What's new

Cheetah and Swamp Thing Character Breakdowns - March 15th

It's like 4 different special move options per character, it's really not that big a deal imo.

What is the point of making all these cool bonus abilities if we will never see them in competitive play?
I have to agree , that's what I liked about MKX watching people play differently ! If you don't have this option in competitive mode everyone will play the same way . Will get boring to watch and play in my mind

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
there are some abilities that completely nullify a character's weaknesses with little to nothing lost. I don't want that in this game.
are you just saying potentially, or is this already the case? I didn't play the beta so honest question

God Confirm

I have to agree , that's what I liked about MKX watching people play differently ! If you don't have this option in competitive mode everyone will play the same way . Will get boring to watch and play in my mind
if nothing else, customization will definitely add longevity

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Why is no one talking about the grappler with a fast full screen attack? Because that's both characters they showed!

Swamp things high clone grab mb will be a huge deal, probably.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
are you just saying potentially, or is this already the case? I didn't play the beta so honest question
A little bit of both. There were some things that made areas of characters so strong that it made their weaknesses kind of forgettable.

God Confirm

Atrocitus had a real hard time with zoning, Blood Push when meterburned basically nullified that.
but he has to sacrifice other strong gear abilities to get that one

I think the system is fine, and the idea of not including things that may need to be rebalanced may as well just not include characters.

Seconded. I like my swamp the way it is.
Although I can already hear the arguments from here. "X Gear's special ability should be made universal" or "what's the big deal if I use Y's Gear in tournament?" and the like is gonna become the next "should we ban interactables?" debate that's inevitably going to rise over gear legality or viability.
Because there are bound to be some things - like Lantern having the Rolling Stone or Swamp's Trait becoming a Teleport - that will make for pseudo-variations, which since they likely won't be game breaking will almost certainly have their proponents.

Could be the coolest thing ever, could be a total disaster.
So now In time video games get patched almost as fast community likes to complain . Look at rainbow six gets patched at least once a month. Plus mkx was patched alot , I expect that to even happen more . To give up depth in a fighting game cause you are scared of balance is not legit anymore ! I have seen fighters with a lot less depth more broken then say mkx . No game is ever perfect in balance especially at launch ..

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
So now In time video games get patched almost as fast community likes to complain . Look at rainbow six gets patched at least once a month. Plus mkx was patched alot , I expect that to even happen more . To give up depth in a fighting game cause you are scared of balance is not legit anymore ! I have seen fighters with a lot less depth more broken then say mkx . No game is ever perfect in balance especially at launch ..
That's facts.

Don't get me wrong - if Gear can make it so that characters can be practically, legally played with what would basically be customizable variations, THAT would be every kind of hype that hype is capable of being. IF it works.

If I could make my own Cyrax in MKX, i would GLADLY give up the floaty bombs AND my Teleport if I could have my B121 command grab back.
Or Kenshi with a teleport in Balanced or a Reflect in Possessed.
Etcetera, etcetera.

Cautious optimism.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
Agreed on Swamp Thing's gameplay giving me cancer. His trait that covers everywhere he walks combined with no jump or dash, into command grabs and half screen to full screen bitchslaps is gonna be frustrating.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
but he has to sacrifice other strong gear abilities to get that one

I think the system is fine, and the idea of not including things that may need to be rebalanced may as well just not include characters.
The thing you're not thinking about is the fact that it isn't the individual moves that have to be balanced it's the character.

A character is NOT a handful of normal or special attacks. A character equals normal attacks plus A SPECIFIC handful of special attacks that are unique to that character. Cyrax is not Smoke, Smoke is not Sektor, et cetera. They're different.

Smoke and Sektor are used more in tournament while Cyrax and CZ are barely used. You're arguing for a crap ton of special moves that will never be used in tournament anyway,. Then you're asking them to balance each and every possible combination of special moves for each character. That's what? 5-6 variations or more? It doesn't work.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
That doesn't make sense to me. Of course people play differently. Does Daigo play Ryu like everyone else? Can you pick up Zangief tomorrow and play like Snake Eyez? No way.

Street Fighter doesn't let you pick specials, KI, Guilty Gear, BlazBlu, Tekken... None of those games let you change your character like MKX, and they're still fun and deep with varied playstyles among characters.

People might play slightly different but that's not what I am talking about ( Not one Ryu throws more fireballs then this Ryu) ! Every character has tools it uses to win and when you change the tools it makes you rethink it can change the match up . Like seeing A swamp thing player struggle the first two rounds then switch to the load out with the teleport and ended up finding a way to counter ! How many times in MKX was there variation switching hype ! It just offers another layer to me and that's why mkx held my interest longer then a lot of fighting games you mention

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
People might play slightly different but that's not what I am talking about ( Not one Ryu throws more fireballs then this Ryu) ! Every character has tools it uses to win and when you change the tools it makes you rethink it can change the match up . Like seeing A swamp thing player struggle the first two rounds then switch to the load out with the teleport and ended up finding a way to counter ! How many times in MKX was there variation switching hype ! It just offers another layer to me and that's why mkx held my interest longer then a lot of fighting games you mention
That's totally fair. For me, a game with 38 different characters has enough variety to be fun and interesting to watch & play. Not everyone will agree and I respect that.

I just hope MKXL doesn't die with Injustice 2 and that there's enough of a loyal fan base to keep that going. Two years is not enough for that game and it's deep enough for 10 years, in my opinion.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
None of those words are Grodd, so all of those words are wrong.
Honestly. Fuck Grodd. Dude looks like hes got some stupid shit but it looks vool cause hes a monkey. I expect really good damage and weird monkey business...which mean FML. I hate unique characters. They body me.

Unless its Spawn cause you know....God.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
That's totally fair. For me, a game with 38 different characters has enough variety to be fun and interesting to watch & play. Not everyone will agree and I respect that.

I just hope MKXL doesn't die with Injustice 2 and that there's enough of a loyal fan base to keep that going. Two years is not enough for that game and it's deep enough for 10 years, in my opinion.
This is the NRS community. The old game is already on life support before the new game even comes out.