What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any idea what causes the drone to act like this?
Yes, it happens commonly if they hop over drone. 16 bit mention this day -4 before injustice came out that it has good tracking when he was breaking down the character. Working as they intended.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Does anyone have any advice for fighting an atrocitus? I was playing one last night (who was a total dick and talked trash the entire time), and I pretty much got wrecked. Part of it's likely that my execution and blocking isn't that great, but I constantly found myself getting pushed to the corner and eating combos. What should I be trying to do in that matchup?

4x4lo8o

Noob
Does anyone have any advice for fighting an atrocitus? I was playing one last night (who was a total dick and talked trash the entire time), and I pretty much got wrecked. Part of it's likely that my execution and blocking isn't that great, but I constantly found myself getting pushed to the corner and eating combos. What should I be trying to do in that matchup?
Iafb are super good in that match up. I've never played a long set with a good Atrocitus, so I'm lacking in depth knowledge, but mb b3, d1~sd, and iafb are usually all I need to deal with that mu online. Pushblock if he touches you and you don't want to block a mix up, punish puddle with b3. He's tall and slow so put him full screen and harass him with fireballs - he can't trade or counter zone easily. If he gets cat out at fullscreen I usually just disrespect it with lots of air fireballs

ATROCITUS (from my experience..)
When it comes to the Atrocitus matchup, the gameplan is to stay mid screen and use IAFB to zone him out.

You want to build meter and get the first hit for push block, and do your best to prevent trait call at all cost. Also, because Atrocitus's strings advance him forward and have a large hitbox, you can't backdash once he's in range 1 or you'll get tagged.

Neutral jump 2 is a good option to catch his forward advancing strings (one of the best openings vs. Atrocitus from playing is to start the match with neutral jump 2, it punishes most of his advancing normals). You can also do d1 buffer into PF to check any dash ins or forward advancing strings to keep Atrocitus on his toes.

Also important to be able to fuzzy the f223 puddle options. I believe Akromantic made a video on it, you generally want to start of blocking the first two hits low (the first two parts of the string are mid, this avoids the low puddle option), then for the 3 part of the string the low puddle comes first compared to the overhead so you hold down up to the last second then up, then back down. Actually here's the vid on it. I can only fuzzy the f2 2/puddle option consistently, no luck on the 3/puddle option:

Also, as for nearly every Cyborg matchup, you have to avoid the corner at all cost. It's were Atrocitus excels at, and where Cyborg is the weakest in this matchup. How to do this is tricky, but it consists of carefully zoning with IAFB, and being ready for MB roll by Atrocitus. MB roll is a huge problem in this matchup for sure considering if your caught doing an air up-NB or ground-NB you get full combo punished.

With trait active, Atrocities can bulldoze through NB with his shield. However, doing EX IAFB (must be done low to the ground) can break the shield (the shield can only take one hit before it breaks). Ground EX NB can do the same thing, but at times the second fireball will go up and whiff, so EX IAFB is the better option. Roomba and TA close can also check shield advance as well, best to set these up after a knockdown or if Atrocitus is respecting your zoning game.

As for oki, Atrocitus's only invincible wakeup is a high, thus you can meaty attack with d1 SD. If you ever find yourself blocking this wakeup, the final hit of it (EX or not EX) can be backdated and punished with 12b2 EX PF. I also have oki setups vs. his invincible wakeup posted somewhere, I'll find it when I get back from school.

I will make a thread on this matchup hopefully in the not to distant future. I also have some gameplay (not the best, I still got wrecked) that might give you a better idea on how to approach it.

da800don

Noob
What do yal think about this asserted reset? Is it viable? Doable? I did it in practice mode, but was not confident in a real match. (not my video)

Also, my new alternate (strong alternate) is dr fate. I destroy darkseid with fate. And if I play smart, dominate Black manta.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Why does Cyborg get popped into the air if he hits the opponent with TA and then cancels into techno tackle? Bull Crap. smh

I swear every bug gets fixed except Cyborg. LOL
Are you talking about if you hit them with techno tackle and then the TA hits? That happens with all throws to all characters - if either character gets hit during a throw animation both characters get launched.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
How useful/practical is Cyborg's 23 string? The damage doesn't seem great and it can't be special canceled, but it seems to have nice range, it looks somewhat safe on block, and it creates a lot of space.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
How useful/practical is Cyborg's 23 string? The damage doesn't seem great and it can't be special canceled, but it seems to have nice range, it looks somewhat safe on block, and it creates a lot of space.
I think it's pretty useful during blockstrings or "fake strings" such as if a character you are against has a slow down one you can do 23-d1-and 23 again. Then try to grab them. OR 23 then D1-mbB3.

I forget how many start up frames if it slower than 13fs then I use it to start the match so I can start zoning, also it's good if someone is trying to disrespect your frames and puts them full screen to zone. Like I made new setups I posted them in the combo thread but like b123 I think is 0 on block you can throw it out after because it has good range.

But ultimately I don't use it besides pressure and corner pressure. Like getting a 112 in the corner and then throw TA out if the wake up 23 them into the TA or do it immediately after the TA. Sorry for the long post

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Cool, thanks. At this point I feel like I get rushed down a lot, so I'm hoping if I can get better out counter poking with D1 I can start to follow up D1 on hit into 23 string. I don't think it's guaranteed, but they're slow to block or try to hit button I think it should catch them. At this point I'm just focusing on learning how to deal with rushdown, and working on ways to keep the opponent at length.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Is there a good drill to set up in practice mode to work on timing for counter pokes/punishes? For example, if I want to work on punishing with Cyborg's D1, what can I do? I've been setting the CPU to do a move that's punishable, like something -10 or -12 (I'll work up to -9, -8). If D1 hits, I think it's +10 or so. If D1 hits, is there a prefferred string I should be using as follow up? Or should I be trying to cancel D1 into something?

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: PlayingNeutral
Is there a good drill to set up in practice mode to work on timing for counter pokes/punishes? For example, if I want to work on punishing with Cyborg's D1, what can I do? I've been setting the CPU to do a move that's punishable, like something -10 or -12 (I'll work up to -9, -8). If D1 hits, I think it's +10 or so. If D1 hits, is there a prefferred string I should be using as follow up? Or should I be trying to cancel D1 into something?
Always D1-PFmb~f22 or if you have meter D1-PFmb-F2-PF/mb (Depending on the character size)

23 is neutral on block, so against any character that has a 6 frame jab, Cyborg is -1 (if 7 frame, he's neutral). Any character with slower low pokes and he's technically plus (like bane on debut). I find 2,3 useful considering if it lands it knocks the opponent back to 3/4ths screen (and if they techroll they go back way further). I also use it after landing a d1, or when an opponent is -4 or more on block to check them (although b123 is probably the better option).

I can't recall, but I remember testing using 23 as a combo ender after EX PF vs. f22 and f2 SD. I can't remember which did more damage, (I think f2 SD did) but 23 sends the opponent the farthest from what I recall, especially if they tech roll. Really important to know how far each ender pushes the opponent, something I need to test again.

I primarily use 23 against rush down characters, since as 16 bit described it, it's his "get off me" string. Biggest negative is the 3 part whiffed against low hurtbox characters, so it can be inconsistent at times.

I also tend to use it after landing a d2 (not as an anti-air but when the opponent is grounded). Not sure if that's optimal. Just discussing this is making realize there are so many things I need to investigate with this character, so little time though.

One of things you want to be careful about when it comes to drills is you need to try to simulate an actual match scenario but gradually with progression. Otherwise you'll only be ready to punish in specific instances.

So first off, you want to see what you can punish with d1. So you take an -10 move, and either set it as a reversal or a wakeup attack, and practicing it punishing it consistently. Do this as many times, until you can do it 10 times in a row cleanly.

Once you feel comfortable with that, you need to evaluate situation where you might see it used, primarily from match footage and practice that same scenario. Like for example after landing a combo and dashing in, it's common to see deadshot players go for assassin knee. So learn the timing of baiting the wakeup and punishing.

The next includes setting up a recorded dummy to jostle in neutral (for extended period of time, say a 1:30 min or 2 min) and have the dummy input the move you are trying to punish (lets use assassin knee for example). You want to try to make it is random as possible, but just enough. While your practicing agains the dummy, still treat it as an actual footsie match, and if the dummy gets too close counterpoke or initiate pressure. Zone the dummy at times to even alter the timing so it doesn't get predictable.

Finally, the last step is to set an AI dummy to several other normals (for headshot this would include high shots, d1 b12, j2, dash in d1, dash in b12, b2, etc.) in match, and have the dummy throw out the move you are trying to punish. Treat the dummy as an actual opponent, and zone/counterpoke but be ready to punish the move in anticipation. You can gradually add normals, but try to progressively add more as you get better. Do this for extended period of time, then redo another recording and repeat.

Final step is to play opponents and focus on punishing the said move. The focus should be punishing, so loosing a number of game isn't bad, since your trying to intergrate the habit into your muscle memory.

If you repeat this process, in due time, you will be able to punish moves like this without having to thing about it. It's all about conditioning, so it's a process you have to keep doing till you get it down to habit. Be sure to alter scenarios as well.

Hope it helps :)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
That's amazing, thanks. I know I've said it before, but seriously this is the most helpful thread I've ever seen on TYM.

Iafb are super good in that match up. I've never played a long set with a good Atrocitus, so I'm lacking in depth knowledge, but mb b3, d1~sd, and iafb are usually all I need to deal with that mu online. Pushblock if he touches you and you don't want to block a mix up, punish puddle with b3. He's tall and slow so put him full screen and harass him with fireballs - he can't trade or counter zone easily. If he gets cat out at fullscreen I usually just disrespect it with lots of air fireballs
Tuff match up at hight lvl if u dont beleave me utube redhot sunday kinetic balding vs rewind i think i forgot who he fought baldings my boi