What's new

Captain Cold General Discussion Thread

dittO

Noob
Dr Fate main here, but I haven't gotten to play any good CC's yet.

What does this forum think about Captain cold va Fate?
Against CC:
step 1: just spam your projectile
step 2: If you get near the corner, meter burn a dash and go to the other side
step 3: repeat step 1, then step 2 and so on

Earl

Noob
NOTHING for Captain Cold in the patch. I know I said I dropped him but this is too egregious to ignore.

I was thinking what would make him able to compete with the top tiers list that Sonic Fox made. This is a small list

FIRSTLY , you should not need to charge trait. It should be like venom where the amount of times you press it gives you a bar.

Secondly, to add 4 or 5 more combo strings for variety and mixups

Thirdly, to have his ice wall stop EVERY projectile. It is so incosistent.

Those are the main problems I have with this character

NOTHING for Captain Cold in the patch. I know I said I dropped him but this is too egregious to ignore.

I was thinking what would make him able to compete with the top tiers list that Sonic Fox made. This is a small list

FIRSTLY , you should not need to charge trait. It should be like venom where the amount of times you press it gives you a bar.

Secondly, to add 4 or 5 more combo strings for variety and mixups

Thirdly, to have his ice wall stop EVERY projectile. It is so incosistent.

Those are the main problems I have with this character
sounds like you need to go to the poison ivy forum

Earl

Noob
I dont think there are any captain colds in the top 100 ranked leader boards. None in the top 64 at combobreaker. He has a handful of good match ups

I look forward to your tournament results and recorded matches against high level players to prove me wrong because I like the character.

I'll be at summerjam and defend the north

dittO

Noob
dont listen to that guy ^
Yeah man I agree :)
Fate has a ton of ways and much more creative should I add to destroy CC.
I just mentioned the lamest of them all.
If I got time later I may post some more ;)

Also I'm interested in your opinion about CC vs Fate matchup since you bothered to quote me, but didn't contribute at all in the subject so far...

Last edited:

Also I'm interested in your opinion about CC vs Fate matchup since you bothered to quote me, but didn't contribute at all in the subject so far...
or we could... you know... run the matchup

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
look guys, you're gonna have to actually work for your CC wins. sorry.

he doesnt need ' a mix '

he doesnt need to start with a fully charged trait

make use of the tools you got or play someone else
Yeah you have to work pretty hard against zoners. Just because in the end if you outplay/outwork someone in a disadvantage matchup doesn't make that matchup even.

Yeah you have to work pretty hard against zoners. Just because in the end if you outplay/outwork someone in a disadvantage matchup doesn't make that matchup even.
you're right, but we're not arguing numbers or even if its advantage / disadvantage.

i'm saying use the tools he has or move to a different character

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
It's an NRS game. Don't use a fair character when you can use a broken one. If they buff Captain Cold you can switch back.

I've found that matchups against strong zoners that seem hopeless at first become pretty winnable with a bar or two of trait. Often if I can get one bar, I'll mb wall, df2u, bf1, which often resets the pressure and they tend to under estimate your extra fast projectile. Often I end up forcing chars like blue beetle and cyborg to actually close with me instead of the other way around.

As far as the trait, I've found that in MUs where I don't need the projectile speed, I just don't bother with it and use db2 enders where I can mid screen.

MUs where I do, I build it and leave it, I almost never spend it, it's not worth giving them the ranged advantage back and having to build it up again.

I think I'd only spend it on a guaranteed corner reset, and only then if I was pretty sure they won't just clash out of it. Spending it to squeeze 100 extra dmg out of a midscreen seems like a waste to me.

Don't have much xp with Dr. Fate, doesn't seem to be a lot of em.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
had a match against black adam, dem jump backs and doing high arc dive kicks BA's. doing death-cicle far version or in between you both, gives you the some cover from divekick to throw cold blast/walk forward. still dependent on space and what you are doing in the MU.

an option to consider online.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Captain Cold is a bill. Only characters he does well against are those that don't have a projectile, like the flash/bane/cheetah/gorilla grodd.

I moved on, until they fix/upgrade his tools or give him more normals to help him actually compete with the cast. Man only has like 6 strings and half of them are only decent.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!

Skip to 17:30 for Fate vs. Cold. I actually think Captain Cold does pretty well in this MU. I don't really feel he's at any real huge disadvantage. Also played against Pnut's Fate and although he won, it was a close match.

does any1 know of certain scenarios for fitting in his 122 string as an opener? It seems to get beat out or ducked a lot on startup and it starts high but it's so plus on block that it would be a waste to ignore it. Also the overhead gives it nice mixup potential. If I could find the right times to use it as a block string or just general pressure I feel like my CC would get much better.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
does any1 know of certain scenarios for fitting in his 122 string as an opener? It seems to get beat out or ducked a lot on startup and it starts high but it's so plus on block that it would be a waste to ignore it. Also the overhead gives it nice mixup potential. If I could find the right times to use it as a block string or just general pressure I feel like my CC would get much better.
after a d1(better on block), you can walk back a bit to whiff them doing a d1/short normals then do 122. different for every character, depends on space but should be possible too against cheetah, bane and AM(maybe not). 1 will whiff but should get the opponent the idea that you're using CC's OH. btw F23 works on this scenario for punish too.

most of the time I cancel to trait(tapping) since it's +4 I believe, also them seeing you cancel to trait after 122 most of the time throws off their punish string i.e. hitting a 213 string and 21 not registering right away since they are still in block stun.

I throw out 122 (whiffing 1) in neutral where opponent is ducking(outside F2 max range) or their normal won't reach to hit them with the OH-12.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
i know you were just messin around with that statement but here ya go anyway
Why were you using MB wall to push him away? No MB Roll, I know it can be hard to time but gotta use it. No icicle pressure on KD. Non optimal combos. Not even sure why you played the range game as imo Cold is much better at pressure than Fate and the match should be fought up close where Fate doesn't have the advantage. Don't know if this vid was suppose to show fate wins MU or just out zones Cold.