What's new

Brainiac Living Guide Thread

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
CORRZ JUST KNOW THAT U ARE UPPLAYING THIS CHARACTER BIG TIME.
I just am not a big fan of his normals focusing on hard knockdowns opposed to keeping an opponent standing. I feel like he'd benefit more from leaving an opponent standing off of strings on hit to cancel into trait for pressure...

I have been rewatching the stream and is it just me or does Steve make it sound like the normal divekick is somewhat safe on block (if you don't MB), when talking about instant air divekick he says:"you will have to...on block commit to the MB part so you aren't safe"

FinalBoss_FGC

I have been rewatching the stream and is it just me or does Steve make it sound like the normal divekick is somewhat safe on block (if you don't MB), when talking about instant air divekick he says:"you will have to...on block commit to the MB part so you aren't safe"
It was probably just a flub on his part, probably meant the opposite

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Um, what? I'm watching the footage for the first time and they literally say "he doesn't have a way to start a combo other than a bounce" (referring to f2/b2). Wtf? [edit: well now they are doing combos with him, so that was just factually incorrect information at the start of the stream...]

Also, what's the point of his up-tentacle waggle if he already has "the best d2 in the history of fighting games". It doesn't lead to a combo and it whiffs against adjacent opponents, unlike the d2. So...why would I ever want to commit to that move? I'm guessing maybe he'll have some corner combos that use it? Either way, seems like a total waste, especially when compared to the gear moves he could have had in its place.

Last edited:

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Also, what's the point of his up-tentacle waggle if he already has "the best d2 in the history of fighting games". It doesn't lead to a combo and it whiffs against adjacent opponents, unlike the d2. So...why would I ever want to commit to that move? I'm guessing maybe he'll have some corner combos that use it? Either way, seems like a total waste, especially when compared to the gear moves he could have had in its place.
I'm thinking juggle with a stocked drone. Whenever you have a drone on-deck and hit someone with the waggle, you're gonna get a full combo conversion by scooping them with the drone on the way down. At least that's what I'm speculating.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm thinking juggle with a stocked drone. Whenever you have a drone on-deck and hit someone with the waggle, you're gonna get a full combo conversion by scooping them with the drone on the way down. At least that's what I'm speculating.
But wouldn't his d2 work just as well, if not better (other than on wakeup)?

I hate to admit it, but I got such a bad feeling after watching the Black Adam reveal directly after Brainiac's. He's a character with a lot of obvious strengths. If you watch the Brainiac footage, they are constantly contradicting themselves, as if they have no idea what Brainiac is supposed to be. One minute they're talking about how strong his mobility is, the next they're talking about his slow walkspeed and bad backdash. Then they talk about how he doesn't have combos, and then they do combos. Then they talk about how he's a ground-based footsie character, but later in the stream he's now all about aerial yolo. It was just an overall depressing showcase. The guy who designed him could not have been less enthusiastic.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I just realized, thanks to his double-jump, he should be able to bait out wakeups really easily. Look like you're going into a crossover, they start to wakeup, and you're like "see ya!" and grapple away, then divekick back in for the punish.

FinalBoss_FGC

I just realized, thanks to his double-jump, he should be able to bait out wakeups really easily. Look like you're going into a crossover, they start to wakeup, and you're like "see ya!" and grapple away, then divekick back in for the punish.
Midscreen, jump over them on knockdown for okicross..once you get to the other side, close swing back to the other side, dive kick back to the other side then mb it because why tf not

FinalBoss_FGC

Um, what? I'm watching the footage for the first time and they literally say "he doesn't have a way to start a combo other than a bounce" (referring to f2/b2). Wtf? [edit: well now they are doing combos with him, so that was just factually incorrect information at the start of the stream...]

That's why I didn't describe the way he plays by what they said. From them he has long normals that don't combo except the pop-up string...but f3 and b3 combos from them...

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Not to harp on the same idea (just still theory fighting in my head), but go back to his original intro reel

The combo that starts 57 seconds in uses nothing but base moves. It's a meter burn divekick into B3 bounce, Shoulder charge, string into tentacles. That's already a pretty decent BnB, but consider if he had a drone stocked and could convert off the tentacles into another string. That's the good, good damage.

This is also an example of the divekick blowing up careless zoners. Considering how many zoning characters are in the game, that's a pretty good tool to have at his disposal. Not everyone is going to present as willingly as Green Arrow lining up a lazy Sunday aim, but the ability to keep zoners honest with scary mid-screen conversion potential, and quick call drones to cover his air-dash, and I think Brainiac will be able to get in fairly easily.

If nothing else, can you imagine how much Brainiac is going to school the typical online player? Random projectiles will lead to extended combo punishes, careless jump-ins will lead to full combo punishes. Probably be end up one of those weird characters that is considered mid-tier by the comp scene and OP online.

FinalBoss_FGC

Not to harp on the same idea (just still theory fighting in my head), but go back to his original intro reel

The combo that starts 57 seconds in uses nothing but base moves. It's a meter burn divekick into B3 bounce, Shoulder charge, string into tentacles. That's already a pretty decent BnB, but consider if he had a drone stocked and could convert off the tentacles into another string. That's the good, good damage.

This is also an example of the divekick blowing up careless zoners. Considering how many zoning characters are in the game, that's a pretty good tool to have at his disposal. Not everyone is going to present as willingly as Green Arrow lining up a lazy Sunday aim, but the ability to keep zoners honest with scary mid-screen conversion potential, and quick call drones to cover his air-dash, and I think Brainiac will be able to get in fairly easily.

If nothing else, can you imagine how much Brainiac is going to school the typical online player? Random projectiles will lead to extended combo punishes, careless jump-ins will lead to full combo punishes. Probably be end up one of those weird characters that is considered mid-tier by the comp scene and OP online.
...this makes me wonder if you can combo off of shoulder charge...that would change everything...because it doesn't knock back until you do the mb...it kinda knocks them up

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
...this makes me wonder if you can combo off of shoulder charge...that would change everything...because it doesn't knock back until you do the mb...it kinda knocks them up
It's sounding like his delayed drones will allow him to combo off of pretty much anything, and possibly make all of his blockstrings and specials either safe or advantage.

FinalBoss_FGC

It's sounding like his delayed drones will allow him to combo off of pretty much anything, and possibly make all of his blockstrings and specials either safe or advantage.
27:30 is what I'm talking about. It almost has juggle property, especially in the corner...maybe an IA divekick can hit...maybe a quick long range normal?