What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So I saw Sonic Fox played a little Cyborg. Any new insights gained from watching him play? I watched a little of it, seemed more like Sonic Fox is just amazing in nuetral than any actual character insights. He seemed to be landing a lot of J2 into 113xxPF type stuff. I didn't watch the whole thing though.

So I saw Sonic Fox played a little Cyborg. Any new insights gained from watching him play? I watched a little of it, seemed more like Sonic Fox is just amazing in nuetral than any actual character insights. He seemed to be landing a lot of J2 into 113xxPF type stuff. I didn't watch the whole thing though.
I didnt see much. He actually wasnt thaaat good with him. He had good neutral as expected from sonicfox but as far as conversions, setups, and tech. He didnt really have anything to note of. Imaginable Lamp and some of the fellow borgs here are more so worth watching lol

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
That's the take I got. SF is flat out amazing to watch, but seemed like he was just having some fun, so understandable he didn't have as deep a character knowledge. It's crazy how he can pick up any character and make them look good, though. Borg is probably too boring for SF's style, but it'd be crazy to see what he could do if he starts leveraging Borg's plus frames.

That's the take I got. SF is flat out amazing to watch, but seemed like he was just having some fun, so understandable he didn't have as deep a character knowledge. It's crazy how he can pick up any character and make them look good, though. Borg is probably too boring for SF's style, but it'd be crazy to see what he could do if he starts leveraging Borg's plus frames.
Yeah, i cant really see what borg is missing after his buffs. Only thing i can think of is just less recovery on his projectile (TA or NB) but that may break him and force him to zone even more. I prefer his dash cancel game and enforcing respect on his plus frames IMO

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I've said too many times, the only thing I really feel that Borg is missing is his Command Grab being mid. I feel like it would really compliment his frame trap game, which is basically all he has other than zoning.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I've said too many times, the only thing I really feel that Borg is missing is his Command Grab being mid. I feel like it would really compliment his frame trap game, which is basically all he has other than zoning.
If by complement you mean make his offense stupidly good then I see what you mean. His grab has great range and invincibilty frames, it would be absurd as a mid.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
If by complement you mean make his offense stupidly good then I see what you mean. His grab has great range and invincibilty frames, it would be absurd as a mid.
It has great range, but it's slow (16F startup), and I think it's only partial invincibility on wakeup. If it does have normal invincibility it's almost non-existent because it still gets stuffed constantly. It also has poor recovery at 52F. As a high it serves no purpose since Borg has no credible threat to make an opponent not want to block low. It's only real use right now is to MB it as a damage ender for combos, although it's not even an efficient use of bar, just a way to get max damage.

Kekoa

Noob
It has great range, but it's slow (16F startup), and I think it's only partial invincibility on wakeup. If it does have normal invincibility it's almost non-existent because it still gets stuffed constantly. It also has poor recovery at 52F. As a high it serves no purpose since Borg has no credible threat to make an opponent not want to block low. It's only real use right now is to MB it as a damage ender for combos, although it's not even an efficient use of bar, just a way to get max damage.
What if they made it an overhead?

Only on wake up and all the opponent would have to do is jump (just like his low sweep wakeup) on whiff its death. As is now the fact that ducking the grab makes it whiff is absurd, i cant believe they thought it would be a decent wakeup lol. His neutral would be great though if it was a mid like scarecrow even if they tuned down the range a bit

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd be fine if they slowed the grab a few frames and changed the range. I don't need it to be a strong tool in neutral, I just want it to be useful as an option when the opponent has been conditioned to block.

I don't care if it's an overhead or not. Having a more credible high/low mixup game would be nice, but I'm not sure it fits the current character.

Marinjuana

16 frames is not slow, that's unreactable and it only puts it a few frames slower then most, and it's faster then Banes'. I meant to say wakeup invincibility.

Look, it's not good, it has only niche use. Probably the best use is to tick throw with 11~tackle as it does healthy damage when MB'd. But Cyborg doesn't need to mix people up with command grabs.

You make it a mid then you are giving him all of this offense based around 50/50 grab situations, and you make his low special completely irrelevant as a wakeup. It does have invincibility frames on wakeup too, so the opponent would have no choice but to jump or use meter which offers Cyborg a plethora of options on wakeup that he doesn't need.

16 frames is not slow, that's unreactable and it only puts it a few frames slower then most, and it's faster then Banes'. I meant to say wakeup invincibility.

Look, it's not good, it has only niche use. Probably the best use is to tick throw with 11~tackle as it does healthy damage when MB'd. But Cyborg doesn't need to mix people up with command grabs.

You make it a mid then you are giving him all of this offense based around 50/50 grab situations, and you make his low special completely irrelevant as a wakeup. It does have invincibility frames on wakeup too, so the opponent would have no choice but to jump or use meter which offers Cyborg a plethora of options on wakeup that he doesn't need.
What makes that bad? U got batman that has mb up batarang and his low slide. Up batarang even leads to full combo. Sooooo?

Marinjuana

(maybe scarecrow is a better comparison) And if scarecrow does his command grab on wakeup what do u do? You have to jump or armor, Not to mention his real wake up actually can catch u jumping at times

I can make a read that he won't use his regular wakeup and meaty him on oki, which would stuff his grab as it doesn't have invincibility frames on wakeup. I can also leave enough range for the grab to whiff, which would be difficult against Techno Tackle. And Scarecrow doesn't have great zoning to go with his up close game.

I'm also still curious as to why Cyborg even needs such a buff(or any buff) in the first place.

I can make a read that he won't use his regular wakeup and meaty him on oki, which would stuff his grab as it doesn't have invincibility frames on wakeup. I can also leave enough range for the grab to whiff, which would be difficult against Techno Tackle. And Scarecrow doesn't have great l to go with his up close game.

I'm also still curious as to why Cyborg even needs such a buff(or any buff) in the first place.
A command grab buff is a wish for the most part lol. Would make him more rewarding to play. I still think the best buff he could get would juat be less recovery on his projectile on the ground. Not BB style but just a lil less

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Making his grab a mid would not be broken at all. And this so call wake up mix is a bill as lot and I mean alot of characters have jump normals to stuff cyborg wake up power fist. Try doing that to Batmans uprang MB that's faster than 16 frames. Also his grab resets the neutral as he rolls 2 characters away it grants no Oki situations unless in the corner when MB as there at cyborgs feet. This would make up for his lack of range on his normals.