What's new

Question Do you really think Raiden is unexplored?

Do you think Raiden is unexplored?

• Yes, I've barely touched the character let alone experimented or have any real matchup experience.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • No.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 37 31.6%

• Total voters

Vagrant

Noob
I wouldn't say unexplored. But I sense a raiden band wagon coming again. The community does this thing where solid chars go pretty unused for a little while for the most part and then everyone jumps back on them. Happened with rax over the last few months. I bet it happens with Raiden again.

Shoutouts to Chaosphere btw. Best raiden I've ever played, bastard knocked me out of losers at Frosty Faustings

coolwhip

Noob
Until you learn to play every match-up correctly with your character, your character is unexplored. Exploring a character doesn't simply mean coming up with set-ups and "visible new-tech", it could be limited to how you approach a certain match-up, what you punish/how you punish it, etc... which at the highest level, makes a huge difference.

I doubt anyone here would say Johnny Cage is unexplored in the loose sense of the word, yet look at how Cage players used to play against Kitana 5 months ago, and look at what Dizzy does now.

coolwhip

Noob
Brady whinging again. Maybe if he wasn't telling the raiden community they aren't playing the character right and that he would be the best raiden people may have been a bit nicer to him. Oh well.
By the same token, if the Raiden community was accomplishing much with the character, Brady wouldn't be so condescending.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
The issue is simple.

It is not because Raiden isn't a top character, he is. But the problem is because three characters fully occupy this game at the minute.

1. Kabal
2. Kung Lao
3. Kenshi
---
4. (Freddy)

And even though Raiden goes even if not almost even with all these characters, it still takes incredible work and amazing reads, his work is cut out for him right from the off, and even if you are a Raiden main, he is not the go to character for any of these matches.

Lets stop bashing down on Raiden because of the top 3 dominance. Even Kenshi gets smashed in by Kabal, and Kabal can't do whatever he wants against KL, and KL can't respect Kenshi or KL will get fucked up.
Cyrax, Skarlet, Smoke, AND Raiden actually in my opinion do well against those top 4 characters not Kabal obviously, (nobody does well against Kabal.) But the next 3 for sure these characters can go even with or extremely close to even

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Its hard out there for raiden
with interuptible strings and punishable tele and extele
It definitely comes down to the player because winning with him is hard
especially when somebody knows how to fight raiden.
Complete lameness will get the job done with raiden in a lot of his mus
I think he's been explored but has to be played differently idk
Good luck to anybody using raiden in tourny against high lvl lao,sonya,kabal etc it won't be easy.
I think with raiden you need at least one more character.
I don't think its possible to go all raiden anymore
But maybe somebody will prove me wrong

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Raiden's gonna keep being "Unexplored" until a player breaks top 8 at a major or beats a top player using him. That's just how it goes.

coolwhip

Noob
Raiden's gonna keep being "Unexplored" until a player breaks top 8 at a major or beats a top player using him. That's just how it goes.
PL beat Pig with Raiden at MLG Anaheim. He also won FF last year with Raiden (though I'd argue that the game has evolved significantly since then). I just don't think Raiden has consistent representation among the absolute elite players, no disrespect to any Raiden player.

Back to the topic, I've seen BWizz's Raiden in casuals on the Kombat Houston stream after MLG Dallas, and it's ridiculously good. It's really one of the most fun I've had watching this game. All kinds of set-ups, good reads, etc... It was probably the most complete Raiden play I've seen. However, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this, the fact is, BWizz hasn't been placing high with Raiden (though he doesn't travel as much as most), so it's not THAT surprising to hear people still talk about Raiden's potential. The fact is, PL is still the one who's done the most with him, and I don't think Raiden was ever his full time main.

I just think Raiden's best bet to doing well in tournaments again is to be picked up by one of the consistent top 8 placers. Sometimes, it doesn't boil down to who knows the most tech with a character. For instance, Maxter is by far the best Cyrax player, but his Cyrax is actually simple compared to what Krayzie, Han, and even Toni T do with the character with all sorts of ridiculously complex techs and combos. Nevertheless, Maxter has the best footsies, spacing, and overall fundamentals. In other words, he's just a better player than these guys (again, they're all awesome players, but there's nothing wrong with admitting the obvious truth). He also plays most match-ups better than any other Cyrax player, and this counts for more than coming up with new tech.

I never liked the idea of Brady going to Raiden, but LBSH, he's done amazingly well with a character with far more losing match-ups than Raiden. So while I'd understand why BWizz would feel somewhat offended upon hearing what Tom said, it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that someone as good as Brady would be able to play the character differently in specific match-ups, and therefore, show some of the "unexplored" aspects of Raiden's game.

Anyway, I still think PL is probably the most well-equipped player to do well with Raiden (even though his playing style doesn't really suit the character) just based on his history as a player and with the character. I just think it might be difficult for him to put in as much work with Raiden as he should when he's using two other characters as well, and when his true main is and will always be Kung Lao.

Brady whinging again. Maybe if he wasn't telling the raiden community they aren't playing the character right and that he would be the best raiden people may have been a bit nicer to him. Oh well.
There is no whining here. I played him for 3 days in a MU I am grooming him for. It was very frustrating for the first 2 days. I stuck it out, despite the blow ups and ppl telling me to drop it after only 2 days, and things finally began to come together and I am on the right track in the MU I am grooming him for. The point was that it's frustrating learning a new character and this community will always tell you to quit after 24 hours rather then have you stick it out. This is why you dont see several characters represented.

and you can stop with all the " Maybe if he wasn't telling the Raiden community they aren't playing the character right and that he would be the best raiden people may have been a bit nicer to him." bs..

the FACT is that a Sub-Zero player, SOLY playing Sub-Zero on most cases especially recently, is a regular in top 8 at majors from DAY 1! Even now in his most nerfed state, he is still a regular in top 8's. Raiden is a much better character yet Raiden's have failed to do what some trash Sub-Zero player has been doing for almost 2 years. I have only stated the FACTS and the Raidens out there dont like it. Raiden is a much better character then Sub-Zero, if the Raiden player(s) are high level players then why do they fall short 99.9% of the time at BIG majors? Are they bad? NO! Is Raiden bad? NO!.. What is the answer then? aaahhhh.. maybe they are missing something? Maybe there arent any complete Raidens yet? Maybe there are aspects of him that are unexplored? If the Raiden community doesnt like hearing that some aspects are unexplored and Raiden IS in fact totally farmed out, then there are only 2 other possible reasons that they fall short. 1. Raiden sucks, or 2. They suck..

AGAIN.. THERE ARE ONLY 3 POSSIBLE REASONS FOR RAIDENS FALLING SHORT 99.999999999999% OF THE TIME

1. RAIDEN SUCKS

2. THEY SUCK AS PLAYERS

3. HE IS UNEXPLORED IN SOME AREAS

They get offend when I say he is unexplored. If they are yelling that he is totally farmed out, then rather then get mad at me, they should be me at themselves for saying that either they suck or their character is bad and they are too stupid to see it so they say he is good.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
good statement , Tom .... Raiden is , at least, a bit underexplored, underestimated, and underrated ..... at this point, 2 years almost since the game came out , sure that people know something like 95% to 98% of all characters, but there always room for a few new techniques and tricks to find out ..... Raiden falls in this category, that's for sure.

I put Raiden in the top 10 roster list, no matter what, the character himself has potential to be the next big thing in this game.

Flagg

Noob
I think Raiden is vastly unexplored because only B W1zz is really using him 100% at tournies.

That's not a negative and Im sure the guy knows his character inside out, but with so few mains out there, you have to wonder what kind of tech for him there is out there waiting to be discovered. I mean "ghost tech" seems to be the flavour of the week so far, with stuff already cropping up for Kabal, Kenshi, Jade, Skarlet and Reptile.

That said, Phosferrax and fr stack have pretty good Raidens now....both play him different. Phos tends to lame out and wait for you to commit, where as Stack goes all in. I kinda think Raiden is versatile in the sense that he can be played in a variety of ways, not as just a teleporting tank as most think.

Obs_SmSwag

PL beat Pig with Raiden at MLG Anaheim. He also won FF last year with Raiden (though I'd argue that the game has evolved significantly since then). I just don't think Raiden has consistent representation among the absolute elite players, no disrespect to any Raiden player.

Back to the topic, I've seen BWizz's Raiden in casuals on the Kombat Houston stream after MLG Dallas, and it's ridiculously good. It's really one of the most fun I've had watching this game. All kinds of set-ups, good reads, etc... It was probably the most complete Raiden play I've seen. However, and I don't mean to offend anyone with this, the fact is, BWizz hasn't been placing high with Raiden (though he doesn't travel as much as most), so it's not THAT surprising to hear people still talk about Raiden's potential. The fact is, PL is still the one who's done the most with him, and I don't think Raiden was ever his full time main.

I just think Raiden's best bet to doing well in tournaments again is to be picked up by one of the consistent top 8 placers. Sometimes, it doesn't boil down to who knows the most tech with a character. For instance, Maxter is by far the best Cyrax player, but his Cyrax is actually simple compared to what Krayzie, Han, and even Toni T do with the character with all sorts of ridiculously complex techs and combos. Nevertheless, Maxter has the best footsies, spacing, and overall fundamentals. In other words, he's just a better player than these guys (again, they're all awesome players, but there's nothing wrong with admitting the obvious truth). He also plays most match-ups better than any other Cyrax player, and this counts for more than coming up with new tech.

I never liked the idea of Brady going to Raiden, but LBSH, he's done amazingly well with a character with far more losing match-ups than Raiden. So while I'd understand why BWizz would feel somewhat offended upon hearing what Tom said, it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that someone as good as Brady would be able to play the character differently in specific match-ups, and therefore, show some of the "unexplored" aspects of Raiden's game.

Anyway, I still think PL is probably the most well-equipped player to do well with Raiden (even though his playing style doesn't really suit the character) just based on his history as a player and with the character. I just think it might be difficult for him to put in as much work with Raiden as he should when he's using two other characters as well, and when his true main is and will always be Kung Lao.
Didn't read, nothing I said could have sparked 3 paragraphs of words lol.

Obs_SmSwag

Only the first two lines were directed at you. The rest was a general reply to the thread, just didn't feel like making a separate post.
Lol, all good. I'm free to math anyway... 3 paragraphs lmao. I read it, you're right, i'll shut up.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I'm not going to make any absolute statements. I think everything he can do is all right there in the frame data. It's up to us to make the connections. I think most of those connections have been made. I've been maining him for a year and that's just how I feel. If you find something groundbreaking that I'm too stupid to figure out, then I'll personally thank you in a thread made specifically for you. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

NariTuba

disMember
Raiden, like the allot of the other characters, Smoke, Sonya, Cage, Skarlet, Kitana etc are getting left behind the top 3, but that does not take away from them as characters.
I noticed you dont mention Cyrax... where do you think he stands?

raiden isnt underexplored, there is nothing to find with him in terms of tech, no human i have seen so far has been capable of playing him entirely properly and reacting near perfectly in every situation.... he takes an extreme amount of discipline, an extremely accurate analysis of the opponent, and near mistake free timing and reactions otherwise his whole gameplan is fucked.... to play him properly and win and react right and succeed is a task and im not sure its even possible for any1 to do.... why put your chips in with a character who if you screw up your whole gameplan is screwed and you are wokring uphill if that happens...when you can play sonya or lao or kabal or kenshi or freddy or cyrax.... hes like a street fighter character in mk

to be honest i see a lot of mistakes and bad habits out of raiden players, even really good ones and there is simply no room for error....

either that or you have to abuse randomness with him and make crazy reads and hope to win and use his tools to put fear into your opponents

I'm certain top level raidens have though everything through on paper, how raiden has a counter to everything and for the most part there is a systematic strategy to every matchup... but paper and practice are 2 different things.

B W1zZ

Noob
Alright since I actually have some time now (finally some damn free time), I'll go ahead and address some of the comments in this thread.

Its hard out there for raiden
with interuptible strings and punishable tele and extele
It definitely comes down to the player because winning with him is hard
especially when somebody knows how to fight raiden.
Complete lameness will get the job done with raiden in a lot of his mus
I think he's been explored but has to be played differently idk
Good luck to anybody using raiden in tourny against high lvl lao,sonya,kabal etc it won't be easy.
I think with raiden you need at least one more character.
I don't think its possible to go all raiden anymore
But maybe somebody will prove me wrong
It's possible but extremely difficult. In all honesty I would probably be placing a lot better at tournaments if I used a character with braindead, safe, abuseable shit as a main or even an alt, but from the beginning I decided to push Raiden to his limits, regardless of other characters being easier. Anyways we've played before so you know whats up...the main people downplaying me are the ones that haven't really played me much or judge my skill based on a time I wasn't well schooled in a matchup.

I agree. People only know what they see, so I understand why people think he's unexplored. This idea alone pisses me off because I know what I know, and I know what I can do...on top of the countless hours I've spent developing my own strategies and tech.

I just don't think Raiden has consistent representation among the absolute elite players, no disrespect to any Raiden player.
The absolute elite players are the ones using the best and/or easiest characters to win with, just sayin.

The fact is, PL is still the one who's done the most with him, and I don't think Raiden was ever his full time main.
I guess me placing top 8 at a major using only Raiden doesn't count right? People seem to forget that. At anaheim pig made a bad choice of character against his Raiden and Frosty Faustings was hardly a stacked tournament.

I have my doubts of seeing anything new or or ground breaking. He's still in the beginning phases of figuring out how the character really works.

There is no whining here. I played him for 3 days in a MU I am grooming him for. It was very frustrating for the first 2 days. I stuck it out, despite the blow ups and ppl telling me to drop it after only 2 days, and things finally began to come together and I am on the right track in the MU I am grooming him for. The point was that it's frustrating learning a new character and this community will always tell you to quit after 24 hours rather then have you stick it out. This is why you dont see several characters represented.

and you can stop with all the " Maybe if he wasn't telling the Raiden community they aren't playing the character right and that he would be the best raiden people may have been a bit nicer to him." bs..

the FACT is that a Sub-Zero player, SOLY playing Sub-Zero on most cases especially recently, is a regular in top 8 at majors from DAY 1! Even now in his most nerfed state, he is still a regular in top 8's. Raiden is a much better character yet Raiden's have failed to do what some trash Sub-Zero player has been doing for almost 2 years. I have only stated the FACTS and the Raidens out there dont like it. Raiden is a much better character then Sub-Zero, if the Raiden player(s) are high level players then why do they fall short 99.9% of the time at BIG majors? Are they bad? NO! Is Raiden bad? NO!.. What is the answer then? aaahhhh.. maybe they are missing something? Maybe there arent any complete Raidens yet? Maybe there are aspects of him that are unexplored? If the Raiden community doesnt like hearing that some aspects are unexplored and Raiden IS in fact totally farmed out, then there are only 2 other possible reasons that they fall short. 1. Raiden sucks, or 2. They suck..

AGAIN.. THERE ARE ONLY 3 POSSIBLE REASONS FOR RAIDENS FALLING SHORT 99.999999999999% OF THE TIME

1. RAIDEN SUCKS

2. THEY SUCK AS PLAYERS

3. HE IS UNEXPLORED IN SOME AREAS

They get offend when I say he is unexplored. If they are yelling that he is totally farmed out, then rather then get mad at me, they should be me at themselves for saying that either they suck or their character is bad and they are too stupid to see it so they say he is good.
Man gtfo with the whole "I did good with Sub Zero so I'm a better player than any Raiden" nonsense. Sub Zero has more bullshit against a lot of the cast, mainly rushdown characters than Raiden does (which you see a lot of in tournament). Sub's defensive option is an ice clone which is less likely to get blown up than Raiden's defensive option, his teleport, which puts him right next to the opponent. If you don't calculate your teleports correctly you're fucked, sub can just hide behind his clone and use it as bait. I know by now you've discovered you can't exactly turtle beach all the time like you thought you could with Raiden...yet people want to talk like I don't play defensively enough. You have to have the right balance between the two.

You talking about Raiden's falling short at the big majors is more or less you talking about me, so I'll address a few of your points.

For one, several of the majors I went to last year I didn't exactly prepare properly for, on top of not being well schooled in particular matchups. If anything the past year I've pushed past several plateaus, learned various matchups, changed my entire mindset going into tournaments, and identified and corrected my mistakes, it's been a learning experience.

At Dallas who did I lose to? I lost to Scar and Maxter...so I guess that means I'm a garbage player right? Didn't Scar take out CDJR? Maxter needs no explanation. Just about everyone I played in casuals at Dallas (including players considered to be better than me by popular opinion), I went EVEN OR BETTER with. I honestly think this whole mentality of a player is only worth what he is done in tournament is complete and utter bullshit. Playing casuals and playing at a major are two completely different things, and in a sense you have to have good matchup experience and/or the right mentality to do as well in a tournament setting as you do in casuals. But seeing as you are someone who has been doing the tournament thing for the past what? 15 years or whatever? I can see why you think they are the end all be all of someones skill. In the end tournament placings just turn into one giant circle jerk and don't always reflect skill.

Raiden doesn't suck, he is good. However, he is only good when the player knows the matchup, makes little to no mistakes, and knows exactly what he is doing. That covers your #1 and #2.

As for #3 I will agree that he may not be completely fleshed out MATCHUP wise, but I will say that I have him more fleshed out than anyone else and it's going to take a long time for someone with no Raiden experience to reach my level of understanding. Not being cocky just telling it how it is.

I personally don't have a lot of Skarlet experience which is why I played like shit against Scar, and the same could be said about the Raiden Kitana matchup since that matchup has to be played completely differently than any other matchup...so it makes sense why PL Raiden looks good, it was only designed for a few matchups NOT the entire cast.

Anyways I will say my downfalls were I sucked in certain matchups, and the exploration aspect was left to me because who else is there? I also didn't have the right mindset at tournaments so my mentality alone needed adjustment since that's probably the most important aspect of playing Raiden (note the past tense keywords). Also seeing as I've always had to work for my wins and not rely on bullshit, I'd say I'm just as skilled as most of these top 8 placers who have a cakewalk with their characters.

he takes an extreme amount of discipline, an extremely accurate analysis of the opponent, and near mistake free timing and reactions otherwise his whole gameplan is fucked.... to play him properly and win and react right and succeed is a task and im not sure its even possible for any1 to do
At least someone knows what's up. I'm capable of playing him in this fashion but I have to be on that other level in order to do so.

To end this I'll say that I have no idea what my next major will be. I honestly haven't been playing MK much at all, I've been focused mostly on work. I have more important shit to worry about right now than traveling to play a video game. If someone else can top 8 with only Raiden, than more power to you.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
For one, several of the majors I went to last year I didn't exactly prepare properly for, on top of not being well schooled in particular matchups. If anything the past year I've pushed past several plateaus, learned various matchups, changed my entire mindset going into tournaments, and identified and corrected my mistakes, it's been a learning experience.

At Dallas who did I lose to? I lost to Scar and Maxter...so I guess that means I'm a garbage player right? Didn't Scar take out CDJR? Maxter needs no explanation. Just about everyone I played in casuals at Dallas (including players considered to be better than me by popular opinion), I went EVEN OR BETTER with. I honestly think this whole mentality of a player is only worth what he is done in tournament is complete and utter bullshit. Playing casuals and playing at a major are two completely different things, and in a sense you have to have good matchup experience and/or the right mentality to do as well in a tournament setting as you do in casuals. But seeing as you are someone who has been doing the tournament thing for the past what? 15 years or whatever? I can see why you think they are the end all be all of someones skill. In the end tournament placings just turn into one giant circle jerk and don't always reflect skill.
Wizz, I respect ya a lot as a player, so that's why I gotta keep it completely real. Saying you lost the tournament matches you have in the past year because 'I didn't know the matchup' is a completely disingenuous way of ignoring flaws in your own game, and it needs to stop because frankly, it's horseshit.

You can't look at any match you have and say that if you knew the matchup you would have won completely and unequivocally. That ignores the bad calls you made as a player and the extreme flaws in your gameplan. You're only stinting your growth as a player if you truly think matchups and prep time are the only things keeping you from winning tournaments.

And you know why people say tournaments are the only measuring stick? Because it is; it's much harder to face someone when you have the pressure of being knocked out of a tournament, in a 2/3 matchup against someone you haven't played before and have to figure them out in less than 4 games then it is to play them continuously with no stakes for hours. That's not to say that it isn't impressive that you can keep up with good players in casuals, but if you can't do it when all the stakes are on the line, who's ultimately proven himself to be the better player?

Think about what you are saying: despite having the best Shang to ever play the game right here in our state, you still couldn't get it done against WoundCowboy? Despite having almost a whole year since the last time he beat you to prep on the matchup you still lost to 16 Bit's Kitana? C'mon man, at some point the excuses gotta stop flowing and you have to look deep into your Raiden gameplan and fix the kinks in the system because they are there, and it's what's holding you back, not matchup knowledge and prep time.

Wizz, I respect ya a lot as a player, so that's why I gotta keep it completely real. Saying you lost the tournament matches you have in the past year because 'I didn't know the matchup' is a completely disingenuous way of ignoring flaws in your own game, and it needs to stop because frankly, it's horseshit.

You can't look at any match you have and say that if you knew the matchup you would have won completely and unequivocally. That ignores the bad calls you made as a player and the extreme flaws in your gameplan. You're only stinting your growth as a player if you truly think matchups and prep time are the only things keeping you from winning tournaments.

And you know why people say tournaments are the only measuring stick? Because it is; it's much harder to face someone when you have the pressure of being knocked out of a tournament, in a 2/3 matchup against someone you haven't played before and have to figure them out in less than 4 games then it is to play them continuously with no stakes for hours. That's not to say that it isn't impressive that you can keep up with good players in casuals, but if you can't do it when all the stakes are on the line, who's ultimately proven himself to be the better player?

Think about what you are saying: despite having the best Shang to ever play the game right here in our state, you still couldn't get it done against WoundCowboy? Despite having almost a whole year since the last time he beat you to prep on the matchup you still lost to 16 Bit's Kitana? C'mon man, at some point the excuses gotta stop flowing and you have to look deep into your Raiden gameplan and fix the kinks in the system because they are there, and it's what's holding you back, not matchup knowledge and prep time.
Not knowing a matchup sounds like a PL excuse

Its the players fault, making bad reads, and choking

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
It's not even like that. Against Scar you truly looked lost, and that's why I said nothing about it. But those other ones? C'mon, man.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

This is a really good honest post

BTW Im excited to see if you use raiden at SCR cause I really dig how you use him

B W1zZ I think the main thing people want to succeed is Raiden succeed. If I had made one top 8 in 2011 w kenshi but PL came in w kenshi and had greater success then i have to ask myself what did he do that I didnt. I dont know if you have tourney nerves, or mu issues or what but you're fully capable of making top 8 but you have to be real with yourself and fix the issues. When i have an issue and i have a tourney come up i make it a my daily duty as i do breathing. But im always realistic