What's new

General/Other Army of Tarkatans: Baraka mains post here!

FlipinFlava

Kuya Andy
Baraka was my first main for awhile when the game came out. I thought he was the worst in the game, but little did I know it was just my skill at the time. I've went to Sindel, Raiden, Johnny, Sektor, and Liu Kang, but recently I wen't back to raka and have been finding more success with him than the others, strangely. He just fits my style more. Hopefully I'm welcomed back into the tarkatan army so I can contribute!
nah, baraka was definitely one of the worst when the game first came out

that's actually why i started playing as him, because i wanted to troll people online by beating them with bad characters

but then they buffed him at around the same time i started playing competitively, and i stuck with him since he was the character i was the most experienced with

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Hi Tarkatan army, I have played Baraka since day one and despite a little over a year of frustration I still enjoy learning more about the character and how to improve my gameplay with him.

Someone was kind enough to compliment my play at Season's Beatings: Summer Slam this weekend during Medina's stream and I figured why not make a silly signature image and then greet the rest of the brethren. I am still missing many above average tools in Baraka's arsenal, but will get there eventually. Wanted to thank you all for the great contributions to the Baraka forum; just a little skimming and I already feel more knowledgeable about the character.

PSN: Osirun
Aww hell, I can already see it now....

Tilt Studios vs. Arcade Legacy Part 3: Return of the Osi

:p

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
nah, baraka was definitely one of the worst when the game first came out

that's actually why i started playing as him, because i wanted to troll people online by beating them with bad characters

but then they buffed him at around the same time i started playing competitively, and i stuck with him since he was the character i was the most experienced with
Really? If I remember correctly his chop chop had a auto correct and he had a infinite in the corner. :eek:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Really? If I remember correctly his chop chop had a auto correct and he had a infinite in the corner. :eek:
Which made little to no difference in competitive play lol. Okay the auto correct did but the infinite needed like 3 bars of meter.

Give him his auto correct back, NRS please....

FlipinFlava

Kuya Andy
auto-correct chop chop was good for catching people who liked to jump or teleport way too much but any good player wasn't going to fall for that much at all

iirc, the chop chop loop (wasn't an infinite) in the corner was like a 2 frame link and it wasn't easy at all to push or keep someone into the corner

doing a combo into the reset got you like 14% and he only had a throw/blockstring mix-up afterwards. his most damaging combos struggled to break 28% and knocked the opponent away and he didn't have the same tools he does today to get back into the opponent's face.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Well that's lame. I have to say yesterday I played and someone crossed me up and was behind me during a chop chop and the game placed him in front of me...I don't think it was auto correct, but maybe a glitch or something? What's killing me with raka is his slow start ups. For instance someone trying to cross me up and I input spin, the game makes the sound effect, but it doesn't show the animation and I eat a full combo.

How do you guys feel about f+44? It's a string that can be repeated back to back and if the opponent is conditioned for it, eventually they try a special move after the first one, which can lead to a combo punish. I think rakas pressure strings are great man. I now I sound like a raka noob, but doing f+44 after strings is also great. If a 221+2 is blocked it can be followed up by virtually anything you want. f+2 slices, b3 2 slices, b3 22, 121, 212. I know it's the safest to do slices after everything, but it's all about mixups and once your opponent expect slices after everything you can throw out a mixup after a blocked string. Like I said I know I sound like a noob because you guys know all of this, but I'm having a lot of fun and am excited using raka right now lol.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Alright so I've been back on the Tarkatan wagon for a few days now and I gotta say, Raka is underrated. If played smart and mixing up your game play is exhibited then he is very dangerous. Someone around here said his f+4 is hot garbage, but I strongly disagree. It just depends on what you follow it up with.

Also, welcome to the army Mimi! You will make a fine Tarkatan lol.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Alright so I've been back on the Tarkatan wagon for a few days now and I gotta say, Raka is underrated. If played smart and mixing up your game play is exhibited then he is very dangerous. Someone around here said his f+4 is hot garbage, but I strongly disagree. It just depends on what you follow it up with.

Also, welcome to the army Mimi! You will make a fine Tarkatan lol.
hes under rated as in he's not bottom 5 but hes no hidden top tier gem.
when u play people who really know the baraka MU its tough to get that tarkatan swag going at times.
yea man f4 is awesome,it USED to be special cancelable :(

also mimi thanks you,
yea shes shaping up fine, she saw a picture of liu kang and shit all over it,smart girl :coffee:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
1man3letters just now beginning to watch the stream from may 23rd. This weekend is my last only baraka tourney and these vids help(although they are practically in slo mo because of my computer).

If any of my matches get archived or recorded this weekend, I will post them here.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
CEO this weekend guys don't forget! I'll be playing Baraka all tournament long. Got REO, Clint the Beast, and NYCChris G in my pool. Wish me luck, and let's hope I don't run into REO early lol.

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
Hey Tarkatans ♥

Is the list in the OP only for offline players? I'd like to be added to it if not, I got James & SomeCubanGuy on my PSN list and willing play for a spot if need be :p

1man3letters

Hey Tarkatans ♥

Is the list in the OP only for offline players? I'd like to be added to it if not, I got James & SomeCubanGuy on my PSN list and willing play for a spot if need be :p
no its for all tarkatans :D
wow it hasnt been updatedin a good while,
Zoidberg747 please edit moody's tag in (i dont like editing active members posts without permission)

1man3letters

Tis good to be among you all :)

Baraka was my original main when the game came out, but after they nerfed his corner game i dropped him in favor of quan. Ive now decided to be true to my roots and main him again. im excited to see what I can come up with
well welcome back :D

be good to have you working on the character again, maybe even find some new swagger god old raka,
onward sir dink!!

PhilAuto

Noob
Hey everybody. I got this game this last summer and I've been maining baraka ever since. My xbox live profile is my name (PhilAuto). I don't play online much anymore, its all about that offline. I go to local tournaments in AZ when I can. Im sure some video of me playing will be up here at some point. My other main is ermac so you may see me playing him too

1man3letters

Hey everybody. I got this game this last summer and I've been maining baraka ever since. My xbox live profile is my name (PhilAuto). I don't play online much anymore, its all about that offline. I go to local tournaments in AZ when I can. Im sure some video of me playing will be up here at some point. My other main is ermac so you may see me playing him too
welcome man.
yea if ya end up getting any videos just post them in the baraka video thread.
good to add another offline baraka to the group :D