What's new

Brainiac Living Guide Thread

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sorry but i wasnt impressed with Brainiac. :(. I was disappointed that all of the cool moves are all geared based.
That's honestly probably a good thing for us Brainiac mains. If he's not apparently as good as other characters, people won't jump on the Brainiac train. But if his trait is as subtlely good as it seems, he could still end up being really powerful. A sleeper with powerful setups that no one plays? Yes please!

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
So I was thinking, what is he going to do against zoners? An option could be to call out trait and hold it. Then, use far air jump. Release the trait at the right time to cover a dive kick or a cross up jump2. 1,2,up2 seems like a good string to use after a cross up. Can't wait to put on the lab coat and try this out.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Thinking about all the possibilities with his ability to store a drone on deck. Wonder if it comes out fast enough to catch an opponent hit with an AA D2. I'm almost certain you'll be able to convert off an AA tentacle lash using a stocked drone. Meterless full combo air punishes? That will make it go from scary to jump on Brainiac to suicidal really damn quick. He'll be a walking no-fly zone.

Same with his divekick. I wonder how it will interact with airborne opponents. Will it drive them into the ground with Brainiac, or will it work like Kung Lao's where Brainiac gets to the ground fast enough to juggle the opponent. And if so, how fast? Enough to just barely catch them with a quick string, or enough time to get out the tentacle lash?

Imagine something like B3, J1/2->Divekick, tentacle lash, release drone, string+ender.

As disappointed as I was to see some of his best looking specials gated by gear (my beautiful laser) I'm getting really excited for the rest of his kit. Can't wait to answer some of these questions.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
So I was thinking, what is he going to do against zoners? An option could be to call out trait and hold it. Then, use far air jump. Release the trait at the right time to cover a dive kick or a cross up jump2. 1,2,up2 seems like a good string to use after a cross up. Can't wait to put on the lab coat and try this out.
That's kind of what I was thinking. And depending on the recovery and hit/block advantage of his drones, it could be really easy for him to win zoning trades and zip/divekick in.

i suggest doing what i did in injustice 1 and making trait left trigger / l2 if you use a control. I did than in injustice 1 for martian and zod and i never understood why anyone wouldn't prefer that to using it as b.

Killusion

Stream addict
His playstyle seems interesting for sure. Not sure how he is going to deal with zoning though. He had no armor right? Will divekick and air jump be enough? This game is going have some strong zoning, and I fear it's going to be his downfall.

Aramonde

Noob
As disappointed as I was to see some of his best looking specials gated by gear (my beautiful laser) I'm getting really excited for the rest of his kit. Can't wait to answer some of these questions.
Really sucks that laser is a gear move, it's easily one of the coolest special moves in the game
I had a feeling laser was a gear move when i first saw it. Im bummed Blanka parry is a gear move.

His playstyle seems interesting for sure. Not sure how he is going to deal with zoning though. He had no armor right? Will divekick and air jump be enough? This game is going have some strong zoning, and I fear it's going to be his downfall.
it depends, if he is able to quickly summon his trait without too poor recovery in some matchups after blocking a projectile, i will completely shift the neutral in his favor. Because he can hold it out. and release it to counter zone. At that point he has his dash, his charge mvoe, his air acrobatics and dive kick, and it's all covered by his trait.

He could also possibly mixup his traits to gain a zoning advantage. Traide with the horizontal, summon the overhead hold onto that release that.

There's a lot of possibility.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Does anyone know if he has to release block to release a stored drone?

Thefish

One Drink, Two Drink, Three Drink.. More.
Yeah I'll have to say he seemed a little underwhelming until the trait got shown. The potential in that will make him an absolute animal, once someone masters that trait you will be in some serious trouble versing him. Considering u can call out 4 one after another before it depletes and needs to recharge. He will always have one delayed after a combo ender and head back in for pressure. Fook me.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
He has a fast shoulder charge that reaches almost full screen.

He has the swing move to get over and in.

His drones can be on the screen more than most other projectiles.

He has 1/2 screen range normals.

His divekick+mb covers a large area on the screen.

I was hoping his mid hitting pillar would be base attack but he has all the tools right now to control the screen

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
Lol I hope so! Nothing like having the best air mobility, best footsie normals, a projectile that can always stay on the screen AND getting buffs!
AND CAN U TELL ME THE PURPOSE OF THE CRAZY TENTACLE MOVE WHEN HE SHOOTS THEM UP IN THE AIR ??? THIS CHARACTER HAS ZERO COMBO POTENTIAL. ITS TIME TO COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THIS CHARACTER IS NOT LOOKING GOOD.

Last edited:
Lol I hope so! Nothing like having the best air mobility, best footsie normals, a projectile that can always stay on the screen AND getting buffs!
What do you mean by a projectile that always stays on the screen? I mean his trait drones disappear if he gets hit, delaying it and doing another one right after sounds like a great zoning tool though

FinalBoss_FGC

What do you mean by a projectile that always stays on the screen? I mean his trait drones disappear if he gets hit, delaying it and doing another one right after sounds like a great zoning tool though
I mean he can nearly always have a drone active...sure it goes away if he's hit but he can send them more consistently than most characters

FinalBoss_FGC

LOL MORE CONSISTENTLY THAN MOST CHARACTERS THAT DONT HAVE A PROJECTILE MAYBE.
Except his trait has starting frames and he doesn't stay in active frame stance while it's in active frames...he can move freely while it's traveling. Most projectile users can't do that...they can't move until the projectile has made contact or left screen