What's new

Strategy Ares Strategy, Set-Ups, and Mind Games

News Bulletin (in my world):

Ares can safely forward-dash-cancel his trait (TDC) after a blocked b21, save for super moves.

b21~TDC = -3f, give or take one frame

I tested it with Flash's flying uppercut--the fastest reversal in the game--and Ares can block just in time. Superman's Kryptonian Smash gets him though.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Ive been screwing around in practise mode with his b2.

When you do his b21 string in the corner, on hit you can combo of it with d1d4.

So you can do:
- b2d4 wich most ares players know i guess.
-b21 wich is +3 on block and comboable in corner

-b21 close GS

-b2/1 teleport

-see post above from waywardstranger :p

-b21 mb invisibilty, i just tested that you can d1 before flash can reversal with lightning charge

Im gonna use this starter alot more and see how i do.

Let me know what you guys think of this.

Post edited.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Dislexsik
You can get around 45% with b21.

b21-112-112d4-f3-112

It's a good alternative to b23 so you don't put yourself in the corner. As for the safe trait cancel I'm definitely going to start using it. Ares keeps getting better and better. :D

In the corner i do b21-d1d4-f3-f23-112~special, i think its around +40% (had to edit this saw i missed something)

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Yes, forward dash and then a slight step afterwards. It could be universal, there's a video of Shazam doing something like this with F3-F3.
Man, i still have problems doing this, seems like the timing is very strict. I know doing the f3 twice for that splat where opponent immediatly stands is possible but its very hard to do.

InFlames

dead
Man, i still have problems doing this, seems like the timing is very strict. I know doing the f3 twice for that splat where opponent immediatly stands is possible but its very hard to do.
Which character are you doing it on? So far against low to medium hitbox characters I find the timing to be a lot easier, but for high hitbox characters the timing seems stricter, it's possible but hard to do constantly. I'll try to look into it more, perhaps the timing is different for some characters.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Which character are you doing it on? So far against low to medium hitbox characters I find the timing to be a lot easier, but for high hitbox characters the timing seems stricter, it's possible but hard to do constantly. I'll try to look into it more, perhaps the timing is different for some characters.
I can't really remember on wich characters i use it on. So after b3 you dash forward and slightly walk forward? And does the timing/spacing change on wich height the b3 hits?

InFlames

dead
I can't really remember on wich characters i use it on. So after b3 you dash forward and slightly walk forward? And does the timing/spacing change on wich height the b3 hits?
Yeah it does. If you hit a low b3 the timing will be different. The dash then step forward is the timing if you hit it normally.

InFlames

dead
Anyone else use 112~Teleport(behind) into NJ2 as a corner combo ender? Ever since I saw that video by Snowyy I've been interested in it. So far it has worked really well for me, it's a good mix-up from 112~Invisibility to throw off your opponent.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Anyone else use 112~Teleport(behind) into NJ2 as a corner combo ender? Ever since I saw that video by Snowyy I've been interested in it. So far it has worked really well for me, it's a good mix-up from 112~Invisibility to throw off your opponent.
Pretty much every time. Not always with a neutral jump, but 112~tele is my standard ender, if I'm not going for a different set up. You can change which side you teleport onto based on the 112 timing and it's completely ambiguous - it always looks like you teleported into the corner and are standing on their body with your back to the corner. It's visually impossible to tell which side you're on until you move or they stand up.
I posted a video about it, but a certain high profile Ares player told me it was gimmicky and I got annoyed and deleted it, haha

It's dirty. Especially in a tournament set against someone who's never seen it before. They get hit first time completely unexpecting it for a second corner combo, then the second time they block the other way only to get blown up again and that's a whole match gone. Even after they know how it works they still have to guess and it's completely safe.

InFlames

dead
I posted a video about it, but a certain high profile Ares player told me it was gimmicky and I got annoyed and deleted it, lol
You should've kept it, a full detailed video showing it would really help. I found that on some characters he actually stays in the corner which could be good if they counter-picked with said character and already know about it Whoops sorry, I didn't notice you explained this in your post, thanks for letting me know why that happened.

Plus gimmicks are everywhere, just look at all the Godsmack reset stuff. :p

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yeah, I'm gonna either repost it or make a new video with a bunch of corner stuff. I'm still sitting on some pretty messed up corner stuff that I haven't seen anyone using or talking about here yet that I've been meaning to post.

Speaking of, what's your best side reversing combo for when your back's in the corner? I've got a pretty dirty corner crossup set up, but I'd like to leave them in the corner rather than putting them midscreen when I use it. Right now I'm using b23, 1, f23, f23, 112

InFlames

dead
Yeah, I'm gonna either repost it or make a new video with a bunch of corner stuff. I'm still sitting on some pretty messed up corner stuff that I haven't seen anyone using or talking about here yet that I've been meaning to post.

Speaking of, what's your best side reversing combo for when your back's in the corner? I've got a pretty dirty corner crossup set up, but I'd like to leave them in the corner rather than putting them midscreen when I use it. Right now I'm using b23, 1, f23, f23, 112
Yeah I use the same combo. Looking forward to that video and your secret corner stuff.