What's new

Blue Beetle General Discussion Thread

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Beetle Discord is here if anyone is really interested, although it's kinda inactive. The link only lasts for a day, and it's a good place for some fun chat.

https://discord.gg/zNeZ66

I was also very curious about the Aquaman matchup as I know Blue Beetle has a few ways to punish Tentacle Strike, including f23 and bf3 in blade stance.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Beetle Discord is here if anyone is really interested, although it's kinda inactive. The link only lasts for a day, and it's a good place for some fun chat.

I was also very curious about the Aquaman matchup as I know Blue Beetle has a few ways to punish Tentacle Strike, including f23 and bf3 in blade stance.
This match up is about who can gain the life lead first. Most of the time as Beetle you will be using your flight cancels and air projectiles to zone Aquaman. Its best to keep him at long-mid range and make him come to you.
One thing to remember is you will have plenty of meter as Beetle, this is great because pushblocking is very important in this match up. The bf3 punish in blade stance is good but remember your positioning if you are trying to push him to the corner it will chuck them away from it however if hes coming in on you and he try's to tentacle strike using the blade stance bf3 is perfect.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
This match up is about who can gain the life lead first. Most of the time as Beetle you will be using your flight cancels and air projectiles to zone Aquaman. Its best to keep him at long-mid range and make him come to you.
One thing to remember is you will have plenty of meter as Beetle, this is great because pushblocking is very important in this match up. The bf3 punish in blade stance is good but remember your positioning if you are trying to push him to the corner it will chuck them away from it however if hes coming in on you and he try's to tentacle strike using the blade stance bf3 is perfect.
I see. Blue Beetle might win this Matchup if played smartly. He almost always has meter to pushblock Trident Rush and he can punish Tentacle Strike really well. Is there anything Beetle struggles with besides being out-damaged?

Sesal Snow

I see. Blue Beetle might win this Matchup if played smartly. He almost always has meter to pushblock Trident Rush and he can punish Tentacle Strike really well. Is there anything Beetle struggles with besides being out-damaged?
This is the match up I have played most and at them moment I think its a 5/5. Aquaman as you said has the damage advantage one combo from him could be the equivalent of 2 from you. He also has a lot better normal's than Beetle further reaching and better frames. This can be hard to deal with since the only way to counter his really is to go into blade stance but I believe that cannon stance is the stance you need to be in for the zoning. The only time I switch to blade is off a confirm into a setup like if you confirm b2 df1mb 3 bf2 f2 4 then you can got for that amazing oki game.
The fact that Aquaman also has great projectiles means if he does land a hit you either get knocked down from the trident through or you take a 25% full screen combo from his MB Tentacle strike. Which again does a lot more damage than your projectiles.
Another thing Aquaman can actually trait out of your df1MB and then pushblock so he does not take the absurd amount of chip.
Both characters have great options in this MU so at the moment I am not to sure who's favor its in but as I said I do believe its a 5/5 at the moment.

I shall try and get some game play of my beetle vs aquaman to.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
This is the match up I have played most and at them moment I think its a 5/5. Aquaman as you said has the damage advantage one combo from him could be the equivalent of 2 from you. He also has a lot better normal's than Beetle further reaching and better frames. This can be hard to deal with since the only way to counter his really is to go into blade stance but I believe that cannon stance is the stance you need to be in for the zoning. The only time I switch to blade is off a confirm into a setup like if you confirm b2 df1mb 3 bf2 f2 4 then you can got for that amazing oki game.
The fact that Aquaman also has great projectiles means if he does land a hit you either get knocked down from the trident through or you take a 25% full screen combo from his MB Tentacle strike. Which again does a lot more damage than your projectiles.
Another thing Aquaman can actually trait out of your df1MB and then pushblock so he does not take the absurd amount of chip.
Both characters have great options in this MU so at the moment I am not to sure who's favor its in but as I said I do believe its a 5/5 at the moment.

I shall try and get some game play of my beetle vs aquaman to.
This is honestly the most insteresting MU in the game and I would love to see this at a high level playstyle.

Espio

Kokomo
Some simple pressure to think about:

I was labbing jump 3 frames against reversals like Cheetah's 8 frame DP for example where you can get a throw that beats it, down 1 etc so you can condition this way to set up 50/50's, stagger pressure etc.I also like to do jump 3 shield bash because it's gapless and if people try to armor, let go of block etc, they will get hit.

You can also make the jumps ambiguous as you all know so there's that guess and you can convert for modest 200 ish ranged damage(more for a bar). If you're wrong, you can mix them up so it's a fun, simple pressure meta to think about overall.

This post is more for simple pressure idea that are low difficulty/execution.

Then there's the spacing/neutral idea I'm playing around with in my head currently.

My idea is around setting up more neutral/whiff punishing scenarios with Back 1 on block since it's neutral to bait a whiff and follow up with forward 2, 3 into full combo or what have you.

I'm reworking how I play him right now overall.

Look in the BB gameplay footage thread. Espio has a great set against an Aqua man
I am free lul.

Sesal Snow

Some simple pressure to think about:

I was labbing jump 3 frames against reversals like Cheetah's 8 frame DP for example where you can get a throw that beats it, down 1 etc so you can condition this way to set up 50/50's, stagger pressure etc.I also like to do jump 3 shield bash because it's gapless and if people try to armor, let go of block etc, they will get hit.

You can also make the jumps ambiguous as you all know so there's that guess and you can convert for modest 200 ish ranged damage(more for a bar). If you're wrong, you can mix them up so it's a fun, simple pressure meta to think about overall.

This post is more for simple pressure idea that are low difficulty/execution.

Then there's the spacing/neutral idea I'm playing around with in my head currently.

My idea is around setting up more neutral/whiff punishing scenarios with Back 1 on block since it's neutral to bait a whiff and follow up with forward 2, 3 into full combo or what have you.

I'm reworking how I play him right now overall.
Yeah that jump 3 pressure is nice I to resort to the shield bash but as someone mentioned in a previous thread (Forgot who sorry) you can also do a jump 3 and cancel it into his df1 meaning a overhead low situation on block and it converts into a combo on hit. This is unsafe of course but it adds to your pressure because if you know they are going to be blocking consistently you can go into the j3 b2 df1 / j3 b23 or even the j3 shield bash as you mentioned. Just some more ways to open up the opponent and deal some pressure. The flight cancels play a great part in this also if you flight cancel a j2 or j3 into a cross over jump in then it becomes even more tricky :)

Again an amazing way to punish people with the b1 I have messed around with this a little and also the f2 stagger. f2 being -5 alot of people will obviously try to poke so if you start to read this then you can go for a neutral jump / instant flight cancel into the j2 db2 j2 f23 f3 j2 3bf3 combo etc.

Espio

Kokomo
An observation I've been making about Blue Beetle: I feel like his armor breaking is awesome, like he usually shreds MB back/forward 3 armor reliably with normals canceled into shield bash especially if you're pressuring someone on knockdown.

Also, any thoughts on Firestorm versus Blue Beetle? I think BB does super good versus him since he can bypass a lot of his ground zoning game and our footsies easily keep up with him on top of the fact that MB forward 3 from Firestorm whiffs on shield bash push back.

He can obviously regulate Beetle in the air if he is careless with flight, but it's more of a keeping Beetle honest type of thing as opposed to being a huge deal. Without his air torpedo, Beetle would probably rock him pretty free since he has limited answers to the pressure, zoning and air mobility otherwise.

When you get a lifelead on Firestorm, it's super hard for him to come back from my observations too.

Can I get a link? I feel like it's inactive cause a lot of us aren't there. I probably won't post hella, but I might as well join.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Honestly the Discord is great for quick chat, but it's really communitive. However, it's not like we're hiding tech or any of that nonsense that TYM was throwing fits about earlier.

I'll post it again here @Espio it only lasts for a day.

https://discord.gg/R5r7gQ

How does blue beetle do in the Deadshot matchup? I ask because I'm looking for a secondary, and an the Deadshot vs. Cyborg matchup is pure buttcheeks.

Espio

Kokomo
How does blue beetle do in the Deadshot matchup? I ask because I'm looking for a secondary, and an the Deadshot vs. Cyborg matchup is pure buttcheeks.
You should look elsewhere lol. Blue Beetle might do better than Cyborg, but you're still gonna be struggling. He outzones you and has better offense to boot. You might wanna go with a counter zoner instead of someone who still has to play Deadshot's game. You have a Cheetah, try her even.

Sesal Snow

I think Beetle is a solid pick against Deadshot but not the best.
You can bait out when he does the rifle or mbs the straight shot and just air dash in for a punish.
Other than that you have to walk/roll in until mid range thats when your projectiles come into play.
As @Espio said though there are a lot better picks for counter zoning in the game.

Espio

Kokomo
I just wanted to say that the Blue Beetle community is awesome, I think this might be my favorite character community I've ever been apart of. Even when people disagree everyone is super nice and respectful.

Also super excited for Young Justice's revival, I like that he's prominent in the Teen Titans movies, but I feel like in a show you could get more character development for him and more story lines.

Sesal Snow

I just wanted to say that the Blue Beetle community is awesome, I think this might be my favorite character community I've ever been apart of. Even when people disagree everyone is super nice and respectful.

Also super excited for Young Justice's revival, I like that he's prominent in the Teen Titans movies, but I feel like in a show you could get more character development for him and more story lines.
I can't wait for Young justice again I am just about to re-watch the last season's to prepare thy body.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I wish the WW community was like the BB community. I envy you guys.
I don't even check those threads any more. Even akro, her loudest supporter, just has vids of him calling everything else cheap and saying all of her matchups are bad when he's actually playing.

I stay here where everyone is having fun and we keep trying new weird resets.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I think it helps when there's enough level headed/reasonable folks in the group that can call it like it is - we all know BB isn't top 5 for example.

But with tech, knowledge/understanding of the character being as forthcoming as they are, it's hard pressed to call him bottom 5 in the same breath.

It also helps that Blue Beetle is just hella fun to play as.

Last edited:

MILE_HIGH_CLUB

FREEDOM'S LABORATORY

I totally agree! you guys/gals really are the best group on TYM. everyone is mainly having fun with this Blue Bug, barely any complaints awesome group of ppl