What's new

Captain Cold General Discussion Thread

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
Wish incomplete traits didn't go out on clash. adjusted my combos to do starter > freeze(standing) > trait(spark queue) > F4 > B23 > B232 > trait. it's hard to get trait against zoners. 1 wrong timing can lose you 5% then the chip damage adds up.

also I get shield trait on accident like 50% of the time. the 1 match I wanted to use it intentionally to close out a 1/2% batman, I get trait only. feelsbad. good shit to the batman for capitalizing.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Supergirl and Harley are the most anti cold characters ive seen in a long time...
Any one with really good mobility or good zoning are a nightmare for him. I'd rather play Harley than Deadshot tbh because at least you can pressure Harley on knockdown where as Deadshot has great zoning and a great wakeup option...but Harley is still really bad too.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
He seems to have a lot of bad match ups right now, which is sad, because the character is really fun
The problem isn't that they are bad, it is that they are horrible IMO. A lot of characters in this game completely neutralize all of his tools. He is def my favorite character in IGAU 2, but he ended up in the wrong game IMO.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Supergirl and Harley are the most anti cold characters ive seen in a long time...
I don't find Supergirl too difficult tbh. He can compete with her footsie game, her air dash shenanigans are shut down by his amazing D2. Teleport is easily full combo punishable for him. D2 & Wall are good for dealing with her corner game. Only problem is the zoning, but I usually get trait to lvl 2 and then cold blast can hold up pretty well. Also, Cold's damage > Supergirl's.

Right now Aquaman, Harley, Superman, and Ivy seem like his biggest problems. Deadshot possibly but I haven't had the patience to explore that MU with him enough.

All of his specials are busted in some way. The Wall, our best special is also the most busted, and Reo just posted a video of how punishable it is, including the EX version :\

Where did the other half of his strings go? Why are they all so bad on block? Why does exactly one of them combo into db3?

Does anyone know what we're supposed to do with 213? It's our only hard knock down, I believe, but it doesn't seem very useful.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
All of his specials are busted in some way. The Wall, our best special is also the most busted, and Reo just posted a video of how punishable it is, including the EX version
I believe there are many MB specials than can be D1 interrupted before the MB comes out. It was designed this way so we can't just spam wake ups.

EX ice block is busted, if you launch an EX ice block that hits your opponent and right behind it you launch another EX block in one of the adjacent spots, the first block will come down and hit them, and break. The second will come down a moment later and.... break, even if they are no where near it. It happens every time.

df3 and EX df3 is possibly (probably) the least used special in the game I would guess.

db3 is nice except that it's only combos with one of our huge selection of strings

Maybe they're not *all* busted, but two of them have bugs that just plain waste your meter and get you punished for the trouble, and the others are either useful but unsafe or just not useful. :(

Edit: The EX ice blocks don't have to be in adjacent ranges, I just tested with the dummy at full screen and the second ice block as close range broke.

Edit again: if you shoot a third EX block, the second and third don't break :DOGE

Edit again, back to the wall, the point I was trying to make was that EX wall is +5 on block and still punishable.

Last edited:
tbh i don't feel like his 213 string is that bad. i always use it to finish of his combos against aggressive play types. but i do like his 12 should be able to link with his db3.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
"I designed this gun myself!" Is the best round win quote in the game, just saying.

Whenever I play cold I always find myself saying it to myself when I hit a swaggy combo or super or win the game lol.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
All of his specials are busted in some way. The Wall, our best special is also the most busted, and Reo just posted a video of how punishable it is, including the EX version :\
Yea Also depending on when you do the wall and or the opponents jump ark its pretty punishable...

and note...any character that can low profile really well (quinns wake up special) leaves cold with issues...

Just seems like a lot of ppl just walk back/out of range but still within rage of there foreword moving strings...

Just having trouble getting things started with cold..ppl seem to already be learning how to stuff his zoning...his strings (122 or f233) just get d1 or d2...its..depressing at the moment lol

Last edited:
Guys his D2 is ridiculous and you should find some good tech about it. Had good time Landing it on catwoman.no hurtbox on gun,its really good

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Guys his D2 is ridiculous and you should find some good tech about it. Had good time Landing it on catwoman.no hurtbox on gun,its really good
What do you mean "Find good tech"? It's a fantastic anti-air, undoubtedly, but there isn't much to really discover. Just optimize your follow-up combo (either for damage, or a set up).

And, while it is a great tool, All a character has to do to neutralize that tool is jump smarter.

i was playing grodd today and landed 21 mb db3 this isn't supposed to link. Was he not blocking it properly? or is gross hitbox getting caught in the animation after the second hit?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Everyone, including me, have tested his moves. I tested D2, Wall, S3, and such. I found so far that D2 is the best AA. It even kills the diving attacks. If any JI and diving attack did trade their attacks with someone barehanded, while down without any weapon, both would fall down.

The Wall is the best counter-attack against the CQC characters. The MB BF (Big Freeze) is the best ice trap to prevent them from closing on you. If they wanted to get close to you, either they zone out, or they jump, or they do any risky move to pass through the trap resulting any punishing move.

So what's the deal w/ u?

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
i was playing grodd today and landed 21 mb db3 this isn't supposed to link. Was he not blocking it properly? or is gross hitbox getting caught in the animation after the second hit?
2 1 works,it's 1 2 that doesn't

Earl

Noob
I am officially dropping him . Captain old is terrible. You can't get any long combos without trait but it is nearly impossible to get 2 bars against more than half the cast. against a good player. He is a situational character. I gave him a fair shot. You can only win against noobs who do not know his strings or punishes. I will keep him as a pocket character but it is time to move on for me. I would like to see matches against high level players from people on here who post on here who think otherwise.

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
So is b232 his best whiff punishing string? Ive had more success with it over F23.
Most likely. The issue with cold is that a lot of his meaningful strings(which he already barely has any strings at all) start high so they're kinda worthless? And they're slow enough to be punished by a D1 every time. F2 is surprisingly unsafe so staggering is limited, but for is 0. The rest of his plus strings are high starters so you have to catch someone blocking high when the default is blocking low...

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Dr Fate main here, but I haven't gotten to play any good CC's yet.

What does this forum think about Captain cold va Fate?