What's new

Strategy Ares Strategy, Set-Ups, and Mind Games

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Only a fool would challenge me at my own game!

Time for day 1 crap...

Invisibility is the obvious trickery Ares has. It's the same as Smoke's in MK9, regular version is somewhat visible, MB version is completely transparent.

After full screen knock downs, you can go invisible, teleport, then mix them up. It works better if you're completely invisible, but the regular version works fine for confusing them. Just don't be too predictable about it. In general, if there's an opportunity to go invisible, take it.

His Axe Trait is good for free chip damage. Whenever you have Axe, chuck that shit.

What are you guys using for an anti-air? d2 is pretty slow, but it's the only thing other than his trait that I've been using to anti-air.

Will add more and make this better later. Please post some Ares strats!

Mosp

Noob
I got a reset that I've been using, I'll post it tomorrow and everything else I've been using with him.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Juggs

Yea, his AA is pretty shit. D2 loses to most jump ins. Safest is armored launcher, the F3 since B3 is slow and vulnerable to getting broken.

His axe is mad negative on block, so I'm hesitant to ever throw it out.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Hey I noticed if you end combos with overhead sword it leaves them standing . Not that I have found a good use for it yet but something to screw around with. maybe free projectile or low sword ?

Mosp

Noob
Hey I noticed if you end combos with overhead sword it leaves them standing . Not that I have found a good use for it yet but something to screw around with. maybe free projectile or low sword ?
If you end the combo with overhead sword you won't be able to use a low sword for a mixup after.

McNasty

Moist.
If you end the combo with overhead sword you won't be able to use a low sword for a mixup after.
hey mosp will you be repping ares at WNF tonight? If so good luck!

One thing I noticed last night is if anyone wants to try and go toe to toe with you zoning in hopes that you will just teleport meter burn projectile is a great trade in Ares' favor and is a good time to either go in with tele and bait a wake up or stay full screen and chuck the axe as they are standing up.

also from my matches last night nightwings staff stance ground pound is really good vs ares. This is what made me start meter burning projectiles to grab an edge in the zoning.

Oh and fuck jump ins... Feels so weird jumping to AA...... NOT A FAN.

Mosp

Noob
hey mosp will you be repping ares at WNF tonight? If so good luck!

One thing I noticed last night is if anyone wants to try and go toe to toe with you zoning in hopes that you will just teleport meter burn projectile is a great trade in Ares' favor and is a good time to either go in with tele and bait a wake up or stay full screen and chuck the axe as they are standing up.

also from my matches last night nightwings staff stance ground pound is really good vs ares. This is what made me start meter burning projectiles to grab an edge in the zoning.

Oh and fuck jump ins... Feels so weird jumping to AA...... NOT A FAN.
I'm definitely gonna try to make it, I wanna show off what Ares can really do :p

Enenra

Go to hell.
Ares is a ridiculous counter zoner, punisher, and harasser. His zoning is pretty good, but without meter his stuff isn't too hard to get around.

B23 is an absurdly good whiff/bait punisher, and his D1 reminds me of Smoke's D3 in MK9 and can be chained into trait which is so good. His pressure actually is pretty legit currently because you can dash cancel out of his traits, and if you guess right and they make a move while you let go of your trait they eat damage and fall into harassment. Most zoning specials apart from GAs arrows or something with REALLY fast recovery can be teleported on reaction for combo. Turning invisible and shuffling just outside of F3 or B2 range is really good mind games. I saw Juggs mixing in ENH projectiles to catch people trying to low block or duck regular projectiles which is a great strategy. Back to cancelling his trait, it's awesome mind games even in your zoning and harassment. Awesome character.

As much as people hate Deathstroke, he is baby food for Ares. Ares can keep up in a zoning war, but usually can tele on reaction for combo.

I'm having trouble with Flash though. Character is a prick.

Alright. Based on what i've seen so far, Ares is very complex.
He isn't a main you can easily pickup.
Actually, his whole play style is revolved around reaction and counters.
It's too early to give a full analysis, but i'll try.

The reason he is the "God of War" in the game is because in order to main him, you must perfect the game in a sense.
You must know all the frames and how everyone plays in order to react. His "mind games" work to an extent. Not what I expected.
So in a way, he is the Shang(MK)/Mokujin(Tekken)/Seth(SF). It's not that his moves are imitations of everyone elses, it's the fact that you have to be like a Shang player.

His mind games aren't good enough. (Atleast for now)
He does have pressure though. You get in with a b1 then 22 then d1 then d4 or 33. You can mix it up.
He's very slow. You could think of him as a more combo-y doomsday. His combos are limited though.
In fact, he IS limited. His trait should be immensely stronger. His specials need 1 additional move.

I believe for a fact that he will be buffed. For his zoning, he can zone effectively with meter. Again, his trait isn't as useful as you think. His sword/axe disappears mid screen if you get hit. And the thought of having to use my trait for a juggle is ridiculous. (Then waiting 8 seconds)

He has potential. I believe I still underestimate him. Personally I think he does best w/pressure up close.

Everyone is saying "Oh, Ares? It's all about mind games."

But everyone seems to be forgetting, you cant play mind games on people who do not think.

Also, you can continue a string and juggle opponents with (ex)dd2.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Alright. Based on what i've seen so far, Ares is very complex.
He isn't a main you can easily pickup.
Actually, his whole play style is revolved around reaction and counters.
It's too early to give a full analysis, but i'll try.

The reason he is the "God of War" in the game is because in order to main him, you must perfect the game in a sense.
You must know all the frames and how everyone plays in order to react. His "mind games" work to an extent. Not what I expected.
So in a way, he is the Shang(MK)/Mokujin(Tekken)/Seth(SF). It's not that his moves are imitations of everyone elses, it's the fact that you have to be like a Shang player.

His mind games aren't good enough. (Atleast for now)
He does have pressure though. You get in with a b1 then 22 then d1 then d4 or 33. You can mix it up.
He's very slow. You could think of him as a more combo-y doomsday. His combos are limited though.
In fact, he IS limited. His trait should be immensely stronger. His specials need 1 additional move.

I believe for a fact that he will be buffed. For his zoning, he can zone effectively with meter. Again, his trait isn't as useful as you think. His sword/axe disappears mid screen if you get hit. And the thought of having to use my trait for a juggle is ridiculous. (Then waiting 8 seconds)

He has potential. I believe I still underestimate him. Personally I think he does best w/pressure up close.
So, what I took away from this is that Ares is basically the Raiden of the game + some pressure...?

Everyone is saying "Oh, Ares? It's all about mind games."

But everyone seems to be forgetting, you cant play mind games on people who do not think.
The solution is to not have matches with bad players.

Also, you can continue a string and juggle opponents with (ex)dd2.
MB dd2 ~ b3 -> whatever you can get.

So, what I took away from this is that Ares is basically the Raiden of the game + some pressure...?

The solution is to not have matches with bad players.

MB dd2 ~ b3 -> whatever you can get.
Vilen, finally. You out of all people understand how awkward and stiff the game feels.

Now add that to Ares' flow. It's not as convenient to throw out the trait cancels. (or even throw out the trait at all.)

Trying to d4 after a string feels like a game of 50/50. :/

He's stiff and restricted enough, and the system for Injustice just makes it worse.

-

He's somewhat the Raiden of the game. Teleport wise, but that's it.. He's definitely not as fast as Raiden. Has a mix of Kenshi and Shao Kahn.

Still indecisive about who he resembles.

And to everyone reading, i'm not bashing on him.

It's just day 1 thoughts. I usually aim my focus towards the cons when I talk about characters.

Still enjoy playing as the God of War.

Stay Immortal.

And to everyone reading, i'm not bashing on him.

It's just day 1 thoughts. I usually aim my focus towards the cons when I talk about characters.

Still enjoy playing as the God of War.

Stay Immortal.
Everything you said was accurate but i need to disagree on one thing.
Ares is not limited, he has all the tools. he honestly shines from jump distance, he can footsie whore you, HARD.

loogie

Noob
All the 'can and can't' this early in the game is not constructive...
How would you know if he is limited when you don't know the tools of other chars? Limited against what? Against who? Every char will have limitations in certain areas ... That's normal. So it's about finding the right and effective tools to best use the character. He is a main for me, so i'll be investing the time needed.
That's not to say i don't agree or i agree, we don't know the matchups and have no enough experience and familiarity with the game mechanics since its a hybrid of MK and SF/Capcom to be able to judge ANY character, everything now is just theorizing and speculating.
Cheers

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm doing well with Ares, against good players too. Maybe you just suck Astrocytic, lol.

Naw seriously tho, his strings are really slow. You can interrupt almost all of them. You can poke out his b23 before it connects, as well as others. His d1 is good, but has no range. So far only 1 really bad match-up, Superman. It's nearly impossible to beat Superman. He out zones Ares hard. And you can't punish his strings on block with d1 because he's too far away. There's almost nothing you can do if Superman knows the match-up.

Ares has some good match-ups though, he destroys Deathstroke and other zoners. Against Green Lantern, Ares can just zone him out. He sucks against Killer Frost though.

His B23 as a combo-ender leads to an unteachable knock down, which opens the door for some very interesting God Smack reset options. Add armor to the MB version and he becomes much more scary.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
His B23 as a combo-ender leads to an unteachable knock down, which opens the door for some very interesting God Smack reset options. Add armor to the MB version and he becomes much more scary.
yes, that's why we need to come up with some good mb god smack combos. seems like his weapon dash canceling could be the unexplored key to getting bigger damage

Mosp

Noob
I'm doing well with Ares, against good players too. Maybe you just suck Astrocytic, lol.

Naw seriously tho, his strings are really slow. You can interrupt almost all of them. You can poke out his b23 before it connects, as well as others. His d1 is good, but has no range. So far only 1 really bad match-up, Superman. It's nearly impossible to beat Superman. He out zones Ares hard. And you can't punish his strings on block with d1 because he's too far away. There's almost nothing you can do if Superman knows the match-up.

Ares has some good match-ups though, he destroys Deathstroke and other zoners. Against Green Lantern, Ares can just zone him out. He sucks against Killer Frost though.
He zones out Green Lantern? Please tell me how.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
B3 j3 B12 leads to very good damage after a MB god smack.
Does the opponent have time to poke him out of MB god smack after getting hit by b23? If not, couldn't you keep resetting as long as you have meter? You could probably get close to 100% doing (combo with sword into b23), (mb godsmack, b23)x3 then finish the combo after the last rep