What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
You can combo after lightning storm? Maybe I named the wrong move, I'm talking about the one where he aims his arms at you and electrocutes the opponent knocking them down.
Ok, I thought thats the one you were talking about. Lets call that Zap from now on lol

He can't combo after it. It does work but once again I do belive it can be poked out of. (on block)

On hit you want to go for more damaging options.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Ah another good idea.

So lets look at some string mixups. 22 is negative on block 22b1 is negative on block B1 is positive, but there is no mixups it's either b1 or your negative. B23 is + on block and is good, B2 by itself is negative. 1 is good, but 90 percent of the time your opponent is going to crouch block (it's a back to block game). So it becomes almost usless.

I am not trying to be a negative nancy lol It's great having this convo and trying to flesh it out because when I get home that's exactly what I plan on doing.
IF IT'S NEGATIVE THEN CANCEL IT SON! You have so many things that you can do to keep people in check, not only do you have two or three specials to keep them from getting out of line, but you can all just meter burn cancel any string you want for two bars and get super advantage for a free block string. Black Adam doesn't need continuous pressure, and it really doesn't seem to be what he was designed to do. Like most characters in this game, you have tools to help you if the situation arises, but it isn't you main focus as this character. You don't need to pressure all the time anyways. If you are a little negative or can't keep the pressure up, then just back dash out and throw your LOW projectiles lol. I'm not seeing where he is having issues man. Just because he can't keep pressure up forever doesn't mean it's a problem. :p

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
IF IT'S NEGATIVE THEN CANCEL IT SON! You have so many things that you can do to keep people in check, not only do you have two or three specials to keep them from getting out of line, but you can all just meter burn cancel any string you want for two bars and get super advantage for a free block string. Black Adam doesn't need continuous pressure, and it really doesn't seem to be what he was designed to do. Like most characters in this game, you have tools to help you if the situation arises, but it isn't you main focus as this character. You don't need to pressure all the time anyways. If you are a little negative or can't keep the pressure up, then just back dash out and throw your LOW projectiles lol. I'm not seeing where he is having issues man. Just because he can't keep pressure up forever doesn't mean it's a problem. :p
No, I am saying he doesn't have a solution to pokes. You never want to lightning from midscreen. It's a free jump in punish and you can do it on reaction. I don't know. I like to play it safe. Black adams special cancels are safe but still negative so your pressure ends. Then you have to worry about getting poked or jumped on lol.

If I solved the jumping issue I would be more content with the poking one. If I solved the poking issue I would be more content with the jumping one :p.

I mean you can always spend a bar and go for the overhead blowup.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
You could use d1 into that lighting storm to condition people to respect it. It combos on hit and is only -3 on block with some pushback.

Will you be on PSN today? I need to get more practice with BA since right now all I'm managing to land is random 20% combos, and 500 lighting/divekicks.
That's exactly what I'm saying! Thank you sir. Keep them in check and make them respect options, then you can contiue pressure if necessary. However I don't think that is the character's primary focus tbh.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
No, I am saying he doesn't have a solution to pokes. You never want to lightning from midscreen. It's a free jump in punish and you can do it on reaction. I don't know. I like to play it safe. Black adams special cancels are safe but still negative so your pressure ends. Then you have to worry about getting poked or jumped on lol.

If I solved the jumping issue I would be more content with the poking one. If I solved the poking issue I would be more content with the jumping one :p.

Let me ask you this. How are you starting your pressure as black adam?

As it stands, the opponent can jump from one screen to the next almost a little to easily. They get in easily. Dive kick is great for travelling the screen, but characters CAN punish it. It's only going to get worse when they learn how. (neutral jump moves, high priority aerials, punishing it on block)

(lol the funny thing is, I REALLY like the character. I just learn by pointing out the negative and then trying to cover them which is exactly what I plan to do tonight.)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

I'm not saying just one back dash and lightning. Adam's back dash is sooo good just back the fuck up to full screen and throw stuff. If they try to hard to chase you down and make a bad dash you can punish. Also, the point of cancelling into specials isn't to keep advantage, but to keep pokes in check. So that way next time you do the exact same string they will have to think about whether you are going to cancel the string or not and take a guess at trying to poke. Dude this isn't Flash I'm sorry, but he isn't going to pressure all day lol. He is only going to be in with advantage for so long before he is just going to have to calm down and play footsies, which he seems to do well.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I'm not saying just one back dash and lightning. Adam's back dash is sooo good just back the fuck up to full screen and throw stuff. If they try to hard to chase you down and make a bad dash you can punish. Also, the point of cancelling into specials isn't to keep advantage, but to keep pokes in check. So that way next time you do the exact same string they will have to think about whether you are going to cancel the string or not and take a guess at trying to poke. Dude this isn't Flash I'm sorry, but he isn't going to pressure all day lol. He is only going to be in with advantage for so long before he is just going to have to calm down and play footsies, which he seems to do well.
But he doesn't. He has no good long range move other than b2. That's his footsies. In their entirety. That and divekick. Both are overheads. One is heavily punishable, the other is heavily whiff punishable/poke punishable.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
this character is awesome
I agree lol, he stole my heart from Green Lantern.

My bitching isn't saying he is trash. I am just actively trying to find solutions to his weaknesses hehe. I think the character is very good tho, he just really struggles in certain aspects.

Play a batman as black adam. They will zip around you like no tomorrow.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
But he doesn't. He has no good long range move other than b2. That's his footsies. In their entirety. That and divekick. Both are overheads. One is heavily punishable, the other is heavily whiff punishable/poke punishable.
I feel like you don't really understand the tools this character has? Half of them are there to control space.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I agree lol, he stole my heart from Green Lantern.

My bitching isn't saying he is trash. I am just actively trying to find solutions to his weaknesses hehe. I think the character is very good tho, he just really struggles in certain aspects.

Play a batman as black adam. They will zip around you like no tomorrow.
batman is way too top tier atm, you cant compare matchups with him.

black adam has so many damn tools, im gonna use him but i know nothing so far of his footsie options, gonna spend some time in the lab with him today with punishers, anti airs and such.

whats his AA?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I feel like you don't really understand the tools this character has? Half of them are there to control space.
controlling space when your opponent falls in your traps. hes like a shang tsung without an in front upskull.

he can control space but its risky when people are up close.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Lightning = jumpable
Black magic = jumpable
Zap = good, but still jumpable :p

One solution to all three of his space tools.
So then stop doing them at awful/predictable times and ranges. I've already mentioned his AA's are ass, that seems to be his only real flaw though. The rest to me just seems like stuff you wish were there but aren't.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
batman is way too top tier atm, you cant compare matchups with him.

black adam has so many damn tools, im gonna use him but i know nothing so far of his footsie options, gonna spend some time in the lab with him today with punishers, anti airs and such.

whats his AA?
A problem. lol

Dude, it's not just batman. Batman zips around him, Deathstroke zips around him, Harley zips around him green arrow zips around him. Anyone with an air dash can make his life hell too.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
A problem. lol

Dude, it's not just batman. Batman zips around him, Deathstroke zips around him, Harley zips around him green arrow zips around him. Anyone with an air dash can make his life hell too.
havent played vs a good harley or arrow but his dash is one of the best, he can close the gap with deathstroke fast and even punish with divekick if they used rifle and you read theres another one coming

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So then stop doing them at awful/predictable times and ranges. I've already mentioned his AA's are ass, that seems to be his only real flaw though. The rest to me just seems like stuff you wish were there but aren't.
So if you aren't USING his tools...he in fact then has no tools. You can only reliably use lightning from 3 quarter to full screen. Zoners will never let you get it out reliably. Same with black magic it's startup is slow. Even if they can't zone they can jump safely from full screen to midscreen. You can try to trade a dive kick, but thats about it.

What do you do to reverse pressure?

His two problems : Jumpers, and no GTFO. Thus back to my original problem :p

I am just highlighting them. We will solve them I am sure.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
havent played vs a good harley or arrow but his dash is one of the best, he can close the gap with deathstroke fast and even punish with divekick if they used rifle and you read theres another one coming
Dashes are punishable. You can't block during them like mk. If they do ground rifle then yes dive kick works. IA gs are a different story...

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
controlling space when your opponent falls in your traps. hes like a shang tsung without an in front upskull.

he can control space but its risky when people are up close.
It's not just the traps, he has the lightning bolt, lightning storm, two different dive kicks and normals with pretty good range. All of which can be cancelled into safe specials that will end the pressure but cause the opponent to respect options. His pressure game is a lot like Reptile's where it's just not going to be there forever, but if he gets you with something you are going to pay for not blocking.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Dashes are punishable. You can't block during them like mk. If they do ground rifle then yes dive kick works. IA gs are a different story...
have you seen deathstrokes frame data? anything besides iags you get a free dash.

thats also the reason joker destroys him

edit: even iags.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So if you aren't USING his tools...he in fact then has no tools. You can only reliably use lightning from 3 quarter to full screen. Zoners will never let you get it out reliably. Same with black magic it's startup is slow. Even if they can't zone they can jump safely from full screen to midscreen. You can try to trade a dive kick, but thats about it.

What do you do to reverse pressure?

His two problems : Jumpers, and no GTFO. Thus back to my original problem :p

I am just highlighting them. We will solve them I am sure.
No that wasn't your original problem. Your original problem was jumpers, which I agree with, and oh I can't rush down all day what do I do? I agree with you again, that he doesn't have a move that just gets people off when they are in...oh wait how bout a 6 frame jab? OOOOH. :p

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
No that wasn't your original problem. Your original problem was jumpers, which I agree with, and oh I can't rush down all day what do I do? I agree with you again, that he doesn't have a move that just gets people off when they are in...oh wait how bout a 6 frame jab? OOOOH. :p
Jumpers, and how to stop people from poking him to oblivion. Those were the two issues.

The poking part goes hand in hand with the gtfo me.

*sigh* we have been through this. The 6 frame jab is duckable by the entire cast. A poke beats it. A poke beats all of his up close options other than a poke coming out first.

Error

DF2+R2
I've already mentioned his AA's are ass, that seems to be his only real flaw though.
I don't know, I've managed to land d2 AAs quite a few times, I just never know what to follow up with since it pushes the opponent a little far. Also, dashing is good to avoid jump ins.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Jumpers, and how to stop people from poking him to oblivion. Those were the two issues.

The poking part goes hand in hand with the gtfo me.

*sigh* we have been through this. The 6 frame jab is duckable by the entire cast. A poke beats it. A poke beats all of his up close options other than a poke coming out first.
No poking is completely different from gtfo me, when you say gtfo me I think getting out of pressure lol. I will say again though that you are just letting your opponent disrespect you. Make them want to block after a string out of fear of a special cancel or some type of follow up and they will stop, unless they are just scrubs.

Edit: Another special you can cancel strings into is lightning cage, and you can hit confirm that into ex easy for big boy damage.