What's new

Blue Beetle General Discussion Thread

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Hawkgirl had a way better version of shield bash in terms of chip and plus frames and she could do it in the air and it didn't get changed. That's the last thing I could see being changed. He'll probably stay relatively the same over the life of the game anyway. He seems like he'll have Hawkgirl syndrome of getting two changes over the life of the game and nothing over the top.
Yeah but hawkgirl is a dumb bird lady that no one seriously played. We're talking about Jaime here.

I've been experimenting lots with using fly to use max-distance j1 as footsie tool. I think it's pretty good, despite it being a bit of a narrow use case.

I'm actually not sure if I was able to convert off the above or just was too slow on the timing of it

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I've been experimenting lots with using fly to use max-distance j1 as footsie tool. I think it's pretty good, despite it being a bit of a narrow use case.
I'm actually not sure if I was able to convert off the above or just was too slow on the timing of it
I don't think BB can fly to convert, if you had landed and buffered in a string that'll do, f2 or b1 might hit at that distance. At the very least you can buffer bf3 since the hitbox and frames are glorious. Max range j1 is a smart idea for a footsie tool, I'm stealing that.

Espio

Kokomo
What I currently like about the way the meta has evolved for Beetle is people are always so content to block overhead to low so I've been exploiting that with people who know the match up to abuse back 2,3. Great corner escape and even though it's like 8% damage that quickly adds up over time. Three of those is a combo and it gives you good spacing plus corner escape.

People would rather take that than the combo but it adds up fairly quickly with the zoning, safe block chip etc. Not that you should stop doing low stab after back 2, but the more variables you add, the better. Don't let people get comfortable with how to block you. Another alternative if you feel like spending two bars is Back 2, overhead bounce cancel (a lot of people know this, but I catch people who I've been grinding mus with since release with it, it's a safer more rewarding mix up option too if used smart/sparingly).

Another thing about Beetle is his walk speed is so good for forward/backward movement, I've been able to walk out of pressure/cross up set ups with it reliably. I've been playing some other characters on the side for fun and it blows my mind how much easier it is to move with him than some others. I feel like tinkering with other characters really gives you perspective on things you take for granted.

I need help in the Stupidgirl matchup. I don't even know how to walk forward against her. I can just get lasored and can't react to it. And oh man, her back walkspeed is soooo good.

But yeah, I feel like I get zoned out hard in this matchup. So I have to play aggressively, which then makes it feel like her strings get their awesome whiff punishing capabilities and don't need to worry so much about how negative they are, because forcing me to go in means she can always tag me making a mistake on my way there.

Pretty lost on this one. Is there any high level footage of this matchup to learn from?

I'd look up 'espio' on youtube/in the tym video thread. He's a very safe and steady BB. probably good to watch how he deals with zoning.

I also struggle with super girl. But I d2 that dumb teleport erry time. so that helps against the scrubs. I make quick mini steps forward into crouch A LOT! that air laser isn't an over head, so just duck low when trying to get in. no reason to walk away...

Espio

Kokomo
I need help in the Stupidgirl matchup. I don't even know how to walk forward against her. I can just get lasored and can't react to it. And oh man, her back walkspeed is soooo good.

But yeah, I feel like I get zoned out hard in this matchup. So I have to play aggressively, which then makes it feel like her strings get their awesome whiff punishing capabilities and don't need to worry so much about how negative they are, because forcing me to go in means she can always tag me making a mistake on my way there.

Pretty lost on this one. Is there any high level footage of this matchup to learn from?
Atai versus Dink.

If you direct me to who is giving you trouble, I can probably share some too. I don't run into many Supergirl players anymore, but it sounds like you're playing very impatiently.

You don't have to play aggressively. You can play in footsie range versus her. Fast walk speed just means she walks herself to the corner even quicker as a result too. Beetle's walk speed is really good too.

Beetle can contest Superman in footsies so he can definitely keep up with hers. Atai uses trait a lot, but you can also establish a mind game with your projectile since the recovery is godlike to bait teles. I like chipping away at her over time and doing his safe low damage mix on her. Her projectiles knockdown, but they still lose in damage trades and you can always duck the next laser too.

I also recommend if you block a tele to make her hurt super hard whether you do a background bounce or spend two bars on a bounce cancel, give her a reason to be super discouraged about being reckless with teleport. Her zoning isn't the kind of zoning that blows him up, she has counter zoning type of zoning. It's not super oppressive, it is merely intended to keep zoners in check in concert with tele.

I don't get how people wouldn't have to worry about how negative they are, sometimes you just simply have to block and counter someone. She's still negative 5 after most of her options with back 1 and breath. The safer specials with pushback have a gap in most cases.

Thanks espio, I will try to punish those teleports much harder! I should go for that 111mb bounce cancel as a punish more often.... but as mista said, my thumb is glued to that d2 input.

Last edited:
Does Beetle outzone Fate and Cyborg or was I just not playing a good enough player?

Had a set last night and he had to basically walk in to me with both

Espio

Kokomo
Does Beetle outzone Fate and Cyborg or was I just not playing a good enough player?

Had a set last night and he had to basically walk in to me with both
If you get a lifelead on Cyborg, it's definitely a problem for him. You also disrupt his air zoning due to our speed of ground projectiles. Fate is variable, but I don't play him enough to say too much.

CountHyuga

Old man Hyuga.
Hi. A quick question about a blockstring. I met a bb who got me to block for a long time with a series of 13 fly j1 repetition. It seemed so tight that I couldn't even release bats to punish. It was real or I got gimmicked?

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Hi. A quick question about a blockstring. I met a bb who got me to block for a long time with a series of 13 fly j1 repetition. It seemed so tight that I couldn't even release bats to punish. It was real or I got gimmicked?
That is pretty much a gimmick. The thing to watch out for is what jump in they are doing.
If you see them doing a 13 fc d1 which is the jump one cancel as soon as the jump 1 hits on block the only thing they can actually jail is a d1, d1,3,2 so basically mids if they start with a high string after the jump one you can just poke out of it.
If however they are using jump 2 over and over instead which is the kick you can actually just d2 them out of that one.

It can be tricky since Beetle can mix it up with a cross up a grab more flight cancels etc but it is very gimmicky.
Just practice a bit reacting to what jump in they use off of there Flight Cancel's.

CountHyuga

Old man Hyuga.
Dj1 I am sure. since I play beetle a little myself, I know it's -14 and I thought I could react. Instead I kept blocking. The only thing I could do it's pushblock.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Dj1 I am sure. since I play beetle a little myself, I know it's -14 and I thought I could react. Instead I kept blocking. The only thing I could do it's pushblock.
The dj1 off of fc you can def poke as you said its really minus and the 13 loop starts with a high.
As I said you just gotta see what jump in they are using and react accordingly.

CountHyuga

Old man Hyuga.
Visual is always better. I am astounded beetle has such an effective pressure and yet very few people (in my experience at least) knows about it. Thanks for the heads up.

Visual is always better. I am astounded beetle has such an effective pressure and yet very few people (in my experience at least) knows about it. Thanks for the heads up.
I love jumping over, fly cancel in the corner, then dropping down with a falling 2. Its misleading, as you land outside the corner. And I go right into this. If I mess em up I get a full combo. IF they block it, well, we are talking about how good of a block string it is. They really have to tech roll after df1 or bf2 enders in the corner.... otherwise it don't look good for them.

Here is a little corner set-up I just stumbled upon. Not sure if this is new or not, but it definitely seems useful and requires little no no resources.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Apparently...this major Buff Blue Beetle is getting gives me a reason to play him. I hope this patch comes very soon.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
What buff? Also start playing him now regardless of buffs, he's really fun.
He's supposed to receive a buff where he will always have his blade's out now and his new trait will be his projectile attack. THIS will make him REALLY fun to play now because I hate changing between the two.