What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The community has chosen Skarlet for me.

so I ask...where the HELL do I start with this high-execution character?
her most effective tactic is footsies with red dash into slide. learn how to space that out well. use dagger cancels to make them block then cancel into rd slide. also learn one combo for basic damage for each starter.

armor upslash start up (or downslash)
23 dagger cancel (or rd down slash) 112 reset (23 slide)

b11f4 starter:
23 dagger cancel (rd down slash) 112 (23 slide)

f212 1+2 starter:
rd upslash f4 dagger cancel 112 (23 slide)

Keep it simple and space with daggers and slides...then if you get a chance to armor or pressure use an above combo.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Look at my combo thread. Practicing combos will teach you a lot. and what fly said.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ryublaze

Noob
Raptor its time 4 u and me to get some more games in my friend, need to see some more tactics since im too lazy to read some stuff on here i learn by being on the field rather then just reading lol, gotta be rdy 4 mlg
I don't think I can play online for a while cuz I got a new tv and everything is so laggy that I have to input everything like 1 second earlier than I usually do so it's pretty much unplayable for me. I've been losing to randoms online even when I use Sub-Zero. So yeah maybe in like 4 weeks I can get my old tv back or something and be able to play again. Good luck at MLG Dallas.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Raptor its time 4 u and me to get some more games in my friend, need to see some more tactics since im too lazy to read some stuff on here i learn by being on the field rather then just reading lol, gotta be rdy 4 mlg
too bad your not on xbox or me and ninj could take turns tapping dat ass.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey there fellas i need some help testing some stuff, i hope you guys can give it a hand.

Can you guys try to punish Jax dash punch and nightwolf shoudler with 212 after you duck under it. I did on jax yesterday but i wasn't so sure if smith blocked when i punished him.
If it works, maybe some info on frame data to know how many frames we have to make it happen would be pretty nice

RedRaptor10, Ninj, L0rdoftheFLY, AssassiN[be]

AssassiN

Noob
Hey there fellas i need some help testing some stuff, i hope you guys can give it a hand.

Can you guys try to punish Jax dash punch and nightwolf shoudler with 212 after you duck under it. I did on jax yesterday but i wasn't so sure if smith blocked when i punished him.
If it works, maybe some info on frame data to know how many frames we have to make it happen would be pretty nice

Easiest way is D1, US :p.
Don't have anyone to test this sort of stuff out with, so can't really help you out with that.

Ninj

It depends on what the recovery frames are for Jax's flying punch and NW's normal shoulder. Somberness is probably the guy to ask, unless someone can test it (I can't).

I don't post much, But I'm not gonna lie I stole all your tech haha.

I'm super leveling skarlet, I use to be a jade main, became a Ermac main. And I think I want Skarlet to be my true main, and Ermac a secondary.

I play a bunch of other characters at moderate level, but only enough to give my offline community practice against matchups.

Been using her as a side character for the last couple months. but putting her front and center now.

When my skarlet is close to 95% consistent with tech. I'll post some vids and ask for advice.

I love her pressure, it's really confusing for the opponent. They don't know if they should poke slide, because I might commit to a 4, or a B2. or F2.

EX dagger cancels, random EX overheads mid string if I think they are blocking low.

Doing 50/50's with her F3,3 slide. Sometimes F3,EXoverhead.

I believer her only weakness is also her greatest strength. Her EX moves are great, but because they build her game. your tools are really dependant on the meter you have. when I have to breaker is a sad day for me.

I got 5 months to prepare for Final Round.

Get your lube ready.

ryublaze

Noob
I don't post much, But I'm not gonna lie I stole all your tech haha.

I'm super leveling skarlet, I use to be a jade main, became a Ermac main. And I think I want Skarlet to be my true main, and Ermac a secondary.

I play a bunch of other characters at moderate level, but only enough to give my offline community practice against matchups.

Been using her as a side character for the last couple months. but putting her front and center now.

When my skarlet is close to 95% consistent with tech. I'll post some vids and ask for advice.

I love her pressure, it's really confusing for the opponent. They don't know if they should poke slide, because I might commit to a 4, or a B2. or F2.

EX dagger cancels, random EX overheads mid string if I think they are blocking low.

Doing 50/50's with her F3,3 slide. Sometimes F3,EXoverhead.

I believer her only weakness is also her greatest strength. Her EX moves are great, but because they build her game. your tools are really dependant on the meter you have. when I have to breaker is a sad day for me.

I got 5 months to prepare for Final Round.

Get your lube ready.
Glad you are picking up Skarlet. ;) Just a couple of things though: Regular Down Slash can be fuzzy guarded, and Up Slash is decent if you want to be less risky (not burning a bar for EX Down Slash) but will only get them if they try to poke out. Also F3,3 and slide isn't a 50/50 and neither is F3, EX Down Slash. But you are correct that she is most deadly with meter. Good luck at Final Round.

Glad you are picking up Skarlet. ;) Just a couple of things though: Regular Down Slash can be fuzzy guarded, and Up Slash is decent if you want to be less risky (not burning a bar for EX Down Slash) but will only get them if they try to poke out. Also F3,3 and slide isn't a 50/50 and neither is F3, EX Down Slash. But you are correct that she is most deadly with meter. Good luck at Final Round.
I know about regular downslash, only use it in combos like when I anti air with standing 2.

I think you overestimate people's ability to react to everything. Paper theology is always good, so when something doesn't work I know why. for instance like when Scorpion does jip, and tries to do his 50/50 immediately, You can fuzzy guard both options if you time it right as long as scorpion sets a rhythm before hand.

I'm gonna throw out a EX downslash anytime I think they're gonna crouch block during pressure? obviously after some sort of conditioning.

Is all I was getting at. and F3,3 D4, D3, Slide enough times and they're gonna wanna go low eventually. (Most guys in my crew block low in general though).

I know you can deep in jump kick dagger, into 2,3 dagger cancel 112

But is there anything you can do off max range JiK with Db1? all I seem to get after it is a D1 into nothing because they hit the ground too quickly. even upslash cancelled off D1 is too slow.

It just feels like some sort of magic should happen there.

ryublaze

Noob
I know about regular downslash, only use it in combos like when I anti air with standing 2.

I think you overestimate people's ability to react to everything. Paper theology is always good, so when something doesn't work I know why. for instance like when Scorpion does jip, and tries to do his 50/50 immediately, You can fuzzy guard both options if you time it right as long as scorpion sets a rhythm before hand.

I'm gonna throw out a EX downslash anytime I think they're gonna crouch block during pressure? obviously after some sort of conditioning.

Is all I was getting at. and F3,3 D4, D3, Slide enough times and they're gonna wanna go low eventually. (Most guys in my crew block low in general though).

I know you can deep in jump kick dagger, into 2,3 dagger cancel 112

But is there anything you can do off max range JiK with Db1? all I seem to get after it is a D1 into nothing because they hit the ground too quickly. even upslash cancelled off D1 is too slow.

It just feels like some sort of magic should happen there.
You should avoid F3,3 because it doesn't grant any mix-up, it's negative on block, doesn't give enough cancel advantage on block, and doesn't really do much on hit. I don't think you can do anything with close dagger from a max range jump kick.

You should avoid F3,3 because it doesn't grant any mix-up, it's negative on block, doesn't give enough cancel advantage on block, and doesn't really do much on hit. I don't think you can do anything with close dagger from a max range jump kick.
thanks for the advice but I'm not gonna leave any string out until maximum testing. on hit I have advantage. and granted another round of pressure w/o the use of meter no? you guys might have already explored most of this, but maybe I'll come at it with a different angle. F3,3 EX slide if I think they block low and try to poke after? Burning meter yes? but meh, I'm enjoying the experimentation.

I've also experimenting with the fact that most of the time when I use B1,1,F4 on block is when I think they're gonna crouch block. (and I'm not sure so I'm going the safe route aka I didn't do EX overhead)

Do you use B1,F3 for anything? I know they could easily just block high during this string, to avoid any real mix ups because the only other mix up transition would be to try and randomly throw in a slide, 4. or B1,1,B4.

which seeing the slide they could fuzz low, then high.

but if you NEVER use, they will play lazy. And just stay blocking low.

I say perhaps use it once ina blue moon to keep them on their toes and working on their block?

Just some random questions/observations.

Correct anything you see fit.

ryublaze

Noob
thanks for the advice but I'm not gonna leave any string out until maximum testing. on hit I have advantage. and granted another round of pressure w/o the use of meter no? you guys might have already explored most of this, but maybe I'll come at it with a different angle. F3,3 EX slide if I think they block low and try to poke after? Burning meter yes? but meh, I'm enjoying the experimentation.

I've also experimenting with the fact that most of the time when I use B1,1,F4 on block is when I think they're gonna crouch block. (and I'm not sure so I'm going the safe route aka I didn't do EX overhead)

Do you use B1,F3 for anything? I know they could easily just block high during this string, to avoid any real mix ups because the only other mix up transition would be to try and randomly throw in a slide, 4. or B1,1,B4.

which seeing the slide they could fuzz low, then high.

but if you NEVER use, they will play lazy. And just stay blocking low.

I say perhaps use it once ina blue moon to keep them on their toes and working on their block?

Just some random questions/observations.

Correct anything you see fit.
F3,3 EX Red Dash might work. I personally wouldn't use it because meter can be spent on better things and I'm not sure if the opponent can jump out, and the string itself F3 is too slow at 19 frames.

B1,F3 may work once if the opponent doesn't know the string or isn't paying attention I don't think it's really worth it. It's highly punishable on block, and on hit only grants a knockdown.

F3,3 EX Red Dash might work. I personally wouldn't use it because meter can be spent on better things and I'm not sure if the opponent can jump out, and the string itself F3 is too slow at 19 frames.

B1,F3 may work once if the opponent doesn't know the string or isn't paying attention I don't think it's really worth it. It's highly punishable on block, and on hit only grants a knockdown.
1.) Yeah, but I'll mess around with F3,3 regardless. I just don't want to play too basic, know what i mean? The more I leave my opponent to think about in my eyes, the more I can overwhelm them.

theonly reason I wanna test stuff out further. I'll report any cool findings once I play our next offline session.

2.) yeah I agree, But I mean even someone who's aware of it, never notices you using it. may open himself up to it. but ya that's what I ment by using it once in a blue moon.

For example, when I do Ermac's 1,2,1. If they move immediately after to do something, I can lift them. But if they keep blocking, and I lift? I get punished. but if they keep blocking I get more pressure.

Obviously in a situation like that I want to RARELY use lift after it. As it's risky. But if I put it on the screen once, while I'm comfortable I might hit him. That's jsut another thing they have to think about. Even if I never use it again.

know what I mean?

Mosp

Noob

212 is definitely fast enough to punish NW shoulder charge but I'm not sure about Jax's dash punch, I think it's possible but a little harder to time it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
212 is definitely fast enough to punish NW shoulder charge but I'm not sure about Jax's dash punch, I think it's possible but a little harder to time it.
i'll find out soon enough, my KE for PS arrives today hopefully

Critical-Limit - F33 on block puts skarlet on huge disadvantage, and the cancel advantage of it its only +10 on block, someone who is used to fight skarlet and see this setup most of the time and know how to react it, will possibly punish so be careful with this string and F312.
However you said:
I believer her only weakness is also her greatest strength.
I agree with you on the green highlight letters, me and RedRaptor10 we're discussing a tech in private a few days ago about this statement

To answer the question of jaxs dash being punished by 212 string yes because i have done it before, as for critical limit listen bro all skarlets tools are useful 4 mixups, u just have to use them according to ur opponents matchup experience, feel them out when u fight, i usually like to start with the basics and see if they fall for that, i dont recommend going into advanced mixups unless ur opponent is good at dealing with the basics, only string u should not be using at anytime is b2 4

Ninj

SaJa yes using meter in a combo is never worth it, ever. Anytime you could use meter in a combo, you could gain more in chip damage and gaining meter back by jailing your opponent with ex dagger into b1,1,f4.

SaJa yes using meter in a combo is never worth it, ever. Anytime you could use meter in a combo, you could gain more in chip damage and gaining meter back by jailing your opponent with ex dagger into b1,1,f4.

I disagree, when u fight someone who has the skarlet level down pact to a tee, u will come to realize u have to start doing risky stuff u never thought u would have to do with skarlet just to open someone up and and this requires meter bro trust me, sure skarlet has pressure but at the end of the day, when its constantly blocked and u cant get an opening and truely do big damage, n u fall behind because u lack doing so, u result to more advanced more risky stratagies, which requires the used of meter.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I disagree, when u fight someone who has the skarlet level down pact to a tee, u will come to realize u have to start doing risky stuff u never thought u would have to do with skarlet just to open someone up and and this requires meter bro trust me, sure skarlet has pressure but at the end of the day, when its constantly blocked and u cant get an opening and truely do big damage, n u fall behind because u lack doing so, u result to more advanced more risky stratagies, which requires the used of meter.
footsies out rank risky tactics IMO. But I understand the rare use of an ex overhead. Honestly she can take so much damage off of chip, one of my goals is to force them to block the whole time...I want them to block. This makes her life soooooo easy.

Risky tactics can also be considered good reads. if it is a good read it isnt really risky.

Lol why not risk an ex over head? I mean hell u can get punished either way if u try regular slash, only difference is ex is very hard to react too, so i say save the ex overhead for ppl who know the matchups too good or if u know for a fact u have a good read, high risk high reward.