What's new

Strategy Ares Strategy, Set-Ups, and Mind Games

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
but a certain high profile Ares player told me it was gimmicky and I got annoyed and deleted it, haha

hmmm..wonder who that was??? :confused: lol

yea before i start playing ares getting the 112~tele mindfuckery done on me by LaR was not fun,
now that im using ares, its very fun :D
also you should make that corner video u were talking about in your other post aswell

ThatPinkKid

The Underdog of the Century
I'm not usually the fighter that strings together 7 hits for, say, 40%. I usually give each move a "job". It works pretty well for me.
For example (Ares):
God Smack: Covers distance and zoning issues.
Fire Ball: Basic Projectile great for hitting enemies while theyre getting up
Teleport: Zoning/Mind Games
Invisibility: Dont really use it. But when I do I usually teleport and go for either a low or a throw.

ThatPinkKid

The Underdog of the Century
I'd
Alright. Based on what i've seen so far, Ares is very complex.
He isn't a main you can easily pickup.
Actually, his whole play style is revolved around reaction and counters.
It's too early to give a full analysis, but i'll try.

The reason he is the "God of War" in the game is because in order to main him, you must perfect the game in a sense.
You must know all the frames and how everyone plays in order to react. His "mind games" work to an extent. Not what I expected.
So in a way, he is the Shang(MK)/Mokujin(Tekken)/Seth(SF). It's not that his moves are imitations of everyone elses, it's the fact that you have to be like a Shang player.

His mind games aren't good enough. (Atleast for now)
He does have pressure though. You get in with a b1 then 22 then d1 then d4 or 33. You can mix it up.
He's very slow. You could think of him as a more combo-y doomsday. His combos are limited though.
In fact, he IS limited. His trait should be immensely stronger. His specials need 1 additional move.

I believe for a fact that he will be buffed. For his zoning, he can zone effectively with meter. Again, his trait isn't as useful as you think. His sword/axe disappears mid screen if you get hit. And the thought of having to use my trait for a juggle is ridiculous. (Then waiting 8 seconds)

He has potential. I believe I still underestimate him. Personally I think he does best w/pressure up close.

Everyone is saying "Oh, Ares? It's all about mind games."

But everyone seems to be forgetting, you cant play mind games on people who do not think.

Also, you can continue a string and juggle opponents with (ex)dd2.

I'd have to disagree, the first time I played this game was at a tourney with only minute's before to learn controls with Cyborg. (Big mistake) I picked Ares cause he was the only character that interested me and I ended up placing 3rd out of roughly 20.

4x4lo8o

Noob
News Bulletin (in my world):

Ares can safely forward-dash-cancel his trait (TDC) after a blocked b21, save for super moves.

b21~TDC = -3f, give or take one frame

I tested it with Flash's flying uppercut--the fastest reversal in the game--and Ares can block just in time. Superman's Kryptonian Smash gets him though.
I've seen this like 3 times and meant to comment or try it and I finally got around to it.

This works with 3d2 as well. I'm not sure about applications yet. I think dash in throw might be pretty good. Usually people are going to be holding down, so I'm not sure how to exploit that. All Ares overheads are slow enough that they should be pressing buttons by the time you get them out.

I like it. I'm going to start using it, see what happens.

InFlames

dead
I've seen this like 3 times and meant to comment or try it and I finally got around to it.

This works with 3d2 as well. I'm not sure about applications yet. I think dash in throw might be pretty good. Usually people are going to be holding down, so I'm not sure how to exploit that. All Ares overheads are slow enough that they should be pressing buttons by the time you get them out.

I like it. I'm going to start using it, see what happens.
I've been using 3D2 Trait Cancel for some time now. You can do 3D2-Trait Cancel-223 or 22~Dark Energy if the overhead hits. It makes hit-confirming so much easier.

Grave__Intent

Death's Trusty Side-Kick!
I have to say I recently picked up Ares and I'm still learning his set-ups and strats, but so far I really like his playstyle.