What's new

Strategy Ares Strategy, Set-Ups, and Mind Games

Does the opponent have time to poke him out of MB god smack after getting hit by b23? If not, couldn't you keep resetting as long as you have meter? You could probably get close to 100% doing (combo with sword into b23), (mb godsmack, b23)x3 then finish the combo after the last rep
Certain wake-up attacks completely beat the reset because of invincibility. From what i've tested, the reset (MB or standard) beats out people trying to jump out if timed right. Need to do more research but from the looks of it these resets added to his invisibility/teleport mix ups are going to give ares a lethal knockdown game.

McNasty

Moist.
since were going over mu's a bit prepare yourself for nightwing... I had a lot of trouble with this character.

A cool set up I was messing with last night is ending bnb with 223 far godsmack vs certain wake ups that attack in front of the character they will not auto correct(could be training mode) and you either land the unblockable if their wake up is not in the invincibility window or you recover in time to punish behind them. Might be janky(need to test more) but could be a useful alternative to teleport vs some of the cast.

Enenra

Go to hell.
B3 can be held and cancelled it seems, great for baiting charge ins. 112 is a great string because it can be cancelled into specials or trait pressure but it's pretty safe still.

I think 112 is the go to string, it leads to a lot of options, staggers on hit, you don't get buttfucked on block, and it's very easy to hitconfrim into D4. I like saving his sword for combos but throwing out the axe when the opponent jumps in my zoning.

Ending combos with invisibility is my favorite move. People do dumb things when they can't see me, and it makes his teleport even more deadly. Corner pressure is awesome as well.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Instead of going for the Godsmack reset, you can go for his sweep for an untechable knock down. This sets up a free cross-up meaty attempt. There's also some other set-ups that I'm working on, but still have to test them.

Mosp

Noob
Instead of going for the Godsmack reset, you can go for his sweep for an untechable knock down. This sets up a free cross-up meaty attempt. There's also some other set-ups that I'm working on, but still have to test them.
I've been looking into using his sweep some more too since it sets up good crossup opportunities. Still not sure about ending combos with it though.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I've been playing around with ending block strings with down axe (b4u) and down sword (4u). Seems to set up good crossover opportunities.

I think i may have found a nice little un-blockable setup, after BnB end with F23 xx Axe trait then on their wake up launch MB fireball then do far god smack. Need to do more testing but i think this beats a lot of wake up options and if they block the fire ball it should block stun them long enough to land the GS.

Ares best anit air is block. Or if you know for certain they are going to jump, jf2 into 112xxfireball, Meterless and creates distance. Also MB fireball is godlike.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Ares best anit air is block. Or if you know for certain they are going to jump, jf2 into 112xxfireball, Meterless and creates distance. Also MB fireball is godlike.
I find his d2 works for anti air but it's character dependent. But also using pre-emptive j1 will give you more range and comes out faster.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
MB Godsmack
Blocking and punishing

That is def. his best wake-up

b1 is his best tool in the footsie game. its the perfect whiff punisher into d4 combo. on block you can confirm into b13 and whiff punish just about everything... or just strut backwards. If the 3 part hits.. .they're full screen and blocking your projectiles being all pissed.

He's not as slow frame wise as you'd think... he just has too much recovery on his backdash/forwarddash and it takes a ton to get used to.
He has great options on knockdowns... he's very good. Just awkward to handle.

ares teleport doesnt help him as much as it should with zoners, you can't do anything on reaction with that startup, i doubt he destroys deathstroke, unless his godsmack becomes really good and stays that way i think hes gonna be a fish character with bad mobility.... its a shame his trait is super interesting has so much potential for mindgames.

hell you could cancel into his trait, downwards... move it upwards and then back down and release for a combo... if he can shut down zoning then he can play mindgames, he also has some good mixups, mixups off of everyhing but hes so immobile and his tele is not reactionary and his aa is suspect

teh_jawNie

Teh God Himself
yea his mobility is shitty, u almost have to sit there and wait for the perfect time to use his tele. plus if you tele there is a good chance u get punished from people mashing

The Gabriel

Mean Man
honestly nothing in this game seems to be reactionary so I don't think that's a big deal re: teleport lol. everything has to be dialed-in so early...

I don't think zoning is the end game that people think it is...I've been seeing some characters (catwoman, batman) wavedashing and doing setups to get in that completely shuts down any zoning.

Also are chains interruptable even on hit? I could swear I was getting hit between d1 d4 after d1 connected, but it was online so I wasn't sure. Having to dial in the chain instead of hitconfirming, along with the really bad "hit vs. block" effect add to this too.