What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've been messing around with throw set ups for a lot of characters and found a pretty cool one with Smoke. I don't really play Smoke so I hope this isn't ancient tech lol.

Basically anytime you throw your opponent in the corner, you can quickly go invisible and have time to pressure or throw them again before they can jump or crouch. You could potentially keep looping this same set up over & over until you read that the other player will wakeup or stay grounded. You also have the option to throw and then smoke toward, which will reverse their wakeup inputs and you still get a throw attempt to put them back in the corner.

I'm not sure if Smoke has any OTGs to compliment this set up, or if this set up even works well as part of Smoke's overall oki game. Just figured I'd throw it out there.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
FYI, I am probably switching my reset BRB to include D4~bomb after three 3d12's. If you dash in after the bomb connects I think it gives you the most consistent spacing/timing for the F4~ex bomb reset. I was using standing 2~bomb before mostly for fear of the input bug but I am hitting the reset way more consistent with the D4 method, so really this is just a tip for Smoke players who might be struggling with hitting the reset consistently urging them to try all options linking into the bomb and not to just settle with the method they are currently comfortable with.

I have also changed my B23 reset bnb to just B23, 32, 32, F4~ex bomb because I find it to be more consistent in general...and just using 32 32 in place of any instances where I would previously use 32 3d12

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
what's Smokes most consistent Reset? right now I'm using the following :
b2 3 bomb, 32, 32, F4 Ex bomb. JIP 3 d1 2 NJP teleport bomb, 3 2, f4 EX bomb. bomb 3 d1 2 f4 ex bomb.

is there something better or dose it just take practices to get them down 100%?

what are the best ways do deal and get out of pressure?

would any of you be down for games? I've been seriously trying to pick up smoke and wouldn't mind playing some high level Smokes =). I can play on both PSN and XBL but Xbox works better for me.

are there any match videos of waffles or anyone else? I couldn't really find anything

Thanks to anyone who reply's!

Check my combos thread for all the combos you need.

Takes a lot of practice. I use the following off the starters you listed:
b23~sb > 32 > 32, f4~ex sb
3d12 > 3d12 > 3d12 > d4~bomb, f4~ex sb
smoke bomb > 32 > 3d12 > f4~ex sb

Honestly you can mix 32 and 3d12 in whatever way works best for you... those are just the timings I have down. In the 3d12 combo you can use NJP between the first and second 3d12. It's not that hard to hit but it changes the gravity when it's time for f4 and I prefer the consistency I have without the NJP if I"m going to go for a reset. If I NJP though, I'm probably not going to try the reset and will instead end with a b14.

poke~sb, poke~smoke away, ex shake, xray

Yes, add me on XBL

Try clicking the "match videos" filter at the top of the smoke subforum... should link you to stuff. I'm not sure, never tried it myself.

RiBBz22

what's Smokes most consistent Reset? right now I'm using the following :
b2 3 bomb, 32, 32, F4 Ex bomb. JIP 3 d1 2 NJP teleport bomb, 3 2, f4 EX bomb. bomb 3 d1 2 f4 ex bomb.

is there something better or dose it just take practices to get them down 100%?

what are the best ways do deal and get out of pressure?

would any of you be down for games? I've been seriously trying to pick up smoke and wouldn't mind playing some high level Smokes =). I can play on both PSN and XBL but Xbox works better for me.

are there any match videos of waffles or anyone else? I couldn't really find anything

Thanks to anyone who reply's!
I am always down for games. I personally find the following combos to be the most consistent reset-wise:

3D12, 3D12, 3D12, D4~bomb, dash f4~ex bomb

B23, 32, 32 F4~ex bomb

21~bomb, NJP, Tele Whiff, dash 3D12 F4~ex bomb

Corner I almost always go with 3D12 NJP, 32, 32, 32, 21~bomb, dash back (good for timing purposes), F4~ex bomb

Mothmonsterman0

Check my combos thread for all the combos you need.

Takes a lot of practice. I use the following off the starters you listed:
b23~sb > 32 > 32, f4~ex sb
3d12 > 3d12 > 3d12 > d4~bomb, f4~ex sb
smoke bomb > 32 > 3d12 > f4~ex sb

Honestly you can mix 32 and 3d12 in whatever way works best for you... those are just the timings I have down. In the 3d12 combo you can use NJP between the first and second 3d12. It's not that hard to hit but it changes the gravity when it's time for f4 and I prefer the consistency I have without the NJP if I"m going to go for a reset. If I NJP though, I'm probably not going to try the reset and will instead end with a b14.

poke~sb, poke~smoke away, ex shake, xray

Yes, add me on XBL

Try clicking the "match videos" filter at the top of the smoke subforum... should link you to stuff. I'm not sure, never tried it myself.
yeah, I've gotten lots of Resets, but didn't know if there was a standard BnB most smoke players were using. I didn't think about trying the match video tab lol

I'll add you when i get on XBL

Thanks for replying so fast!

Mothmonsterman0

I am always down for games. I personally find the following combos to be the most consistent reset-wise:

3D12, 3D12, 3D12, D4~bomb, dash f4~ex bomb

B23, 32, 32 F4~ex bomb

21~bomb, NJP, Tele Whiff, dash 3D12 F4~ex bomb

Corner I almost always go with 3D12 NJP, 32, 32, 32, 21~bomb, dash back (good for timing purposes), F4~ex bomb
I think you're on my PSN friends list, it won't connect ;_;

Check my reset loops thread as well. In the corner using 32, backdash f4~ex bomb over and over is pretty hilarious and racks up the most consistently huge damage for smoke in the corner when you attempt a double reset. If your opponent has no meter you can kill him in one combo. with 2 bars so long as you end in unbreakable damage :)

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Does Smoke Bomb OTG after an aerial breaker? It seems to work in Practice/Ladder Mode like those fake guaranteed resets, where if the opponent blocks, it doesn't work, but if they don't block, it resets them.

After Smoke uses an aerial breaker, people may expect him to whiff teleport behind them, and thus, they may try to use a wakeup, so this might catch them off-guard. Not to mention, Smoke can also dash in and use 3 D1 2 or D3 after an aerial breaker. This OTGs and stuffs wake-ups as long as they don't roll. In the corner, you can use D4 too.

All in all, this means that after an aerial breaker, opponents who don't tech roll have to respect the hell out of Smoke.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
So if I'm practicing Smoke's resets a lot while playing AI ladder matches, will the same resets work against human opponents?

For example: at midscreen, jip B2, 3, SB >> 3,2 >> 3,D1,2 >> F4 into ex SB for reset attempt

I'm slightly consistent with the above reset (I know where the F4 needs to hit, but I'm still working on getting the timing down), but I don't get to play this game that often offline against others, so I don't know if I should be relying on something like that in tourney play or not.

Humans obviously play differently than the AI, so hence my question.

So if I'm practicing Smoke's resets a lot while playing AI ladder matches, will the same resets work against human opponents?

For example: at midscreen, jip B2, 3, SB >> 3,2 >> 3,D1,2 >> F4 into ex SB for reset attempt

I'm slightly consistent with the above reset (I know where the F4 needs to hit, but I'm still working on getting the timing down), but I don't get to play this game that often offline against others, so I don't know if I should be relying on something like that in tourney play or not.

Humans obviously play differently than the AI, so hence my question.
Yes, that is legitimate. Try doing two 32's instead of 32 > 3d12, a LOT of people find it to be a much easier timing than 32 3d12. I switch between the two, I can't decide which I like better lol.

RiBBz22

yep, any combo leading to F4 ex bomb after an initial SB launcher is a legit reset.

RiBBz22

Yes, that is legitimate. Try doing two 32's instead of 32 > 3d12, a LOT of people find it to be a much easier timing than 32 3d12. I switch between the two, I can't decide which I like better lol.
ya if I am whoring out for more damage and I am near the corner I will go ahead and do the 3d12 before the reset since the timing and placement of the F4 hitting isn't as strict.

oh, then does it have any other unique properties? or is it just a 3 hitting 6 frame move ending in an overhead?
What? No. EX Teleport Punch has neither armor nor invincibility. It is almost completely useless.

Smoke's EX smoke drift (bf3+blk and fb3+blk) is invincible after a 6 frame startup and there are no recovery frames.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
What? No. EX Teleport Punch has neither armor nor invincibility. It is almost completely useless.

Smoke's EX smoke drift (bf3+blk and fb3+blk) is invincible after a 6 frame startup and there are no recovery frames.
ah, nice, thx :)

soo after the initial 6 frame start up the smoke drift becomes invincible then correct?

RiBBz22

ya I was thinking he meant ex smoke towards/away.

Axel_Redd you basically only want to use the teleport (DB4) if your opponent is mega aggressive after they get a knockdown on you, or in the air if your opponent is always in the air throwing projectiles (do this on reaction only). Never use meter for the ex version.

Somnuse

Noob
Never is a strong word, I've used it to finish off a round with enhanced when normal tele would not have.

However, that is about its only use.

RiBBz22

Never is a strong word, I've used it to finish off a round with enhanced when normal tele would not have.

However, that is about its only use.
Ya, and if the opponent held block you would have probably lost the round. But ya good point because I guess I can see using it if you are 100% sure you are going to chip them out (~1.5% life left).