What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Just saying this but Sonya Jax and Kung Lao all had crouchable normals within strings. Kitana's cutter is duckable.

I dont actually think i can name a player i have seen duck and punish Sonyas pressure strings on stream, and they are pretty much all highs.
Sonya had a d4, A 50/50 stance mixup, safe cartwheels and advancing armor.

Kung Lao had a 6f launchable mid hitting spin, a roll, high low mixups and projectiles that covered the screen.

Jax had a sick anti air, an 8frame low and armor for days.

Black adam has a 6 frame jab and no other move to compensate for a poke.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

Kung Lao had a 6f launchable mid hitting spin, a roll, high low mixups and projectiles that covered the screen.

Jax had a six anti air, an 8frame low and armor for days.

That's a lie if you had the meter and really are concerned about getting punished MB cancel it. We can just agree to disagree at this point. Lol, much love though brotha and I wish you the best in Injustice. :p

smokey

EX Ovi should launch

Jax had a six anti air, an 8frame low and armor for days.

If someones ducking on reaction to your 6 frame jab they deserve props for their inhuman reactions.

If they are ducking on prediction and youre still throwing them out then youre already in their head and probably should have chose a better option.

This is like day 2, the only negative comments people should be making are like "I need more time to get better with this character"

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
if you whiff such a string you deserve to get whiff punished

it has slightly less range than smokes b23, how often do you see one whiff, let alone be punished?

if the opponent jumps while youre doing one of your best moves youre punished? that applies to every character in the damn game. thats footsies and a universal scenario.

he punishes with a 6F/10F 40% trait combo or 25-30% meterless minimum and can setup with bombs for free divekicks/ dashes in.

why do you always look at his worst scenarios? you make him sound like bottom 5 when hes a pretty good and rounded up character.
Yes, that is footsies, but there is nothing negating the jump. Which means you are going to be intimidated to throw out the B23.

He does great damage, but he will rarely get the opportunity to punish with his 1. I will say that right now. That leaves him with 2 or B2 which are short range and slower respectively. I am looking at the problems I have faced with him.

As I said above. I LIKE THIS CHARACTER. I am just trying to find solutions to the problems.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
That's a lie if you had the meter and really are concerned about getting punished MB cancel it. We can just agree to disagree at this point. Lol, much love though brotha and I wish you the best in Injustice. :p
So your going to spend 2 bars to be safe?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If someones ducking on reaction to your 6 frame jab they deserve props for their inhuman reactions.

If they are ducking on prediction and youre still throwing them out then youre already in their head and probably should have chose a better option.

This is like day 2, the only negative comments people should be making are like "I need more time to get better with this character"
Thats why I am pointing out the flaws...I play this character. These ARE going to be his problems unless we come up with ways to fix them. I will never say Black Adam is a bad character because at this point he isn't.

As I said above, no one has to duck it on reaction. It's effective range along with most of his other normals are completely negated by a down 1. That's all I am trying to point out. Black Adam has holes. He has problems at this point in time. My goal is to alleviate those problems. Kung Lao had a problem against crouchers, it was known it was admitted...it didn't make him bottom tier. Jesus christ lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Jax had a sick anti air, an 8frame low and armor for days.

... and a 6f uppercut that links to orbs and lightning which also, if linked to orbs, combos with standing 3 to send them fullscreen while youre like +50 and get a free bomb/ dash in/ instant short divekick

and only punishable by a d1 to a special while 90% of characters cant connect anything decent with

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Thats why I am pointing out the flaws...I play this character. These ARE going to be his problems unless we come up with ways to fix them. I will never say Black Adam is a bad character because at this point he isn't.

As I said above, no one has to duck it on reaction. It's effective range along with most of his other normals are completely negated by a down 1. That's all I am trying to point out. Black Adam has holes. He has problems at this point in time. My goal is to alleviate those problems. Kung Lao had a problem against crouchers, it was known it was admitted...it didn't make him bottom tier. Jesus christ lol.
were not saying youre saying hes bottom tier, were saying you make it look like that while counting footsies that arent adam-exclusive

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
... and a 6f uppercut that links to orbs and lightning which also, if linked to orbs, combos with standing 3 to send them fullscreen while youre like +50 and get a free bomb/ dash in/ instant short divekick

and only punishable by a d1 to a special while 90% of characters cant connect anything decent with
An uppercut thats -11 on block. And also has short range. Alot of special moves link with d1, thats why it's a big deal.

You won't? If they're trying to low poke you get a combo, and if they block you get free pressure.
Oh sorry, I thought you meant combo Meter burn on block. Thats 2 bars. Using the 1 bar meter burn variant is at this time pretty much his only legit strategy.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch

I get what your saying. Probably would just have to say backdash or just block. If they can completely negate your shit with a down 1, backdash and whiff punish, or like just block it and go from there.

Black adams clearly not a rushdown character, but if you can backdash and force people to try get back in, they are gonna be on the chase and make mistakes. Sometimes doing nothing is the best option i guess.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
were not saying youre saying hes bottom tier, were saying you make it look like that while counting footsies that arent adam-exclusive
Play against someone who knows black adam. I bet you they wont be staying on the ground. How confident are you going to be to throw out that B23 in open space? His specials force his opponents to jump, which I assume is supposed to make the Dive Kick Effective, but that gets beaten out a lot.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
An uppercut thats -11 on block. And also has short range. Alot of special moves link with d1, thats why it's a big deal.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant combo Meter burn on block. Thats 2 bars. Using the 1 bar meter burn variant is at this time pretty much his only legit strategy.
I know it's two bars, that doesn't mean it isn't a legit strategy, and no 1 bar meter burn isn't the only legit strategy. We will just have to agree to disagree man.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I get what your saying. Probably would just have to say backdash or just block. If they can completely negate your shit with a down 1, backdash and whiff punish, or like just block it and go from there.

Black adams clearly not a rushdown character, but if you can backdash and force people to try get back in, they are gonna be on the chase and make mistakes. Sometimes doing nothing is the best option i guess.
You cannot backdash and whiff punish a d1.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yes, that is footsies, but there is nothing negating the jump. Which means you are going to be intimidated to throw out the B23.

He does great damage, but he will rarely get the opportunity to punish with his 1. I will say that right now. That leaves him with 2 or B2 which are short range and slower respectively. I am looking at the problems I have faced with him.

As I said above. I LIKE THIS CHARACTER. I am just trying to find solutions to the problems.
no youre not

who will jump once footsies are established? even "high" lvl injustice gameplay right now has lotsa jumping mixed with walking because not all characters have found good AAs YET

if 1 is too short and 2 is too slow then you can do trait to a throw or anything else, adam still gets free damage no matter how you cut it.

hes the only char right now who can safely punish a bit using chip damage while still remaining very safely -

the orb mixups are ridiculous, jip orbs- throw alone does 20% and leaves you +, that mixup is there every 10 seconds.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Chance, I'm not sure if I understand what's going on here
Just talking about the 2 big flaws that Black Adam has currently. Initially it was supposed to be to tackle them and see if we could alleviate them via trap setups or something, but it turned in to me defending those flaws lol.

To summarize,

1) Black Adam has a terrible time against jumpers and zippy characters like Batman. It makes matters worse when Black Adams own playstyle encourages jumping.

2) Up close, Black adam has a hard time maintaining any offense since most of his options (good ones) are negated by a poke in a universal coverage sort of way.

They may not be problems soon enough he shows potential with a few setups :)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
no youre not

who will jump once footsies are established? even "high" lvl injustice gameplay right now has lotsa jumping mixed with walking because not all characters have found good AAs YET

if 1 is too short and 2 is too slow then you can do trait to a throw or anything else, adam still gets free damage no matter how you cut it.

hes the only char right now who can safely punish a bit using chip damage while still remaining very safely -

the orb mixups are ridiculous, jip orbs- throw alone does 20% and leaves you +, that mixup is there every 10 seconds.
Trait does not cause hit stun on block. A poke still covers even THAT option. If you go to throw and the opponent pokes, the orb will hit and the throw will whiff and YOU will get punished.

Orbs is not a mixup.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Play against someone who knows black adam. I bet you they wont be staying on the ground. How confident are you going to be to throw out that B23 in open space? His specials force his opponents to jump, which I assume is supposed to make the Dive Kick Effective, but that gets beaten out a lot.
if you read a jump you can whiff punish it easily.

were talking about black adam when overall all tech is known, how do you compare something like jumping to a 2 day metagame adam?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
if you read a jump you can whiff punish it easily.

were talking about black adam when overall all tech is known, how do you compare something like jumping to a 2 day metagame adam?
I don't compare him to a year old Black Adam. I compare him to what he is now...a 2 day old Black Adam. I can't wait until we all figure it out, but I am saying that it is imperative to figure THIS out lol.

What are you whiff punishing jumps with?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Trait does not cause hit stun on block. A poke still covers even THAT option. If you go to throw and the opponent pokes, the orb will hit and the throw will whiff and YOU will get punished.

Orbs is not a mixup.
orbs punishes.

how will your throw whiff if youve been poked out of it...? youre still getting 12%

who the hell pokes when theyre like -2f away from being launched for 40%? just so they wont get hit by 12-20-more?

if your opponent considers poking when youre 1 frame or two away from launching them for 40% METERLESS then youve already established a mixup that favors adam extremely well

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Just talking about the 2 big flaws that Black Adam has currently. Initially it was supposed to be to tackle them and see if we could alleviate them via trap setups or something, but it turned in to me defending those flaws lol.

To summarize,

1) Black Adam has a terrible time against jumpers and zippy characters like Batman. It makes matters worse when Black Adams own playstyle encourages jumping.

2) Up close, Black adam has a hard time maintaining any offense since most of his options (good ones) are negated by a poke in a universal coverage sort of way.

They may not be problems soon enough he shows potential with a few setups :)

1) There is NO chance that any character in the game should have a tough time with jumpers. Anti-airs are a thing. Adams might not be perfect, but you can just time it better, space it better, idk, but anyone who complains about jumps in a fighting game needs to get the hell away from that frame of mind.

2) Hes NOT an amazing rushdown character, but he has good pressure. Use his shocker special like shangs soul steal, cancel your blockstrings into it to push them back and give yourself more breathing room? Use your spacing and whiff punishing to get a knockdown, and play it from there. With bombs and crossups and all that, this game is going to be heavy when a knockdown comes into play. Play street fighter mentality, when they are on the ground, YOU are in control.

3) Jump back and EX Divekick to whiff punish a D1? I dunno that seems like a thing though. If not just take your spacing from the backdash and take the safety of it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I don't compare him to a year old Black Adam. I compare him to what he is now...a 2 day old Black Adam. I can't wait until we all figure it out, but I am saying that it is imperative to figure THIS out lol.

What are you whiff punishing jumps with?
B23

early jump attacks beat out most anti airs but are extremely whiff punishable

late attacks arent as much (but still easily punishable) but are anti airable. if your opponent does this when you werent expecting a jump then just block it, otherwise worst case scenario is they block b23 which turns their offense starter into a frametrap of your own.

its all about the mad options he has, look at joker and tell me adam suffers lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
1) There is NO chance that any character in the game should have a tough time with jumpers. Anti-airs are a thing. Adams might not be perfect, but you can just time it better, space it better, idk, but anyone who complains about jumps in a fighting game needs to get the hell away from that frame of mind.

2) Hes NOT an amazing rushdown character, but he has good pressure. Use his shocker special like shangs soul steal, cancel your blockstrings into it to push them back and give yourself more breathing room? Use your spacing and whiff punishing to get a knockdown, and play it from there. With bombs and crossups and all that, this game is going to be heavy when a knockdown comes into play. Play street fighter mentality, when they are on the ground, YOU are in control.

3) Jump back and EX Divekick to whiff punish a D1? I dunno that seems like a thing though. If not just take your spacing from the backdash and take the safety of it.
1) It has already been establish that jumping is extremely strong. Some characters have good AA others don't. Adams D2 is not a great AA.

2) I agree he isn't a rushdown character...I think he is a setup/trap style character. We should try to find those setups that give us free pressure into throws and other setups.

3) D1 will hit the jump...

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
let me just take a second and say black adams specials are to be used sparingly when not in a + situation such as a knockdown or frametrap, they really are punishable if you do them at jump distance or something