What's new

Question Do you really think Raiden is unexplored?

Do you think Raiden is unexplored?

• Yes, I've barely touched the character let alone experimented or have any real matchup experience.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • No.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 37 31.6%

• Total voters
theoretically raiden is good, practically im not sure... hes severely underrepresented and i haven't seen someone display an excellent reading, reaction, and footsie game to actually show some of the potential of the character... that being said hes still not quite top 10 when played at that level.

Except damage is not the issue with Raiden. If you find more damaging and practical combos, good on you (though you're speaking like you're Check or Tony-T, no offense), but that would hardly make Raiden's pokes better, normals faster, or his strings any less interruptible. I'm not being a dick, but you're kinda complaining about a somewhat irrelevant topic (not that damage is irrelevant, but rather, that it's not the issue here). Again, it would be great if more damaging combos can be found, but I don't think that's what players are referring to when talking about whether or not Raiden is unexplored.
I was just using that as an example of things that can be discovered. I dont think the way we play any character is complete yet.

D

Deleted member 9158

I think Raiden has been fully explored in the tech department. He just lacks enough high level representatives. The character plays very differently from other characters, and relies a shit ton on his teleport, so I doubt anyone is going to succeed with just a pocket or secondary Raiden for a few MUs. He needs more top players to actually main him.
This. His teleport if used properly can really throw people off like crazy. I use him for people who zone heavily. He's also crazy good at whiff punishing. I think if someone showed up to tourneys with him consistently, people would pay attention

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Except damage is not the issue with Raiden. If you find more damaging and practical combos, good on you (though you're speaking like you're Check or Tony-T, no offense), but that would hardly make Raiden's pokes better, normals faster, or his strings any less interruptible. I'm not being a dick, but you're kinda complaining about a somewhat irrelevant topic (not that damage is irrelevant, but rather, that it's not the issue here). Again, it would be great if more damaging combos can be found, but I don't think that's what players are referring to when talking about whether or not Raiden is unexplored.
His pokes are great. You say "slow" and interruptable strings as if that matters. It does not. Raiden plays his game from sweep distance or right outside of it.

Look at kitana. Her strings are "slow" 11 frames, 12, frames, and 18 frames? Raiden is 9, 12, and 15 frames for his regular normals. And b3 reaches like half screen lol

As far as interruptable strings goes... for some reason people think that gives Raiden a disadvantage when really it's more of an advantage for him. EVERYONE. Literally EVERYONE tries to armor through b312 and 334 every single time. Thanks for wasting your meter and giving me a combo. :)

coolwhip

Noob
I was just using that as an example of things that can be discovered. I dont think the way we play any character is complete yet.
The problem is anyone who actually innovated the most with a particular character wants to act like said character has been fleshed out for some reverse props. I fully agree with you though.

coolwhip

Noob
His pokes are great. You say "slow" and interruptable strings as if that matters. It does not. Raiden plays his game from sweep distance or right outside of it.

Look at kitana. Her strings are "slow" 11 frames, 12, frames, and 18 frames? Raiden is 9, 12, and 15 frames for his regular normals. And b3 reaches like half screen lol

As far as interruptable strings goes... for some reason people think that gives Raiden a disadvantage when really it's more of an advantage for him. EVERYONE. Literally EVERYONE tries to armor through b312 and 334 every single time. Thanks for wasting your meter and giving me a combo. :)
I see what you mean but the Kitana analogy is kinda flawed since on the whole, she has some of the best normals in the game. Her 21 and f21 are insane.

Raiden's D4 isn't that good IMO, as far as pokes go.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I see what you mean but the Kitana analogy is kinda flawed since on the whole, she has some of the best normals in the game. Her 21 and f21 are insane.

Raiden's D4 isn't that good IMO, as far as pokes go.
Slower startup but normal d4 range and +15 on hit which means you can't armor out of the next attack like a lot of other characters. And d4 tele gives frame advantage for a situation where they don't know whether to hold block or not.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I challenge anyone to a long set. Win or not, if you don't think Raiden is better than you thought he was before we played, then you have full rights to make a thread totally trashing the character and I will come in and slightly agree with you, basically embarrassing myself and giving whoever it is mad props.

This applies to ufgt and evo as well.

coolwhip

Noob
I challenge anyone to a long set. Win or not, if you don't think Raiden is better than you thought he was before we played, then you have full rights to make a thread totally trashing the character and I will come in and slightly agree with you, basically embarrassing myself and giving whoever it is mad props.
I think Raiden is a very good character. I don't think mentioning his limitations (or at least what I perceive to be limitations) means I'm implying he's bad.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I think Raiden is a very good character. I don't think mentioning his limitations (or at least what I perceive to be limitations) means I'm implying he's bad.
Fo sho. Didn't mean for it to sound directed at you. This is out to those who think Raiden sucks. I'm finally getting tired of the Raiden downplaying haha.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

This applies to ufgt and evo as well.
I think he's unexplored ;)

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I haven't read every post in this thread so forgive me if I sound redundant, but No, Raiden is not unexplored. Pretty much anything that can be discovered has been by BW1zz, Chaossphere, GamerBlake, and too many other Raiden players to mention them all, yours truly included. He is also ok represented at tournaments, not as well as other characters like Kabal, Cyrax or Sonya for example, but well enough. Just because somebody hasn't heard about Raiden being represented it doesn't mean he wasn't. B1Wzz, JOP, Justin Wong, GamerBlake, PerfectLegend, TomBrady, and a few others have all played Raiden at tournaments at one point or another, myself included. I went to EVO last year and mained Raiden. I didn't get out of pools, but I was there and represented the Raiden community.

The reason why there haven't been more players using Raiden at tournaments is because he is difficult to win with competitively at high-level, he has too many bad match-ups and you can get better results with other characters with equal or less amount of time and effort spent. We can thank NRS for crippling Raiden for that, in addition to a bunch of players that prefer to complain instead of putting in the time and effort to get better at the game.