What's new

Tech Dirty Venom - The Bane tech discussion

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
And you take 50% of extra damage too once it wears off yeah? That's very uncool, but damn I love 4-5 hit combos for over 50%.

Doomsday needs to be more like Bane...
You have one of the best backdashes in the game, one of the best d.2s, and your level 3 venom can be cancelled into any EX move to take 2 or more seconds off of that timer. All things considered, you have the ability to do all of that on a realistically low 3 second cooldown once you get the final attack out of the way.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
You deal upwards of 40% for 7 seconds, 45% for 6 seconds, and 50% for 6 seconds...
All in exchange for 6 seconds of no damage. Trust me, no one likes it but its there for a reason. Try to enjoy what you have.

I tend to agree with your perspective, and as a result, I consider Bane's trait a resounding positive . . . but when I do feel like complaining, the bigger issue with cooldown is the scale of damage taken, not the scale of damage done.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I tend to agree with your perspective, and as a result, I consider Bane's trait a resounding positive . . . but when I do feel like complaining, the bigger issue with cooldown is the scale of damage taken, not the scale of damage done.
Has to be there. We get 2.5x superman's damage boost on top of armor and projectile invulnerability? Making us take more damage for 6 seconds is the only way to balance it out imo.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
Naw let's keep em' different, I like character variety and I hope you do too. Makes learning the matchups fun!
I mainly mean as far as cancellable combos. I love that I can cancel into a special from almost every combo with Bane; Doomsday has like 3.

I do wish that once you started a move in level x venom, the damage would stay at that level even if it depletes before the hit.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I mainly mean as far as cancellable combos. I love that I can cancel into a special from almost every combo with Bane; Doomsday has like 3.

I do wish that once you started a move in level x venom, the damage would stay at that level even if it depletes before the hit.
We get something like that, namely if you start a move in venom you keep the armor even if venom runs out.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
^Well hey now that's neat!

Not too impressive for 3 bars of meter and level 3 boost, but jd3 b23 cancel b3 f2d backbreaker looks fancy

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Has to be there. We get 2.5x superman's damage boost on top of armor and projectile invulnerability? Making us take more damage for 6 seconds is the only way to balance it out imo.

I totally agree. I'm just spoiled because the other two characters I play are Killer Frost and Black Adam. And regardless, Bane is just insanely fun to play . . . But I want it all :)

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I totally agree. I'm just spoiled because the other two characters I play are Killer Frost and Black Adam. And regardless, Bane is just insanely fun to play . . . But I want it all :)
Black Adam, yes. Killer frost isn't all that great and people tend to overreact to what they cannot fight correctly, but I guess she is ok too.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Black Adam, yes. Killer frost isn't all that great and people tend to overreact to what they cannot fight correctly, but I guess she is ok too.

I personally think she is extremely dangerous in the right hands . . . In the heat of the moment, it is insanely valuable to have a 15 frame, low-hitting, combo-starting, special move that takes up half the screen and is relatively safe on block.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I personally think she is extremely dangerous in the right hands . . . In the heat of the moment, it is insanely valuable to have a 15 frame, low-hitting, combo-starting, special move that takes up half the screen and is relatively safe on block.
I've never had trouble unless she throws daggers from full-screen. Outside of that, she doesn't have much and she's no flash.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I've never had trouble unless she throws daggers from full-screen. Outside of that, she doesn't have much and she's no flash.

I find that a lot of Frost players (even some really good ones) tend to make two primary mistakes:

1) They under-utilize her air-dash, which, IMO, is the secret cornerstone of her mobility.

2) They fall into the trap of trying to squeeze EVERY facet of her game into setting up a 50-50. As a result, a lot of Frost players implement their gameplay in remarkably similar ways, and this unfortunate copycat syndrome tends to make her unnecessarily predictable and easier to defend than she probably should be. Also, their devout loyalty to creating 50-50 situations takes the game down to chance, even in situations where they are at an advantage and would probably benefit from simply employing a more fundamental approach. I feel that certain aspects of her game (block-strings, throw setups, etc) are highly under-appreciated and undervalued . I think as the game progresses, we will see more varied Frost play at higher levels of competition, which will elevate the character to currently unforeseeable heights.

But anyway, enough of me going on and on about Frost on the Bane forum.

Bane rules.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I find that a lot of Frost players (even some really good ones) tend to make two primary mistakes:

1) They under-utilize her air-dash, which, IMO, is the secret cornerstone of her mobility.

2) They fall into the trap of trying to squeeze EVERY facet of her game into setting up a 50-50. As a result, a lot of Frost players implement their gameplay in remarkably similar ways, and this unfortunate copycat syndrome tends to make her unnecessarily predictable and easier to defend than she probably should be. Also, their devout loyalty to creating 50-50 situations takes the game down to chance, even in situations where they are at an advantage and would probably benefit from simply employing a more fundamental approach. I feel that certain aspects of her game (block-strings, throw setups, etc) are highly under-appreciated and undervalued . I think as the game progresses, we will see more varied Frost play at higher levels of competition, which will elevate the character to currently unforeseeable heights.

But anyway, enough of me going on and on about Frost on the Bane forum.

Bane rules.
I'd personally like to see frost be more like Bane. There are no two Bane players who play alike, as it would be. For example, some Banes are like chief713 who can keep pressure with varied specials and are more conservative with their meter usage, some are like BiPolarExxpress who are very heavy on the usage of our main tools of double punch and command grab which makes for a more grappler-esque set, some players are like me who use fast stands and option selects to our advantage and are less meter-saving...

PND_Mustard who is just the bane messiah in every way...

I'd personally like to see frost be more like Bane. There are no two Bane players who play alike, as it would be. For example, some Banes are like chief713 who can keep pressure with varied specials and are more conservative with their meter usage, some are like BiPolarExxpress who are very heavy on the usage of our main tools of double punch and command grab which makes for a more grappler-esque set, some players are like me who use fast stands and option selects to our advantage and are less meter-saving...

PND_Mustard who is just the bane messiah in every way...
Damn, two shoutouts in one day, feel honored haha. Agreed on the killer frost points, honestly it's either slide, f3 slide, or j3, (or is it 2) slide. Has alot of potential if not just slide heavy.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Damn, two shoutouts in one day, feel honored haha. Agreed on the killer frost points, honestly it's either slide, f3 slide, or j3, (or is it 2) slide. Has alot of potential if not just slide heavy.
You have a unique and effective style, so its worth mentioning. It just so happens that the two topics both had to do with grappling and character styles so you came to mind.

Yea trying to expand it a bit more. But shh, you're giving away trade secrets...

One thing came to mind though. Is there a truly invincible wake up we can't eat with timed venom? Minus supermans weird air grab, and flashes MB charge?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Yea trying to expand it a bit more. But shh, you're giving away trade secrets...

One thing came to mind though. Is there a truly invincible wake up we can't eat with timed venom? Minus supermans weird air grab, and flashes MB charge?
We can beat air grab with well-timed charge since it'll hit on the way, and we can't beat cartwheel either.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
Btw, with Batgirl's cartwheel, the most effective ways to beat it on wake up are:
1. Well timed b.1 x armored DP. It does beat it, it just takes timing, but it will beat it. If this is too difficult (or your playing online and the connection isn't being kind to you) then...
2. If they continue to wake up with cartwheel, a backdash right before they wake up into b.23, b.113, or DP will also make them think twice about waking up with cartwheel again.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Btw, with Batgirl's cartwheel, the most effective ways to beat it on wake up are:
1. Well timed b.1 x armored DP. It does beat it, it just takes timing, but it will beat it. If this is too difficult (or your playing online and the connection isn't being kind to you) then...
2. If they continue to wake up with cartwheel, a backdash right before they wake up into b.23, b.113, or DP will also make them think twice about waking up with cartwheel again.
Sound advice, Batgirl's zoning isn't strong enough to keep us away so we can take advantage of that.

masuhdunkillyall

Aht Aht Aht!
Sound advice, Batgirl's zoning isn't strong enough to keep us away so we can take advantage of that.
Agreed, and I feel like the only thing in that match up that is saving her from being completely demolished by Bane is cartwheel. Her teleport is easily baited and punished with b.23, so once you get them reliant on waking up with anything but cartwheel, you can roll. But I guess I should be posting this in the match up thread...

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Agreed, and I feel like the only thing in that match up that is saving her from being completely demolished by Bane is cartwheel. Her teleport is easily baited and punished with b.23, so once you get them reliant on waking up with anything but cartwheel, you can roll. But I guess I should be posting this in the match up thread...
Dirty Venom is for techs and "dirt" in general. Giving us a way around Batgirl's cartwheel that doesn't break the bank? Sounds like dirt to me.