What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

Hope you guys are watching Combo Breaker, Sleep is putting in work with Cyborg!
Definitely man, I hope Sleep sticks with the character. He's actually leveled up a lot since last Wednesday when he was playing at Next Level Battle Circuit (local on team sp00ky)

Reactions: Ram

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
So we're both right and wrong. If enemy is on ground and get hit by df2, they can tech (albeit it's pretty late). Against opponents in juggle state, it puts them in hkd.

I went 3-2 today btw. I lost to black canary and catwoman.
Well yeah like i said if you end the midscreen combo in f2 df2 you get a guaranteed TA.
Congrats btw, Catwoman is a pretty hard matchup for Cyborg.

InFlames

dead
Might already be found or discussed. Don't really check TYM anymore.
The gap on 112 was reduced to 8f, meaning 7f normals and 8f reversals will trade. 112 is +6, so you only have 1 frame to jail the next 112 (they can still backdash, but they can't crouch if done right). The opponent can backdash inbetween 112 but Cyborg will still have plus frames depending on different characters.

Last edited:
Well yeah like i said if you end the midscreen combo in f2 df2 you get a guaranteed TA.
Congrats btw, Catwoman is a pretty hard matchup for Cyborg.
Thanks. I'm back and finally settled at home so I can catch up with what's happening on the forums.

I see a lot of people are talking about IAFB, I missed out on asking one of the devs if there's a slight height threshold that Cyborg needs to pass before he can do the fireball. I feel like there has to be one, because I watch my inputs when I practice it and even when they are correct, I only get the jump normal instead of fireball.
But when I slow down a bit to let cyborg gain some air, the fireball will come out.
To further prove my claim, in INJ1, Cyborg's IAFB is considered a mid, so he could essentially hit crouching characters if performed fast enough. In INJ2, Cyborg's IAFB is now a high, which I assume is that way now to allow some counterplay to his (previously) strong zoning.

I can do jDB1 no problem, but jBF1 I can do consistently like 70% of the time on P1 side without input shortcut. I still need to practice on P2 side (I play on stick which is likely the reason).

Roomba trait with IAFB to cut off jumps is so good in neutral when it's pulled off. After playing my pools and grinding games more I decided to try new things.
It just cuts off the ground space and the air space to make it harder to escape. People that are impatient are likely to get hit, which in turn allows Cyborg to combo.

I'm going to start uploading gameplay videos of my Cyborg in effort to improve as well.

@megamonk4 To clarify, IAFB in Injustice 1 is a high. It was a mid at launch, but it was a full screen block infinite if done correctly so they took it out. (which is good, that would have been pretty dumb lol)

I will say there definitely is a larger buffer window. I think there are more recovery frames on IAFB and ground fireball, considering on multiple occasions the correct input shows but I only get jump 1. I'm assuming if you do it too early, the game eats the input and doesn't read the bf1.

Also, defiantly upload some gameplay footage. I have yet to see much gameplay footage from other Cyborgs, hoping to pick up a few things.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Managed to get 8 relatively low (about 2 IAFB) in a row. Aiming for 10, I know I'll get there. Must...keep...practicing!!!
IAFB's don't mean much in this game, especially now that you can shoot downwards from the air, but it's still good to know against some characters that don't have any projectiles of their own.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
insta-air straight fireball doesnt seem particularly better than grounded straight fireball, its 2 frames faster start-up but you waste that in jump frames, and if you trade with projectile you get knocked down. I guess the difference is the MB down shot as opposed to up shot but I think upshot is more useful anyway...

IAFB's don't mean much in this game, especially now that you can shoot downwards from the air, but it's still good to know against some characters that don't have any projectiles of their own.
From full screen the diagonal fireball doesn't hit. Plus having the utility to do both diagonal and IAFB covers a lot more options that just diagonal fireball. I feel it's definitely worth learning, in my opinion.

God Confirm

From full screen the diagonal fireball doesn't hit. Plus having the utility to do both diagonal and IAFB covers a lot more options that just diagonal fireball. I feel it's definitely worth learning, in my opinion.
thats not what im comparing, just pressing BF1 on the ground as opposed to in the air, starts up faster than insta-air BF, and doesn't leave you knocked down if you happen to trade.

thats not what im comparing, just pressing BF1 on the ground as opposed to in the air, starts up faster than insta-air BF, and doesn't leave you knocked down if you happen to trade.
I know this and you make a good point, however IAFB recovers faster than ground NB. If I didn't feel like I needed to learn them, trust me I would love not to.

For example, superman's straight laser knocks down the opponent regardless on hit grounded or in the air. Having a fireball that recovers quicker and can be shot in much faster reps, in my opinion, is better than having a ground fireball that will trade with it. Just playing the matchup with my training partner (we played the matchup a lot in injustice 1, and recently in injustice 2) to me it felt painfully obvious that it would have helped control space better.

The use of IAFB is matchup specific, but considering I want to use this character at the highest level, I want to master them. Just personal preference. I still need to go back and take notes over the match footage and test things, but if I feel like its not needed then I'll be the first to stop practicing them haha.

I agree. IAFB is matchup specific, situational in others/not good to use often. I still experiment with it in games for consistency of using it.

From the games I played so far, IAFB is definitely something to use against blue beetle if you want to come on top for fireball war. It frustrates the hell out of Aquaman and Ivy when they use their OTG zoning and we recover in time to block. IAFB isn't so good against someone like Super Girl unless she is already tied up with shifting her focus to a TA/Drone/Roomba that is about to hit her.

God Confirm

I know this and you make a good point, however IAFB recovers faster than ground NB. If I didn't feel like I needed to learn them, trust me I would love not to.

For example, superman's straight laser knocks down the opponent regardless on hit grounded or in the air. Having a fireball that recovers quicker and can be shot in much faster reps, in my opinion, is better than having a ground fireball that will trade with it. Just playing the matchup with my training partner (we played the matchup a lot in injustice 1, and recently in injustice 2) to me it felt painfully obvious that it would have helped control space better.

The use of IAFB is matchup specific, but considering I want to use this character at the highest level, I want to master them. Just personal preference. I still need to go back and take notes over the match footage and test things, but if I feel like its not needed then I'll be the first to stop practicing them haha.
are you actually sure it has better recovery, or are you just assuming it does because it "feels like it"? Honest question, have you tested? Because I have great insta airs but im not getting more fireball spam than just firing them the old fashioned way. Recovery seems the same on both to me, but I can test later as well.

I'll be honest, going by feel. But I find it hard to imagine an IAFB having less or equal recovery than regular fireball (since it wasn't that way in injustice 1). I'm already uploading footage on the matter, so I can slow the video down and freeze frame to see it better. I'll let you know what I get.

God Confirm

I'll be honest, going by feel. But I find it hard to imagine an IAFB having less or equal recovery than regular fireball (since it wasn't that way in injustice 1). I'm already uploading footage on the matter, so I can slow the video down and freeze frame to see it better. I'll let you know what I get.
do your best iafb, hold duck before you hit the ground

do a regular fb, hold duck immediately

if you link me the footage of both ill count the frames individually so we can know

In the video footage the IAFB recovers faster. I have a freeze frame of both fireballs shot at the same time (not the startup, the actual recovery), and the IAFB (not even sure if it's that "instant") is able to duck and block a couple of frame before the grounded fireball. I'll post an image of it later

Edit: Here's the video I have another one uploading as well (ex. at 0:41 sec)

The video is 30 FPS, the time it takes between the IAFB cyborg to duck and the ground NB cyborg to duck is by minimum 5 frames (max 6 frames), which would mean IAFB has 10 frames less recovery (at minimum) by going by this video. And again, I'm not even sure if this is the lowest IAFB I could get.

Last edited:

God Confirm

In the video footage the IAFB recovers faster. I have a freeze frame of both fireballs shot at the same time, and the IAFB (not even sure if it's that "instant") is able to duck and block a couple of frame before the grounded fireball. I'll post an image of it later
nice show us what you can, be definitely good to get some hard knowledge out on this nice and early

God Confirm

holy shit that video is confusing im not sure what im looking at lol

i just meant one instance of your best iafb, and a second recording of a regular one haha