What's new

Question Do you really think Raiden is unexplored?

Do you think Raiden is unexplored?

• Yes, I've barely touched the character let alone experimented or have any real matchup experience.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • No.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 37 31.6%

• Total voters

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
There's no such thing as an option select for the teleport. If you're talking cage's f3/b3 stuff, that argument has been dissolved like 100 times.
Well technically its not an option select but it'd work in the same fashion, with a character like KL for example. Say you finish the 1121 string, 0 on block and go for a 2, if Raiden teleports the 2, fine, cause you'll have recovered and can throw out another 21 after the teleport.

There are ways to make the teleport a lose lose scenario for Raiden. Bird Lao makes the teleport a lose lose option.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Well technically its not an option select but it'd work in the same fashion, with a character like KL for example. Say you finish the 1121 string, 0 on block and go for a 2, if Raiden teleports the 2, fine, cause you'll have recovered and can throw out another 21 after the teleport.

There are ways to make the teleport a lose lose scenario for Raiden. Bird Lao makes the teleport a lose lose option.
Sounds like you're making a read in that scenario. Raiden can backdash out of the way and go for a whiff punish, ex-shocker, uppercut, d1, d3, or even d4 under that. Raiden does have disadvantage matchups and KL is one of them.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Sounds like you're making a read in that scenario. Raiden can backdash out of the way and go for a whiff punish, ex-shocker, uppercut, d1, d3, or even d4 under that. Raiden does have disadvantage matchups and KL is one of them.
Doubt you're gonna be backdashing a 7f 2 when you're both neutral.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Doubt you're gonna be backdashing a 7f 2 when you're both neutral.
2 has a short range. You might be underestimating Raiden's backdash. The key is buffering it before block recovery is over. I'm pretty sure it's possible and even if it's not, d3 into backdash will definitely get me far enough away. d3 into backdash will get you out of range of most normals/strings.

coolwhip

Noob
dude mileena's really bad though and only really has the potential to be worse. raiden at least has the potential to be good. there's also different styles of raiden that have had varying amounts of success. You cant seriously tell me that mileena woulnt be a few spots higher with 5% more damage on all of her combos
Except damage is not the issue with Raiden. If you find more damaging and practical combos, good on you (though you're speaking like you're Check or Tony-T, no offense), but that would hardly make Raiden's pokes better, normals faster, or his strings any less interruptible. I'm not being a dick, but you're kinda complaining about a somewhat irrelevant topic (not that damage is irrelevant, but rather, that it's not the issue here). Again, it would be great if more damaging combos can be found, but I don't think that's what players are referring to when talking about whether or not Raiden is unexplored.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
2 has a short range. You might be underestimating Raiden's backdash. The key is buffering it before block recovery is over. I'm pretty sure it's possible and even if it's not, d3 into backdash will definitely get me far enough away. d3 into backdash will get you out of range of most normals/strings.
2 has massive range man. On top of that theres also an invisible hitbox on it that reaches a little further than he physically connects.

I like to play a little raiden as well and I DO think raiden is really good in some matchups. you cant backdash kung laos standing 2 though it has pretty good range actually.

edit:
lol foxy beat me to it

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
2 has massive range man. On top of that theres also an invisible hitbox on it that reaches a little further than he physically connects.
Haha yeah when I say short range, I'm kind of saying that out of Raiden's perspective. When I think of long range I think of raiden's b3, kitana's f2, etc. Either way, why wouldn't I d3 into backdash or pressure right there against KL? I promise you d3 into back dash will put me out of range of KL's 2. Obviously if you go for a 2, even if my d3 hits, it'll beat almost anything I want to do so I'd probably want to back dash. But if you block after that I get pressure. Sounds like normal meta game to me. Is there something I'm missing? I d3 backdash out of KL pressure all the time and while they are whiffing 21 or 24 I get b3 full combos.

Side note: if you 21 when I teleport, I am at advantage by around 6-10 frames depending on what frame I teleport. If you just 2 when I teleport, I'm at slight disadvantage, but can still block. Tele duration is 29. KL's 2 duration is 29, and 21 duration is 43.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I like to play a little raiden as well and I DO think raiden is really good in some matchups. you cant backdash kung laos standing 2 though it has pretty good range actually.

edit:
lol foxy beat me to it
You can backdash it. Not in every scenario. After a d3 you can though. You buffer the back dash during your d3. His back dash is really really really good.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
If tele and 21 is done to the frame then Raiden is at +14, but this is all getting into reads now so it doesn't mean anything.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Haha yeah when I say short range, I'm kind of saying that out of Raiden's perspective. When I think of long range I think of raiden's b3, kitana's f2, etc. Either way, why wouldn't I d3 into backdash or pressure right there against KL? I promise you d3 into back dash will put me out of range of KL's 2. Obviously if you go for a 2, even if my d3 hits, it'll beat almost anything I want to do so I'd probably want to back dash. But if you block after that I get pressure. Sounds like normal meta game to me. Is there something I'm missing? I d3 backdash out of KL pressure all the time and while they are whiffing 21 or 24 I get b3 full combos.

Side note: if you 21 when I teleport, I am at advantage by around 6-10 frames depending on what frame I teleport. If you just 2 when I teleport, I'm at slight disadvantage, but can still block. Tele duration is 29. KL's 2 duration is 29, and 21 duration is 43.
Yeah I see what you're saying, and we can just keep going round in circles, cause once you'd start d3ing i could just go straight back into bird lao ambiguity to nullify the teleport anyway.

Ultimately though the risk reward would be in Laos favour.
This game comes down to risk reward.

Raiden gets so little for guessing right. There's nothing to be found with him that can change his meta-game into something phenominal, other than having a mind reading player behind him, because on paper the teleport is godlike.

4RH vs the teleport is always a fun game to play though, Raiden can teleport 4(here)RH, but again, the risk reward isnt in his favour.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
If tele and 21 is done to the frame then Raiden is at +14, but this is all getting into reads now so it doesn't mean anything.
Not necessarily. Sometimes as Raiden you just go for tele during pressure. Sometimes as kl you just go for 21 during pressure. These two things happening at the same time does occur frequently.

You can backdash it. Not in every scenario. After a d3 you can though. You buffer the back dash during your d3. His back dash is really really really good.
if youre doing a d3 into a backdash youre probably dashing out of standing 2 with d3 on hit, youre not hitconfirming it if you do an immediate backdash after d3.

if youre going to do a d3 youre going to beat the standing 2 anyway.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
if youre doing a d3 into a backdash youre probably dashing out of standing 2 with d3 on hit, youre not hitconfirming it if you do an immediate backdash after d3.

if youre going to do a d3 youre going to beat the standing 2 anyway.
Raidens d3 only gives +1 on hit so I can't really continue pressure against a speedy kung lao. Best option is to back dash in that scenario. But yeah if d3 gets blocked he can hit me. But who has the speed to hit confirm a d3? By the time you react you've probably lost your advantage. A lot of the poking game is reads and abusing quick/safe strings.

These are the reasons KL has an advantage in the matchup.

This is how good Raiden is. I have somewhat recently run like an hour set with PL's Lao, Raiden, and Kabal. I was Kenshi. If I were to ever face him in tournament I would rather fight his Kung Lao first. If not then his Kabal. Raiden would be the last character of his I would want to face.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yeah I see what you're saying, and we can just keep going round in circles, cause once you'd start d3ing i could just go straight back into bird lao ambiguity to nullify the teleport anyway.

Ultimately though the risk reward would be in Laos favour.
This game comes down to risk reward.

Raiden gets so little for guessing right. There's nothing to be found with him that can change his meta-game into something phenominal, other than having a mind reading player behind him, because on paper the teleport is godlike.

4RH vs the teleport is always a fun game to play though, Raiden can teleport 4(here)RH, but again, the risk reward isnt in his favour.
Yeah I agree with you for the most part. But he doesn't just get a little, imo. He gets 33% to 37% meterless most of the time. But the most important thing is they now don't know when to start their offense out of fear of being blown up. Then Raiden can start jumping and shit.

Raiden has plenty of tools he can use without teleporting like crazy. It's just that if you know how to get away with teleporting during and against pressure, it allows him to set up big damage combos all over the place. But without teleport, he still has ridiculous whiff punishing with his back dash and a decent oki setup game.

We could definitely go in circles all day. But naked tele isn't the only thing Raiden has. That was my main point.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
This is how good Raiden is. I have somewhat recently run like an hour set with PL's Lao, Raiden, and Kabal. I was Kenshi. If I were to ever face him in tournament I would rather fight his Kung Lao first. If not then his Kabal. Raiden would be the last character of his I would want to face.
Don't forget our matches at fight night ;)

coolwhip

Noob
Raiden-Kenshi is one of the coolest match-ups in the game. Pig Of The Hut said he was going to run some casuals with PL at Final Round and record them. Don't know what happened to that, though Pig looked like he had his hands full with running the stream and everything so he might not have gotten around to doing it.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Raiden-Kenshi is one of the coolest match-ups in the game. Pig Of The Hut said he was going to run some casuals with PL at Final Round and record them. Don't know what happened to that, though Pig looked like he had his hands full with running the stream and everything so he might not have gotten around to doing it.
Yeah it's fun for sure. I love having even matchups against some of the higher tiered characters. That matchup is a wait and bait for both characters haha. And both characters have some dirty shit against each other.

Raidens d3 only gives +1 on hit so I can't really continue pressure against a speedy kung lao. Best option is to back dash in that scenario. But yeah if d3 gets blocked he can hit me. But who has the speed to hit confirm a d3? By the time you react you've probably lost your advantage. A lot of the poking game is reads and abusing quick/safe strings.

These are the reasons KL has an advantage in the matchup.
+1 is nothing if you have to hitconfirm it off of a d3 youre right about that. his normals cant pressure like kung lao so the way I like to play raiden is get the life lead and build meter with vicinity blast and lightning at almost fullscreen, whiffing vicinity blasts at that range isnt bad at all if they happenend to throw a projectile at you because you can still teleport that on reaction. every time I see someone whiff a move I will teleport behind them to start offense.

the very first thing people will try to do is bait your teleport and try to punish it, but most of the times its them beating you out of your teleport follow up and not the teleport itself. so if you teleport to the other side and youre at disadvantage you can still use ex shocker to armor out of their moves for a combo. ex teleport is a safer option and works similar against bad teleportpunish attempts.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
+1 is nothing if you have to hitconfirm it off of a d3 youre right about that. his normals cant pressure like kung lao so the way I like to play raiden is get the life lead and build meter with vicinity blast and lightning at almost fullscreen, whiffing vicinity blasts at that range isnt bad at all if they happenend to throw a projectile at you because you can still teleport that on reaction. every time I see someone whiff a move I will teleport behind them to start offense.

the very first thing people will try to do is bait your teleport and try to punish it, but most of the times its them beating you out of your teleport follow up and not the teleport itself. so if you teleport to the other side and youre at disadvantage you can still use ex shocker to armor out of their moves for a combo. ex teleport is a safer option and works similar against bad teleportpunish attempts.
Agreed. Works even better against good teleport punish attempts too haha. Unfortunately if they are bad at punishing regular tele the ex-tele can get stuffed by their late reactions =( but ex-tele into cross up usually takes care of that issue lol.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Yes honesty I had zero time to do anything I wanted or needed to do like prepare/sleep ...because I took care of the whole running the tourney thing

Sucks but it won't happen again