What's new

Question Do you really think Raiden is unexplored?

Do you think Raiden is unexplored?

• Yes, I've barely touched the character let alone experimented or have any real matchup experience.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • No.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 37 31.6%

• Total voters

B W1zZ

Noob

Let's be serious here...

Lately I'm noticing this trend of people claiming that Raiden is unexplored.

It's not my fault people choose not to play the character, however this idea that Raiden is unexplored is a joke in my opinion. I've played him since release, I know just about every matchup, every tech, every strategy, every setup...yet people still think he's unexplored.

The notion that Raiden is unexplored is a direct insult to all Raiden players, especially myself.

If you really think the character is unexplored I challenge you to go into the lab and find something that I don't already know about, including matchup specific strategies.

Granted I don't share every little detail about my findings or what I know with the community, I find it highly unlikely anyone is going to find any kind of ground breaking strategy in any matchup or in general that I don't already know about.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I think Raiden has been fully explored in the tech department. He just lacks enough high level representatives. The character plays very differently from other characters, and relies a shit ton on his teleport, so I doubt anyone is going to succeed with just a pocket or secondary Raiden for a few MUs. He needs more top players to actually main him.

Reactions: SLy

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
The reason people say he is unexplored is because people rate him pretty high on the tier list but he is incredibly underrepresented and doesn't get enough high level insight. I mean other than you bwizz I can't think of many dedicated raidens except maybe chaosphere?

Ya and Tom Brady is the only player capable of showing Raidens, true potential. JIP reverse Bobblay bitch! #mindgamez

Kappa

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The only player I know about that puts time into Raiden and attends tournaments is B W1zZ. I do think it's possible there are a couple of things that could be found, but it's not his fault there isn't a massive Raiden community to help him out.

I remember picking up Raiden for like 3 days and playing in the online MLG tournament Pig Of The Hut bodied me and I never touched him again lol. He simply doesn't fit my style.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I think Raiden has been fully explored in the tech department. He just lacks enough high level representatives. The character plays very differently from other characters, and relies a shit ton on his teleport, so I doubt anyone is going to succeed with just a pocket or secondary Raiden for a few MUs. He needs more top players to actually main him.
This.

But even then the character is meh.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Do we need two threads for this? Did I miss something?

I don't think the character is fully explored. Lbsh, most of the characters aren't. It seems like every couple weeks there's some new Reo or Doctrine Dark video showing some new Kabal tech or combo and every time I ask myself how on Earth this character has more. Surely if Kabal isn't tapped out yet then Raiden hasn't been completely fleshed out. Raiden's probably the most under played character on a competitive level. Even most of the fish characters have more dedicated players than Raiden does. It's almost ridiculous to say that the character doesn't have potential that isn't being used yet.

B Wizz, you know I love you and you're my Raiden mentor, but you haven't figured out everything there is to know about the character. And that's not an insult or blow to you, it's just unreasonable to expect one person - working mostly by himself, because god knows there aren't enough other Raiden players exploring him with you - to know everything there is know and discover everything there is to discover about a character.

I do see what you're annoyed about though. I don't see how it can be taken as anything other than an insult when Tom Brady says he's the only one who can play the character right and it seems like every week someone posts the new corner combo they discovered that's actually the BnB corner combo that you've probably been using for over a year or makes a thread about a ghetto reset calling it new tech even though there's already two thread about it on the the front page of the Raiden forum. Clearly a lot of people haven't played or seen a competent Raiden. But you can't really blame them. It's been a awhile since you've placed really well in a tournament, and who else is there? I'm not at that level yet. How many other Raiden mains can you name? I've learned a lot from Chaosphere's posts here, but he doesn't post much lately and he isn't traveling a lot or placing at tournaments. Blake? He didn't even use Raiden at the last tournament he went to. Is PL's pocket Raiden going to do it? I doubt it.
People don't have much to go on, and that's not their fault.
It's up to you and me to grow the Raiden community and get results at tournaments if we want people to respect the character.

coolwhip

Noob
I don't think the character is unexplored in the sense that there's way more tech to be discovered with him (though I'm sure Raiden mains will still come up with new stuff). I just think he's under-represented in tournaments, which is different.

Granted I don't share every little detail about my findings or what I know with the community, I find it highly unlikely anyone is going to find any kind of ground breaking strategy in any matchup or in general that I don't already know about.
Not saying you have to, but maybe if you shared more little details, people would realize he's more deep of a character than he is when he's just in your pocket.

The generic stuff people can figure out on their own easily. it's the little detail stuff that people tend ot miss.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
This is where it all comes from...

how many raidens are there in tourneys compared to kabals, kitanas, cyraxs, etc. There's like 3 raiden players. lol
PL has had the most success w him in tourney placing
1st at ff last year
anaheim 3rd
console combats

tourney results really do matter

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
PL has had the most success w him in tourney placing
1st at ff last year
anaheim 3rd
console combats

tourney results really do matter
That's what I'm saying, that's where the he's "unexplored" comes from. There aren't enough Raiden players, so when the few that do don't place as high as they want... everyone is like "where's raiden" ?

If anyone gets credit for exploring Raiden, it would be Bw1zz most likely. I believe Raiden is very much explored, but I'm not sure if his skill cap has been fully reached yet at a high level.