What's new

Cheetah and Swamp Thing Character Breakdowns - March 15th

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I just want to point out, in the little bit of dialogue between her & Swamp Thing, Swampy talks about The Red, referring to her.

I think Cheetah is The Red Representative. Sorry Beast Boy fans... He isn't deconfirmed here, but that's not good news. With Scarecrow being The Black, they're covered.

Is it me or does vine throw seem like a gigantic bill? Doesn't work at all up close or at full screen, only works at 4 very specific/small ranges that have to be chosen manually, and it can be avoided by jumping, ducking, dashing, or whatever. Plus very whiff punishable to boot.

edit: Can we also talk about why NRS insists on having strings that do things low>overhead>throw?

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Is it me or does vine throw seem like a gigantic bill? Doesn't work at all up close or at full screen, only works at 4 very specific/small ranges that have to be chosen manually, and it can be avoided by jumping, ducking, dashing, or whatever. Plus very whiff punishable to boot.
It worked for Anakaris.

edit: Can we also talk about why NRS insists on having strings that do things low>overhead>throw?
Because NRS hass has been making Tekken/DoA-alikes for years and people are only now starting to notice.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
I just want to point out, in the little bit of dialogue between her & Swamp Thing, Swampy talks about The Red, referring to her.

I think Cheetah is The Red Representative. Sorry Beast Boy fans... He isn't deconfirmed here, but that's not good news. With Scarecrow being The Black, they're covered.
It's possible, but Swamp Thing talking about Cheetah as an aspect of The Red is similar to him talking about Poison Ivy being an aspect of The Green. It doesn't mean she'll be the sole representative.

I do think Vixen or Animal Man are more likely than Beast Boy, but who knows.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Cheetah has no ties to the red AFAIK

Reeky Jones

XBL: Reeky Jones PSN: Reeky_Jones
Green Lantern has Tremors rolling cutter in the Firestorm trailer. May or may not be gear related.

It worked for Anakaris.

Because NRS hass has been making Tekken/DoA-alikes for years and people are only now starting to notice.
Never really played Darkstalkers. It just seems way too finnicky and punishable to be used for anything other than whiff punishing, and even then if there are 4 ranges to choose from that all exist within 2/3 of the screen you're judgement of spacing would have to be super on point.

As for the low into overhead into throw type strings, it just seems absurd to me based on principle. I remember everyone raging at Doomsday when Inj1 came out because having moves that go directly from OH to low and especially that quickly was regarded as absurd. Then MKX came out, and NRS gave half the roster strings and setups that were just as ridiculous but more rewarding. I guess this is just where we are at now.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Do we know yet if gear ABILITIES are also turned off in the tournament mode? Or just the stat bonuses? It feels like a huge waste if the abilities go, too.
I'd guarantee the abilities are still in ranked. They very deliberately only say that STAT BONUSES won't work in ranked when asked.
Maaan. I REALLY hope you two are wrong! What's the purpose of Player Match mode if all you get is ➕ 10% here and -20% there? If you get abilities in ranked why play Player Matches at all?? They're almost useless.

Adding all those abilities to Ranked and Tournaments is INJ2 Variations times 10. It'd be complete chaos and make Tournament play impossible to balance. No! That stuff should just be for fun!

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Do we know yet if gear ABILITIES are also turned off in the tournament mode? Or just the stat bonuses? It feels like a huge waste if the abilities go, too.
They were disabled with Competitive Mode in the beta. I really hope they're not disabled in the final game. They add a whole new level of fun to the game.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I doubt abilities will be on in tournament mode... It would be pretty fucked up to learn match ups and in actual tournaments that would be stupid. Tournament mode only keeps the look and competitive mode keeps stats and abilities.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Maaan. I REALLY hope you two are wrong! What's the purpose of Player Match mode if all you get is ➕ 10% here and -20% there? If you get abilities in ranked why play Player Matches at all?? They're almost useless.

Adding all those abilities to Ranked and Tournaments is INJ2 Variations times 10. It'd be complete chaos and make Tournament play impossible to balance. No! That stuff should just be for fun!
It's like 4 different special move options per character, it's really not that big a deal imo.

What is the point of making all these cool bonus abilities if we will never see them in competitive play?

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Imagine the chore if trying to balance Cheetah for Tournament play okay? Then if Cheetah has three variations you have to balance the same character three times. Now, let's remove variations completely and let you choose your specials. Now you have to balance each possibility anyone could possibly choose!

Okay, now... Do the same thing 37 more times.

Really?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
there are some abilities that completely nullify a character's weaknesses with little to nothing lost. I don't want that in this game.
Seconded. I like my swamp the way it is.
Although I can already hear the arguments from here. "X Gear's special ability should be made universal" or "what's the big deal if I use Y's Gear in tournament?" and the like is gonna become the next "should we ban interactables?" debate that's inevitably going to rise over gear legality or viability.
Because there are bound to be some things - like Lantern having the Rolling Stone or Swamp's Trait becoming a Teleport - that will make for pseudo-variations, which since they likely won't be game breaking will almost certainly have their proponents.

Could be the coolest thing ever, could be a total disaster.