What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

DirtyBalls

Banned
Anyone know who A_Sects_Defender is? xSMoKEx he said he trained with you. Says he's a hot-off-the-street godlike new smoke player that makes all of us look like stale cookies, or something like that. Just curious if anyone knows of him, maybe an alternate gamertag, and if anyone will vouch for his being a high-level smoke. subzerosmokerai and I have never heard of him and are curious is all.
He's just an online player smh. Also off-topic... Who do I have message to change my name? >.>

SZSR

Noob
Anyone know who A_Sects_Defender is? xSMoKEx he said he trained with you. Says he's a hot-off-the-street godlike new smoke player that makes all of us look like stale cookies, or something like that. Just curious if anyone knows of him, maybe an alternate gamertag, and if anyone will vouch for his being a high-level smoke. subzerosmokerai and I have never heard of him and are curious is all.
Turns out I do know him, just by another name. He wants to keep his anonymity but I definitely vouch for what he says after a few series online. Seriously what he could do WITH delay online was pretty incredible. He doesn't want to divulge any info on his Smoke tech as of yet until the MLG in August, so i'm respecting his wishes.

Defenestrator

I do windows
Does anyone have any tips on what to do after you're knocked down? Folks seem to know that smoke has weak wake up attacks and just walk up and start pressure. My guess would be poking, D4s and such. I just wish he had an armored option the opponent would respect.

Defenestrator

I do windows
matchup dependent
which characters are pressuring you on your wake up that you are having trouble with
Hmm.. several. It depends on who I'm playing. I played the AI forever and recently started going online. Off the top of my head I would say an Ermac played by Vampire_May_Cry on PSN, Sonya, Raiden and Kung Lao

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Why do you think Smoke has weak wake up options? I beg to differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how the FUCK do i beat kung lao with smoke. or should i not even try. that dumbass tele kick always connect because of smokes hitbox

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
What are Smoke's best strings?
I just started playing with him and I think I may be relying too heavily on his 3d12 combo.

Also

I'm trying to do more 50/50 mix ups in games with him and despite him have a pretty descent medium arsenal, I can't figure out how to incorporate a low start into a combo...

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I just started playing with him and I think I may be relying too heavily on his 3d12 combo.

Also

I'm trying to do more 50/50 mix ups in games with him and despite him have a pretty descent medium arsenal, I can't figure out how to incorporate a low start into a combo...
Best String For General Punishment = 3 D1 2

Best Whiff Punishing String = B2 3.

Best D4 Follow Up String = [B2 (3)] or [2 1 4] if you know they will stay stand blocking.

Best Jump in Punch Follow Up String = [3 D1 2] or [2 1 4].

Smoke doesn't have any low starters. You have to either capitalize on the fact that opponents will respect his overhead strings by stand blocking, or try to bait ducks by using D4. The best sort of mix-Ups with Smoke involve tick throws.

knight x1868

Blue Lantern Corps
That helps out a lot.
Best String For General Punishment = 3 D1 2

Best Whiff Punishing String = B2 3.

Best D4 Follow Up String = [B2 (3)] or [2 1 4] if you know they will stay stand blocking.

Best Jump in Punch Follow Up String = [3 D1 2] or [2 1 4].

Smoke doesn't have any low starters. You have to either capitalize on the fact that opponents will respect his overhead strings by stand blocking, or try to bait ducks by using D4. The best sort of mix-Ups with Smoke involve tick throws.
That helps out a lot thank you.

Faded Dreams V

What would be a good wake up option?
Ex TelePunch?
Smoke Screen?
There is literally no use for EX Telepunch at all unless your opponent has almost no health, and you want to make sure the extra chip damage kills him.

Smoke's best wake up is Smoke Towards/Away. Telepunch should be used if your opponent is showing no respect at all (continues attacking after knocking you down).

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

Also

Smoke doesn't have a low starter, but d4 is +12 on hit so you would get B2 for free that your opponent will have to respect.

His fastest punish string is 21 smoke bomb with 9 frames of startup. B2 is 15 frames but is an overhead, and 3d12 is in the middle but is godlike since you can get 3 juggles off before you cancel it into smoke bomb and launch them again.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
how the FUCK do i beat kung lao with smoke. or should i not even try. that dumbass tele kick always connect because of smokes hitbox
Dash forwards on reaction to a teleport and the kick whiffs, you can also duck and D1 him out of the air from the teleport into a full reset combo for a bar or two, make them think twice about teleporting on you when 50-100% health is being lost when they dont break.

Hey guys im new here and i have a little question about smoke.. i havent played Mk9 since december and now i am practicing with smoke and i could not land the 3d12, njp > 3d12 strings..
is it still possible to land a NJP after 3D12 or 3 2 ?

Faded Dreams V

Hey guys im new here and i have a little question about smoke.. i havent played Mk9 since december and now i am practicing with smoke and i could not land the 3d12, njp > 3d12 strings..
is it still possible to land a NJP after 3D12 or 3 2 ?
You can, but there's no point. Better to use a combo you can consistently execute 100% of the time.

possible after 3d12. not after 32 midscreen.

You need to plink the NJP input. What that means is, if you use the default control layout, slide your finger from 1 to 2 when it's time for the NJP. So, dial in 3d12, if it hits immediately start holding up and when you finish the string press 1, and immediately slide your finger to 2. That way, you have 2 chances to hit the NJP, just gotta learn the timing of when smoke jumps. It takes practice, and it's very hard to do consistently online. I recommend you omit the NJP online.