What's new

Cheetah and Swamp Thing Character Breakdowns - March 15th

trufenix

bye felicia
Listen at the end of the day it doesn't matter what me, you, or anyone else here thinks. I personally, regardless of if you think it's a good idea, don't think NRS as the ability to balance the dozens of abilities they have planned. However again, doesn't matter because it is in the hands of the TO's and what their general consensus ends up being. It's clear however that NRS isn't planning on abilities being competitive, hence their absence from COMPETITIVE mode, and so they are gonna go nuts with creativity with little thought to balance, because they feel it's for the casual audience clearly.
Well, I mean that's the point of having the discussion dude. NRS isn't going to balance it, but there's no reason why we couldn't. We could say x is tourney legal as long as its not with y, we could say, batman preset 1-3 should always be the following to speed the process up. We could say anything other than NRS please rescue us from effort.

Or we could say "listen at the end of the day it doesn't matter".

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Well, I mean that's the point of having the discussion dude. NRS isn't going to balance it, but there's no reason why we couldn't. We could say x is tourney legal as long as its not with y, we could say, batman preset 1-3 should always be the following to speed the process up. We could say anything other than NRS please rescue us from effort.

Or we could say "listen at the end of the day it doesn't matter".
The amount of bullshit that would arise from a system like that is frankly enough for me to not want that in this already struggling community.

trufenix

bye felicia
I actually think you're on to something here, but maybe we're going to reach different conclusions. Ultimately, people should be able to play the way they want right? So who's to say what when you throw a local tourney with "gear legal" play? Nothing stopping you from doing that.

Of course, IF NRS did NOT intend gear abilities to be used in a competitive fashion, it would have to be an unofficial unsanctioned event which means no WB/NRS blessings & pot bonuses. But hey, you get to play how you want and that's its own reward, right?

Alternatively you could have online "gear on" tourneys, or "gear King of The Hill" to get more entrants and eliminate venue costs. The best and hypest thing to think about in that regard, is that those modes are probably built into the game anyway...

For reals.
I mean bottom line TOs gonna TO, and if you want to run your local with gear that's cool. KiT isn't going to be wrecked because Nebraska's monthly local at pizza hut got steam rolled by some bullshit ability.

My point is WE the quote unquote competitive community have a unique opportunity to do some real good for this game and all the other games out there that this kind of custom move stuff is being put in to. We can send a message to Capcom and Namco and NRS that we are ready to be a part of the process and not just cuss on forums about what needs to be buffed/nerfed and who doesn't deserve their wins.

trufenix

bye felicia
The amount of bullshit that would arise from a system like that is frankly enough for me to not want that in this already struggling community.
Since when are we struggling? Since we got corporate pot bonuses . . . for regionals . . . in Europe? You're calling bullshit on a system you have no details on.

CrazyFingers

Since when are we struggling? Since we got corporate pot bonuses . . . for regionals . . . in Europe? You're calling bullshit on a system you have no details on.
When did I mention money? You know a community can be struggling and be fine with the bonuses yea? I'm honestly done with the conversation tho. You have your opinion I have mine, done.

trufenix

bye felicia
I hope you're not implying Hypespotting is a "regional".
I meant no disrespect man, I am just too dumb to know how big that is. I live in one of america's most geographically ignorant cities. We have the worst american football team and we once set our lake on fire.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Keep gear and abilities out of tournaments imo. Nobody wants to have to grind characters they hate to unlock every ability and learn how to counter that. Some characters have 10 abilites.. also, who wants to play in pools and watch people quitting out mid set to switch abilities, waste of pool time.. Doubt NRS will make a mode to unlock gear for tournaments, then everyone sitting at home will just use it and basically kill the grind abilities part of the game.

That crap will be cool and fun to watch at home, but frustrating as hell to play against in tournament. Competitive mode turns off gear AND abilities as well, i remember hearing that in one of their videos.

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
And on topic, swamp thing seems really cool with a super kit. Cheetah looks like the typical derp get in mixup all day character type that we are all used to by now. Cant wait for that robin breakdown on Wednesday though

CrazyFingers

And on topic, swamp thing seems really cool with a super kit. Cheetah looks like the typical derp get in mixup all day character type that we are all used to by now. Cant wait for that robin breakdown on Wednesday though
Gonna be hype! He definitely looks cool, hope he fits your playstyle <3