What's new

Doctor Fate General Discussion

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Extremely important thing to do in this match-up is MB Roll so we must always conserve bar.

For example, we can use MB Roll on reaction to punish air lasers by rolling underneath him. Working on a proper optimal punish but the best I have so far is 11, 211xx ankh.
Able to mb roll and get b3? What's the optimal combo in trait w one ankh and no ankh

I feel like i can't deal with black adam and darkseid.

I don't have time for ankhs, all of my starters start with a mid or high so they rarely have to duck, i get hit by a projectile that knocks me down and then they gain the lead and then i'm the one getting zoned.

like, i really like fate, and i hate playing other characters...but damn this game (and doing tournaments) has a way of making me feel like trash

edit: tonight i beat a pro player for the first time ever (did it in ranked). as my first fighting game, i take back most of what i said and i don't feel like as much trash anymore

Last edited:

babalook

Noob
So recently if I have one ankh I've been activating trait and summoning another ankh while releasing the ankh I already had. It's a decent way of covering you trait activation that leaves you in a great position if the opponent blocks the ankh and often a combo if they don't (or in the case of a not so great trade you can go for a grab/normal on oki). Also, if you do this when the opponent is at df[3] range and they block the ankh they have to block a fireball then block the ankh you just summoned then block another fireball, and when going for this if you see that they dashed forward out of the df[3] range you can release the other ankh to prevent being punished.

So recently if I have one ankh I've been activating trait and summoning another ankh while releasing the ankh I already had. It's a decent way of covering you trait activation that leaves you in a great position if the opponent blocks the ankh and often a combo if they don't (or in the case of a not so great trade you can go for a grab/normal on oki). Also, if you do this when the opponent is at df[3] range and they block the ankh they have to block a fireball then block the ankh you just summoned then block another fireball, and when going for this if you see that they dashed forward out of the df[3] range you can release the other ankh to prevent being punished.
yea i guess the issue i run into is summoning ankhs at full-screen when my opponent has the tools to zone as well. to me, ankhs almost become an afterthought unless i'm going against a character without that ability (flash, grodd, etc).

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
This is probably known but since it's the first setup I found with fate I thought I'd share.
If the opponent blocks traited ankhs fate can do these things:
1: let f3 rip and catch the overhead
2: the opponent reacts to the f3 and blocks high, since he is blocking high you can mb dash cancel the f3 to cross them up with the ankh
3: dash cancel out of f3 and f3 again for a combo if the opponent expects the crossup

Options 1 and 3 leave you at plus frames to continue pressure

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
So when I played last night raw far ankh summon in trait was no longer a hard knock down and the follow up pillar on the triple ankhs in non trait was also no longer a hkd.

Idk what's going on

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Just want to let everyone know that I am working on a video to showcase the following:

1. Meterless combos with no trait or ankhs

2. Meterless combos with trait but no ankhs

3. Metered and Meterless combos with 1, 2, or 3 ankhs into either setup, damage, positioning,

4. Options/Notes against certain matchups such as Black Adam, Batman, Catwoman, Superman, and others that are requested.

5. Advantageous Stages and interactables for the Doc, as well as the importance of abusing MB Heal Orb after taking your opponent's first life bar.

6. Using orb to cover MB roll to prevent yourself from being Cornered.

Expect tons of posts from me next week after I get a taste of Mr. Todd on Tuesday, (currently struggling to find more enjoyable characters to play outside Fate, WoWo, and Kara).

With that said, let us continue evolving our character.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Just want to let everyone know that I am working on a video to showcase the following:

1. Meterless combos with no trait or ankhs

2. Meterless combos with trait but no ankhs

3. Metered and Meterless combos with 1, 2, or 3 ankhs into either setup, damage, positioning,

4. Options/Notes against certain matchups such as Black Adam, Batman, Catwoman, Superman, and others that are requested.

5. Advantageous Stages and interactables for the Doc, as well as the importance of abusing MB Heal Orb after taking your opponent's first life bar.

Expect tons of posts from me next week after I get a taste of Mr. Todd on Tuesday, (currently struggling to find more enjoyable characters to play outside Fate, WoWo, and Kara).

With that said, let us continue evolving our character.
How's wowo

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
How's wowo
Good damage, Short(ish) range, Risky but rewarding trait, + Specials/strings, AMAZING J3 AND D2, 50/50s in the corner, struggles against zoning (can't parry low projectiles and lack of air dash unless gained by trait through RNG), Shield Toss in the air or on ground is a great tool for punishes just outside full screen, but everything she does knocks the opponent fullscreen so she has to work her way in again.

Early impressions, only played her for 2 weeks so far but really enjoy her.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
God I wish Doctor Fate's d2 was quicker
Yeah nrs needs to understand that d2s will easily lose to jump ins (ex. Batman j2) simply because jump ins start up faster than anti airs. Just look at doctor fate, he has a 4 frame j2 and his d2 is more than double the frames

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
So the more and more I play fate. The better I am at using full combo punishes when I can. But something I've been noticing that's really important is when your in Trait and have n ankh out, u need to make sure that when your opponent jumps in on you and your suck in some animation or you weren't ready for the jump in you have to use the ankh to punish him for the jump in. Its hard to react at first but I'm getting better at it the more I play. Also another thing you should notice is if your opponent switches sides with you as your placing an orb down because they jumped or meterburned rolled, you have to be quick and stop the orb behind you so that u can save yourself from getting full combo punished. This situation would happen to me a lot and I was wondering if I could stop it after a side switch and u can thankfully. Dr. Fate haslot of insurance policies that u need to take advantage of. It is just not as potatoe as the citrus

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
When I read or react to a jump but the d2 is too slow I want to jump into a volcano
Your problem is your using d2. Your better off doing a d1 or a standing 1. Even standing 3. Probably better, haven't tried using standing 3 but it looks promising. If your gonna anti-air your best option is jump 1. Or jump 2. I prefer jump 1.

And ofcourse b2 but even that's ass

gibster13

A fan of fans
Your problem is your using d2. Your better off doing a d1 or a standing 1. Even standing 3. Probably better, haven't tried using standing 3 but it looks promising. If your gonna anti-air your best option is jump 1. Or jump 2. I prefer jump 1.

And ofcourse b2 but even that's ass
Alright cheers, I tried d1 before and it just was not working for me consistently.

Gonna try s3 more