What's new

Match-up Discussion Bane's living MU Chart (v1.06/v.1.07)

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
What are some good ways to approach the NW MU? I got thrashed by C88BigMilk's NW the other nights (though it was just a single match).

RYX

BIG PUSHER
What are some good ways to approach the NW MU? I got thrashed by C88BigMilk's NW the other nights (though it was just a single match).
Escrima - play cautious, no rooms for random charges due to wing dings. Once you knock him down, start your pressure because you can stuff his wake-ups pretty easily. His mobility is better here so you might have to chase him for a while.

Staff - Beware Staff Spin on wake-up. You can interrupt it but it's kind of hit and miss, especially online. You can afford to charge in the neutral because he can't jump over it and a lot of his moves have kind of eh recovery. If you have trouble oki-ing him just step back and whiff punish him if he does anything, his mobility is ass so once you get in he can't jump/dash away.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I also keep seeing that Bane beats Grundy pretty handily, but I've been having a lot of issues in this MU. What am I missing?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Matchup inexperience and no good grundy to play with is what you're missing just like everyone else who thinks the MU is 7-3 or 8-2.
That's really not helpful.

Joker goes even with Bane.
I'm trying to figure this one out as well, since Joker's teeth interrupt basically all of my pressure options. His j3 and d2 also beat a lot of my options like db1, jd3, and sometimes even d2. His boot knife (b1?) also seems to beat out all of Bane's wakeups, as far as I can tell. I was getting boot-knifed before I even had the opportunity to start to input my wakeup commands.

Matchup inexperience and no good grundy to play with is what you're missing just like everyone else who thinks the MU is 7-3 or 8-2.
So is your gimmick that you come in here and mouth off to a bunch of good Bane players about how little they know? Because I'm already tired of it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I'm trying to figure this one out as well, since Joker's teeth interrupt basically all of my pressure options. His j3 and d2 also beat a lot of my options like db1, jd3, and sometimes even d2. His boot knife (b1?) also seems to beat out all of Bane's wakeups, as far as I can tell. I was getting boot-knifed before I even had the opportunity to start to input my wakeup commands.
Can't set up teeth when Banes in his face and as far as wake-ups go his are worse than Raven.
He does have some nifty OTG set-ups but its nothing you can't just block and dash out of.
His zoning is ok, not great, but just how badly he loses out on wake-up is reason enough for it not to be his favour.

Pretty much his MU consists of teeth, guns, and the occational j.2. Really nothing we can't stop by poking at him with our hugely higher reach normal and armored specials.

So is your gimmick that you come in here and mouth off to a bunch of good Bane players about how little they know? Because I'm already tired of it.
Chill out a bit. Don't assume things, he is probably the best Joker in the world at the moment (not saying much but he IS good regardless) and we're waiting on the lab results to see his Bane ability.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
That's really not helpful.

only happens after the crowbar OTG, i can play you if you want.
Speaking of MU inexperience, did you get that footage of your Bane?
Was too busy winnig the tournament. next time ill try to get some footage.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
so because I said that there is no MU experience vs a good grundy because only 1-2 actually exist it means im trashing bane players?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Fair enough, good job by the way. I heard through the grapevine you really cleaned house.
So congrats and whatnot, so on and so forth.
thanks, im looking forward to clearing up this myth that bane horribly mutilates grundy, there is just so much more than armour breaking required to beat grundy IMO.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I think there's really only 1 good American Grundy and that's like... Tyrant.
Though he said its definitely at least 6-4 Banes favour and I don't think he's played many Banes outside of Wonder Chef.

Its not just armor breaking, we're also faster (even at level 3 cooldown Grundy has trouble catching us), have more consistent free damage, and grab immunity on everything.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
We'll see, there are many things that can be said for both sides.

In any case, I'll play any bane/grundy with my grundy/bane to show a basic flow of the matchup

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wow, just played about 40 sets against the first good Raven I've ever encountered. What the hell is Bane supposed to do in this MU? If I could get her knocked down or cornered I could do some decent damage, but getting to that point was a nightmare. All of her ranged options are safe against anything Bane can do, and a single wrong button press lead to massive damage on my part. When her trait was down, she would just constantly fire her ravens. I could block and dash or crouch and dash or armor charge through, but she was always safe. She has multi-hitting strings that blow up my armor, her low is faster than anything Bane has and leads into a full combo (even after a b21 which is +5 I still couldn't even get a throw out about half the time). Jumping is a no go, and she can follow up any of her ranged blasts/ravens with her grab move that will catch Bane mid-dash. Even that's safe unless you charge before she does it. I seriously have no clue how to approach this MU.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Wow, just played about 40 sets against the first good Raven I've ever encountered. What the hell is Bane supposed to do in this MU? If I could get her knocked down or cornered I could do some decent damage, but getting to that point was a nightmare. All of her ranged options are safe against anything Bane can do, and a single wrong button press lead to massive damage on my part. When her trait was down, she would just constantly fire her ravens. I could block and dash or crouch and dash or armor charge through, but she was always safe. She has multi-hitting strings that blow up my armor, her low is faster than anything Bane has and leads into a full combo (even after a b21 which is +5 I still couldn't even get a throw out about half the time). Jumping is a no go, and she can follow up any of her ranged blasts/ravens with her grab move that will catch Bane mid-dash. Even that's safe unless you charge before she does it. I seriously have no clue how to approach this MU.
It's 5-5.

Bane out footsies her and out damages her. Raven obviously has the zoning advantage, so just walk, duck and dash your way in. She has to make a read to Crush you, so block and dash for free, close a ton of space. 2 blocked crushes and you're in. Her wake up game is ass, so you can actually run pretty smooth from there.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Her backdash is of dubious quality, although her ranged game is ok its far from the worst thing since pre-patch Bane v Bats. Her trait mode can be annoying but you can rest easy knowing the best she can do is chip you when you are on cooldown. Run the trait, and sit back and watch her toss pillars for a bit. If she ports, you have about 2 seconds to react and d.2 her for a full combo before she can get a move out.

I'd say 5.5-4.5 our favour. Theres just no ignoring the fact that we have full ability to go ham on her wake-ups, and the best she can do to make up for the big damage from level 2 and 3 oki is chip.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
How are you pressuring her during wakeup? She was able to back-dash one of my body press attempts, and other times she could jump out. I could VU to stuff jumps, but then it just became a guessing game of whether she would jump or block. When her trait was out I would just hang back and eat the chip, but when it wasn't she was just firing those ravens and using grab. If I blocked or ducked a raven and tried to dash, the grab would catch me. Even if I anticipated the grab and blocked it, I still couldn't punish. I could catch her with charge if I started it before the grab, but if she didn't grab she could jump the charge for a punish. She was also able to d1 after my dashes but before I could do anything.

As far as I could figure out, I just wasn't able to punish anything she did. If I started an armored charge before a grab attempt then it would connect, but those were just lucky hits. She could basically just spam ravens and grabs all day and then go defensive when I got within range. Part of the problem is I never fight Raven, nor have I ever used her even once, so I don't know her strings or frame data, all I know is that she was able to block, jump, or backdash everything I threw at her after using her specials.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You outrange her by a lot, get into d.2 range and camp it out there.
Also do the usual wake-up buffering... d.2xxDP will do fine since most of her stuff doesn't do very good starting damage. You should be able to trade for more./

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Wow, just fought my first good Flash. I managed to win quite a bit, but by the end of our set he had me figured out and I couldn't really get anything started. Is there any way to pressure Flash on wakeup when he has meter?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Wow, just fought my first good Flash. I managed to win quite a bit, but by the end of our set he had me figured out and I couldn't really get anything started. Is there any way to pressure Flash on wakeup when he has meter?
No