What's new

Buff thread only for Captain Cold

Hiyomoto

Noob
No, because it's based on the time that Cold recovers. So while the in-game frame-data is correct in that if an opponent blocks it, Cold will have recovered 50 frames earlier than them, he had recovered before it actually appeared at the top of the screen, so basically he's already using up those 50 frames of advantage waiting for the cicle to connect. By the time it connects, all that advantage is gone and the opponent is free to react.
Lol, just when I thought I was onto something.
Do you seriously believe the frame data in this game without doing any sort of testing yourself? Do you seriously respect the icicle on hit for nearly a full second? You should answer No regardless of what you really do.
I'm still in the process of gitting gud, man.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Lol, just when I thought I was onto something.

I'm still in the process of gitting gud, man.
No worries. NRS's in-game frame data has a track record of being a bit iffy and misleading.

df3 is the new ice puddle like move like the Sub Zero ice puddle from MK9. flashy Yes, but ultimately a taunt like move that if it freezes You, You are a dumbass. Like puddle this is a move made for people to punish You for doing it.

Last edited:
I'm a Captain Cold main and I think he's pretty solid for the most, but he could use a couple of buffs:

1) Allow his db3-MB to link from d1. This will allow him to punish a lot more strings that are abused and it will be a true punishing attack besides d1 into wall. He needs to get his opponent to respect his move set and d1 into wall doesn't make much of a statement. It's around a 10% punish on moves that are below -10.

2) Don't allow his trait to disappear when he tries to activate it and gets hit. That's extremely crucial when going against zoning characters like Dr. Fate, Deadshot, and Black Adam.

I'm satisfied with everything else so far.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
That b232 also needs at least one mid in it - having a string which is three highs in succession just feels ridiculous in a game like Injustice lol.
Not every string needs to be viable for netutral. B232 is a very useful string for juggles and building trait, it is fine as is. They just need to add new stuff. CC has literally 4 STRINGS!!!! Only 4 3-hit strings that have no variations!!! This has to be the least.

Last edited:
This is why I suggested more cancel frames to make it work, gentlemen.
except you just came in with "it doesnt work, set the ai to blah blah blah"

you ARE in the buff CC thread dude, its safe to assume shit listed is what people would like to see

I haven't really played Superman and Aquaman, but I have played a lot of the other 2.

Black Adam doesn't have any combo starting 50/50's but he does a little more damage than Captain Cold and isn't meter reliant. Also, what is the frame data difference between Adam's F1,2 and Cold's F2, 3 (their main combo starters)? That could also make a difference.

Batmans only low/overhead starter is B1, 1, but his jump 2 is godlike. Enough said. XD But seriously, his jump 2 is amazing. That alone is a great mixup tool. Which side is it gonna hit on? Is it gonna cross you up?
Yes but i think this dudes inplying launching safe 50/50's my argument is just you dont need that to be good. Thats all

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
lol not having 50-50s is the furthest thing from his problem in this game. People need to focus on the real issues with his design.

I haven't really played Superman and Aquaman, but I have played a lot of the other 2.

Black Adam doesn't have any combo starting 50/50's but he does a little more damage than Captain Cold and isn't meter reliant. Also, what is the frame data difference between Adam's F1,2 and Cold's F2, 3 (their main combo starters)? That could also make a difference.

Batmans only low/overhead starter is B1, 1, but his jump 2 is godlike. Enough said. XD But seriously, his jump 2 is amazing. That alone is a great mixup tool. Which side is it gonna hit on? Is it gonna cross you up?
And im also saying those characters are fine without 50/50's which is what your argument is implying. We both agree on the same thing lol

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Captain cold is such a polarizing character. I actually think he does extremely well and beats some characters and definitely even outzones most "zoners" The problem is that most if not all these characters are low tier.

IMO he gets wrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeccked by top tier like deadshot/ aquaman/ atrocitous/ bladam.. Like badly

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Look, I know I'm in the minority here that thinks Cold is fine where he's at, just hard to play. I don't have any real buff suggestions, and I'm not going to shoot down any as I get where most of these come from, but I do want to point out one thing.

If 12 cancelled successfully into MB Freeze to continue a combo, do you guys really think it would change much? People would begin learning to block overhead then low, so it won't open people up. It wouldn't help with pressure. And most importantly, whiff punishing shouldn't be done with 12, so we already have viable combo options for that scenario.

I get why people are so zeroed in on 12 getting more cancel frames but I feel like you guys are overestimating how useful that would be.

And as far as "buffs" go, I would reiterate making the Ice Wall more consistent but that seems like more of a fix than a buff. And I get why some things bypass it, like some trait options and some tracking "projectiles". But it is inconsistent in some fashions. For example, Deadshot's bullets from his specials to get blocked by it... except for his retreating shot. On MB and with proper timing, the Wall will block multiple bullets. The exception is the multi retreating shot which completely ignores it.

dittO

Noob
His icicles should track the opponent and be faster
Ex icicle should not shatter (even If it hits the opponent) and stay longer on screen
CC should be able to stand on EX icicle
Projectile should be mid or keep it high but be faster
Add more combo attacks AND natural launchers (aside from d2): b1-strings or f1-strings etc
Change the input of level 1 trait to: f4
Change the input of level 2 trait to: b4
Fix wall and EX wall

make this guy broken. we need to have our revenge >:D

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
Are the people asking for tracking icicles CC mains(or people with a lot of time with him) or just ppl who tried him a little??

I personally want nothing to do with tracking and have roughly 1000 games with him. One of the best uses for icicles for me is when i can tell they are getting antsy and want to MB Roll in or use some other fast advancing move and you icicle right in front of you. Even if they get the hit, they don't get a combo.
Besides that example most of my hits come from out thinking them.

SO NRS IF YOU"RE READING THIS THREAD PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ICICLE TRACK. PLEASE SPEND THE TIME FIXING D1(Better hitbox) AS IT WHIFFS ON MANY CHARACTER WHO FLOAT MAKING PRESSURE AND PUNISHES PROBLEMATIC(It's not like it leads to much anyway!!!!!).

This is only one persons opinion obv.

RiBBz22

Are the people asking for tracking icicles CC mains(or people with a lot of time with him) or just ppl who tried him a little??

I personally want nothing to do with tracking and have roughly 1000 games with him. One of the best uses for icicles for me is when i can tell they are getting antsy and want to MB Roll in or use some other fast advancing move and you icicle right in front of you. Even if they get the hit, they don't get a combo.
Besides that example most of my hits come from out thinking them.

SO NRS IF YOU"RE READING THIS THREAD PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ICICLE TRACK. PLEASE SPEND THE TIME FIXING D1(Better hitbox) AS IT WHIFFS ON MANY CHARACTER WHO FLOAT MAKING PRESSURE AND PUNISHES PROBLEMATIC(It's not like it leads to much anyway!!!!!).

This is only one persons opinion obv.
Yeah I dunno why people would want tracking on them. It is nice being able to position them for setups or to put something between you and the opponent. I wish it was easier to get them on the screen to help counter zone though. Putting Cold into a crouch state on initial startup would be nice, or a little faster startup/recovery.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Make normal ice wall +8 on hit

Make trait charge go level 2 and 3 the same speed as it is to level one

D1 mb ice puddle connect

Make f21 plus one

Slightly bigger hitbox on icicles

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Lowering his hitbox when shooting out icycles would be a godlike buff. I definitely agree with the sentiment that I would not want them to track.

Having his b12 string properly link into db3 as a full string on hit confirm would seriously be nice. Also having his projectile either hit mid, or shoot faster or have better startup/recovery would be rad too.

Something about his trait needs to change so he can better keep up with the likes of Deadshot/Aquaman/Black Adam. The most I can ever get out of those mu's in a best case scenario is a level 1 charge, usually...which is worthless if you can't even get close to them.

He's a solid mid-tier with very bad/polarizing matchups against certain characters.

Again, i feel like Captain Cold is a character that got gimped in order to add gear moves. Those goddamn air ice blocks can be done twice and puts you out of range of almost every character and could be used to build trait. That alone could be enough to make him viable. Air dash could be great against zoners. Captain Cold is weak because his abilities make him that much better.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Again, i feel like Captain Cold is a character that got gimped in order to add gear moves. Those goddamn air ice blocks can be done twice and puts you out of range of almost every character and could be used to build trait. That alone could be enough to make him viable. Air dash could be great against zoners. Captain Cold is weak because his abilities make him that much better.
I feel the same exact way.

They took Captain Cold's total sum of his parts, all abilities he could have possibly had, and then cut out the ones that would have made him a more complete character. Some serious cookie-cutter Mickey Mouse business.

I feel the same exact way.

They took Captain Cold's total sum of his parts, all abilities he could have possibly had, and then cut out the ones that would have made him a more complete character. Some serious cookie-cutter Mickey Mouse business.

They knew it too. They said "Here's 2/3rds of a character, add the last 1/3rd yourself" because they cared more about making this obnoxious gear crap a thing than balancing the game.

Last edited:

RiBBz22

To me the ice climber crap in the air always seemed like it could be a broken sort of move to me. I had always assumed it was going to be tied to gear.