findings about his toolset. It may be redundant and stuff you already found. Lets start with the easy stuff.

F2 - It is a nice footsie tool for punishes and trip guards. Cancelling into DB2 is the default action to make it safe. A couple thoughts about this. His F2 U3 string does not come out on block. But if you default to DB2 most players are scared of it. So F2 U3 becomes somewhat of a quarter screen stagger that hits mid and it essentially auto confirms the U3 on hit. I recommend using this when doing footsies as you do not know if you will hit it or not, but as you all know landing any hit with Fate is really good since you can set up ankhs. Alternatively, you can go into trait and hit confirm into MB DB2 for full combo and more setups.

Blast- Good projectile, some MU they can heavily duck it from far away. Recommend not to MB while out of trait just because you are losing damage potential.

Orb - Nice mid projectile to slow down the pace. Also can follow up with pressure if you need to with F2 or F3 depending how they react.

Trait- I think it is fair to say, there is little disadvantage of being in his trait form. That being said I feel my games are way better when I am constantly traiting. Even raw to blast or DB2 just to get it going. The ankhs are infinitely better and all your damage goes up. Throws become a thing etc. Speaking of throw, he is one of the few that can get that kind of damage on throw with 1 or more ankhs up. Its a shame his arms or short, but you can use it like a 10 frame close mid.

I will add more findings. I am still losing quite a bit, but I see myself getting better.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Hi everyone, I have been giving myself a couple days to play with Dr. Fate and wanted to report my findings about his toolset. It may be redundant and stuff you already found. Lets start with the easy stuff.

F2 - It is a nice footsie tool for punishes and trip guards. Cancelling into DB2 is the default action to make it safe. A couple thoughts about this. His F2 U3 string does not come out on block. But if you default to DB2 most players are scared of it. So F2 U3 becomes somewhat of a quarter screen stagger that hits mid and it essentially auto confirms the U3 on hit. I recommend using this when doing footsies as you do not know if you will hit it or not, but as you all know landing any hit with Fate is really good since you can set up ankhs. Alternatively, you can go into trait and hit confirm into MB DB2 for full combo and more setups.

non-traited db2 doesn't make f2 safe, black adam, supes, robin, (was told atro,& cw but haven't tested),and prob some others punish it (its -9)

another small thing about f2~db2is there is a slight gap you can backdash/super between before db2

Again super stupid statement seeing how you can release ankhs inbetween b13 from GL and interrupt for full combo, realease them after f23 breath ....etc etc

There's many offensive and defensive ways to use ankh, fate sounds a little complicated for you man, stick w Superman and Aqua
I've never played either of those, i pick who appeals to me from the source.