What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
DF2 is a hard knockdown when it hits a jumping or juggled opponent. This can lead into zipline cross-ups and fake cross-ups without having to worry that the opponent will tech-roll out of the corner.

Dope. not trying to be a hater but this isn't new he did this in igau. I did and still do this. thought this was common knowledge amongst the borgs.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Im struggling midscreen guys when they are close up should i do armored f3 or what they are jumping beans online and tbh db2u is a weird input and its not really viable and has a weird hitbox what are yall doing

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
B2 1+3 is plus 5 and b1 will beat any poke afterwards. Haven't tested mb b3 but this is pretty good because i don't remember it being plus in igau. This with trait and TA he could have some crazy pressure in the corner.

Another option to consider as a means to counter jump in, you can use Up Grapple's armor to absorb the hit (as long as they're using a 1 hit jump normal) and get screen positioning again.

It's still something I'm trying to work into my own gameplan, but I mess up the input sometimes when I actually need to use it, DX.

I mainly use D2, or DB2 if I get a hard read to anti-air. I find it even more difficult to use DF2U for anti-airing purposes due to the slow startup.

Alucard's Cybrog has leveled up a ton over the past week. He was hitting some big damage bnb's and integrating TA into neutral as well as cancels. Hope he sticks with the character though

Alucard's Cybrog has leveled up a ton over the past week. He was hitting some big damage bnb's and integrating TA into neutral as well as cancels. Hope he sticks with the character though
Yeah, I was talking to him for a bit at combo breaker. He seems to like the character for now. We'll have to see if it continues.

I just finished watching the video. His zoning was good for for the most part. But his pressure could use some work. And lack of tick throw or throws in general was hurting him. Cyborg needs to incorporate throws to mixup the enemy.

Thinking of picking up Cyborg as a sub, but the idea of needing to learn IAFB is a huge turn off. How integral is IAFB to his game plan now? I remember it literally defined Cyborg during the early days of IGAU.

Anyone else wish straight grapple was on cyborgs normal move list? Shit would be cash
Thinking of picking up Cyborg as a sub, but the idea of needing to learn IAFB is a huge turn off. How integral is IAFB to his game plan now? I remember it literally defined Cyborg during the early days of IGAU.
Depends on the match up. You can get away with using air diagonal fireball for the most part though. Cyborg in this game imo feels more dependent on set ups and neutral game rather than 100% zoning all the time.

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I looked at Cyborg in the lab and was pretty quickly sold on how his strings and specials worked. I definitely have to put in some long lab time with him though, but until then I have some general questions:

- How does Cyborg's neutral work? Do you just generally zone and if you find yourself up close go for his + on block strings into a fast mid like B1?

- How should I end my combos? DB2 midscreen for damage and DD3 in the corner to get a setup? If I want to get a setup, what string should I cancel into DD3?

- What are some good hit confirms to use in the neutral? 12B2 seemed alright to me because you can follow it up with DF2 or DB2 to stay safe / get a combo.

- How should I use DD3 setups? The projectile hits mid so do you use it in the corner to mix with B213 or F3 to get a combo? And if my opponent block the mixup and I'm left fairly + from DD3, what should I use those plus frames for?

- Is trait best for midscreen or the corner? How does it relate to DD3 in terms of usefulness?

- Cyborg's MB projectiles have kind of a weird arc to them, is the idea that you use MB projectiles on a read (or in the corner for combo extension)?

Edit: Ah almost forgot, what does Cyborg use for trip guarding? F2 has the most range but you have to commit to either being safe or getting a combo.

Last edited:

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I looked at Cyborg in the lab and was pretty quickly sold on how his strings and specials worked. I definitely have to put in some long lab time with him though, but until then I have some general questions:

- How does Cyborg's neutral work? Do you just generally zone and if you find yourself up close go for his + on block strings into a fast mid like B1?

- How should I end my combos? DB2 midscreen for damage and DD3 in the corner to get a setup? If I want to get a setup, what string should I cancel into DD3?

- What are some good hit confirms to use in the neutral? 12B2 seemed alright to me because you can follow it up with DF2 or DB2 to stay safe / get a combo.

- How should I use DD3 setups? The projectile hits mid so do you use it in the corner to mix with B213 or F3 to get a combo? And if my opponent block the mixup and I'm left fairly + from DD3, what should I use those plus frames for?

- Is trait best for midscreen or the corner? How does it relate to DD3 in terms of usefulness?

- Cyborg's MB projectiles have kind of a weird arc to them, is the idea that you use MB projectiles on a read (or in the corner for combo extension)?
I think that most of us Cyborg players do things quite differently (which is okay!), so I will answer your questions (not all of them though because I am still figuring things out) based on how I do things and I hope others can do the same...

In general, I'm shooting fireballs, combination of horizontal and downwards. If I correctly read a jump and hit them with MB air straight fireball, I go for dd3 and then air trait. Essentially, when fullscreen, my goal is always to get dd3 followed by trait, so when I can knock them down with fireballs, I then go for that combo.

In terms of dd3 setups, I still go for my Injustice 1 setup (which unfortunately is no longer a hard-to-blockable but whatever): some opener --> background bounce --> dd3 --> j2 b2
First j2 hits, then b2 hits, then immediately after the dd3 hits and pops them up. Since dd3 is mid now, it's no longer a quick low-to-overhead, but I still find that this setup works sometimes. A less tricky version of this is to do background bounce --> dd3 --> b213, where if the b213 hits then the dd3 hits right after and you again get a pop up.

Edit: When I'm in jump-in distance, my go-to is j2 f22 d1xxSD. When I do grapple, if my landing position is ambiguous (i.e., don't know if I will cross them up or not), I go for j2 3. If it hits, it guarantees f22. If it's blocked, I'm +2 (just like f22 on block) and go for d1xxSD.

Edit #2: In a lot of footage of Cyborg gameplay I have seen, people go for cancel pressure (113 cancel, b123 cancel, etc.) These are gimmicks, right? Like none of these are actually plus or jail or anything like that, right? All can be poked/jumped/backdashed out of?

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.

Edit: Ah almost forgot, what does Cyborg use for trip guarding? F2 has the most range but you have to commit to either being safe or getting a combo.
I'm new to him but I think Cyborg has the freedom to play how you want to play. I like to push them to the corner and just control space with projectile to keep them from flitting around too much while it keeps your meter up. You can definitely end midscreen in set-up, he doesn't have many legit set-ups that aren't avoidable by tech roll but eh unlike Cyrax he doesn't mind being fullscreen at all and them rolling just pushes them closer to the corner (where Cyborg goes off)

MB projectile is great for corner combos and just if they jump in at you over projectile you can MB it and make em fuck off

just look at DD3 set-ups as plus frames, do what you have to to make them hold it, then you can hit with 112 which is 6f start up and leaves you +6 and can't be backdashed in the corner lol, then go into B123 or go into a tick throw or something or just loop the 112, set-up trait at some point and get massive plus frames again, i dunno I'm still kinda new to it but you can just kinda go ham at that point lol his blockstrings are epic

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
I'm new to him but I think Cyborg has the freedom to play how you want to play. I like to push them to the corner and just control space with projectile to keep them from flitting around too much while it keeps your meter up. You can definitely end midscreen in set-up, he doesn't have many legit set-ups that aren't avoidable by tech roll but eh unlike Cyrax he doesn't mind being fullscreen at all and them rolling just pushes them closer to the corner (where Cyborg goes off)

MB projectile is great for corner combos and just if they jump in at you over projectile you can MB it and make em fuck off

just look at DD3 set-ups as plus frames, do what you have to to make them hold it, then you can hit with 112 which is 6f start up and leaves you +6 and can't be backdashed in the corner lol, then go into B123 or go into a tick throw or something or just loop the 112, set-up trait at some point and get massive plus frames again, i dunno I'm still kinda new to it but you can just kinda go ham at that point lol his blockstrings are epic
Good stuff, but a couple of things to keep in mind:
-112 has a gap (between 1 and 2) and can be poked, MB b3/f3, etc. I don't like to use this in block pressure, really just to end combos into a long knockdown.
-Cyborg tick throws are not really a thing because as long as the opponent is crouch blocking (as they should be against Cyborg), Techno Tackle will whiff on them.

Good stuff, but a couple of things to keep in mind:
-112 has a gap (between 1 and 2) and can be poked, MB b3/f3, etc. I don't like to use this in block pressure, really just to end combos into a long knockdown.
-Cyborg tick throws are not really a thing because as long as the opponent is crouch blocking (as they should be against Cyborg), Techno Tackle will whiff on them.
I think he meant into regular throw for tick throw setups. Using the frame advantage from TA/blockstrings to knock them down before they can counterpoke

gibster13

A fan of fans
I actually love cybrog, I feel his zoning is more based on getting a feel for your opponent and their patterns and exploiting their movement. It can make them feel like they can't move.

I have an issue with NRS about this one tho

in IGAU cybrog was bottom 2 but he did have good zoning. It seems the same now, strong zoning but not strong enough. He is aot better than he was but it is not really saying much.

All I want for cyborg is better normals. An advancing mid, a better wakeup, exhammer to hit them up higher, for the beloved instant airs to return???? That is my dream, although I know there is about as much chance as Spider-Man being in the game.

When they are in (e.g. Supes, batman or atro) cyborg might as well start spreading those cheeks because he can not do anything

When they are in (e.g. Supes, batman or atro) cyborg might as well start spreading those cheeks because he can not do anything
I do agree with but make sure to use all of the games mechanics in place i.e. push block, delay wake ups to throw off timings (if I see them whiff a string sometimes I'll wake up with 1 or D1), and MB roll when the chance arises to escape the corner of you don't wanna risk grappling.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Lore wise Cyborg can go toe to toe with metahumans, khryptonians and beat deathstroke. In this game, he is helpless up close.

He beat an entire army just himself