What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

gibster13

A fan of fans
I struggle to get instant air fireballs (the straight one) really low to the floor, I do think that there is a limit of height.

But, I got one extremely low to the floor so I am at a loss now

EOTL

I've figured this out. You need a neutral input after the jump when you do a straight instant air fireball (IAFB).

Its all to do with Netherealm's weird input system. If you move from your jump direction (upback, up or up forward) to back without going through neutral while your in prejump frames. I.E, still on the ground it will not be read and the fireball will not come out. If you hold your jump and then move to back without going through neutral while in the air the fireball comes out. This doesn't apply to the air-ground fireball.

On the ground if you hold down for awhile and then press back+1 you get an anti air fireball (as i feel it should be)
If you hold back for a while and then press forward+1 you dont get the fireball, just a punch.

If NRS could change this it would be a good Quality of Life change. It makes the execution significantly more difficult.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
So i did see Ketchup's new vid today. I saw him do b123 into nb cancel dashfoward into F3 without using meter and it was working i thought his cancels were cheeks but he made it look pretty viable.

I also noticed that after his pressure midscreen he nj2 when they tried to poke i thought it was freaking awesome, also he did nb cancel at the end of his pressure but dashed away and started zoning things to incorporate we all play diffrent.

Im gonna game with my brother tn and try it out. Also he tries a combo after d1 on block so incorperate that. Supes is a bad matchup thats who my brother uses, we will see.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I like using MB fireball on reaction to somebody jumping over straight fireball. I also like throwing out up fireball then MB'ing it to catch the opponent moving forward or whatever - and since Cyborg naturally makes people wanna jump lol, you catch the AA quite a lot which allows a free trait and/or TA setup.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
Just a match i had last night i felt good about, because bats online crossover too much.

Some IAFBs if yall want to see how crispy mine are.

Side Note: If they want to sit full screen i let them so i can build meter for pushblocks. Depends on the mu.

Last edited:
They just have to make DB2
I've figured this out. You need a neutral input after the jump when you do a straight instant air fireball (IAFB).

Its all to do with Netherealm's weird input system. If you move from your jump direction (upback, up or up forward) to back without going through neutral while your in prejump frames. I.E, still on the ground it will not be read and the fireball will not come out. If you hold your jump and then move to back without going through neutral while in the air the fireball comes out. This doesn't apply to the air-ground fireball.

On the ground if you hold down for awhile and then press back+1 you get an anti air fireball (as i feel it should be)
If you hold back for a while and then press forward+1 you dont get the fireball, just a punch.

If NRS could change this it would be a good Quality of Life change. It makes the execution significantly more difficult.
Makes sense now why I can do it on one side and struggle on the other. I play on stick so I actually do uf,b,f+1.
So it registers pretty consistently because I return the stick to neutral before doing the fireball input.

IMO, that's not just a QoL change. It needs to be changed since other jump special inputs work just fine.

So the Darkseid mu seems pretty impossible. Anyone have any exp/tips?
I'm still working on it myself. It seems annoying, but fair to me. It's a bad idea to sit fullscreen against Darkseid, but it's still optimal to retain to some of your space. I let him be the challenger for zoning and duck regular projectiles and retaliate with a fireball of my own. He has to hold it or avoid it depending on his spacing.

It's important to be at a range to react to his fireballs and teleport or else we're in for some shenanigans. It's a bad idea to trade since his knockdown (all these zoning characters with nonMB advantage fireballs). Once we knock him down though he'll have to respect our zoning for a bit until his finds his time to counteract. Try to stay safe if you have lifelead to commit them to doing unsafe actions for offense, such as teleport or omega beam at mid-close range.

insta-air straight fireball doesnt seem particularly better than grounded straight fireball, its 2 frames faster start-up but you waste that in jump frames, and if you trade with projectile you get knocked down. I guess the difference is the MB down shot as opposed to up shot but I think upshot is more useful anyway...
Since I can do IANB pretty consistently on one side I decided to make a video showing that IANB does recover faster than his ground version. One thing to note is that how much advantage he gets from his recovery is dependent on the distance away from the enemy (like other fireballs).

I'll be sure to upload it later tonight. I'm too busy labbing and building up a second video about TA/Trait in neutral since a lot of praise is going in the Dr. Fate forums lately haha. It makes me want to do more for Cyborg, haha.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Since I can do IANB pretty consistently on one side I decided to make a video showing that IANB does recover faster than his ground version. One thing to note is that how much advantage he gets from his recovery is dependent on the distance away from the enemy (like other fireballs).

I'll be sure to upload it later tonight. I'm too busy labbing and building up a second video about TA/Trait in neutral since a lot of praise is going in the Dr. Fate forums lately haha. It makes me want to do more for Cyborg, haha.
please do!

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
whats a better TA/trait set-up in the corner, 112 knockdown, 113~DF2 knockdown, or just 11 or 113 cancelled into TA/trait?

whats a better TA/trait set-up in the corner, 112 knockdown, 113~DF2 knockdown, or just 11 or 113 cancelled into TA/trait?
112 knockdown, imo.

113~DF2 gives time to do TA (but not trait), but you can't follow up with any meaty attacks to force the opponent to get hit by TA.

11/113~TA/trait. isn't guaranteed at all depending on the combo if the opponent techs. You may find time for some combos to have TA missiles to come out, but they will still stuff your recovery frames.

112 knockdown is best due to the long knockdown it provides. If opponent actually techs it, its just extra advantage we get for our setup.
The long knockdown allows for TA into meaty attacks where they have to wakeup attack or pushblock to get out. It also gives time for trait, but you may have to block if the opponent is mashing on wakeup.

Any Tips to get ia?
Ultimately there isn't a fast way to make this any easier. The buffer for jBF1 is just more strict than jDB1. But I'll give any details I can.

Turn on Input Shortcut to improve directional leniency.
Wait for Cyborg to touch the ground before inputting the next IANB. Cyborg's landing changes depending on whether or not the opponent gets hit by it (due to hitstop; this is what allows players to confirm or feel the impact of moves).

SuppaSapien3

Chipotle and Olive Garden are NOT authentic
I was wondering though how are you opening up to land clean hits with cyborg vs characters with long range normals? It seems every time I press a button, I get whiff punished for everything. Surely his neutral isn't just straight zoning is it?

Sleeping_WULF02

formerly known as KHAOTIC_xWULFx
I was wondering though how are you opening up to land clean hits with cyborg vs characters with long range normals? It seems every time I press a button, I get whiff punished for everything. Surely his neutral isn't just straight zoning is it?
Much like how Ryu was in sfv in my opinion you need to use his fireball as a forties tool as well but trust me that easier said then done. I was thinking about doing a video on that too once I'm more comfortable with the character

Sleeping_WULF02

formerly known as KHAOTIC_xWULFx
Hey guys just wanted to let you know that kinetic balding will be on red hot Sunday tonight back in the first In1 he was considered at least the second best cyborg right behind relaxed state as far as major tournament placings, but me personally the only cyborg who I felt was better than me was kinetic balding. We shared Great Tech, matchup knowledge, and a plethora of other things about the character and for now he might be the best cyborg player (I'm coming for that title though:D) please tune in tonight I'm sure kinetic balding is going to do great with cyborg and please take notes I know I will:cool: