What's new

Doctor Fate General Discussion

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I have been seeing videos of fate's final punishment traps exploding right to left (so it brings the opponent towards him), when I can only get mine to explode left to right... what the hell am I missing? For example, skip to 1:58 in this video
To make the ankhs land right to left. Simply just hold the button down when you do df3 to release the ankhs. You don't need to hold the button too long just a little longer than usual

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Anyway, I searched the forums and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen someone mention this yet - has anyone done this sort of "Instant ankh move" where you simultaneously dispatch and summon an ankh? I think I've done it a couple of times in training - ring a bell anyone?

Last edited:

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Anyway, I searched the forums and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen someone mention this yet - has anyone done this sort of "Instant ankh move" where you simultaneously dispatch and summon an ankh? I think I've done it a couple of times in training - ring a bell anyone?
do it all the time

OmGxBdON

Even if he does go even with deadshot in zoning (which I don't agree with) he definitely loses up close. Do you honestly think this character is good enough to be top 10? Worst grab/d1 range in the game, mediocre antiairs, zoning game good but not amazing, no 50/50, no advantage on block strings, no advantage on block MB special, no hit confirmable normal into combo, shit damage, mediocre corner game, no restand, and no safe special to cancel into (I know glyph might as well be safe at tip range, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for some of the other characters' safe on block specials). I'm not saying the character is unusable or that I don't win with him, but I do think as people get more comfortable with the matchup, his flaws will become glaringly apparent.
my only problem is that i think you dont know what your doing with the character or have a game plan. Outzoned by atro-citrus, ivy ? really? And most of the other characters you mentioned. These two are glaringly wrong tho. Im not saying hes amazing just people got to put more time into him before saying he gets outzoned by a character who dont even zone.

babalook

Noob
my only problem is that i think you dont know what your doing with the character or have a game plan. Outzoned by atro-citrus, ivy ? really? And most of the other characters you mentioned. These two are glaringly wrong tho. Im not saying hes amazing just people got to put more time into him before saying he gets outzoned by a character who dont even zone.
I will concede that he may not get outzoned by some of the characters mentioned (i think he has trouble zoning in those matchups) but I still think he most likely loses those matchups. Are you sure about ivy, I haven't played a good one yet but doesn't her plant drill win projectile trades as well as the fact that she has that buff move that makes her take no chip.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Doctor Fate definitely isn't shit, I don't think he will turn out to be a very dominant character either though, but he has some really good tools. We will just have to see how matchups develop, but it's too early for that. Imo Doctor Fate mains should pocket Aquaman or Batman.

OmGxBdON

I will concede that he may not get outzoned by some of the characters mentioned (i think he has trouble zoning in those matchups) but I still think he most likely loses those matchups. Are you sure about ivy, I haven't played a good one yet but doesn't her plant drill win projectile trades as well as the fact that she has that buff move that makes her take no chip.
Dr.fate out damages her on trades even when she has the bar skin on. So she definently loses the zoning war, especially because dr.fate can pop trait and do almost double what her plant drill does. She completely loses the zoning war in this MU. even if she has the life lead, fate can catch up fast.

Doctor Fate definitely isn't shit, I don't think he will turn out to be a very dominant character either though, but he has some really good tools. We will just have to see how matchups develop, but it's too early for that. Imo Doctor Fate mains should pocket Aquaman or Batman.
Mind if I ask you something in the PMs?

babalook

Noob
Dr.fate out damages her on trades even when she has the bar skin on. So she definently loses the zoning war, especially because dr.fate can pop trait and do almost double what her plant drill does. She completely loses the zoning war in this MU. even if she has the life lead, fate can catch up fast.
Do you use ankhs in matches. I've come to realize that a lot of the pro players using him seem to steer clear of summoning ankhs unless it's an easy matchup and I'm assuming it's because ur almost always better off putting a db1 on screen or activating trait.

OmGxBdON

Do you use ankhs in matches. I've come to realize that a lot of the pro players using him seem to steer clear of summoning ankhs unless it's an easy matchup and I'm assuming it's because ur almost always better off putting a db1 on screen or activating trait.
As the game evolves pro players will probably start using ankhs more. Im sure there are MUs where ankhs are hard to get out but there stil useful. And yes i try to always use ankhs because getting three on your opponent isnt difficult and usin db1 with the ankhs makes it easier to get them which leads to the beam which allows you to zone better and get more ankhs to loop the same full screen zoning pressure. Its even better to mb db1 to get your ankhs out to constantly harass them with it. You have to remember that because your a zoning character getting your ankhs out isnt as diificult as you think it is becausae your opponent is expecting a projectile. It works just like sinestros trait except you can call ankhs out whenever you want. Another good thing that goes along with ankhs is to summon them and call them out immediately to slowly work your way up to 3. Obviously you got a timer, but its good to try to atleast have 1 or 2 ankhs on your opponent on stand by so all you have to is pop one ankh and they have to stop whatever they are doing and block. Good for when your opponent finally gets in or just your zoning in general. sorry for the long post but these are things im currently trying to implement into my gameplan with fate.

dwz_mk9

I could do this all day...
So I've been playing Dr. Fate for a couple days now and I was curious to what the general game plan is with him. I know his zoning is pretty good, but what about when the opponent gets in? When should I activate trait? Are the Ankhs all that effective in real matches? Any tips on these would be extremely helpful! :)

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Just to let people know, his normal ankhs are actually really useful in his zoning.

Every orb from full screen guarantees one ankh summon but you can get two out most of the time.

If you send your 3 normal ankhs at the same time as a MbFireball the beam will hit them just after the fireball is over, covering the gap and allowing you to get another fireball check or an orb which allows you to summon more ankhs. The fireball also stop them moving so all three ankhs are basically guaranteed to hit.

And lastly, something which is really interesting and I'm not sure if people know. If only 1 or 2 of your ankhs hit an opponent, while they are still visibly attached to the opponent you can quickly summon another ankh or two and if you semd them and they hit the beam will still come out. Very good to know.

If any of this stuff is already known I apologise, I've not had time to read through this whole thread yet.

OmGxBdON

Just to let people know, his normal ankhs are actually really useful in his zoning.

Every orb from full screen guarantees one ankh summon but you can get two out most of the time.

If you send your 3 normal ankhs at the same time as a MbFireball the beam will hit them just after the fireball is over, covering the gap and allowing you to get another fireball check or an orb which allows you to summon more ankhs. The fireball also stop them moving so all three ankhs are basically guaranteed to hit.

And lastly, something which is really interesting and I'm not sure if people know. If only 1 or 2 of your ankhs hit an opponent, while they are still visibly attached to the opponent you can quickly summon another ankh or two and if you semd them and they hit the beam will still come out. Very good to know.

If any of this stuff is already known I apologise, I've not had time to read through this whole thread yet.
Not saying he needs a buff but just saying if they made it so ankhs dont go away after some time being attached to your opponent without geting all three on, then i'd think he'd be top 3 easy
it would be insanely good, borderline broken

babalook

Noob
Not saying he needs a buff but just saying if they made it so ankhs dont go away after some time being attached to your opponent without geting all three on, then i'd think he'd be top 3 easy
He'd have some cool ass setups whenever you had two stuck on the opponent and one summoned (or vice versa).

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
That's what I'm saying, they already do! It's not a huge period of time tbh but let's say only two of your ankhs hit the opponent. You have more than enough time to throw a fireball, summon one more ankh and send it, then the beam will still come down and hit them even though you hit them with 2 ankhs at first, summoned another then hit them with the third.

NoahCruz

Kings of Knights
Speaking of anhks, is there an ability that Doctor Fate can get that allows him to summon three at once? I see this a lot in multiverse.

EDIT: Nvm, I found it.

Last edited:

Seobones

Noob
as a Ivy main I can confirm that she loose the zoning war badly, same against deadshot

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I'm trying to pocket Aquaman.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
so who can punish f2~db2?
superman,blackadam, batman (technially) and robin....
who else people know of atm the mo, havn't gone to testing whole cast yet, just been seeing from people im playing against