What's new

General/Other Army of Tarkatans: Baraka mains post here!

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
So as some of you may know, I was at Final Round this past weekend. It was quite possibly the greatest tournament I've ever been to, and definitely the greatest (and toughest) MK9 tournament thus far. Got to meet some amazing people and players, and I feel like I leveled up a shit ton for being there. For any of you afraid to go to a major like this, I say you absolutely should go no matter your skill level or what character you play. You will ALWAYS improve playing with high level players. Not to mention the MK community is one of the friendliest, most helpful communities in all the FGC. Players are always willing to help one another, so get off your lazy ass and GO!

Now with that being said, before I went to FR I came to the decision of playing Baraka ONLY, all tournament. No secondaries. No nothing. Why you ask? Well pretty much because I wanted to prove a point...that Baraka is not the worst character in the game, and despite his many flaws, he can still compete at a high level when played properly. Though I didn't pull a Big D and get top 8 with him, I did go 2-2. Now at first glance that may not seem like much, you have to realize how insanely stacked every pool at this tournament was. There were no bad players. Practically everyone was solid. So going 2-2 is an accomplishment in my book.

My first match was on stream against 3PiecesofBread, a Scorpion player from Louisiana. It was both of our first times being on stream for a major tournament, so we were both incredibly nervous, and it showed in our game unfortunately :p. I ended up winning 2-0, but I didn't feel like a winner because of how poorly we both played. I actually got the chance to play 3PiecesofBread's Scorp the night before in a 5v5 Money Match between Florida and Louisiana, and he actually ended up knocking me out after I knocked out 2 of their best players. So I knew his Scorp was no slouch. But the next day on stream, I could tell he was very off his game, so I didn't feel like it was a very well deserved victory, but a win's a win and I advanced.

Next up was a well known Kabal player in GGA Soonk. Now the matchup for Kabal is already bad...add the fact that Soonk uses a Hitbox, and the matchup went from 7-3 to 9-1. I took 1 round, but with his iAGBs being so insanely close to the ground, I couldn't do a thing. He 2-0'd me and I was sent to Loser's.

I don't remember who I played in Loser's first, but it was a pretty decent Noob/Kung Lao player. I ended up with a 2-0 victory and moved on.

Next up was possibly the best Liu Kang player at the tournament in MCPeanuts. It was by far the best match I had the entire tournament and we went back and forth, till it went down to Final Match, Final Round. With about 25% percent of my life left, and only about 15% of his, Liu jumped at me and I instinctively did a Blade Spin...only to have the input bug rear its ugly head and give me a standing 3. He proceeded to combo me, and eliminate me from the tournament. We both wished each other well and shook hands and that was that. Needless to say I was pretty upset, but I realize that it's part of the game and shit like this is gonna happen. Didn't ruin my experience one bit, and I'm so glad I was able to be apart of the greatest MK tournament ever.

My only regret is that I didn't get to go back on stream and show what Baraka is truly capable of against a top player. In the end, that's just the way the cards fell. It wasn't a total loss though, I did get to play those same top players in casuals. And lemme tell you, having guys like Shujinkydink, Big D, Pig of the Hut, Lord of the Fly, etc. tell me I have one of the best Barakas they've ever seen, nothing beats that feeling. And some of my better play was showcased on the atlmk stream the night before the tournament, which I'm very happy with. So definitely check it out if you guys haven't seen it and lemme know what you guys think.

Overall the biggest thing I learned this weekend is if you get good enough, ANY player with ANY character can win. Big D showed us all that. But at the highest level, even the best characters need a little help, so I'm definitely gonna pick yo a Secondary and prepare my ass off for EVO. Baraka WILL make a top 8 before the year is done ;)

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Man, you blew me the fuck up the first round, and I sat there thinking "I'm going to lose to Baraka." I barely knew your mixups from the few Baraka's out there, so I just said fuck it and Kaballed my way to victory. Good games either way, man, and keep repping Baraka. If Dizzy can find a way around Kabal's zoning, you can probably figure something out, and you'll be that much better for it.

Cerebru

Noob
So as some of you may know, I was at Final Round this past weekend. It was quite possibly the greatest tournament I've ever been to, and definitely the greatest (and toughest) MK9 tournament thus far. Got to meet some amazing people and players, and I feel like I leveled up a shit ton for being there. For any of you afraid to go to a major like this, I say you absolutely should go no matter your skill level or what character you play. You will ALWAYS improve playing with high level players. Not to mention the MK community is one of the friendliest, most helpful communities in all the FGC. Players are always willing to help one another, so get off your lazy ass and GO!

Now with that being said, before I went to FR I came to the decision of playing Baraka ONLY, all tournament. No secondaries. No nothing. Why you ask? Well pretty much because I wanted to prove a point...that Baraka is not the worst character in the game, and despite his many flaws, he can still compete at a high level when played properly. Though I didn't pull a Big D and get top 8 with him, I did go 2-2. Now at first glance that may not seem like much, you have to realize how insanely stacked every pool at this tournament was. There were no bad players. Practically everyone was solid. So going 2-2 is an accomplishment in my book.

My first match was on stream against 3PiecesofBread, a Scorpion player from Louisiana. It was both of our first times being on stream for a major tournament, so we were both incredibly nervous, and it showed in our game unfortunately :p. I ended up winning 2-0, but I didn't feel like a winner because of how poorly we both played. I actually got the chance to play 3PiecesofBread's Scorp the night before in a 5v5 Money Match between Florida and Louisiana, and he actually ended up knocking me out after I knocked out 2 of their best players. So I knew his Scorp was no slouch. But the next day on stream, I could tell he was very off his game, so I didn't feel like it was a very well deserved victory, but a win's a win and I advanced.

Next up was a well known Kabal player in GGA Soonk. Now the matchup for Kabal is already bad...add the fact that Soonk uses a Hitbox, and the matchup went from 7-3 to 9-1. I took 1 round, but with his iAGBs being so insanely close to the ground, I couldn't do a thing. He 2-0'd me and I was sent to Loser's.

I don't remember who I played in Loser's first, but it was a pretty decent Noob/Kung Lao player. I ended up with a 2-0 victory and moved on.

Next up was possibly the best Liu Kang player at the tournament in MCPeanuts. It was by far the best match I had the entire tournament and we went back and forth, till it went down to Final Match, Final Round. With about 25% percent of my life left, and only about 15% of his, Liu jumped at me and I instinctively did a Blade Spin...only to have the input bug rear its ugly head and give me a standing 3. He proceeded to combo me, and eliminate me from the tournament. We both wished each other well and shook hands and that was that. Needless to say I was pretty upset, but I realize that it's part of the game and shit like this is gonna happen. Didn't ruin my experience one bit, and I'm so glad I was able to be apart of the greatest MK tournament ever.

My only regret is that I didn't get to go back on stream and show what Baraka is truly capable of against a top player. In the end, that's just the way the cards fell. It wasn't a total loss though, I did get to play those same top players in casuals. And lemme tell you, having guys like Shujinkydink, Big D, Pig of the Hut, Lord of the Fly, etc. tell me I have one of the best Barakas they've ever seen, nothing beats that feeling. And some of my better play was showcased on the atlmk stream the night before the tournament, which I'm very happy with. So definitely check it out if you guys haven't seen it and lemme know what you guys think.

Overall the biggest thing I learned this weekend is if you get good enough, ANY player with ANY character can win. Big D showed us all that. But at the highest level, even the best characters need a little help, so I'm definitely gonna pick yo a Secondary and prepare my ass off for EVO. Baraka WILL make a top 8 before the year is done ;)
we played casuals and your baraka was solid man....

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Man, you blew me the fuck up the first round, and I sat there thinking "I'm going to lose to Baraka." I barely knew your mixups from the few Baraka's out there, so I just said fuck it and Kaballed my way to victory. Good games either way, man, and keep repping Baraka. If Dizzy can find a way around Kabal's zoning, you can probably figure something out, and you'll be that much better for it.
Thanks bro. Your Kabal was too solid. Kabal/Kitana are my two worst matchups, so I was pissed when I saw you, 16bit, and CD all in my pool. I just don't see how I can get around that zoning. Cage at least has F+3 which is I think 9 frames and moves him forward, and he can combo into Nut Punch from it. All I have is Blade Charge, which only pushes you back further. I need more matchup exp though. I'm thinking the key is to keep you in the corner as long as possible and bait out EX Dashes on wakeup. You have Xbl or PSN? Cuz I'd love to get more games in against you.

And Cerebus your Raiden was really good man! Second best there next to B WizZ. There are like no Raidens in FL so I need exp in that matchup as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Thanks bro. Your Kabal was too solid. Kabal/Kitana are my two worst matchups, so I was pissed when I saw you, 16bit, and CD all in my pool. I just don't see how I can get around that zoning. Cage at least has F+3 which is I think 9 frames and moves him forward, and he can combo into Nut Punch from it. All I have is Blade Charge, which only pushes you back further. I need more matchup exp though. I'm thinking the key is to keep you in the corner as long as possible and bait out EX Dashes on wakeup. You have Xbl or PSN? Cuz I'd love to get more games in against you.

And Cerebus your Raiden was really good man! Second best there next to B WizZ. There are like no Raidens in FL so I need exp in that matchup as well.

Dizzy never uses F3 to get in, he uses dash duck blocking and dash d1 when he gets close in hopes of AA'ing into combo. You're right about getting me in the corner, though, and once you do, keep me there. My only ways out are Tornado Slam(overhead) and Nomad Dash, which is full punish on block. Once you get Kabal to the corner, take a step back and evaluate the situation. That charge is fast and damn near safe when spaced perfectly, so use that to your advantage.

I'm on PSN but don't really play online that much. You can add me "soonkdelgado" but you'll have to let me know when you want to play on here or something, because the PS3 is never online unless I need it to be. I'll gladly play some games, though, so let me know.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
in the one match that did get recorded (vs scorpion) ill just say one thing, you jumped far far to much and got away with alot of it. i know getting the jip with raka is good and all but you must learn to control your jumping

Im glad you did good man. Makes me wanna go to tournaments so bad so I can level up and show what im made of. 2-2 isnt bad at all. Especially because everyone was good there, and you were using Baraka. Major props man.

I'm surprised you didn't mention that you flawlessed me in the penultimate round of our set, lol. You got a legit Baraka, dude. Hope to see you at some more tournaments.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Literally stopped reading here.
Ok? And?

I'm not taking anything away from Soonk, he probably would have bodied me no matter what controller he used, he's that solid. But imo, hitboxes do make it somewhat easier to execute certain moves, especially in MK. It's not like I'm saying they should be banned, that's fucking stupid. It'd be like saying Arcade Sticks should be banned because they make 1 frame links easier due to plinking. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit, but I think everyone understood what I meant by it :/.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
I'm surprised you didn't mention that you flawlessed me in the penultimate round of our set, lol. You got a legit Baraka, dude. Hope to see you at some more tournaments.
Honestly dude our matches were so damn intense, I didn't even remember that. I really wish it would've been streamed/recorded.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
in the one match that did get recorded (vs scorpion) ill just say one thing, you jumped far far to much and got away with alot of it. i know getting the jip with raka is good and all but you must learn to control your jumping
A lot of shit happened during that match. But to sum it up, Down just stopped working randomly on my stick during the match. It wasn't the input bug, because I kept goin for down pokes like 4 or 5 times in a row, and they just WOULD NOT come out. So I basically panicked and started jumping because he wasn't really punishing me for it, so I pretty much played like it was an online match and jumped the entire time lol. Looking back, I probably should have said something, but I was just too in the zone. Plus I didn't wanna look like an ass on stream. Just a lot of factors in that match. Trust me though, that was a poor representation of how I normally play.

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
SomeCubanGuy Do NOT stop playing baraka ever. Your gonna prove just how good baraka can be at CEO. Do not pick up an alt, just keep working at it man. Respect.

VOR

Noob

Do you have a link and time mark to your atlmk matches? i'd be interested in watching :) But yeah, I think having a secondary character is good for ANY player and there's many examples of that. Having some kind of zoner or anti-zoner could be helpful. Looking forward to seeing the vids.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Do you have a link and time mark to your atlmk matches? i'd be interested in watching :) But yeah, I think having a secondary character is good for ANY player and there's many examples of that. Having some kind of zoner or anti-zoner could be helpful. Looking forward to seeing the vids.
Sure man. http://www.twitch.tv/atlmk/b/310518973 @ around the 6:08:00 mark.