What's new

Black Adam General Discussion Thread

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I don't know, I've managed to land d2 AAs quite a few times, I just never know what to follow up with since it pushes the opponent a little far. Also, dashing is good to avoid jump ins.
Well are you trying to burn meter after the d2 or not?

Edit: Error good point about dashing, and also d2 seems to hit from a very short range on jump ins, idk that could just be on me though. I won't lie I've been working more on b2 as an AA than d2 because it seemed to have a lot of potential.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
No poking is completely different from gtfo me, when you say gtfo me I think getting out of pressure lol. I will say again though that you are just letting your opponent disrespect you. Make them want to block after a string out of fear of a special cancel and they will stop, unless they are just scrubs.
Lol, dude, The only option Black adam has to get out of pressure is to pretty much poke cancel into a special. If the opponents strings have ANY sort of pushback, Black adam can do shit to either punish or stop them from doing an advancing attack. His normals have SHORT range. Play superman. How does Adam deal with F23 spam?

6frames is great, but it's a 6 frame T-rex arm bitch slap which is covered by the universal action of crouching and poking. Almost all of his options are beat by that.

If I am playing a black adam, my strategy is going to be jump from full screen cause there is pretty much nothing he can do but dive kick and I can potentially win that air to air and if I don't, BA is still closer to me than I started. Once I get in, I can poke him to death, and there is virtually nothing he can do but try to d1 special me. Even if he backdashes, I just get to jump again. Once that D2 gets stuffed a few times and full combo punished, it's hard to warrant throwing it out :p

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm fine with that, although is it worth it unless for closing matches? D2s scale the hardest.
I'm not sure how much damage you can get tbh, I'm pretty sure you could combo into ex black magic out of something to get a decent combo. I actually forgot idk any uppercut combos for the most part. I would just wing it hahaha.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Lol, dude, The only option Black adam has to get out of pressure is to pretty much poke cancel into a special. If the opponents strings have ANY sort of pushback, Black adam can do shit to either punish or stop them from doing an advancing attack. His normals have SHORT range. Play superman. How does Adam deal with F23 spam?

6frames is great, but it's a 6 frame T-rex arm bitch slap which is covered by the universal action of crouching and poking. Almost all of his options are beat by that.

If I am playing a black adam, my strategy is going to be jump from full screen cause there is pretty much nothing he can do but dive kick and I can potentially win that air to air and if I don't, BA is still closer to me than I started. Once I get in, I can poke him to death, and there is virtually nothing he can do but try to d1 special me. Even if he backdashes, I just get to jump again. Once that D2 gets stuffed a few times and full combo punished, it's hard to warrant throwing it out :p
1) Nothing is wrong with poke cancelling into a special, that's probably the best option for getting out of pressure in the first place. What normals are you talking about man? The range on almost everything except for maybe standing 1 are pretty good. As far as the Superman comment goes, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you have to either poke out or use armor to get out of f23 ice breath at all with anyone. (Because Ice Breath is +1 on block I think) So you are kind of just trying to make it sound like Black Adam is bad when really Supes is busted.

2) I agree the hitbox on one isn't big, but you are exaggerating how bad it is. In order for the opponent to crouch poke a standing 1 during his own pressure, he has to know it's coming. Stop being an open book for people to read.

3) The only way Black Adam is not going to dive kick a fool jumping around the screen like a mad man is if they read the dive kick and put out a well timed jump attack. If you time bolt right they catch jumps on the way down too as well as black magic so this logic is flawed. Unless you ex the dive kick and combo you are right I'm right up on you now, I don't think you know how easy it is for Adam to get right back out, especially on knockdown. If you just do a cross up on his wake up at the arc of his jump and cancel it into far dive kick there is almost nothing they can do about you getting right back out to full screen. You are making this character seem way more flawed than he actually is. I don't think he is looking top tier or anything, but I don't see him having trouble keeping up with everyone in the cast.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What ive found so far, definitely has been said,

after B23 his 1is high at 6f

1 whiffs but 11 doesnt

11 is 13f therefore the attack is high at first and comes out at 10f

2 hits mid, is hit confirmable to black magic and becomes 7f after B23 on block

if you wanna just keep them away you should do standing 3 for pushback, alternatively you can do 22B1 lightning for some minor pushback while at -3

so

after B23

3 = Pushes back to jump distance, cant be armoured, supered or D1d

22b1= can be D1d but not armoured, hit confirm 22 to black magic/trait for good damage. if your opponents blocking finish with 22b1 lightning which provides more pushback and 2 less negative frames than naked 22b1

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What ive found so far, definitely has been said,

after B23 his 1is high at 6f

1 whiffs but 11 doesnt

11 is 13f therefore the attack is high at first and comes out at 10f

2 hits mid, is hit confirmable to black magic and becomes 7f after B23 on block

if you wanna just keep them away you should do standing 3 for pushback, alternatively you can do 22B1 lightning for some minor pushback while at -3

so

after B23

3 = Pushes back to jump distance, cant be armoured, supered or D1d

22b1= can be D1d but not armoured, hit confirm 22 to black magic/trait for good damage. if your opponents blocking finish with 22b1 lightning which provides more pushback and 2 less negative frames than naked 22b1
After B23 2 will whiff.

22 may hit but it will be poked or whiff punished.

1 will miss on crouchers.

B2 can be poked by a crouchers

B1 wont hit.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
After B23 2 will whiff.

B1 wont hit.
What about f2? I haven't tried that yet. I don't think you can combo off of it, but you can hit f23 and put the opponent full screen at least.

Edit: I also don't know how fast it is, but I know it hits mid.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
1) Nothing is wrong with poke cancelling into a special, that's probably the best option for getting out of pressure in the first place. What normals are you talking about man? The range on almost everything except for maybe standing 1 are pretty good. As far as the Superman comment goes, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you have to either poke out or use armor to get out of f23 ice breath at all with anyone. (Because Ice Breath is +1 on block I think) So you are kind of just trying to make it sound like Black Adam is bad when really Supes is busted.

2) I agree the hitbox on one isn't big, but you are exaggerating how bad it is. In order for the opponent to crouch poke a standing 1 during his own pressure, he has to know it's coming. Stop being an open book for people to read.

3) The only way Black Adam is not going to dive kick a fool jumping around the screen like a mad man is if they read the dive kick and put out a well timed jump attack. If you time bolt right they catch jumps on the way down too as well as black magic so this logic is flawed. Unless you ex the dive kick and combo you are right I'm right up on you now, I don't think you know how easy it is for Adam to get right back out, especially on knockdown. If you just do a cross up on his wake up at the arc of his jump and cancel it into far dive kick there is almost nothing they can do about you getting right back out to full screen. You are making this character seem way more flawed than he actually is. I don't think he is looking top tier or anything, but I don't see him having trouble keeping up with everyone in the cast.
I am not talking about F23~breathe which is +1 I am just talking about F23.

I am not making him seem more flawed I am singling out his 2 BIG GIGANTIC flaws.

The fact of the matter is, Black Adam doesn't have a mixup, he doesn't have range and he has no way to do consistent pressure...at least not at this time. Some lightning traps may fix that but as of now nothing.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
After B23 2 will whiff.

B1 wont hit.
22 is only 1 frame slower, can be poked just like 22 but its 8F now.

1 is useless as i said

not if youre spacing it correctly

B1 does hit, if it doesnt, use lightning, big deal.

B23 is one of the best strings in the game, sets up great pressure and can bait a lot of shit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
black adam is made for baiting and punishing mistakes

while he doesnt have a mixup that doesnt mean hes not good, hes a great character

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
and his orbs are godlike

throw= 20% due to orbs hitting them

poking after b23= 4% damage and whatever adv their D1 is, most are - on hit

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
black adam is made for baiting and punishing mistakes

while he doesnt have a mixup that doesnt mean hes not good, hes a great character
What does he punish with?

Also, B23 is a really good string and is advantageous on block, but it is REALLY whiff punishable. In it's effective range, Black Adam is actually at his most vulnerable. As you said above, 22 can be poked, 1 is useless as it can be poked too, B23 has 10 frames start up so it to can be poked.

Midrange you have to make sure that the b2 is going to connect. If the opponent jumps, your getting blown up, if the opponent back dashes because the first b2 whiffed, your getting hit.

If he is truly a bait and punish character, what does he bait with, and how does he punish?

I honestly think Black adam is going to be a trap character. I think it will revolve around his +100 on block lightning traps. Throw mixups and general being annoying. We just got to unlock that aspect of the character :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I am not making him seem more flawed I am singling out his 2 BIG GIGANTIC flaws.

The fact of the matter is, Black Adam doesn't have a mixup, he doesn't have range and he has no way to do consistent pressure...at least not at this time. Some lightning traps may fix that but as of now nothing.
That's the thing, they aren't gigantic flaws. The only thing you can tell me about standing one that is bad is that people low poke it and it's range. There are simple ways to deal with both, learn the range and stop getting predictable with it. People don't crouch 6 frame jabs on reaction. As for pressure, again this isn't the Flash, and he isn't a rushdown character so if you are looking to keep pressure going all match find another character.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
That's the thing, they aren't gigantic flaws. The only thing you can tell me about standing one that is bad is that people low poke it and it's range. There are simple ways to deal with both, learn the range and stop getting predictable with it. People don't crouch 6 frame jabs on reaction. As for pressure, again this isn't the Flash, and he isn't a rushdown character so if you are looking to keep pressure going all match find another character.
The effective range of the jab is RIGHT NEXT TO THE PERSON. They will be crouching. If a poke beats all of his strings, why the hell wouldn't they poke? There is no range to learn. The range of the move is in their face. It has NO range. There is no reason to do it "on reaction" when the poke covers every one of his starting strings not set off a frame trap (where a poke would beat their poke).

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
What characters are you facing that leave themselves at negative 7 or more directly in front of your face?
You are downplaying stand jab so hard right now. The range isn't right in your face, it's like a bit less than sweep range. I really think you just have no idea how to play footsies at this point.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Just saying this but Sonya Jax and Kung Lao all had crouchable normals within strings. Even Kitana's cutter is duckable.

I dont actually think i can name a player i have seen duck and punish Sonyas pressure strings on stream, and they are pretty much all highs.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What does he punish with?

Also, B23 is a really good string and is advantageous on block, but it is REALLY whiff punishable. In it's effective range, Black Adam is actually at his most vulnerable. As you said above, 22 can be poked, 1 is useless as it can be poked too, B23 has 10 frames start up so it to can be poked.

Midrange you have to make sure that the b2 is going to connect. If the opponent jumps, your getting blown up, if the opponent back dashes because the first b2 whiffed, your getting hit.

If he is truly a bait and punish character, what does he bait with, and how does he punish?

I honestly think Black adam is going to be a trap character. I think it will revolve around his +100 on block lightning traps. Throw mixups and general being annoying. We just got to unlock that aspect of the character :)
if you whiff such a string you deserve to get whiff punished

it has slightly less range than smokes b23, how often do you see one whiff, let alone be punished?

if the opponent jumps while youre doing one of your best moves youre punished? that applies to every character in the damn game. thats footsies and a universal scenario.

he punishes with a 6F/10F 40% trait combo or 25-30% meterless minimum and can setup with bombs for free divekicks/ dashes in.

why do you always look at his worst scenarios? you make him sound like bottom 5 when hes a pretty good and rounded up character.