What's new

Buff thread only for Captain Cold

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I think normal df3 slowing projectiles would do wonders against deadshot fate matchups but I can't see this as a working mechanic since they have to change those chars as well to not be able to shoot again while the projectile is out. It seems a simple code change but knowing the "input bug is too complicated to fix in code" in mk9 that got fixed by a modder 5 years later...yeah..never gonna happen.

MB icicle wouldn't do anything in the aquaman/atrocitus/tracking insta gore projectiles. He needs his forward air dash gear as a normal move.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
Aw, rough. I didn't think it'd be that hard to code. I actually forgot I put that down. I'd be more interested in slowing movement speed to try to make safe wakeups stuffable or punishable.

I just want icicle to be consistent at range, it definitely shouldn't compete with those moves. I played whack-a-mole with icicle in a match with a Bane player and we were both having a good laugh. It's just way too inconsistent without some tracking. If it were instant like Firestorm's with a healthy hitbox, different story... But yeah, imagine a Superman matchup in which they're afraid to air laser for fear of icicle. Glorious.

foxof42

Also about the tracking, there's the classic concept of "trap on myself" that could be useful in the corner. I feel like NRS gave Cold different ranges specifically so he could drop the MB version strategically, but it's not worth it.

Revenant Zero

Death Comes
When we say buffs; we don't mean damage. Cold can get 40% off one bar; he has two combos that are 0 on block. I think he's a solid character but needs a few changes to make him more viable. Let's be honest; ain't no one using Cold unless for counterpicks and even then; there are probably significantly higher tier characters that do better than Cold.

The Frost Field is so butt.*

*unless you are doing an unblockable freeze in the corner**
**assuming you are able to get them to the corner

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
-Last hit of B323 (Prison Break) to hit Mid

-Remove Hurtbox on Meter Burn version of The Wall so that projectiles cannot stuff it

-Meter Burn version of Cyclotron Charge added which will give you a bar of Trait Meter for the cost of a bar of a Super Meter

-Meter Burn version of Cold Blast to be delayable in a similar way that Cyborg's Meter Burn Nova Blaster can be

-1 to become 8f down from 9f

-Frost field to be replaced with the Shoulder of Cold or Air Ice Out gear ability moves.

--

Unfortunately, even though this is my favourite character and my most currently played character his toolset doesn't compliment his moves well when utilised together. However, I don't think he should be made into something he isn't.

The Meter Burn Death-Cicle is trash and I would prefer the Ice Rain ability move but that may be a bit over the top.

snort

Noob
My suggestions

Moves
Cold Blast: Increase damage as trait level increases
Ice Wall: Allow it to block intractable's, fix issues like BA low lighting
Frost Field: Gives Captain Cold HP when in the field

Strings
F12 links to EX puddle
Second hit on B23 changed to mid
Allow trait to be charged after 213

foxof42

My suggestions

Moves
Cold Blast: Increase damage as trait level increases
Ice Wall: Allow it to block intractable's, fix issues like BA low lighting
Frost Field: Gives Captain Cold HP when in the field

Strings
F12 links to EX puddle
Second hit on B23 changed to mid
Allow trait to be charged after 213
Just realized half my problems with oki could easily be fixed by making 213 special cancellable. Makes perfect sense.

foxof42

When we say buffs; we don't mean damage. Cold can get 40% off one bar; he has two combos that are 0 on block. I think he's a solid character but needs a few changes to make him more viable. Let's be honest; ain't no one using Cold unless for counterpicks and even then; there are probably significantly higher tier characters that do better than Cold.

The Frost Field is so butt.*

*unless you are doing an unblockable freeze in the corner**
**assuming you are able to get them to the corner
I don't think we would be complaining about it if we were popping it every thirty seconds, point black or at range. It's the fact that it's a rare, usually once a match IF THAT option that makes it bad. I'd say more often than not I'll use it, back off, and take pop shots for a minimum of 20% between DoT and the shots that connect. If you give it a mentality of Poison Ivy trait pressure and leave freezing on the back burner, it's a good option. (When it's an option. You know, whenever that is.)

foxof42

I would be ok with a slight damage nerf if it meant having consistent threats that forced opponents to play his game. Like if glacier grenade was possible on the regular, maybe tone down his corner damage just a wee bit from 900? I'm cool sacrificing that swag for practical stuff that isn't so conditionally demanding.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
So the hitbox and frames on his normals have been tweaked. His standing 3 should hit more consistently and be viable as an anti-air which is great.

Df3 has faster startup and less recovery which is much needed.

There is now only a 1 frame gap now in MB Ice Wall for counter zoning purposes, which should in theory make his MU against Fate and Deadshot more bearable.

I'm hoping there were other tweaks and such that weren't mentioned in the stream, but we will see in the patch notes when released.

He is basically the same, but should be able to run his game "more efficiently."

The nerfs to some of the cast like Aquaman, Superman, Bladam, CW, and Deadshot's close up game should make those matchups still manageable but eh... kind of underwhelmed. Hopeful though.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
So the hitbox and frames on his normals have been tweaked. His standing 3 should hit more consistently and be viable as an anti-air which is great.

There is now only a 1 frame gap now in MB Ice Wall for counter zoning purposes, which should in theory make his MU against Fate and Deadshot more bearable.

I'm hoping there were other tweaks and such that weren't mentioned in the stream, but we will see in the patch notes when released.

He is basically the same, but should be able to run his game "more efficiently."

The nerfs to some of the cast like Aquaman, Superman, Bladam, CW, and Deadshot's close up game should make those matchups still manageable but eh... kind of underwhelmed. Hopeful though.
He really didn't get anything he needed IMO.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind

Are those the tweaks that Tyler said?

The one with DF3 is a shit. It's not his best weapon, unless it's close. Needed for corner. This change would be making more sense on the DB2. :/

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Are those the tweaks that Tyler said?

The one with DF3 is a shit. It's not his best weapon, unless it's close. Needed for corner. This change would be making more sense on the DB2. :/
Mb ice wall still having a gap up close on block makes me sad

But atleast it'll b better now against projectiles

St.3 being a better anti air now , d2 is already godlike but maybe this might change his combos as well for example In the corner after f3 st.3 gun blast might not work anymore if it pops them up too high but maybe st.3 ice wall might pop them high enough for you to keep comboing idk just a theory

Tanno

Mb ice wall still having a gap up close on block makes me sad

But atleast it'll b better now against projectiles

St.3 being a better anti air now , d2 is already godlike but maybe this might change his combos as well for example In the corner after f3 st.3 gun blast might not work anymore if it pops them up too high but maybe st.3 ice wall might pop them high enough for you to keep comboing idk just a theory
We'll see in the patch notes and in the hidden buffs/nerfs. Once the patch hits, I'll lab him. They gave buffs to the worst weapon.

Tanno

Captain Cold - Hitbox adjustments. S3 is a great anti air now. Less recovery on arctic trap. Removed gap on the full screen ice wall.
What does he mean with this? I'm kind of confused with the Wall.

By Arctic Trap, I believe he means the DB3.

Well It at least Didn't got a nerf:cool:. And I found a d2 conversion into glacier globe combo. But still can't get it to be enough time in the air to freeze them. I will show it at noon so it can be improved.:)

Last edited:

Tanno

Well It at least Didn't got a nerf:cool:. And I found a d2 conversion into glacier globe combo. But still can't get it to be enough time in the air to freeze them. I will show it show it at noon so it can be improved.:)
Better do this after patch.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
"Kingpin of idiocy" :

Tanno said:
Your problem is that you guys are too rushdown and whatever. Have you thought that this guys is actually a defensive guy?

He has nice techs that you might have never found anyways. He might have no 50/50, but he has great AA and OKI techs. I'm creating a video for one of the techs I found with my CC main buddies.

With the right hands he will be a deadly opponent. He doesn't need nerfs and buffs.
He needs some tweaks to fix his gameplay and become more competitive than he is.

I have killed a lot of scrubs, who were kind of good with their own characters, with my Captain Cold as a training set for me in ranked matches.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
CC :( looks like he got fuck all got nothing he actually needed. better anti air from 3? no dont care his d2 is god like, faster df3, nope don't care, make it actually do something first. fucking NRS