What's new

Brainiac Living Guide Thread

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
D1 Specials were universal punishes.

Im worried about his punish game since he lacks grounded combos without his loaded trait (ive never played claw style either). Or is he suppose to be like doomsday but instead of canceling everything into earthshaker, its shoulder or tentacle push?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter

Im worried about his punish game since he lacks grounded combos without his loaded trait (ive never played claw style either). Or is he suppose to be like doomsday but instead of canceling everything into earthshaker, its shoulder or tentacle push?
I get the feeling he's going to play like a UMvC3 character with Sentinel assist. You just make sure to always cover your approach and strings with drones to make them safe/advantage and use them to extend combos and punish greedy blockstring pressure.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies

Yeah, it definitely seems like his power is locked in his trait. He won't be able to make huge plays without it, but suddenly becomes VERY scary when he has a drone on deck.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.

He does get a launcher off one of his strings w/o meter. It just doesn't lead to a B3. It will probably at least let you push them full screen then follow up with a drone setup. Or possibly do the meterless launcher then a mb divekick into a string that ends with a drone setup... IDK, the possibilities are endless with those drones.

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
@karaokelove whete is the "start a conversation " link? I can't find it on your profile
If you click the "envelope" icon next to your name in the top right, that's where "Start a Conversation" is, and you just have to manually enter my name. Kind of a weird design.

Reactions: jmt

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
All of the notable moves I noticed: (su = start-up, ba = block advantage, ha = hit advantage; mb = meter-burn)

7-frame standing 1

7-frame low

9-frame mid

His amazing d2 is a 10-frame mid; it's -19, but cancelable

b2 is an 18-frame cancelable high that hits twice and is only -3 on block, so may be good for blowing up armor

b3 is -3 ba, 26 su; f3 is +3 ba, 29 su

His j2 (tentacle ball) has 19 active frames

12u2 is a 7-frame launcher that's -15 on block, so good for confirmable punishes

no neutral or plus strings

air-swing starts up in 1 frame

Tendril Thrash 14-frame, Unblockable, 35 ha

Dox Drill 20 su, 9 active, -15ba, 27ha; mb is +1ba; possibly a good option for meaties, though I think he's going to have almost too many oki options already

Divekick 5 su, -15 ba, 7 ha; mb -8 ba, 56 ha

Charge 13 su, -13 ba, 44 ha; mb -3 ba

Drone: 10 su, -3 ba, 10 ha

Drone Bomb: 81 su, 70 ba!!! 81 ha!!!

Overall, he has a ton of mids and low-starters, but no overheads other than f3 and Divekick. It seems like he'll be opening up opponents with drone block-string pressure, low pressure into yolo divekicks, and whiff punishing with his superior range and footsies. Most of his strings and specials have enough hit advantage for drone setups.

I was worried about how he would deal with being pressured, as he's described as rather slow, but you really can't beat having a 7-frame safe (-4) low-starter...

Last edited:

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
@jmt Do you know if any of his normals are multi-hitting? It looks like a lot of them use multiple tentacles at once. Just wondering how well he'll be able to deal with armor.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
He has a fast low hitting poke tho
I was worried about how he would deal with being pressured, as he's described as rather slow, but you really can't beat having a 7-frame safe (-4) low-starter...
It hitting low is a lot less relevant on defense. And a 7 frame poke is not that rare, and is no substitute for armor. When other characters have both its safe to say defense is a weak spot for him. Which is okay.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
It hitting low is a lot less relevant on defense. And a 7 frame poke is not that rare, and is no substitute for armor. When other characters have both its safe to say defense is a weak spot for him. Which is okay.
I'm not saying it isnt? I'm also not saying it's a lost hope

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Oh definitely, he's just not as screwed as I thought he'd be.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I'm not saying it isnt? I'm also not saying it's a lost hope
You said "he has a good poke though" and elaborated no further, so that's what I responded to.

My question to anyone who has the game - how easy is it to antiair his flying mixes? Seems like using Brainiacs tentacle flay or whatever other dope antiair some other characters might have could completely nullify his offense. Maybe certain strings give enough hit advantage to safely mix? Win the neutral then go into set play?

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
You said "he has a good poke though" and elaborated no further, so that's what I responded to.

My question to anyone who has the game - how easy is it to antiair his flying mixes? Seems like using Brainiacs tentacle flay or whatever other dope antiair some other characters might have could completely nullify his offense. Maybe certain strings give enough hit advantage to safely mix? Win the neutral then go into set play?
I imagine his j2 will beat anything without a disjointed hitbox, unless his tentacles have hurtboxes.